inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could go back to the 90's, what would you give up/not want to give up?

Written By: preston181 on 05/02/17 at 11:53 pm

Okay, so fun new scenario, in a two-part question:

Suppose one day, you stumble upon a way to travel back to the 90's, but you can't take anything other than yourself back...

First, what would you hate to give up? Could be something Technology-wise, a new development or discovery, some social change, a favorite song/show/movie; or whatever. No limit here.

Next, what would you have no problem giving up? Same as the first question for what it can be.

For me; I would hate giving up high-speed internet, my far-better car in terms of looks and safety, and the covienience of an iPhone.

But, on the flip-side; I would have no problem giving up Trump and our do-nothing Congress, social disconnectedness caused by social media and smartphone obsession, and being tethered to an unrewarding job, (I'd likely take my knowledge and get into the Information technology field a lot sooner in the 90's, and learn more about parts of the field I'm lacking in, knowing what is coming later on).

Subject: Re: If you could go back to the 90's, what would you give up/not want to give up?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/03/17 at 12:42 am

What I wouldn't enjoy giving up: The level of LGBT acceptance we have now. A solid majority of people still opposed gay marriage in the 90s, and many were outwardly uncomfortable with queer individuals. It would've still at least been a livable time for me to be a lesbian, and the LGBT community at least had much more visibility and media portrayal than in the previous decade, but the nonetheless, the backwardness of LGBT rights is by far the worst thing about the 20th Century in general.

What I wouldn't mind giving up: I would not mind forgoing iPhones and social media, plus the vast majority of music released since the new millennium. I see both smartphones and social media as more distracting and misery-inducing than enriching, and I totally don't mind visiting different stores to purchase electronic goods, nor do I have a problem with listening to music on a CD or cassette. The fashion of the 2010s isn't anything to shout about, either.

Subject: Re: If you could go back to the 90's, what would you give up/not want to give up?

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/05/17 at 6:09 am

I wouldn't mind giving up the over saturation of social media we have today in the mid 2010's but I would mind not being able to listen to the music I grew up with as a teen in the late 2000's and 2010's

Written By: 80sfan on 05/05/17 at 6:41 am

I wouldn't mind leaving all this online bullying that can happen online, sometimes. It happened to me once, roughly three years ago. Not on this website, but on another forum. You don't agree with the most popular 15 people on the website and then they ignore you, or they all gain up against you.

I would not want to give up the technology we have now. Life is just so easy with it rather than without it. And it's nice to chat up with people who have things in common with you.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/17 at 5:56 pm

I'd probably give up online radio cause sometimes I still enjoy listening to music on my old clock radio.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/17 at 9:10 pm

What I wouldn't enjoy giving up: The level of LGBT acceptance we have now. A solid majority of people still opposed gay marriage in the 90s, and many were outwardly uncomfortable with queer individuals. It would've still at least been a livable time for me to be a lesbian, and the LGBT community at least had much more visibility and media portrayal than in the previous decade, but the nonetheless, the backwardness of LGBT rights is by far the worst thing about the 20th Century in general.

What I wouldn't mind giving up: I would not mind forgoing iPhones and social media, plus the vast majority of music released since the new millennium. I see both smartphones and social media as more distracting and misery-inducing than enriching, and I totally don't mind visiting different stores to purchase electronic goods, nor do I have a problem with listening to music on a CD or cassette. The fashion of the 2010s isn't anything to shout about, either.

The '90s were significantly better than the '80s in terms of gay rights but you are right, it wasn't as accepted as it is now.  However, I think in a place like San Diego or Los Angeles it wouldn't have been a problem.  In Middle America it would have been moreso.  Major cities, even in the Bible Belt (places like Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin etc), are fairly accepting today and they really weren't back then.  You had to be in certain cities that were known for being gay friendly.

Written By: preston181 on 05/06/17 at 10:52 pm

The '90s were significantly better than the '80s in terms of gay rights but you are right, it wasn't as accepted as it is now.  However, I think in a place like San Diego or Los Angeles it wouldn't have been a problem.  In Middle America it would have been moreso.  Major cities, even in the Bible Belt (places like Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin etc), are fairly accepting today and they really weren't back then.  You had to be in certain cities that were known for being gay friendly.

I grew up in Michigan, and have family that are gay, (my mother and my cousin). I remember my cousin and her girlfriend being kicked out of a diner/coffee shop, because their public displays of affection made other people there "uncomfortable". This was back in 1997.

I'm attending my mother's wedding to her girlfriend in less than two weeks.

So, yeah, a lot has changed in the past 20 years.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/12/17 at 8:56 pm

Give up: MY IMPRUDENCE

Not want to give up: EVERYTHING ELSE. I miss the 90s sometimes :\'(

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 10:41 pm

Not give up: my love of video games, especially Sonic.
Give up: the Troll dolls I had and my Barney stuffed doll. My neighbor smashed them to bits in front of me, though. She called them "annoying". Now I can go into detail on what happened next, but I won't. All you need to know is that it involves a man named J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/18 at 5:08 am

Give up: My then mental illness.

Not give up: The great pop culture of the 90's, except 1999.

Check for new replies or respond here...