inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Golden Age of Nickelodeon

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/17 at 11:25 am

How is it possible that there's a Silver Age Nick thread on these boards, but not a Golden Age one? This is a travesty that must be corrected!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c0/cd/23/c0cd23c4e7c10984c20e85437b133c20.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KS38vRtnN88/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.trbimg.com/img-553981f5/turbine/la-hey-sandy-theme-from-the-adventures-of-pete-and-pete-20150423 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl5-riAWEAAQcUa.jpg

My main years of watching Nick were roughly 1991-1998, so basically the entire Golden Age. I'm not a hater of '00s Nick by any means, but you just cant beat the likes of Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa, Pete & Pete, and Rocko.

The thing I really like about Golden Age Nick was the variety. Yes you had Nicktoons, but you also had unique live-action shows, plus a plethora of game shows like Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, G.U.T.S. and What Would You Do?. Nick also showed a bunch of classic '50s and '60s shows back then like Dennis the Menace, Flipper and Lassie, and that's without mentioning Nick at Nite.

I think that the Golden Age peaked around 1994 or 1995, though a case could be made for as late as 1996 with Hey Arnold debuting, Rocko and Pete & Pete still airing episodes, and Rugrats beginning it's "comeback" that year. 1997 was still solid, but things began waning a bit in 1998. My personal definition of the definitive end of the Golden Age was the debut of the "SNICK House" in the fall of 1999. Nick was never quite the same after that. The Angry Beavers is the last true Golden Age Nicktoon in my book, with The Wild Thornberrys and CatDog being on the borderline. By the time Spongebob debuted in late 1999, the Silver Age was fully underway.

Subject: Re: The Golden Age of Nickelodeon

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 12:03 pm

How is it possible that there's a Silver Age Nick thread on these boards, but not a Golden Age one? This is a travesty that must be corrected!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c0/cd/23/c0cd23c4e7c10984c20e85437b133c20.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KS38vRtnN88/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.trbimg.com/img-553981f5/turbine/la-hey-sandy-theme-from-the-adventures-of-pete-and-pete-20150423 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl5-riAWEAAQcUa.jpg

My main years of watching Nick were roughly 1991-1998, so basically the entire Golden Age. I'm not a hater of '00s Nick by any means, but you just cant beat the likes of Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa, Pete & Pete, and Rocko.

The thing I really like about Golden Age Nick was the variety. Yes you had Nicktoons, but you also had unique live-action shows, plus a plethora of game shows like Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, G.U.T.S. and What Would You Do?. Nick also showed a bunch of classic '50s and '60s shows back then like Dennis the Menace, Flipper and Lassie, and that's without mentioning Nick at Nite.

I think that the Golden Age peaked around 1994 or 1995, though a case could be made for as late as 1996 with Hey Arnold debuting, Rocko and Pete & Pete still airing episodes, and Rugrats beginning it's "comeback" that year. 1997 was still solid, but things began waning a bit in 1998. My personal definition of the definitive end of the Golden Age was the debut of the "SNICK House" in the fall of 1999. Nick was never quite the same after that. The Angry Beavers is the last true Golden Age Nicktoon in my book, with The Wild Thornberrys and CatDog being on the borderline. By the time Spongebob debuted in late 1999, the Silver Age was fully underway.

Nickelodeon held a preview for Spongebob in the United States on May 1, 1999, after the 1999 Kids' Choice Awards. However, the series officially premiered on July 17, 1999 (4 days after my birth). So...Spongebob debuted in mid 1999 not late 1999.

Anyways, I didn't get to watch Nickelodeon's Golden Age but they still aired bumpers from then up until 2003. So, I was able to catch a small glimpse of what Golden Age Nick was like. I loved The Rugrats and Rocko's Modern Life. I wasn't a fan of Doug though :-X.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/27/17 at 12:45 pm

I started watching Nick in late 1990, and fondly remember it's early '90s O-Zone block, consisting of a variety of shows in the early evening before Nick at Nite on weekdays, from Super Sloppy Double Dare to Bullwinkle's Moose-O-Rama to Looney Tunes (They even showed Bosko until late 1992) to Wild & Crazy Kids to Get the Picture to Make the Grade. You Can't Do That On Television from the Platinum Age was still shown in reruns until 1993, and many bumpers introduced in the mid-80s from its rebranding, such as the Fireworks and ARF! were still seen. I prefer 1989-1994 the most. The late Golden Age is still fine, but when Hariet the Spy came out, I felt that Nick didn't quite have the same magic as it once did, and I seemed to enjoy the reruns of the early '90s shows in the mid-late 90s than I did with Hey Arnold, Shelby Woo, and You're On. About a decade ago when the Nickelodeon Eras thread was created, the OP had 1989-1994 as "Classic Nick" and 1995-1998 as "Waning Nick", and prefer Hey Dude, Fifteen, Eureka's Castle, and Think Fast far more than Thornberrys, comeback Rugrats, and Kenan and Kel, even if the last one is a good show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/17 at 1:39 pm

Anyways, I didn't get to watch Nickelodeon's Golden Age but they still aired bumpers from then up until 2003. So, I was able to catch a small glimpse of what Golden Age Nick was like. I loved The Rugrats and Rocko's Modern Life. I wasn't a fan of Doug though :-X.

That's cool. I got to experience a bunch of '80s Nick the same way in the '90s through re-runs of shows like You Can't Do That on Television and Finders Keepers. Even if you didn't get to experience something firsthand, it's still cool to get a "feel" for a time period by watching re-runs and stuff like that.

Also, not liking Doug is just blasphemous. >:(

I started watching Nick in late 1990, and fondly remember it's early '90s O-Zone block, consisting of a variety of shows in the early evening before Nick at Nite on weekdays, from Super Sloppy Double Dare to Bullwinkle's Moose-O-Rama to Looney Tunes (They even showed Bosko until late 1992) to Wild & Crazy Kids to Get the Picture to Make the Grade. You Can't Do That On Television from the Platinum Age was still shown in reruns until 1993, and many bumpers introduced in the mid-80s from its rebranding, such as the Fireworks and ARF! were still seen. I prefer 1989-1994 the most. The late Golden Age is still fine, but when Hariet the Spy came out, I felt that Nick didn't quite have the same magic as it once did, and I seemed to enjoy the reruns of the early '90s shows in the mid-late 90s than I did with Hey Arnold, Shelby Woo, and You're On. About a decade ago when the Nickelodeon Eras thread was created, the OP had 1989-1994 as "Classic Nick" and 1995-1998 as "Waning Nick", and prefer Hey Dude, Fifteen, Eureka's Castle, and Think Fast far more than Thornberrys, comeback Rugrats, and Kenan and Kel, even if the last one is a good show.

So basically you think Nick started going downhill in 1995, I think it started going downhill in 1999, and all the posters born in 1995 think it started going downhill in 2006. I'm noticing a pattern here. ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/27/17 at 3:54 pm

So basically you think Nick started going downhill in 1995, I think it started going downhill in 1999, and all the posters born in 1995 think it started going downhill in 2006. I'm noticing a pattern here. ;D

LOL, most 1995 borns I've come across to seem to put the decline at around 2004. I've only met one THE MAN, THE MYTH,
THE LEGEND HIMSELF
that seems persistent with including 2005/6 in the Golden/Silver age of Nick, but I digress. I have to agree that Nickelodeon was at its best during the 90's. 1995 was the best year for the network, with the 1994-1995 & 1995-1996 television seasons being probably the pinnacle of the channel's greatness with new episodes of Rocko, Pete & Pete, All That, and Ren & Stimpy on the network and continuous reruns of 'classic' of Rugrats, Doug, etc. on the network.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 3:56 pm

Is it possible to say that pretty much everything said about golden age Nickelodeon (including the Nicktoons) has been said earlier on Zelek's silver age thread?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/27/17 at 3:56 pm

This guy named Coyote Rants does give insight into some pretty interesting ranting topics. He's around the OP's age and he gave his staunch opinion on how and why 90's Nick was so great!

H9WPOrRv5NI

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 3:58 pm

That's cool. I got to experience a bunch of '80s Nick the same way in the '90s through re-runs of shows like You Can't Do That on Television and Finders Keepers. Even if you didn't get to experience something firsthand, it's still cool to get a "feel" for a time period by watching re-runs and stuff like that.

Also, not liking Doug is just blasphemous. >:(

I don't hate or dislike Doug but it was pretty average.....sorry not sorry :-X.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:01 pm

1995 was just an all around great year (with 2 exceptions.....the death of Selena and the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing :\'(). Nickelodeon was definitely at it's maximum peak of awesomeness in '95.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:10 pm

This guy named Coyote Rants does give insight into some pretty interesting ranting topics. He's around the OP's age and he gave his staunch opinion on how and why 90's Nick was so great!

H9WPOrRv5NI

I honestly thought he was one of those people who hated anything modern and loved the 90s. I'm not sure how much he doesn't like them today, but yet he thinks the 2000s were the decade of the antichrist?

CAN SOMEBODY F*CKING PLEASE REALIZE THAT THE 2000s WEREN'T THE WORST DECADE IN HISTORY?!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:26 pm

I was able to watch the GA of Nick towards the end, and I have to say it was definitely awesome especially that it had variety. I can't even believe I witnessed an era before the most famous nicktoon on that channel would take place, and make it the face of Nickelodeon.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/27/17 at 4:29 pm

I honestly thought he was one of those people who hated anything modern and loved the 90s. I'm not sure how much he doesn't like them today, but yet he thinks the 2000s were the decade of the antichrist?

CAN SOMEBODY F*CKING PLEASE REALIZE THAT THE 2000s WEREN'T THE WORST DECADE IN HISTORY?!

Coyote did apologize in those comments for being self-righteous about nostalgia. He's changed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:29 pm

I was able to watch the GA of Nick towards the end, and I have to say it was definitely awesome especially that it had variety. I can't even believe I witnessed an era before the most famous nicktoon on that channel would take place, and make it the face of Nickelodeon.

I'm the same age as Spongebob :\'(.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:33 pm

Coyote did apologize in those comments for being self-righteous about nostalgia. He's changed.

Oh. So it was just another nostalgia ridden video back in 2009?

Wow. What a relief. *sarcasm*

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:34 pm

I'm the same age as Spongebob :\'(.
I know!

Just look at this commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55udG0zrEr4

I remember like it was yesterday :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:38 pm

I know!

Pretty cool. It premiered 4 days after my birth on July 17th, 1999.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:40 pm

Pretty cool. It premiered 4 days after my birth on July 17th, 1999.
Yeah, and prior to that the show was being seen as the next thing since that promo would come on almost everyday.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 4:42 pm

I often put the start of the Golden Age at August 11, 1991, which on that date the first three Nicktoons (Doug, Rugrats, and Ren and Stimpy) premiered. The end date in my opinion is November 20, 1998, the time when the Rugrats movie came out. When the movie hit the big screen, it was evident that Nick was entering a new era - The Silver Age, or what I would call, the Klasky Csupo Age.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:43 pm

Yeah, and prior to that the show was being seen as the next thing since that promo would come on almost everyday.

That would get annoying. Anyways, let's get back to the thread topic of Golden Age Nickeoldeon (aka BEFORE Spongebob) ;D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:44 pm

I often put the start of the Golden Age at August 11, 1991, which on that date the first three Nicktoons (Doug, Rugrats, and Ren and Stimpy) premiered. The end date in my opinion is November 20, 1998, the time when the Rugrats movie came out. When the movie hit the big screen, it was evident that Nick was entering a new era - The Silver Age, or what I would call, the Klasky Csupo Age.

I agree 100% with that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:52 pm

That would get annoying. Anyways, let's get back to the thread topic of Golden Age Nickeoldeon (aka BEFORE Spongebob) ;D.
Here's a few commercials from pre-Spongebob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT_2ojJNF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLzUGRCR7IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUHldZKpIs

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 4:55 pm

Some would argue the Silver age began in February 1996 because Herb Scannell took over from previous president Gerry Laybourne at that time. Herb was a nice guy, but under him, Nick grew less "undeground" and more and more corporate each day, according to the people who had worked at the network from the beginning. Arguably, it was perhaps inevitable. Less grungy, quirky, Liquid Television-type shows and more clean-cut assembly-line shows.

When Gerry was at Nick, they wanted to do Yellow Submarine-type arthouse movies. But when Herb took over, they ceased those plans and instead focused mostly on doing movies of their hit shows(Rugrats, Wild Thornberrys, Spongebob). A shift from uniqueness into corporatism.

For information on this, there's the book Slimed: An oral history nick's golden age.

Do you think that the Bronze Age began in 2006 due to Scannell's resignation (he was replaced by Cyma Zarghami) and the fact that it was the first year completely without Nickelodeon Studios?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:58 pm

Some would argue the Silver age began in February 1996 because Herb Scannell took over from previous president Gerry Laybourne at that time. Herb was a nice guy, but under him, Nick grew less "undeground" and more and more corporate each day, according to the people who had worked at the network from the beginning. Arguably, it was perhaps inevitable. Less grungy, quirky, Liquid Television-type shows and more clean-cut assembly-line shows.

When Gerry was at Nick, they wanted to do Yellow Submarine-type arthouse movies. But when Herb took over, they ceased those plans and instead focused mostly on doing movies of their hit shows(Rugrats, Wild Thornberrys, Spongebob). A shift from uniqueness into corporatism.

For information on this, there's the book Slimed: An oral history nick's golden age.

Do you think that the Bronze Age began in 2006 due to Scannell's resignation (he was replaced by Cyma Zarghami) and the fact that it was the first year completely without Nickelodeon Studios?

You're on the money.

How do y'all know so much about Nickelodeon's history? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:59 pm

Here's a few commercials from pre-Spongebob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT_2ojJNF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLzUGRCR7IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUHldZKpIs

Those are some wacky but cool commercials 8).

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/27/17 at 4:59 pm

How do y'all know so much about Nickelodeon's history? ???

Wikipedia

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 5:01 pm

Those are some wacky but cool commercials 8).
I know! 8) 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:02 pm

Wikipedia

LOL, really? Well, we all have our areas of expert knowledge.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/27/17 at 5:03 pm

I know!

It does annoy me how some(not all, though) 90s Nick fans like the divide up Nick as pre-Spongebob and post-Spongebob, or say that Spongebob "ruined Nick".

No, Spongebob didn't ruin Nick. Pre-movie Spongebob is brilliant and genius and if you can't agree with that, well then you're just an insecure nostalgic PLEB. :)

Nick ruined Nick by overexposing Spongebob starting around 2005/2006, when the endless reruns of it began to take over the channel, at the expense of everything else.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 5:03 pm

You're on the money.

December 1, 1977 - April 1, 1979: Formation stage (like a baby in the womb)
April 1, 1979 - August 11, 1991: Platinum Age (Nick before Nicktoons)
August 11, 1991 - November 20, 1998: Golden Age (from the debut of the first three Nicktoons until the release of The Rugrats Movie and Dil being added on Rugrats)
November 20, 1998 - January 5, 2006: Silver Age (from the release of the Rugrats Movie to Zarghami becoming Nickelodeon's president)
January 5, 2006 - September 28, 2009: Bronze Age (from Zarghami becoming president to the change of the Nickelodeon logo)
September 28, 2009 - present: Current Nick

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:04 pm

I know! 8) 8)

Fist bump! 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:05 pm

December 1, 1977 - April 1, 1979: Pinwheel Network era (before the channel rebranded and changed it's name to Nickelodeon)
April 1, 1979 - August 11, 1991: Platinum Age (Nick before Nicktoons)
August 11, 1991 - November 20, 1998: Golden Age (from the debut of the first three Nicktoons until the release of The Rugrats Movie and Dil being added on Rugrats)
November 20, 1998 - January 5, 2006: Silver Age (from the release of the Rugrats Movie to Zarghami becoming Nickelodeon's president)
January 5, 2006 - September 28, 2009: Bronze Age (from Zarghami becoming president to the change of the Nickelodeon logo)
September 28, 2009 - present: Current Nick

Fixed it for you ;).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 5:07 pm

It does annoy me how some(not all, though) 90s Nick fans like the divide up Nick as pre-Spongebob and post-Spongebob, or say that Spongebob "ruined Nick".

No, Spongebob didn't ruin Nick. Pre-movie Spongebob is brilliant and genius and if you can't agree with that, well then you're just an insecure nostalgic PLEB. :)

Nick ruined Nick by overexposing Spongebob starting around 2005/2006, when the endless reruns of it began to take over the channel, at the expense of everything else.

Spongebob went downhill in 2005 without doubt - it started with the episode "Good Neighbors", which was the first "Squidward torture" episode. Squidward was just trying to have a relaxing Sunday and Spongebob and Patrick ruin it all for him even to the point where he punished for a lifetime for something that he didn't even do (Spongebob and Patrick were the ones at fault there when they were messing around with the security system. This led to Squidward's house "coming alive" and destroying Bikini Bottom).

Squidward did nothing.

HOWEVER, here is what Spongebob and Patrick did to Squidward:
- Distracted him during his relaxation
- Got paint all over Squidward's face
- Got Squidward run over and taken to a hospital
- Stole his pedicure time
- Kicked Squidward out of his house
- Used Squidward's house to destroy Bikini Bottom
- Made Squidward receive a punishment (community service every Sunday for the rest of his life) that was for something he didn't do.

Spongebob and Patrick were lucky that Squidward didn't call the police about them. If I were Squidward, I would without a doubt - and they may also be arrested and charged for the things they did in "Good Neighbors".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 5:11 pm

I consider it to be 2007, since that was when Avatar: TLA, Catscratch, All Grown Up, Ned's Declassified, Drake & Josh, pre-S6 Fairy Oddparents and Zoey 101 aired altogether before they ended.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 5:14 pm

Fist bump! 8)
Now here's some from 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68toI4ZL1As

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4MsgLZO8Uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJ9f77_zdQ

Agreed! pre-movie Spongebob was excellent :). Too bad, those episodes are not played much anymore. :\'( 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:19 pm

The world hasn't changed that much since 1998 ;D.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/17 at 5:25 pm

Is it possible to say that pretty much everything said about golden age Nickelodeon (including the Nicktoons) has been said earlier on Zelek's silver age thread?

No way! His thread was great, but mine will be ten times better. This will be a big, beautiful thread. Believe me! 8)

1995 was just an all around great year (with 2 exceptions.....the death of Selena and the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing :\'(). Nickelodeon was definitely at it's maximum peak of awesomeness in '95.

I agree with you 100% on that. 1995 was an amazing year for Nick. Like I said, the peak could anywhere from 1994-1996, but it's hard to argue with '95. Just look at this awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-pJSE7mfkg

I miss being a kid. :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:37 pm

I agree with you 100% on that. 1995 was an amazing year for Nick. Like I said, the peak could anywhere from 1994-1996, but it's hard to argue with '95. Just look at this awesome video.

Don't we all? :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 8:44 pm

Agreed! pre-movie Spongebob was excellent :). Too bad, those episodes are not played much anymore. :\'(

It's a good thing I have some of the pre-movie episodes recorded on multiple DVDs. That way it gives me that spirit in which I had back when I was little.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 9:04 pm

I despise seeing toenails ripped off.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/28/17 at 1:25 am

What were some of your favorite Nicktoons & Nickcoms in the 90's Machine Head?

Written By: Howard on 04/28/17 at 5:04 am

The only shows I remember watching is You Can't Do That On Television and Double Dare with Mark Summers.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/28/17 at 10:25 am

What were some of your favorite Nicktoons & Nickcoms in the 90's Machine Head?

I liked pretty much all of them, but I would say that my top 5's when I was a kid were:

Top 5 Nicktoons

1. Rugrats
2. Rocko
3. Hey Arnold
4. Doug
5. Angry Beavers

Top 5 Nickcoms

1. Adventures of Pete & Pete
2. Clarissa Explains It All
3. Hey Dude
4. Salute Your Shorts
5. Kenan & Kel

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/28/17 at 11:38 am

I liked pretty much all of them, but I would say that my top 5's when I was a kid were:

Top 5 Nicktoons

1. Rugrats
2. Rocko
3. Hey Arnold
4. Doug
5. Angry Beavers

Top 5 Nickcoms

3. Hey Dude
4. Salute Your Shorts
5. Kenan & Kel

Thats awesome! Some of my favorite Nicktoons of all time are also Rugrats, Hey Arnold, & Rocko. When it comes to Nickcoms it looks like your favorite was Pete & Pete. That's pretty cool! I've seen a few reruns of Pete & Pete on The N back when I was a kid. I guess if I had to make a comparison, it was the Drake & Josh of the mid 90's, right?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:19 pm

The world hasn't changed that much since 1998 ;D.
Naw, it has. 1998 Nick is old school. ;)

It's a good thing I have some of the pre-movie episodes recorded on multiple DVDs. That way it gives me that spirit in which I had back when I was little.
Oh. that's good. Yeah, the only times I've seen the pre-movie episodes in the last few years is on Nicktoons.

I despise seeing toenails ripped off.
Huh? ???

Where did you see that?

Top 5 Nicktoons

1. Rugrats
2. Rocko
3. Hey Arnold
4. Doug
5. Angry Beavers

Top 5 Nickcoms

3. Hey Dude
4. Salute Your Shorts
5. Kenan & Kel
I agree on the Nicktoons. They were well done especially Hey Arnold. I honestly think that Angry Beavers is a little underrated. I don't see that cartoon being mentioned much. As for the Nickcoms, K&K was my jam and the others I recall watching them until they were deleted from the channel forever.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 10:59 pm

Naw, it has. 1998 Nick is old school. ;)

OK, I'll give you that and Rush Hour but nothing else ;D.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:39 am

No way! His thread was great, but mine will be ten times better. This will be a big, beautiful thread. Believe me! 8)

I too, miss my childhood. :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/17 at 11:02 am

Thats awesome! Some of my favorite Nicktoons of all time are also Rugrats, Hey Arnold, & Rocko. When it comes to Nickcoms it looks like your favorite was Pete & Pete. That's pretty cool! I've seen a few reruns of Pete & Pete on The N back when I was a kid. I guess if I had to make a comparison, it was the Drake & Josh of the mid 90's, right?

In terms of popularity, yes I would say Pete & Pete in the mid '90s was similar to Drake & Josh in the mid '00s. They were both sort of the "flagship" Nickcoms of their respective eras.

Also, it's cool that you got to see Pete & Pete when it came on The N. I actually remember that, too! Back in 2002 that channel was still called Noggin and I remember when they used to show Pete & Pete reruns on there. That was actually when I started to feel some of my earliest childhood nostalgia. 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 11:03 am

In terms of popularity, yes I would say Pete & Pete in the mid '90s was similar to Drake & Josh in the mid '00s. They were both sort of the "flagship" Nickcoms of their respective eras.

Also, it's cool that you got to see Pete & Pete when it came on The N. I actually remember that, too! Back in 2002 that channel was still called Noggin and I remember when they used to show Pete & Pete reruns on there. That was actually when I started to feel some of my earliest childhood nostalgia. 8)

I loved Drake & Josh growing up 8). That is all :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:14 pm

Would it be weird that I saw both of them? I remember seeing Pete & Pete reruns on Nick before they were gone, and although I watched D&J, I didn't grow up with it since it was after my childhood.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:18 pm

More GA Nick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCovv7gEMSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClAETgPY31g

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/30/17 at 9:22 am

Yeah thats awesome! If push comes to shove would more 90's kids prefer Pete & Pete or Kenan & Kel? I'm guessing early-mid 90's kids would probably be leaning more towards Pete & Pete and Later 90's kids would probably prefer Kenan & Kel.

Also yeah it was Noggin/The N that introduced me to a lot of the Nickom classics from the 90's/early 00's like Pete & Pete, Clarissa Explains It All, and Caitlin's Way to name a few. I also started to watch Degrassi: The Next Generation around that time too on The N!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/30/17 at 10:40 am

Would it be weird that I saw both of them? I remember seeing Pete & Pete reruns on Nick before they were gone, and although I watched D&J, I didn't grow up with it since it was after my childhood.

That makes sense. Pete & Pete went off the air in 1996, but reruns were shown up through the early '00s, so it's not surprising that you would've gotten to see them. Meanwhile, Drake & Josh started around the time that you probably had stopped watching Nickelodeon as much, so I can see why you wouldn't think you "grew up" with it.

1993 borns are certainly in an odd position. You guys were 6 at the end of '90s, and 12 by 2005, so you're neither full '90s kids or full '00s kids. You're sort of stuck somewhere in between.

Yeah thats awesome! If push comes to shove would more 90's kids prefer Pete & Pete or Kenan & Kel? I'm guessing early-mid 90's kids would probably be leaning more towards Pete & Pete and Later 90's kids would probably prefer Kenan & Kel.

Also yeah it was Noggin/The N that introduced me to a lot of the Nickom classics from the 90's/early 00's like Pete & Pete, Clarissa Explains It All, and Caitlin's Way to name a few. I also started to watch Degrassi: The Next Generation around that time too on The N!

Yeah, I'd say so. People who were kids earlier in the '90s tend to prefer Pete & Pete, while those that were kids later in the '90s like Kenan & Kel better. I feel like I got the best of both worlds, really. My peak childhood years were roughly 1993-1998, so I was a big fan of both Pete & Pete and Kenan & Kel growing up.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/30/17 at 11:52 am

Yeah, I'd say so. People who were kids earlier in the '90s tend to prefer Pete & Pete, while those that were kids later in the '90s like Kenan & Kel better. I feel like I got the best of both worlds, really. My peak childhood years were roughly 1993-1998, so I was a big fan of both Pete & Pete and Kenan & Kel growing up.

Yeah both shows were pretty cool, Thats awesome that you were able to watch both growing up! I was able to watch reruns of Pete & Pete and Kenan & Kel on The N/Nick respectively, while also watching new episodes of Drake & Josh on Nick in the mid 00's.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/30/17 at 4:21 pm

That makes sense. Pete & Pete went off the air in 1996, but reruns were shown up through the early '00s, so it's not surprising that you would've gotten to see them. Meanwhile, Drake & Josh started around the time that you probably had stopped watching Nickelodeon as much, so I can see why you wouldn't think you "grew up" with it.

1993 borns are certainly in an odd position. You guys were 6 at the end of '90s, and 12 by 2005, so you're neither full '90s kids or full '00s kids. You're sort of stuck somewhere in between.

Weird thing is, I could recall seeing many articles that address that Pete and Pete ran reruns until around 1998 or 1999 (basically like other shows that started before 1996 on the network). Do you think that the article is "accurate"?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/30/17 at 4:43 pm

Yeah, that's true in some way. I began watching Nickelodeon around the late 90s, and stopped around 2011; however, the last time I was really tuned in was around 2006. In addition, that show took place when I was an adolescent, so it definitely would make sense that I didn't "grow up" with it. Other Than That, P&P, K&K, and D&J were all great shows.

Yee, we sure are. I'll even go ahead and say that the 1991-95 group is in a odd position because we began watching Nick during the GA, and mainly stopped during the SA. We're all in a mix ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/01/17 at 4:00 am

Whilst I didn't experience the Golden Age era of Nickelodeon at first hand, I did like some of the cartoons which were produced/aired during the era, such as Rugrats, Angry Beavers and The Wild Thornberries. Nickelodeon Australia aired re-runs of these cartoons during the Early/Mid 2000s, so that's how I was able to experience them. Doug, Rocko and Hey Arnold! were re-aired as well, but I could never get into those cartoons. I liked Ren & Stimpy as well, however I didn't start liking it until I was 11. I had stopped watching cartoons by that point, but I liked Ren & Stimpy (because let's be honest, it's not a "kiddie" show). To be honest, before I was 11, I used to think that the beavers in The Angry Beavers were called Ren & Stimpy. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/17 at 6:41 am

Whilst I didn't experience the Golden Age era of Nickelodeon at first hand, I did like some of the cartoons which were produced/aired during the era, such as Rugrats, Angry Beavers and The Wild Thornberries. Nickelodeon Australia aired re-runs of these cartoons during the Early/Mid 2000s, so that's how I was able to experience them. Doug, Rocko and Hey Arnold! were re-aired as well, but I could never get into those cartoons. I liked Ren & Stimpy as well, however I didn't start liking it until I was 11. I had stopped watching cartoons by that point, but I liked Ren & Stimpy (because let's be honest, it's not a "kiddie" show). To be honest, before I was 11, I used to think that the beavers in The Angry Beavers were called Ren & Stimpy. :P

The Wild Tornberrys weren't a Golden Age Nickelodeon show. It was mostly a Silver Age Nickelodeon show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 11:59 am

Weird thing is, I could recall seeing many articles that address that Pete and Pete ran reruns until around 1998 or 1999 (basically like other shows that started before 1996 on the network). Do you think that the article is "accurate"?

Actually, I think that is accurate. If I remember correctly, Nick did stop airing Pete & Pete reruns on the main channel mostly in 1999. As ZeldaFan20 said, Pete & Pete reruns in the early '00s were mostly seen on Noggin (now the Nick Jr. channel).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 2:27 pm

By the way, I think all of us could agree that Hey Dude had the cheesiest theme song out of all the '90s Nick shows, can we not? ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AaiQVAG0gQ

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/17 at 2:36 pm

Woah man Hey Dude is an 80s Nick show, not a 90s show, Jordan told me so. He says it embodies the last of the 80s' mightiness, before we gave way to the 90s style somewhere around summer 1993.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 2:42 pm

Woah man Hey Dude is an 80s Nick show, not a 90s show, Jordan told me so. He says it embodies the last of the 80s' mightiness, before we gave way to the 90s style somewhere around summer 1993.

Well, it did start in 1989, but so did The Simpsons and Seinfeld, and I don't think anybody would consider them '80s shows. ;D

Besides, if he wants Hey Dude that bad as part of his childhood, then he can have it. It's the worst live action show Nick ever made. 8-P ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/17 at 3:37 pm

Well, it did start in 1989, but so did The Simpsons and Seinfeld, and I don't think anybody would consider them '80s shows. ;D

Besides, if he wants Hey Dude that bad as part of his childhood, then he can have it. It's the worst live action show Nick ever made. 8-P ;D

True, but Hey Dude ended in 1991, so it never had time to shed its "80s vibes" like Seinfeld and the Simpsons did.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/17 at 3:51 pm

By the way, I think all of us could agree that Hey Dude had the cheesiest theme song out of all the '90s Nick shows, can we not? ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AaiQVAG0gQ

I've never watched Hey Dude.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 4:23 pm

I've never watched Hey Dude.

Well, that's not surprising. It aired it's last episode 8 years before you were born.

Written By: annimal on 05/01/17 at 4:39 pm

It's a little wild and a little strange

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/17 at 4:45 pm

So, is 1980s Nickelodeon, the one I grew up with, that had You Can't Do That On Television and Livewire and Turkey Television among others, considered the Stone Age?  ;D

Written By: annimal on 05/01/17 at 4:47 pm

Just don't ask me because I don't know

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/17 at 4:57 pm

Well, that's not surprising. It aired it's last episode 8 years before you were born.

I'm being technical here but ...almost 8 years (Hey Dude ended August 30, 1991 :P).

However, I don't think that it's age mattered because I watched shows like The Andy Griffith Show, The Golden Girls, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Matlock, Three's Company, The Jeffersons, The Cosby Show, etc growing up and most of those shows ended years before I was born.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 8:07 pm

I'm being technical here but ...almost 8 years (Hey Dude ended August 30, 1991 :P).

However, I don't think that it's age mattered because I watched shows like The Andy Griffith Show, The Golden Girls, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Matlock, Three's Company, The Jeffersons, The Cosby Show, etc growing up and most of those shows ended years before I was born.

True. The reason you've never seen Hey Dude is because that show started getting shown less and less in reruns during the late '90s. Unless you watched Nickelodeon before 1997 or so, there's a good chance you've never seen it.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/17 at 8:08 pm

According to Wikipedia, Hey Dude ceased reruns in 2000. So of course ReignMan, born 1999, never would have seen it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/17 at 8:44 pm

True. The reason you've never seen Hey Dude is because that show started getting shown less and less in reruns during the late '90s. Unless you watched Nickelodeon before 1997 or so, there's a good chance you've never seen it.

OK, gotcha.

According to Wikipedia, Hey Dude ceased reruns in 2000. So of course ReignMan, born 1999, never would have seen it.

Did you Max/Zelek3, born 1995, watch Hey Dude? :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 8:57 am

So, is 1980s Nickelodeon, the one I grew up with, that had You Can't Do That On Television and Livewire and Turkey Television among others, considered the Stone Age?  ;D

Well, actually yes. ;D

And just to be clear, Golden Age/Silver Age/Stone Age/etc. is not really a statement on quality. I'm not saying that '90s Nick is objectively better than '80s Nick. Everybody prefers what they grew up with. To me, "Golden Age" refers to the period of time when Nick was at the peak of it's ratings popularity and cultural relevance, which was roughly between 1991 and 1998. Nick had plenty of fans in the '80s, of course, but cable was still a new enterprise back then, with less than 50% of households having it up until around 1990, so there just weren't nearly as many kids that had access to the channel as did in the '90s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/02/17 at 10:45 am

have to agree that Nickelodeon was at its best during the 90's. 1995 was the best year for the network, with the 1994-1995 & 1995-1996 television seasons being probably the pinnacle of the channel's greatness with new episodes of Rocko, Pete & Pete, All That, and Ren & Stimpy on the network and continuous reruns of 'classic' of Rugrats, Doug, etc. on the network.

1995 was just an all around great year (with 2 exceptions.....the death of Selena and the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing :\'( ). Nickelodeon was definitely at it's maximum peak of awesomeness in '95.

1996 was the best year of the network imo. It's like everything was on the newtwork that year. :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/02/17 at 10:46 am

Did you Max/Zelek3, born 1995, watch Hey Dude? :P

Well... I don't think I saw reruns of Hey Dude. But I watched reruns of NEARLY everything! :D :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/02/17 at 12:47 pm

I honestly do not remember much of Hey Dude tbh. The 90's era Nickcoms I remember the most are Pete & Pete, Clarissa, Kenan & Kel, and All That

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/02/17 at 12:54 pm

Speaking about Golden Age Nickelodeon do any of you guys remember these Nickelodeon Studios ending credits for shows taped their!?

KCezdA_SGZM

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 1:06 pm

1996 was the best year of the network imo. It's like everything was on the newtwork that year. :o

Nah fam.

Well... I don't think I saw reruns of Hey Dude. But I watched reruns of NEARLY everything! :D :o

Cool.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 3:05 pm

Speaking about Golden Age Nickelodeon do any of you guys remember these Nickelodeon Studios ending credits for shows taped their!?

KCezdA_SGZM

Yep, sure do. Those credits are the reason that I was so excited when we went to Universal Studios in 1996. I didn't really care about seeing anything else other than Nickelodeon Studios, honestly. It seemed like every Nick live-action show was taped there.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 4:41 pm

Yes, I would think so.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/02/17 at 5:07 pm

Yep, sure do. Those credits are the reason that I was so excited when we went to Universal Studios in 1996. I didn't really care about seeing anything else other than Nickelodeon Studios, honestly. It seemed like every Nick live-action show was taped there.

Thats awesome! Yeah I went to Universal Studios twice, back in 2001 & 2004. By this point though the popularity of the studios was starting to wane. You're right that most 90's Live Action shows were taped at Nick Studios, most notably All That. I remember as a kid in the early 00's I'd watch SlimeTime Live and DoubleDare 2000 which were both taped there!

Yes, I would think so.

Btw Howard (and other 80's kids if you wannna answer) how was Nick in the 80's?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 5:32 pm

Thats awesome! Yeah I went to Universal Studios twice, back in 2001 & 2004. By this point though the popularity of the studios was starting to wane. You're right that most 90's Live Action shows were taped at Nick Studios, most notably All That. I remember as a kid in the early 00's I'd watch SlimeTime Live and DoubleDare 2000 which were both taped there!

Yeah, even though Nickelodeon Studios had started waning a bit by the early '00s, I'm glad that it did stay open until 2005 so that you guys born in the mid-to-late '90s got a chance to see it before it shut down. That place was AWESOME! 8)

I'm obviously not an '80s kid, but Nick shows from the '80s did get shown in reruns on Nick throughout the early-to-mid '90s, so I can answer this question a little bit.

Nick in the '80s was actually quite a bit different than it was in the '90s. Nicktoons didn't exist in the '80s, so pretty much all of the cartoons shown on Nick back then (like Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Danger Mouse, David the Gnome, etc.) were actually syndicated. Even most of it's live-action shows back then (including the flagship You Can't Do That on Television) were imported from Canada or otherwise syndicated. They did have a few exclusive programs at the time like The Third Eye and Double Dare.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 5:45 pm

I do remember You Can't Do That On Television back in the late 80's.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/02/17 at 8:30 pm

I've been on a plane only two times in my life - one back in 2003 to visit some of my relatives in LA, and the other back in 2006 to go to Indonesia.

I can't really afford going on big trips, and I also have aerophobia nowadays. :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 8:37 pm

I've been on a plane only two times in my life - one back in 2003 to visit some of my relatives in LA, and the other back in 2006 to go to Indonesia.

I can't really afford going on big trips, and I also have aerophobia nowadays. :(

Wow, you haven't been on a plane in about 11 years :o.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/03/17 at 12:31 am

Yeah, even though Nickelodeon Studios had started waning a bit by the early '00s, I'm glad that it did stay open until 2005 so that you guys born in the mid-to-late '90s got a chance to see it before it shut down. That place was AWESOME! 8)

Yeah It's crazy how the last time I went there in 2004, was the last FULL year that place was opened :o

Its a piece of history that many people born in the 80's & 90's have special memories from, and it's definitely something that should be preserved for future generations (ya know, the legacy). Speaking about the legacy of Nickelodeon Studios do you by any chance remember the Nickelodeon Time Capsule that was buried in 1992?

zbmfQ8pB0Bs

I'm obviously not an '80s kid, but Nick shows from the '80s did get shown in reruns on Nick throughout the early-to-mid '90s, so I can answer this question a little bit.

Nick in the '80s was actually quite a bit different than it was in the '90s. Nicktoons didn't exist in the '80s, so pretty much all of the cartoons shown on Nick back then (like Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Danger Mouse, David the Gnome, etc.) were actually syndicated. Even most of it's live-action shows back then (including the flagship You Can't Do That on Television) were imported from Canada or otherwise syndicated. They did have a few exclusive programs at the time like The Third Eye and Double Dare.

That sounds interesting! Yeah so it seems like Nick was mainly a channel that ran syndicated cartoons back then, along with their own original live action shows like You Can't Do That on Television and Double Dare. Not gonna lie I actually wouldn't mind growing up with Nick in the 80's. I mean sure you didn't have Nicktoons which would be a major bummer, but they still had all of the quintessential golden age Nickelodeon things such as the Nick's Kids Choice Awards, Nick@Nite (with probably it's best lineup, being primarily shows from the 50's), Nickcoms like Double Dare and YCDTOT, and reruns of popular 80's cartoons. That definitely isn't bad at all! Its a shame it doesn't get as much praise as 90's Nick....

I do remember You Can't Do That On Television back in the late 80's.

Thats awesome ;). So was the late 80's Nick your favorite era for the channel?

Yeah I get where your coming from. I think the first plane trip I took was a trip to relatives in the South in 1999. Barely remember it though...

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/17 at 1:50 am

Well, actually yes. ;D

And just to be clear, Golden Age/Silver Age/Stone Age/etc. is not really a statement on quality. I'm not saying that '90s Nick is objectively better than '80s Nick. Everybody prefers what they grew up with. To me, "Golden Age" refers to the period of time when Nick was at the peak of it's ratings popularity and cultural relevance, which was roughly between 1991 and 1998. Nick had plenty of fans in the '80s, of course, but cable was still a new enterprise back then, with less than 50% of households having it up until around 1990, so there just weren't nearly as many kids that had access to the channel as did in the '90s.

The number reached 50% way before '90.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/17 at 6:36 am

Thats awesome ;). So was the late 80's Nick your favorite era for the channel?
Not really, I just browsed the channels occasionally.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/03/17 at 8:56 am

Yeah It's crazy how the last time I went there in 2004, was the last FULL year that place was opened :o

Its a piece of history that many people born in the 80's & 90's have special memories from, and it's definitely something that should be preserved for future generations (ya know, the legacy). Speaking about the legacy of Nickelodeon Studios do you by any chance remember the Nickelodeon Time Capsule that was buried in 1992?

zbmfQ8pB0Bs

I don't remember watching it when it happened in 1992, but I do remember hearing it mentioned on Nickelodeon at the time and thinking about how far away 2042 seemed back then. Now we're already halfway to that year! :o

That sounds interesting! Yeah so it seems like Nick was mainly a channel that ran syndicated cartoons back then, along with their own original live action shows like You Can't Do That on Television and Double Dare. Not gonna lie I actually wouldn't mind growing up with Nick in the 80's. I mean sure you didn't have Nicktoons which would be a major bummer, but they still had all of the quintessential golden age Nickelodeon things such as the Nick's Kids Choice Awards, Nick@Nite (with probably it's best lineup, being primarily shows from the 50's), Nickcoms like Double Dare and YCDTOT, and reruns of popular 80's cartoons. That definitely isn't bad at all! Its a shame it doesn't get as much praise as 90's Nick....

Yeah, it is too bad that '80s Nick gets totally overshadowed by '90s Nick, and even '00s Nick for that matter. I've said before that the reason I think this is the case is that many families still did not have cable by the end of the '80s, and thus many kids that grew up back then didn't have the ability to watch the channel. That's the reason I think that, even among '80s kids, nostalgia for Nickelodeon isn't nearly as prevalent as it is for '90s kids.

The number reached 50% way before '90.

It's hard to find exact numbers on the percentage of households with cable over the years, but the site I was looking at had 43% of households with cable in 1985 and 56% at the end of 1990, so I deduced that the number crossed 50% sometime between 1988 and 1990. Perhaps I was close enough. ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/17 at 6:07 pm

It's hard to find exact numbers on the percentage of households with cable over the years, but the site I was looking at had 43% of households with cable in 1985 and 56% at the end of 1990, so I deduced that the number crossed 50% sometime between 1988 and 1990. Perhaps I was close enough. ;)

It is but this site says it hit over 50% in 1985. :P 8)

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id13.htm

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 1:26 pm

I know!

Me too! Hard to believe it was so long ago...

I was a huge Rocko fan and I remember owning a Rocko stuffed doll. I could impersonate him and Ren from Ren and Stimpy real well. For some reason I imagined him with Sonic. Both were anthropomorphic animals, right? Actually, echidnas are Australian animals just like wallabies. Rocko should've been part of the Chaotix ;)

My favorite AYAotD episode was The Tale of the Renegade Virus. The purple midget guy who kept laughing! It was hysterical!
I remember that Rugrats episode where Chuckie dreamed Tommy had a long nose and tongue and said "I'm not Tommy!" in Tress MacNeille's voice and giggled - I loved that episode! It cracked me up every time!

Another good Nick memory of mine was when SpongeBob was new and they premiered the episode where those worms drank his pineapple house, so he moved into Patrick's rock house. They're sleeping when Patrick suddenly screams "SPIDERS!" and crushes SpongeBob with his own house! I was dying! And was I the only one who recognized SpongeBob's voice as the same voice used by some bird in a CatDog episode who falsely claimed he wasn't a kleptomaniac? Even when it first aired, I knew.

Check for new replies or respond here...