inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where is the teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia for the 90s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/22/17 at 10:13 pm

People say there has been no 90s nostalgia but I disagree. I think we've been overloaded with 90s children nostalgia since the late 2000s. We've been overloaded with 90s nostalgia but the teen and ESPECIALLY adult contemporary music, more adult movies, and shows are ignored. I've been so oversaturated with 90s children nostalgia I'm sick of 90s nostalgia.

Subject: Re: Where is the teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia for the 90s?

Written By: preston181 on 04/22/17 at 10:23 pm

Expect it to last at least through the end of the decade. These things happen in twenty year cycles. Plus, given that the 90's are debatably the last decade with a uniqueness to them, (the last 15-17 years seem like they've been one massive blur of the same crap), we may even see it go beyond 2020.

Having been born in 1981, and being a teenager throughout the 90's, they hold a special place, (especially the late 90's), in my memory.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/22/17 at 10:30 pm

Expect it to last at least through the end of the decade. These things happen in twenty year cycles. Plus, given that the 90's are debatably the last decade with a uniqueness to them, (the last 15-17 years seem like they've been one massive blur of the same crap), we may even see it go beyond 2020.

Having been born in 1981, and being a teenager throughout the 90's, they hold a special place, (especially the late 90's), in my memory.

But all the 90s nostalgia is almost entirely kid focused and right now almost entirely focused on the late 90s. That's my point. Kids nostalgia is good but it shouldn't be everything. I miss the 90s and even though I was a kid at the time there was a lot they missed.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/22/17 at 10:37 pm

It doesn't exist.

Written By: preston181 on 04/23/17 at 12:08 am

But all the 90s nostalgia is almost entirely kid focused and right now almost entirely focused on the late 90s. That's my point. Kids nostalgia is good but it shouldn't be everything. I miss the 90s and even though I was a kid at the time there was a lot they missed.

Well, I've been a member here since 2010, and I can tell you that this site wasn't focused on just the late 90's. It was heavily focused on the grunge era, (94-95), for a good period of time. But, like I said, nostalgia tends to be in twenty year cycles. The late 90's in the "in" thing right now. For me, it's always been the period I've missed. The short period from 1997 until about 2001. When I was a teenager and a young adult, before life handed me responsibilities. That's usually, at least in my experience, (and I'm sure the same holds true for many others), how nostalgia works. You yearn for the past, usually because the present either sucks, or it was a simpler time in your life.

You've got the people born in the 90's who are now in their 20's and hitting that period of living on their own, and missing their childhood. Give it another 5-10 years, and they'll begin to miss their teenage years.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/23/17 at 7:45 am

It doesn't exist.

Why is all the nostalgia kid focused only? 90s nostalgia has been like that since the late 2000s with no sign of more adult culture.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/23/17 at 9:12 am

Why is all the nostalgia kid focused only? 90s nostalgia has been like that since the late 2000s with no sign of more adult culture.

Because the generation that were adults or teens in the 90s are fully grown adults now. They don't have time to write posts on a forum site. Let alone make an account.

They talk about the 90s nostalgia your referring to. Just in family gatherings, people they grew up with.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 10:17 am

Well for one thing, most people who do feel nostalgic about the 90s were those born in the mid-late 80s/early 90s, which was when they were kids at the time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/17 at 10:40 am

It's so lame. I'm tired of hearing about all this lame kiddie stuff!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:37 pm

Since nostalgia can also come in 30 year cycles, I say there will be 90s teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia in the next decade especially as there's a prediction that adult contemporary music itself could make a comeback.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/24/17 at 10:33 am

A Sydney rock station that I regularly listen to introduced an hour-long "Generation 90s" program a few months ago. The program plays 90s Grunge/alt-rock and it airs between 12pm-1pm every weekday. Today, the station changed the format of the program and starting from today, "Generation 90s" will now air every Monday from 9am-4pm. The point i'm getting at is that nostalgia for 90s teenage and adult contemporary does indeed exist, however it currently hasn't entered the mass media. As UltraGameDog suggested, it's quite possible that 90s teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia will emerge sometime in the 2020s. Hopefully that will be the case!

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/24/17 at 6:16 pm

On that note, is there any teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia for the 80s? All I hear about now is 80s kids stuff like Stranger Things, or movies starring 80s kids (born in the 70s) like Guardians of the Galaxy and Pixels.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/27/17 at 7:12 am

On that note, is there any teenage and adult contemporary nostalgia for the 80s? All I hear about now is 80s kids stuff like Stranger Things, or movies starring 80s kids (born in the 70s) like Guardians of the Galaxy and Pixels.

The Goldbergs has been running on ABC for four years now, there is the new version of the "oldies circuit", often branded as "replay", "rewind", or "flashback" where several artists popular in the '80s tour together, some '80s influence in fashion (though the '90s are starting to cycle back), and of course, classic hits radio stations are now '80s-centric. The Wedding Singer came out almost 20  years ago, so the nostalgia has well outlasted the actual '80s itself! But Jurassic World is getting its own sequel, '90s songs are starting to re-emerge in commercials, and people don't hate '90s pop like they once did. That said, there was a smaller audience for the teen/AC audience during the '90s due to the smaller Gen X, lots of nostalgia for older decades compared to during the 1980s, and little appreciation of artists like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, and other artists that seem like watered down singers from previous generations.

Check for new replies or respond here...