inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the 1990's, started and ended, symbolically, in your life?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 12:38 am

Obviously inspired by the mid-90's thread.

Subject: Re: When did the 1990's, started and ended, symbolically, in your life?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/04/17 at 1:03 am

June 1998 - 31st December 1999. :P

I would contribute much more to this post, but my life in the 90s wasn't very long or eventful. :P

Subject: Re: When did the 1990's, started and ended, symbolically, in your life?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 1:13 am

June 1998 - 31st December 1999. :P

I would contribute much more to this post, but my life in the 90s wasn't very long or eventful. :P

Thank you for contributing anyways.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 1:15 am

For me, it started when I had my first memory around September/October 1991, and ended around April 2001, when we fully moved into a new house.  :)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/17 at 1:33 am

I'd begin the 90's as early as 1993, I guess. When I first started middle school and started watching Beavis and Butthead religiously. 1990-1992 get grouped in with the late 80's since my life between those periods wasn't too different. This era of my life is a bit hard to pin down. Thinking about it, I'd could group 1993 to mid 1996 together as a transitional period (one where each following year had stronger or more frequent changes than the last) because 1994 is when I discovered Dookie and Smash but before I started skateboarding, discovered the internet, discovering more bands and changed my look up to what it is now and while I did all those things in 1995 and 1996 I had yet to start going to shows and road trips. This time there was a fairly big change at home when my brother dropped out of high school and left home to run off with this girl. I also had a sandwich throw at me by this girl in 1995. Not fun. :-\\ Yeah... 1993 to mid 1996 or whatever.

Summer of 1996 had the biggest changes experience wise. The changes of 1994 and 1995 were huge but they were still relatively indoors and more contained to a certain place (e.g. my living room where I saw Longview on TV or in front of my house where I tried my first ollie). Summer of 1996 is when I went actually out into the world and really experienced life. It's when I went to my first Warped Tour, started seeing bands live and meeting a lot of new people (including people in bands). I even formed a short-lived band during this point. This is also when I went on a lot of road trips and experienced real tastes of freedom. It really helped with my ADD to go out and do things. I must of been diagnosed around this point or a little bit eariler. My attention was slipping constantly but I refused to take pills because I thought they would of worn me down. As a grown adult, taking pills helps a ton but I'm glad I left my youth alone for me to run wild discover who I was. I made a really bad habit of skipping class to go skateboard or go to the record shop to buy the latest pop punk CD's and it ended up with a lot of talks with school counselors and such. Sometimes my teachers were dicks and I'd get into arguments with them which even lead to the school thinking I had an "attitude problem" at one point. It wasn't that bad, though, only every once in a while that I really acted up. In middle school, kids made fun of me a little bit (and I had a girl throw a sandwich at me) but I never got bullied in HS as I learned quick around this time how to stick up for myself and demand respect. Whacked some guy with my skateboard (truck side, so metal hit the dude) for making fun of me and from then on people left me alone. I did get rejected by a lot of girls, however. Had one or two "girlfriends" (a few in middle school, too) but those never lasted for more than a couple of months. This did end up helping me. I learned how to brush things off and not harp too much when things go wrong. Other people's negative opinions of me stopped being important and I learned to stick to my guns. It prepped me for some more hurtful events that happened later on in my life. I got internet around late 1996, too! That was neat. I got my license around 1997 or something like that. I think this is around the time I went to some parties (not really HS parties but after parties for bands) and got drunk/high for the first time. Smoked pot until the end of the 90's but not very frequently at all. Once or twice a year maybe. Got drunk quite a bit, though. Made a big ass of myself many times and continued to do so, sober or drunk. I'd end this period around early spring 1999-ish because that's when I got into my first real relationship. As mentioned before, I had "girlfriends" before this but those weren't about serious commitment and were built on flaky foundations. I could really extend this period a little because getting in my first real relationship is still in line with the whole "experiencing new things" theme of my life at that point (I also met her sometime around 1997 and we'd already been friends for a while) but it was just such a big change for me to be with someone that I'll just separate it as it's own time. I guess part 1 and 2 is a good way to put it.

Part 2. Spring 1999 is when my time was split between skipping school to do whatever, going to shows, road trips, skateboarding and going on dates with my new girlfriend (who is now my wife). My sister started high school in late 1999 and we actually hung out quite a bit during her freshman/my senior year. Good bonding time! We talked about different bands and saw a lot of movies at the theater. My older brother was cool but he wasn't the most accessible guy most of the time. Smoked too much pot and was a pretty big burnout; I tried to be a better older brother. Wanted to be more approachable and it payed off. The fact that we closer in age also helped us form a good bond. My senior year was ok; I just barely graduated. Columbine paranoia was perpetuated by idiots who had unfounded fears about anyone seemingly different so I ignored those people best I could. I got my first job at a grocery store this year but I got fired sometime in 2000 for slacking off. The whole ADD thing and not paying attention didn't help. I got another job later that year. Grocery store, once again. This time my dad helped me get the job since he knew a guy's uncle who worked there or something. Another cool thing was that I started this Tripod website late that year where I reviewed CD's, had a "show journal" and posted about upcoming shows in San Jose. Things really didn't change too much between then and early 2003. For a very formative time in my life, it was extremely consistent. After that things got sour and I felt my first push into the adult world. I could end the 90's in very early 2003 (in my personal life, don't debate me on "duh culturr") as the 90's represented the happy youthful freedom of adolescence and the 00's represented generally boring adulthood and (sometimes) bitter feelings.

Written By: aja675 on 05/04/17 at 2:10 am

Ending- Sometime in 2002 when Home Cable's in-house karaoke channel was replaced by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myx It was also when some shops in town got closed, such as this dim sum place which got replaced by a bakery and a candy store which got replaced by a salon.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 2:16 am

I'd begin the 90's as early as 1993, I guess. When I first started middle school and started watching Beavis and Butthead religiously. 1990-1992 get grouped in with the late 80's since my life between those periods wasn't too different. This era of my life is a bit hard to pin down. Thinking about it, I'd could group 1993 to mid 1996 together as a transitional period (one where each following year had stronger or more frequent changes than the last) because 1994 is when I discovered Dookie and Smash but before I started skateboarding, discovered the internet, discovering more bands and changed my look up to what it is now and while I did all those things in 1995 and 1996 I had yet to start going to shows and road trips. This time there was a fairly big change at home when my brother dropped out of high school and left home to run off with this girl. I also had a sandwich throw at me by this girl in 1995. Not fun. :-\\ Yeah... 1993 to mid 1996 or whatever.

Summer of 1996 had the biggest changes experience wise. The changes of 1994 and 1995 were huge but they were still relatively indoors and more contained to a certain place (e.g. my living room where I saw Longview on TV or in front of my house where I tried my first ollie). Summer of 1996 is when I went actually out into the world and really experienced life. It's when I went to my first Warped Tour, started seeing bands live and meeting a lot of new people (including people in bands). I even formed a short-lived band during this point. This is also when I went on a lot of road trips and experienced real tastes of freedom. It really helped with my ADD to go out and do things. I must of been diagnosed around this point or a little bit eariler. My attention was slipping constantly but I refused to take pills because I thought they would of worn me down. As a grown adult, taking pills helps a ton but I'm glad I left my youth alone for me to run wild discover who I was. I made a really bad habit of skipping class to go skateboard or go to the record shop to buy the latest pop punk CD's and it ended up with a lot of talks with school counselors and such. Sometimes my teachers were dicks and I'd get into arguments with them which even lead to the school thinking I had an "attitude problem" at one point. It wasn't that bad, though, only every once in a while that I really acted up. In middle school, kids made fun of me a little bit (and I had a girl throw a sandwich at me) but I never got bullied in HS as I learned quick around this time how to stick up for myself and demand respect. Whacked some guy with my skateboard (truck side, so metal hit the dude) for making fun of me and from then on people left me alone. I did get rejected by a lot of girls, however. Had one or two "girlfriends" (a few in middle school, too) but those never lasted for more than a couple of months. This did end up helping me. I learned how to brush things off and not harp too much when things go wrong. Other people's negative opinions of me stopped being important and I learned to stick to my guns. It prepped me for some more hurtful events that happened later on in my life. I got internet around late 1996, too! That was neat. I got my license around 1997 or something like that. I think this is around the time I went to some parties (not really HS parties but after parties for bands) and got drunk/high for the first time. Smoked pot until the end of the 90's but not very frequently at all. Once or twice a year maybe. Got drunk quite a bit, though. Made a big ass of myself many times and continued to do so, sober or drunk. I'd end this period around early spring 1999-ish because that's when I got into my first real relationship. As mentioned before, I had "girlfriends" before this but those weren't about serious commitment and were built on flaky foundations. I could really extend this period a little because getting in my first real relationship is still in line with the whole "experiencing new things" theme of my life at that point (I also met her sometime around 1997 and we'd already been friends for a while) but it was just such a big change for me to be with someone that I'll just separate it as it's own time. I guess part 1 and 2 is a good way to put it.

Part 2. Spring 1999 is when my time was split between skipping school to do whatever, going to shows, road trips, skateboarding and going on dates with my new girlfriend (who is now my wife). My sister started high school in late 1999 and we actually hung out quite a bit during her freshman/my senior year. Good bonding time! We talked about different bands and saw a lot of movies at the theater. My older brother was cool but he wasn't the most accessible guy most of the time. Smoked too much pot and was a pretty big burnout; I tried to be a better older brother. Wanted to be more approachable and it payed off. The fact that we closer in age also helped us form a good bond. My senior year was ok; I just barely graduated. Columbine paranoia was perpetuated by idiots who had unfounded fears about anyone seemingly different so I ignored those people best I could. I got my first job at a grocery store this year but I got fired sometime in 2000 for slacking off. The whole ADD thing and not paying attention didn't help. I got another job later that year. Grocery store, once again. This time my dad helped me get the job since he knew a guy's uncle who worked there or something. Another cool thing was that I started this Tripod website late that year where I reviewed CD's, had a "show journal" and posted about upcoming shows in San Jose. Things really didn't change too much between then and early 2003. For a very formative time in my life, it was extremely consistent. After that things got sour and I felt my first push into the adult world. I could end the 90's in very early 2003 (in my personal life, don't debate me on "duh culturr") as the 90's represented the happy youthful freedom of adolescence and the 00's represented generally boring adulthood and (sometimes) bitter feelings.

I'll read this tomorrow. It's 2 AM now, and I'm too tired to read too much. Interesting though.

Written By: aja675 on 05/04/17 at 2:40 am

I'll read this tomorrow. It's 2 AM now, and I'm too tired to read too much. Interesting though.
So that's why no one's responding to me on Reddit.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 4:53 am

So that's why no one's responding to me on Reddit.

Probably.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 4:56 am

Sounds like you had a blast in the 1990's. Except things like the sandwich throwing!  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/04/17 at 8:36 am

Some of my earliest memories are from 1990, so I'd start it there.

As for when they ended symbolically, for me that's easy. August-September 2001. I started high school after some of my best friends moved away over the summer, then 9/11 happened a few weeks later. Additionally, my parents moved out of my childhood house in February 2002, so certainly any "residue" of the '90s was totally gone for me by that point.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 8:51 am

I read it

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/04/17 at 9:01 am

I read it

I think that post was actually longer than Donald Trump's inaugural address. And much better written, too. ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/17 at 11:19 am

Officially, the 90s started for me in August 1992, but I didn't really begin experiencing them until mid-1995, when my first cinematic memories took place, including my 3rd birthday party.

The 90s for me ended sometime right around the start of the new millennium, when I switched schools in the middle of 1st grade because I wasn't comfortable where I was. The transition was complete once Panda's P.E., by far the most memorable activity center of my early childhood, was shut down around mid-late 2000, plus a new shopping center, complete with a movie theater and restaurants I loved, opened nearby, right on the other side of the Interstate 15. I did visit a similar kid's P.E. center in the early 2000s, but Panda's left the biggest imprint on my life, thanks to the unbeliavably enthusiastic man who hosted the place.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 12:51 pm

I read it

Receipts!! I need to see the receipts!!

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 1:39 pm

I think that post was actually longer than Donald Trump's inaugural address. And much better written, too. ;D

But Trump brought the biggest crowd in the history of crowds!

Receipts!! I need to see the receipts!!

We should pass a bill that bans minors from buying skateboards since they can be used as weapons.

It reminds me of when I was at the playground on the swings and laughing with my friend about something completely unrelated, and my other friend pushed me off the swing and started beating me up with a tennis racquet because he thought I was laughing at him.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 4:14 pm

But Trump brought the biggest crowd in the history of crowds!

We should pass a bill that bans minors from buying skateboards since they can be used as weapons.

It reminds me of when I was at the playground on the swings and laughing with my friend about something completely unrelated, and my other friend pushed me off the swing and started beating me up with a tennis racquet because he thought I was laughing at him.  :-X

Although it was understandable why he was upset, he should have asked you what you guys were laughing at. He must have had a chip on his shoulder.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 5:14 pm

Although it was understandable why he was upset, he should have asked you what you guys were laughing at. He must have had a chip on his shoulder.

He was the laughing stock of the neighbourhood for the day. I forget what for, but he was jaded for a reason. :-X But I didn't partake in that stuff. Anyway, we still keep in touch and we just laugh about it now. ;D

Oh, to answer the thread question, I'd say the '90s started when I was born. Everything before that was '80s. The mid '90s began perhaps in late 1993 when I learnt how to walk. My mom says I almost never cried as a baby, but I was a huge trouble toddler ;D

And like I said in the other thread, spring 1997 was the start of the late '90s for me. We finally got a computer, and my aunt got married and moved out. I'd say the 'transition' (so to speak) into the late '90s was complete sometime in late 1997/early 1998 when I met my neighbours (I remember it was 1997/1998 because the older sister was wearing a Titanic T-shirt and I thought the kissing was gross  8-P) and they became my best friends. We lived in a townhouse, and there was no fence between our backyards, so we kept our backyard doors unlocked and we'd walk in and out of each other's houses all the time without announcement. You haven't lived until you've played hide and seek between two houses. 8)

I also met many of my life long friends and most my neighbours in late 1997. I was still a kindergartener though, so other than my classmates, they wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with me until next year.  :-X

The 1990s ended in autumn 1999 when I moved to a new house (but still the same neighbourhood). I didn't live next door to my friends anymore, so it wasn't the same. I also stopped getting picked on at school because the 8th Graders that kept trying to tickle me to death at recess finally graduated. My cousins immigrated to Canada in November 1999 and installed in the neighbourhood across the street from mine. The first time I met them, I said "Let's play Power Rangers!" and beat them up. Their English sucked so they had no idea what I was saying.  :-[ Anyway, their neighbourhood had all the k00l kidz, and my social group basically doubled in size because they treated me as one of their own.  8)

The early 2000s were way more similar to the 1990s than they were to the mid-late 2000s for me, but that's whole 'nother can of worms, and in the interest of time I'll end the 1990s here. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 6:19 pm

He was the laughing stock of the neighbourhood for the day. I forget what for, but he was jaded for a reason. :-X But I didn't partake in that stuff. Anyway, we still keep in touch and we just laugh about it now. ;D

Oh, to answer the thread question, I'd say the '90s started when I was born. Everything before that was '80s. The mid '90s began perhaps in late 1993 when I learnt how to walk. My mom says I almost never cried as a baby, but I was a huge trouble toddler ;D

And like I said in the other thread, spring 1997 was the start of the late '90s for me. We finally got a computer, and my aunt got married and moved out. I'd say the 'transition' (so to speak) into the late '90s was complete sometime in late 1997/early 1998 when I met my neighbours (I remember it was 1997/1998 because the older sister was wearing a Titanic T-shirt and I thought the kissing was gross  8-P) and they became my best friends. We lived in a townhouse, and there was no fence between our backyards, so we kept our backyard doors unlocked and we'd walk in and out of each other's houses all the time without announcement. You haven't lived until you've played hide and seek between two houses. 8)

I also met many of my life long friends and most my neighbours in late 1997. I was still a kindergartener though, so other than my classmates, they wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with me until next year.  :-X

The 1990s ended in autumn 1999 when I moved to a new house. I didn't live next door to my friends anymore, so it wasn't the same. I also stopped getting picked on at school because the 8th Graders that kept trying to tickle me to death at recess finally graduated. My cousins immigrated to Canada in November 1999 and installed in the neighbourhood across the street from mine. The first time I met them, I said "Let's play Power Rangers!" and beat them up. Their English sucked so they had no idea what I was saying.  :-[ Anyway, their neighbourhood had all the k00l kidz, and my social group basically doubled in size because they treated me as one of their own.  8)

The early 2000s were way more similar to the 1990s than they were to the mid-late 2000s for me, but that's whole 'nother can of worms, and in the interest of time I'll end the 1990s here. ;D

I was class clown in high school! Can you believe that??  ::)  ::)  :o  :o  :o

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 6:20 pm

What did you do?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 6:22 pm

What did you do?

I was just funny!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 6:26 pm

I was just funny!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Were you the one who kept interrupting in class?  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 6:26 pm

Were you the one who kept interrupting in class?  >:(

Sometimes!  :(  :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/17 at 7:47 pm

So was I! (Imagine that....)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 8:03 pm

;D  ;D  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/17 at 8:17 pm

Sounds like you had a blast in the 1990's. Except things like the sandwich throwing!  :)

Yeah, sandwich throwing sucks.

I read it

Damn right you did. And you'll read it again, too, because I write a 5-star novel with every post.

I should run for president!

No way! :-\\

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/04/17 at 8:19 pm

Our lord and savior Tony Hawk wouldn't want that.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 8:19 pm

https://blogimnotwriting.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/baby-surprise.jpg

I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/17 at 8:33 pm

Our lord and savior Tony Hawk wouldn't want that.

He's the true god. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/17 at 8:37 pm

Will the skateboard and hoverboard chase sequences have to be cut out of "Back To The Future"?  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/05/17 at 1:26 am

https://blogimnotwriting.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/baby-surprise.jpg

I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

Or, if you were a 70's Kidâ„¢ :

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/55/dc/31/55dc3187b17bf749a0396cd8793ab9a5.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/17 at 1:40 am

As my calendar told me so.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/05/17 at 6:06 am

My first memory of the 90's was around 1997 and the last time the 90's feeling was around in my opinion was early 2003. I changed school's around mid 2003 and in late 2003 the Irish TV station RTE changed it's millennium era stings and idents to it's mid 2000's ones which were a lot more bland and forgettable. So yeah here in Ireland 2003 to me seems to be the end of an era

Written By: Alexander1956 on 05/06/17 at 10:30 pm

For me, the 90s started on October 31st 1989 when my oldest son was born, which changed everything, and it definitely put an end to my 70s & 80s crazy partying era  ;D. And they ended in 2001 when I got divorced.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/19/17 at 4:36 pm

Symbolically, for me the 90s started in 1990 and ended in 1999....and I'm not saying this to seem sarcastic or anything. It REALLY did begin in 1990 and end in 1999 for me. I was 10 in 1990 and 19 in 1999 so every year of the decade was symbolical for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/19/17 at 7:18 pm

For me it started when I was born of course, but to me symbolically the 90's ended in 2001.

My hometown built a bunch of new stores, added new roads, and cut down a lot of trees throughout 2001. Throughout 2000 and earlier we only went to the old 90's looking stores far on the other side of town, but once the new stores were built in 2001, those were closer to our house so we've only gone there. All those new stores at the time had a modern look.

Half of my family moved to new houses throughout 2001 while others including my own house changed a lot of furniture and got new TV's. My grandparents used to have dark brown furniture everywhere including dark brown kitchen and doors, all of that changed to white furniture and light brown wood in 2001.

My family switched from Windows 98 & dial up to Windows XP & broadband in 2001.

2001 was the last year my dad had his 1994 Geo Prism car. He switched to a 2002 Ford Ranger by the end of the year.

2001 marked the end of my early childhood and the beginning of my core childhood, finishing preschool/pre-K at a private Christian school in May 2001, and beginning elementary school in August 2001 where I learned how to interact with people and make new friends.

2001 was the last year my family bought VHS tapes, by the end of the year or early 2002 we started buying DVD's only.

and even if 9/11 never happened, this would still apply to my life. 2001 was a very transitional year for my family, personal life, and hometown.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/20/17 at 9:35 am

For me it started when I was born of course, but to me symbolically the 90's ended in 2001.

My hometown built a bunch of new stores, added new roads, and cut down a lot of trees throughout 2001. Throughout 2000 and earlier we only went to the old 90's looking stores far on the other side of town, but once the new stores were built in 2001, those were closer to our house so we've only gone there. All those new stores at the time had a modern look.

Half of my family moved to new houses throughout 2001 while others including my own house changed a lot of furniture and got new TV's. My grandparents used to have dark brown furniture everywhere including dark brown kitchen and doors, all of that changed to white furniture and light brown wood in 2001.

2001 was the last year my dad had his 1994 Geo Prism car. He switched to a 2002 Ford Ranger by the end of the year.

2001 marked the end of my early childhood and the beginning of my core childhood, finishing preschool/pre-K at a private Christian school in May 2001, and beginning elementary school in August 2001 where I learned how to interact with people and make new friends.

2001 was the last year my family bought VHS tapes, by the end of the year or early 2002 we started buying DVD's only.

and even if 9/11 never happened, this would still apply to my life. 2001 was a very transitional year for my family, personal life, and hometown.

Same here. It's kind of amazing how "transitional" the second half of 2001 was for me as well.

My friend who had lived next door to me for several years moved in early August 2001, then I started my freshman year of high school later that month. Several of my best friends from middle school moved away that summer, and then my parents officially bought their new house in November and we started planning to move. Like you, even if 9/11 hadn't happened, late 2001 would still have been a massively transitional time in my life.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/26/17 at 12:25 pm

For me the 90s started on May 1, 1990 to September 11, 2001. The 00s Started on September 11, 2001 to January 20, 2009.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/26/17 at 1:44 pm

All of this. I remember the Summer of 2001 like it was yesterday and it represented the end of the 90's from a cultural standpoint. Based on my memories the years 1999-2001 all sort of coincide with each other

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 1:59 pm

Symbolically, for me the 90s started in 1990 and ended in 1999....and I'm not saying this to seem sarcastic or anything. It REALLY did begin in 1990 and end in 1999 for me. I was 10 in 1990 and 19 in 1999 so every year of the decade was symbolical for me.

I bet most people would think you were being sarcastic if you didn't go into detail.  ;D  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 8:40 pm

Symbolically started - 1998 (when I was conceived ;D)

Literally started - July 13, 1999 (the day I was born)

Literally ended - December 31, 1999

Symbolically ended - sometime in 2002 (when I was 3 :P)

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/27/17 at 3:41 pm

September 4, 1990 for me, as that was my first day of kindergarten and went to school in the same building through middle school. By this time, I was no longer a small kid with diapers a fleeing memory, and my parents got cable TV for the first time a couple months later along with a nicely used 1989 Dodge Caravan that would be used into the '00s, in contrast to my father's 1979 Mustang and 1985 Ford Escort, in which shortly after, my dad purchased a 1990 Dodge Colt. I could even tell the disappearance of synthpop and freestyle around this time even though I wasn't old enough to understand the artists/lyrics. It was also around the time my last great-grandparent had passed away.

It ended for me on August 30, 1999 when I started high school. By then, I hat hit puberty, and my parents shortly afterwards would subscribe to NetZero making the Internet a permanent fixture. By then, my early childhood at decade's beginning seemed quite distant, and was fascinated by how modern The Matrix, Dreamcast, and some of the Y2K styles/fashion seemed back then. It was also the first time I noticed that it wasn't cool to like childhood trends at school like Pokemon, which I enjoyed outside of class. That October, my mom purchased a 2000 Chrysler Sebring, the first car we had with leather, a garage door  HomeLink system, and a CD player.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/27/17 at 5:52 pm

September 4, 1990 for me, as that was my first day of kindergarten and went to school in the same building through middle school. By this time, I was no longer a small kid with diapers a fleeing memory, and my parents got cable TV for the first time a couple months later along with a nicely used 1989 Dodge Caravan that would be used into the '00s, in contrast to my father's 1979 Mustang and 1985 Ford Escort, in which shortly after, my dad purchased a 1990 Dodge Colt. I could even tell the disappearance of synthpop and freestyle around this time even though I wasn't old enough to understand the artists/lyrics. It was also around the time my last great-grandparent had passed away.

It ended for me on August 30, 1999 when I started high school. By then, I hat hit puberty, and my parents shortly afterwards would subscribe to NetZero making the Internet a permanent fixture. By then, my early childhood at decade's beginning seemed quite distant, and was fascinated by how modern The Matrix, Dreamcast, and some of the Y2K styles/fashion seemed back then. It was also the first time I noticed that it wasn't cool to like childhood trends at school like Pokemon, which I enjoyed outside of class. That October, my mom purchased a 2000 Chrysler Sebring, the first car we had with leather, a garage door  HomeLink system, and a CD player.

Ironically, the Y2K stuff from the time you started high school seems more futuristic than the stuff you would see today.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/29/17 at 2:44 pm

The beginning was September 1991 when I was born, but my clear memories of the 90s start in 1995.

The end was September 2000 when I started middle school.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/05/17 at 3:43 am

For the start...

I struggle between beginnings:

1. The series premiere of Rugrats
2. Watching Hook on VHS.
3. The never-ending rotation of Smells Like Teen Spirit.
4. The inauguration of Bill Clinton.

For the end....

No question...1999. The embodiment of the Transitive Year. 1999 just felt like things were changing so fast. I get that in many ways 1999 wasn't that different from 98 but 1999 felt like a whirlwind I haven't felt before or since.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 06/06/17 at 11:59 am

Symbolically, for me, the '90s began in January of 1990 when I noticed my cousin was watching "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" three or four times a day. People at my school were comparing the music of Janet Jackson to that of Paula Abdul while I was talking about how pretty Christina Applegate was. It is like Slowpoke once said, 1990 to 1992 were the real '90s. The '90s ended in January of 1999 when all Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles memorabilia was gone from shelves, Seinfeld was a cancelled show, and Paula Abdul was no longer producing music. 

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 06/06/17 at 12:01 pm

For the start...

2. Watching Hook on VHS.

Where were you when The Simpsons premiered on January 14th of 1990?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/06/17 at 6:26 pm

For the start...

2. Watching Hook on VHS.

For the end....

No question...1999. The embodiment of the Transitive Year. 1999 just felt like things were changing so fast. I get that in many ways 1999 wasn't that different from 98 but 1999 felt like a whirlwind I haven't felt before or since.

However, 1999 was the last year before reality TV exploded. It really seemed 50/50 when it came to "90's-ness" and "2000's-ness".

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/07/17 at 1:20 am

Symbolically, for me, the '90s began in January of 1990 when I noticed my cousin was watching "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" three or four times a day. People at my school were comparing the music of Janet Jackson to that of Paula Abdul while I was talking about how pretty Christina Applegate was. It is like Slowpoke once said, 1990 to 1992 were the real '90s. The '90s ended in January of 1999 when all Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles memorabilia was gone from shelves, Seinfeld was a cancelled show, and Paula Abdul was no longer producing music.

Slowpoke, did you say this?

Written By: 2001 on 06/07/17 at 5:38 am

Slowpoke, did you say this?

He agrees with my agreement with him, and I agree with that.  8)

I agree with Early '90s Guy.  :-X :-X :-X :-X

1990-1992 are the real '90s.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

But I'd extend it to include 1993-1995 as well.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/07/17 at 6:33 am

He agrees with my agreement with him, and I agree with that.  8)

I guess this means that 1990-1992 is the real 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/17 at 7:47 pm

I guess this means that 1990-1992 is the real 90's.

But do you have.....the receipts??

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5489f07769bedd603ec1380d-2400/173615939-1.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 06/09/17 at 12:04 am

Started: late 1992
Ended: early 1999

Written By: 80sfan on 06/09/17 at 12:37 am

It was a hot time to be a teenager!

https://i.imgur.com/Ujrq7wt_d.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 06/09/17 at 6:45 pm

i'm never wanted or liked or worth anything at all

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 6:51 pm

i'm never wanted or liked or worth anything at all

You are wanted and liked by me :). Don't say that about yourself.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/17 at 8:51 pm

Where were you when The Simpsons premiered on January 14th of 1990?

No idea. I think the Simpsons was a little too mature or intellectually ahead for me at the time. I remember pre-school. I remember preferring Hanna Barbara cartoons (Flintstones, Jetsons) over late 80s cartoons (Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles). I remember there not being many options from my age group (there actually weren't too many tv options for anyone but I didn't notice that at the time). Nickelodeon really changed the game in 1990 and dominated the entire decade if you were a kid back then.  I remember feeling like we were on the cusp of something new but that all these things from the past were still hanging on. A substantial amount of people still had record players and huge vinyl collections (and not even in a slightly ironic way) at some point in that time, people started getting rid of them en masse.

I didn't start watching The Simpsons on a normal basis until around 93-95. I vividly remember the Who Shot Mr.Burns episode. I remember me and a lot of people (including adults) being invested in the mystery. I remember older people feeling like The Simpsons was past it's prime and was just another show by the time I started to watch it regularly...if only they fking knew what the next decade would bring.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/17 at 8:55 pm

I think the late 80s-early 90s was its own thing, kinda like 08-12 was its own thing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/17 at 8:58 pm

However, 1999 was the last year before reality TV exploded. It really seemed 50/50 when it came to "90's-ness" and "2000's-ness".

For me, 2000 seemed...boring. I totally remember reality tv taking over. I really, really, hated it. It was way too much. OVERSATURATION It seriously felt like tv culture fell into the abyss for a moment.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 06/13/17 at 12:44 pm

No idea. I think the Simpsons was a little too mature or intellectually ahead for me at the time. I remember pre-school. I remember preferring Hanna Barbara cartoons (Flintstones, Jetsons) over late 80s cartoons (Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles). I remember there not being many options from my age group (there actually weren't too many tv options for anyone but I didn't notice that at the time). Nickelodeon really changed the game in 1990 and dominated the entire decade if you were a kid back then.  I remember feeling like we were on the cusp of something new but that all these things from the past were still hanging on. A substantial amount of people still had record players and huge vinyl collections (and not even in a slightly ironic way) at some point in that time, people started getting rid of them en masse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Real Ghostbusters are '80s/'90s cartoons. They spanned the '80s.

I remember older people feeling like The Simpsons was past it's prime and was just another show by the time I started to watch it regularly...if only they fking knew what the next decade would bring.

I'm one of those people.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/13/17 at 2:21 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Real Ghostbusters are '80s/'90s cartoons. They spanned the '80s.

I'm one of those people.  ;D

How old are you, btw?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/13/17 at 3:09 pm

How old are you, btw?

He was born in 1977.

Check for new replies or respond here...