inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which 1990s TV show would you like to have a sequel or revival?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 3:29 pm

There are sooooo many iconic and great '90s TV shows but which one would you like to see get a sequel (for example, Boy Meets World got a sequel entitled Girl Meets World) or revival (The X-Files was revived last year)?

For me personally, I would love to see The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996) get REVIVED (but NOT with Jaden Smith in the lead).

http://is5.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video4/v4/5e/17/7b/5e177ba5-ffdc-4063-39e2-b580cfbadca1/mzl.oziwtswl.lsr/600x600bb-85.jpg

P.S: No cartoon shows....this is about non-cartoon TV shows (sitcoms, dramas, game shows, etc).

SHARE which 1990s TV show you would like to see be returned.

Subject: Re: Which 1990s TV show would you like to have a sequel or revival?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 6:10 pm

None.

I hate Hollywood and their trend of endless reboots and remakes.

This is not about movies bud. Also, this is just a fantasy thread....imagine if they don't mess the show up. Lighten up dude :).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/17 at 6:10 pm

None.

I hate Hollywood and their trend of endless reboots and remakes.

Same here. It's one of the reasons why I can't enjoy movies and TV shows from today. It's always 90s nostalgia blocking it through, which makes it really bad for the entertainment value.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 6:16 pm

You guys....stop being Debbie Downers and either comment which show you'd like to see back or don't comment. Please, I'm being serious.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/19/17 at 8:21 pm

You guys....stop being Debbie Downers and either comment which show you'd like to see back or don't comment. Please, I'm being serious.

I agree with what others have said. What makes those TV shows great is that they're relics of a different era. The way that the characters and their respective storylines fit into the overall plots can neither be replaced nor replicated without compromising what made said shows popular in the first place. For this reason, reboots almost never live up to their original counterparts and are therefore a waste of time, money, and talent quite frankly. The novelty factor can wear off quickly too, even among the nostalgia buffs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 8:24 pm

I agree with what others have said. What makes those TV shows great is that they're relics of a different era. The way that the characters and their respective storylines fit into the overall plots can neither be replaced nor replicated without compromising what made said shows popular in the first place. For this reason, reboots almost never live up to their original counterparts and are therefore a waste of time, money, and talent quite frankly. The novelty factor can wear off quickly too, even among the nostalgia buffs.

I get your point and I understand it but that is not always true. Also, this thread about if the show came back and was still good or even better (it's basically in a dream scenario). This is not serious anyways.....it's not like if you say that you want Friends to comeback for example.....a few months later..we hear that Friends is coming back. That's not even possible.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/20/17 at 9:45 am

I'm not a huge fan of remakes either, but to be honest with you, I've always wanted to see a Family Matters remake.

That was (along with Full House) my favorite show when I was a kid. But, while we've already seen a Full House remake, I think Family Matters lends itself better to a remake than Full House does, just due to the show's sheer absurdity. How awesome would it be to see a 40-year-old Urkel, still living with the Winslows, and a 60-year-old Carl Winslow still being injured by his inventions? If they could actually manage to get the original cast back together, I would be very intrigued to see a remake of that show.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 9:53 am

I'm not a huge fan of remakes either, but to be honest with you, I've always wanted to see a Family Matters remake.

That was (along with Full House) my favorite show when I was a kid. But, while we've already seen a Full House remake, I think Family Matters lends itself better to a remake than Full House does, just due to the show's sheer absurdity. How awesome would it be to see a 40-year-old Urkel, still living with the Winslows, and a 60-year-old Carl Winslow still being injured by his inventions? If they could actually manage to get the original cast back together, I would be very intrigued to see a remake of that show.

I think we can all agree that we aren't big fans of remakes but this thread is about if they brought the show back and it was still good or even better than before. I'm a huge fan of Family Matters but a sequel to it would be interesting.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/20/17 at 10:24 am

Something that is a must for me is that the original cast be brought back. I actually like revivals a lot more than I like reboots. With reboots, my thinking always is why would I want to watch the same show I've already seen, just with different actors? Revivals, though, are actually pretty cool because I like the idea of catching up with old characters 20-30 years later and seeing how their lives have changed. That's what I liked about shows like Girl Meets World and Fuller House. Their not perfect, but at least they included the original casts.

Another '90s show I would like to see revived would be the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers with the original cast. That's one thing that disappointed me about the new MMPR movie that came out this year, the fact that it had an all new cast. How awesome would've been to see a plot line about the original Power Rangers (now in their 40's, fat and out of shape) all being called back by Zordon to reclaim their powers? I bet the movie would've made twice as much money if they'd done that.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 10:30 am

Something that is a must for me is that the original cast be brought back. I actually like revivals a lot more than I like reboots. With reboots, my thinking always is why would I want to watch the same show I've already seen, just with different actors? Revivals, though, are actually pretty cool because I like the idea of catching up with old characters 20-30 years later and seeing how their lives have changed. That's what I liked about shows like Girl Meets World and Fuller House. Their not perfect, but at least they included the original casts.

Another '90s show I would like to see revived would be the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers with the original cast. That's one thing that disappointed me about the new MMPR movie that came out this year, the fact that it had an all new cast. How awesome would've been to see a plot line about the original Power Rangers (now in their 40's, fat and out of shape) all being called back by Zordon to reclaim their powers? I bet the movie would've made twice as much money if they'd done that.

Same here I like revivals much better than reboots. I hear that Queen Latifah is working on a Living Single revival....what do you think about that? (if you watched it)

I obviously never watched MMPR growing up but I did watch the Power Rangers growing up (SPD & Mystic Force were my sh*t). However, I wasn't excited for the Power Rangers movie that came out this year....and it justly proved my lack of excitement.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/20/17 at 12:36 pm

I'm sorry if I have to break your heart, but there's no way that's going to happen. Turns out the girl who was the yellow ranger in the original actually passed away in 2001, and the guy who was the blue ranger was criticized for being gay. I can't see MMPR having a revival because of those events. :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 12:46 pm

I'm sorry if I have to break your heart, but there's no way that's going to happen. Turns out the girl who was the yellow ranger in the original actually passed away in 2001, and the guy who was the blue ranger was criticized for being gay. I can't see MMPR having a revival because of those events. :\'(

Thuy Trang was her name and she died on September 3, 2001 in a car accident (she was the only person in the car to die :\'( :\'(). The Blue Ranger (David Yost) has made amends with the rest of the MMPR cast and he makes appearances at comic events and other Power Ranger related things (even with Walter Emmanuel Jones aka The Black Ranger).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/21/17 at 9:45 am

Yeah, I already knew that about the original Yellow Ranger. She died a few weeks before 9/11, and so the story got overshadowed quite a bit. I was thinking that maybe they could get the Yellow Ranger from the Thunder Megazord era, Aisha. She also played the Yellow Ranger in the 1995 movie.

Also, David Yost turns 50 in two years! I can't believe one of the Power Rangers is about to turn 50! The '90s are officially getting old! :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, I already knew that about the original Yellow Ranger. She died a few weeks before 9/11, and so the story got overshadowed quite a bit. I was thinking that maybe they could get the Yellow Ranger from the Thunder Megazord era, Aisha. She also played the Yellow Ranger in the 1995 movie.

Also, David Yost turns 50 in two years! I can't believe one of the Power Rangers is about to turn 50! The '90s are officially getting old! :o

Thuy Trang died 8 days before 9/11 so not weeks but just about a week before. Also, 1999 was 18 years ago and 1990 was 27 years ago....so of course the '90s are officially old.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/17 at 3:46 pm

But does Steve Urkel still have it? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 3:06 pm

But does Steve Urkel still have it? ???

I don't think I can imagine Steve Urkel 19 years after the series ended.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:02 pm

I don't think I can imagine Steve Urkel 19 years after the series ended.

At his age now, I can't see him do that nerdy laugh.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 5:05 pm

He's 40 (turning 41 in November). I don't think he's too old for the role.....however, if there is Family Matters revival then it should be Steve Urkel's son who is the new Urkel.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 5:18 pm

He's 40 (turning 41 in November). I don't think he's too old for the role.....however, if there is Family Matters revival then it should be Steve Urkel's son who is the new Urkel.

They shouldn't do a revival in general on Family Matters.  8-P

Me too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 5:21 pm

They shouldn't do a revival in general on Family Matters.  8-P

I don't either....I was just explaining something to Howard.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:24 pm

That would be a good idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...