inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody Notice How Old '90s Commercials Seem These Days?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/24/17 at 10:27 am

It's said that commercials are a good judge for how old a time period has gotten, and if that's the case then the '90s are truly ancient. Take a look at this ad I came across on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG7hcCe0h0

You know, I've been having a hard time with the fact that the early '90s are almost 30 years old, but when you see a commercial like that it becomes much easier to accept!

Subject: Re: Anybody Notice How Old '90s Commercials Seem These Days?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/24/17 at 10:36 am

It's because too many commercials these days are droned out in EDM beats and have widescreen, HD rendering. I've actually gotten the same reaction looking back at advertisements from the early 2000s, like this one that I've remembered for 15 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXmOeee-50

At first, I was freaking out when the early 2000s were as old as the late 1980s were at the time, but picking up things here like the lower resolution, 4:3 aspect ratio, ditzy main character, and yuppie narrator put it all into perspective.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/24/17 at 10:45 am

Those are all good points. I think the fact that older ads are pre-HD and usually taken off old video tapes definitely add to how old they seem. Plus, jingles were still a thing, too. Even in the late '90s you would still see ads like this on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdH0x7vuXRQ

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/24/17 at 10:46 am

It's because too many commercials these days are droned out in EDM beats and have widescreen, HD rendering. I've actually gotten the same reaction looking back at advertisements from the early 2000s, like this one that I've remembered for 15 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXmOeee-50

At first, I was freaking out when the early 2000s were as old as the late 1980s were at the time, but picking up things here like the lower resolution, 4:3 aspect ratio, ditzy main character, and yuppie narrator put it all into perspective.

I agree with you (particularly with the parts in bold). Most commercials nowadays just don't have that "homely" feel that a lot of commercials before the late 2000s/early 2010s had.

A few companies have gone for that retro feel though...like Dr. Pepper:

mY4QCIa3dVQ
This is from 2013^

Also, Taco Bell (The Council for Eating Fried Chicken the Same Way You Always Have ;D) with a 1950s and early 1960s vibe:

qSSGqHH2u-8
This is from 2017^

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/24/17 at 11:00 am

Also, one more before I forget.

Burger King just released commercial GOLD with their newest commercial:

6BFZPIUYyr0
This was just released 6 days ago^ ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/24/17 at 11:19 am

Yeah because a lot of today's commercials seem boring and not memorable.

Written By: nally on 05/24/17 at 11:19 am

Yeah because a lot of today's commercials seem boring and not memorable.

Too true! I find most of today's ads annoying anyways, which is why I refuse to watch 'em.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/17 at 3:19 pm

Too true! I find most of today's ads annoying anyways, which is why I refuse to watch 'em.

same here, I don't watch a lot of today's commercials myself.

Written By: annimal on 05/24/17 at 3:32 pm

Snickers makes mouth happy

sometimes you feel like a nut  sometimes you don't Almond Joy has nuts Mounds don't

there use to be a Golden Grams commercial    to the OS  Happy Together

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/24/17 at 4:28 pm

Absolutely. I have a YouTube channel where I upload recorded TV and radio content, and it has become really evident how much some commercials have aged. Here is a montage of a few commercials I found on one of my VHS tapes from 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGnsox-NLM

Also, check out 1:15 in the video. It's a promo for Aladdin being released onto video. Why was Aladdin only officially released onto video in Australia in Late 1994 when the movie was released in 1992?  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/24/17 at 5:21 pm

Absolutely. I have a YouTube channel where I upload recorded TV and radio content, and it has become really evident how much some commercials have aged. Here is a montage of a few commercials I found on one of my VHS tapes from 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGnsox-NLM

Also, check out 1:15 in the video. It's a promo for Aladdin being released onto video. Why was Aladdin only officially released onto video in Australia in Late 1994 when the movie was released in 1992?  ???

Well, Aladdin was released in late 1992 (November 25, 1992) and the film was first released on VHS on October 1, 1993 in the US. So.....releasing it on VHS in Australia a year later isn't too weird.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/24/17 at 6:04 pm

I agree commercials these days do not have as much 'soul' as they did in the 80's/90's/early 00's. One of my favorite adverts when I was a kid was the Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup commercials during the 'MMM, Good' Era.

IaIuZODADlY

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/24/17 at 6:42 pm

I'd rather watch 90s commercials than 2010s TV. Sad isn't it?
90s TV was the best.

Written By: nally on 05/24/17 at 10:45 pm

90s TV was the best.

Yeah, the 90s had some great TV programs too. I do admit watching a lot of TV in general in the early 90's; I even remember some notable ads.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/17 at 5:05 am

90s TV was the best.

90's TV had still some good sitcoms.

Written By: nally on 05/25/17 at 6:15 pm

90's TV had still some good sitcoms.

Absolutely. And some good-natured ads to go with them.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/25/17 at 7:17 pm

Of course being one of the primary uploaders of commercials from the '90s (the pannoni4 series of channels), it's enough to feel like that its more of a virtual time portal, as the channel features a list of commercial blocks from every year between 1980 and 1999 (the year I personally stop since after that point, the atmosphere starts to lose that "Classic" field as HD, widescreen, and more "modern" ad design like mini-skits, small text, more contemporary fonts, and 5.1 HDMI sound takes over. Even the Head On commercial from 2006 (sort of a bridge between old school and new school from a 2017 perspective) feels very old, while AT&T commercials from that year (after they freshened their logo/slogan) still feels quite fresh now. The same is true with network promos even, especially for dramas and special events. Most importantly, I miss how '90s commercials really urged you to buy that product or even try it if it was a cheesy direct response item like a Time Life CD or a kitchen appliance. 2010s ads simply try too hard, plain and simple.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/25/17 at 11:04 pm

Of course being one of the primary uploaders of commercials from the '90s (the pannoni4 series of channels), it's enough to feel like that its more of a virtual time portal, as the channel features a list of commercial blocks from every year between 1980 and 1999 (the year I personally stop since after that point, the atmosphere starts to lose that "Classic" field as HD, widescreen, and more "modern" ad design like mini-skits, small text, more contemporary fonts, and 5.1 HDMI sound takes over.

Honest question, why else do you feel a bit apprehensive with the early 2000's being lumped into the 'classic' category? Was it a cultural impact that made the years 2000 and onward more different than 1999 & before. From what I've heard from many 80's babies, the year 1999 seemed to be the last time in their lives in which they felt optimistic of the world.

Also on the part on bold, the reason I ask this is because from what I remember, researched, and seem to have a general understanding of, the rise of HD and Widescreen didn't really start to form until the mid 2000's, around 2004/2005. Sure the HD format existed in the early 2000's but it was VERY uncommon from what I remember. Heck technically it existed since the mid 90's, and in the late 90's major broadcasters started offering HD broadcasts of certain programs. Even then, most HDTV sets at the time were undistinguishable to standard CRT sets as they both encompassed the 90's era Black Shell surrounding the bulgy tube. So overall the impact really wasn't even there.

Add to the fact that CDs were still the dominant format for music (and many companies offered cassette options and MP3s were starting to become common), analog cameras were still common, VHS was still the standard (although DVD started making rounds), Dial-up was still the most common way to access the web and even then most Americans still didn't have internet access, among other technological aspects and you'll notice the early 2000's are not that modern at all. Minus DVDs and MP3s becoming more common, the early 2000's are practically the same as the late 1990's from a technological standpoint.

Maybe back in 2010 I could understand why someone would use the 2000 cutoff as the bridge between 'classic' to modern, but as time has gone by and the various technological advances in recent years have surfaced that "Everything after 2000 is modern" argument is starting to seem less stable. From a 2017 standpoint, I'd say the passage way between old school to new school would be somewhere in the 2005-2007 ball park.

That leads back into my first point, since its obvious that from a technological standpoint that 1999 & 2000 (let alone much of the late 90's & early 00's) are similar, then was the sudden change more cultural or symbolic? Its understandable as the year 2000 was seen as the 'future' for so long, be it science fiction or crazy conspiracy theories. My theory is that, despite 2000 having little to no major resemblance to the current year, that due to the hysteria and focus the year had gotten for much of the 20th century, that it makes the year automatically lumped into 'the future'. Thus even possibly 20 years from now in 2037, its VERY possible that the year 2000 will still be seen by many (of course not all, but regardless) as modern rather than classic. As more people who vividly lived through the 20th century rapidly age, the impact of the year 2000 would become less significant and thus lumping the year 2000 with prior years of the 20th century would become less controversial. I'm sure a similar phenomenon like this happened during the turn of the 20th century 117 years ago. I'm guessing many people who lived through the 19th century saw everything 1900 onwards as modern, even well into the 20th century, be it during the 1920's.

Just a theory though, wonder what your thoughts on this is.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/26/17 at 1:26 am

Maybe back in 2010 I could understand why someone would use the 2000 cutoff as the bridge between 'classic' to modern, but as time has gone by and the various technological advances in recent years have surfaced that "Everything after 2000 is modern" argument is starting to seem less stable.

Yeah I roll my eyes at that bandwagon, simplified saying.

2000-2004 is firmly "classic". Just look at the commercials from that time period, or the movies. They seem very cheesy, and not at all like what is going on today. 2005-2007 was more of a transitional period, and 2008-2009+ is what I'd consider "modern".

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/26/17 at 5:24 am

For me, it's more symbolic, although there's no question that things weren't quite the same as while still unlike today, you could certainly "feel" that slowly but surely, a new century was unfolding. Perhaps with the passage of time and new developments, I see the early-mid 2000s as "semi-classic", but remember, it wasn't like the entire '90s all at once felt old. In the late '90s, only 1990 and 1991 felt that way since they were similar to ads from the mid-late '80s with their synths, catchy jingles, and early computer graphics. The rest of the '90s seemed a lot more "timeless" to me, although 1992-1995 started to seem old around 2000 due to the lack of Internet references and the lack of certain graphic styles associated with the Y2K era. I'd say around 2006 is when 1996, 1997, and 1998 started to get that dated thanks to the lack of 5.1 and HD and different voiceover styles compared to what was current, while 1999 sort of hung on until around 2010 or so.

Written By: aja675 on 05/26/17 at 10:07 am

I think this is one of the earliest commercials I remember:
m37SdrkRMQ4

BTW, I think New Zealand looks so scenic in this commercial.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/26/17 at 1:58 pm

Honest question, why else do you feel a bit apprehensive with the early 2000's being lumped into the 'classic' category? Was it a cultural impact that made the years 2000 and onward more different than 1999 & before. From what I've heard from many 80's babies, the year 1999 seemed to be the last time in their lives in which they felt optimistic of the world.

Also on the part on bold, the reason I ask this is because from what I remember, researched, and seem to have a general understanding of, the rise of HD and Widescreen didn't really start to form until the mid 2000's, around 2004/2005. Sure the HD format existed in the early 2000's but it was VERY uncommon from what I remember. Heck technically it existed since the mid 90's, and in the late 90's major broadcasters started offering HD broadcasts of certain programs. Even then, most HDTV sets at the time were undistinguishable to standard CRT sets as they both encompassed the 90's era Black Shell surrounding the bulgy tube. So overall the impact really wasn't even there.

Add to the fact that CDs were still the dominant format for music (and many companies offered cassette options and MP3s were starting to become common), analog cameras were still common, VHS was still the standard (although DVD started making rounds), Dial-up was still the most common way to access the web and even then most Americans still didn't have internet access, among other technological aspects and you'll notice the early 2000's are not that modern at all. Minus DVDs and MP3s becoming more common, the early 2000's are practically the same as the late 1990's from a technological standpoint.

Maybe back in 2010 I could understand why someone would use the 2000 cutoff as the bridge between 'classic' to modern, but as time has gone by and the various technological advances in recent years have surfaced that "Everything after 2000 is modern" argument is starting to seem less stable. From a 2017 standpoint, I'd say the passage way between old school to new school would be somewhere in the 2005-2007 ball park.

That leads back into my first point, since its obvious that from a technological standpoint that 1999 & 2000 (let alone much of the late 90's & early 00's) are similar, then was the sudden change more cultural or symbolic? Its understandable as the year 2000 was seen as the 'future' for so long, be it science fiction or crazy conspiracy theories. My theory is that, despite 2000 having little to no major resemblance to the current year, that due to the hysteria and focus the year had gotten for much of the 20th century, that it makes the year automatically lumped into 'the future'. Thus even possibly 20 years from now in 2037, its VERY possible that the year 2000 will still be seen by many (of course not all, but regardless) as modern rather than classic. As more people who vividly lived through the 20th century rapidly age, the impact of the year 2000 would become less significant and thus lumping the year 2000 with prior years of the 20th century would become less controversial. I'm sure a similar phenomenon like this happened during the turn of the 20th century 117 years ago. I'm guessing many people who lived through the 19th century saw everything 1900 onwards as modern, even well into the 20th century, be it during the 1920's.

Just a theory though, wonder what your thoughts on this is.

I agree on this. I've said several times before about how dated the early '00s have started to seem to me.

I think for a long time the reason so many '80s born people didn't accept the early '00s as old is because we were all in middle school/high school/college at the time, and so our memories of those years seem so fresh. I know that that's the case for me. 2000-2003 still seems like yesterday. You also have to remember that the technology that emerged during that time, like flip-phones, 6th gen video gaming, etc., all seemed really new and fresh to us back then, radically different than what we had grown up with in the '90s.

Now, though, I don't think anybody my age has any problem accepting that the early '00s are old by 2017 standards. Just think about how much has changed since then. You laid it out quite well in your post. Even 2002 seems very dated to me these days when I think back to my life at that time. No cell phone, dial-up internet, the PS2 being the dominant gaming console. I would only get online for about an hour a day back then because our dial-up was so slow. Now I spend most of my day online without even thinking about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 2:05 pm

I don't know about commercials, but I just watched 1996's Scream and just noticed how outdated it looked.  :o  :o  :o
The fashion, the clothes, the energy of the movie. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 5:29 pm

I don't know about commercials, but I just watched 1996's Scream and just noticed how outdated it looked.  :o  :o  :o
The fashion, the clothes, the energy of the movie. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

I don't know if it's just me but me ever since the 1980s.....the basic "essence" of everyday live for the average American is virtually the same. I have seen videos of people driving on the highway from 1988 (the scenery and buildings) and I've seen video of high school students from 1990-1993. Based on those things and more (politics, socio-economically, etc), I think that taking someone from 1987 and putting them in 2017 wouldn't be that big of a shock as taking someone from 1947 and putting them in 1977. I hope you guys understand what I'm saying  :-\\.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/27/17 at 1:04 pm

I don't know if it's just me but me ever since the 1980s.....the basic "essence" of everyday live for the average American is virtually the same. I have seen videos of people driving on the highway from 1988 (the scenery and buildings) and I've seen video of high school students from 1990-1993. Based on those things and more (politics, socio-economically, etc), I think that taking someone from 1987 and putting them in 2017 wouldn't be that big of a shock as taking someone from 1947 and putting them in 1977. I hope you guys understand what I'm saying  :-\\.

I get what you mean. Things haven't really changed all that much culturally since the '80s, with the obvious exception of people being far more accepting of gay rights than they were back then. I don't think somebody from 1987 would be all that blown away culturally by what's going on in 2017, whereas going from 1947 to 1977 is like another world.

It's different technologically, though. Things have changed quite rapidly over the last 30 years in that arena. I know that in 1997 I would've been completely floored by the idea of being able to watch a movie on a cell phone back then. Like, that would've been something out of The Jetsons. Even the idea of being able to stream video on-demand and watch any movie I want to without having to go to Blockbuster would've been amazing back then.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 1:42 pm

I get what you mean. Things haven't really changed all that much culturally since the '80s, with the obvious exception of people being far more accepting of gay rights than they were back then. I don't think somebody from 1987 would be all that blown away culturally by what's going on in 2017, whereas going from 1947 to 1977 is like another world.

It's different technologically, though. Things have changed quite rapidly over the last 30 years in that arena. I know that in 1997 I would've been completely floored by the idea of being able to watch a movie on a cell phone back then. Like, that would've been something out of The Jetsons. Even the idea of being able to stream video on-demand and watch any movie I want to without having to go to Blockbuster would've been amazing back then.

Oh yeah, of course technology has changed a lot since 1987.

I wasn't talking about tech though because every decade brings new technology. I was strictly talking about politics, culture, etc. Example, commercial airlines have stayed virtually the same since 1967.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/27/17 at 9:22 pm

A lot of commercials before 2008 weren't really all about memes, electronic music, nor a disgusting amount of colors. They were full of creativity that drawn people into getting the product that the company advertised with. Especially towards kids, since most of them were really wacky and intelligent. They actually understood kids and didn't have to put cringeworthy trends to get their attention.

Written By: nally on 06/04/17 at 9:46 pm

A lot of commercials before 2008 weren't really all about memes, electronic music, nor a disgusting amount of colors. They were full of creativity that drawn people into getting the product that the company advertised with. Especially towards kids, since most of them were really wacky and intelligent. They actually understood kids and didn't have to put cringeworthy trends to get their attention.

Good point.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/05/17 at 5:17 am

Honest question, why else do you feel a bit apprehensive with the early 2000's being lumped into the 'classic' category? Was it a cultural impact that made the years 2000 and onward more different than 1999 & before.

I think it was. I honestly can't put my finger on it, but none of the 21st Century years have had the same "classic" or strong cultural identity as the years prior to the year 2000. Maybe it's just the fact that I was born in 1999, but from what I have observed from analysing popular culture and society throughout the past several decades, society seems to have become more shallower and consumer driven since the turn of the century. It's like we're not all connected anymore, even though we're more connected than ever. Quantity has replaced quality and that's reflected by the gradual decline in popular culture over time.

I wish I knew how to put it into words, but I think there definitely is a difference in society between the Mid-Late 20th Century years and the years since the turn of the century. Obviously aspects of society has evolved over time, such as advancements in technology and different viewpoints over ethical issues, but the general mindset and vibe of society appears to have changed as well. That may be why people seem to perceive the 60s-90s as being "classic", yet the 2000s are not held in the same regard. My Dad summed it up nicely a few weeks ago. "It's like the 2000s years are all blended together".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 6:35 am

I think it was. I honestly can't put my finger on it, but none of the 21st Century years have had the same "classic" or strong cultural identity as the years prior to the year 2000. Maybe it's just the fact that I was born in 1999, but from what I have observed from analysing popular culture and society throughout the past several decades, society seems to have become more shallower and consumer driven since the turn of the century. It's like we're not all connected anymore, even though we're more connected than ever. Quantity has replaced quality and that's reflected by the gradual decline in popular culture over time.

I wish I knew how to put it into words, but I think there definitely is a difference in society between the Mid-Late 20th Century years and the years since the turn of the century. Obviously aspects of society has evolved over time, such as advancements in technology and different viewpoints over ethical issues, but the general mindset and vibe of society appears to have changed as well. That may be why people seem to perceive the 60s-90s as being "classic", yet the 2000s are not held in the same regard. My Dad summed it up nicely a few weeks ago. "It's like the 2000s years are all blended together".

You know what.....I agree with you (and your Dad).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/05/17 at 9:03 am

Yeah, I do get what you're saying, and I agree with it for the most part. Especially when you look at the last ten years or so, it's all just one big era that's hard to distinguish to me.

On the other hand, I do think we're just now starting to get to a point where the early '00s are starting to develop their own distinct feel when compared to basically everything after 2005. Just the other day I was watching some old commercials from 2002, and they just had a certain vibe to them that I immediately thought to myself, yeah, that's the early '00s. To me, the music of that era, and particularly the technology of that era with huge cell phones, people using dial-up to go online, blocky looking 6th gen video game graphics, and a lack of key Web 2.0 websites like YouTube and Facebook seem to be giving that era a unique feel these days.

Written By: aja675 on 06/05/17 at 10:19 am

I think this is one of the earliest commercials I remember:
m37SdrkRMQ4

BTW, I think New Zealand looks so scenic in this commercial.

rwI-kH2CeN0

I might remember this, but there's a chance I don't.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, I do get what you're saying, and I agree with it for the most part. Especially when you look at the last ten years or so, it's all just one big era that's hard to distinguish to me.

On the other hand, I do think we're just now starting to get to a point where the early '00s are starting to develop their own distinct feel when compared to basically everything after 2005. Just the other day I was watching some old commercials from 2002, and they just had a certain vibe to them that I immediately thought to myself, yeah, that's the early '00s. To me, the music of that era, and particularly the technology of that era with huge cell phones, people using dial-up to go online, blocky looking 6th gen video game graphics, and a lack of key Web 2.0 websites like YouTube and Facebook seem to be giving that era a unique feel these days.

Yeah, I agree with that point as well.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/05/17 at 8:58 pm

On the other hand, I do think we're just now starting to get to a point where the early '00s are starting to develop their own distinct feel when compared to basically everything after 2005.

Correction: everything after mid 2006. 8) We can't forget the portions of 2006 before the ate-Lay othousandsix-tway ift-shay occurred.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/17 at 10:31 pm

The 1990's slowly slip away and I start feeling my age. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/05/17 at 10:56 pm

Correction: everything after mid 2006. 8) We can't forget the portions of 2006 before the ate-Lay othousandsix-tway ift-shay occurred.

Again with the Late 2006. Seriously, if I had a dollar for every single time you mentioned or referred to the words "Late 2006", I would be a millionaire by now. :P

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/05/17 at 11:22 pm

Late 2006 has been a running gag now though, along with Starship and nu-males.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/06/17 at 2:46 pm

Wow, even political ads from the '90s feel old as hell these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlqqd4Xdqk

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/06/17 at 2:57 pm

Late 2006 has been a running gag now though, along with Starship and nu-males.

Even though you eventually started it and nobody else used it, aside as jokes from JordanK1982 or Infinity.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/06/17 at 3:19 pm

Even though you eventually started it and nobody else used it, aside as jokes from JordanK1982 or Infinity.

No the2001 started it

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/06/17 at 3:49 pm

No the2001 started it

Oh. No wonder why it seems extremely questionable.

Written By: 2001 on 06/06/17 at 5:05 pm

Oh. No wonder why it seems extremely questionable.

;D

Wow, even political ads from the '90s feel old as hell these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlqqd4Xdqk

They're all the same.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/06/17 at 6:57 pm

They're all the same.

WDYM? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/07/17 at 2:23 am

Check out this 1995 commercial advertising Apple Macintosh computers. Times have definitely changed!  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYsYla7oKU

Written By: Howard on 06/07/17 at 7:20 am

Check out this 1995 commercial advertising Apple Macintosh computers. Times have definitely changed!  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYsYla7oKU

Wow, it was close to $3,000 at that time.  :o

Written By: nally on 06/07/17 at 12:53 pm

They certainly have! I remember when Mac computers were "in" during that part of the 90's!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/07/17 at 12:54 pm

More classic 90's commercials from the core 90's years of 1993-1998:

EgSjzVD3m7YYTWdmWJHUn0
SgPzgfpJG-Q-ful9HTfWG4
xrZvMFNsEf0WNB6tvT403c

Crazy how old these commercials feel :o

Written By: nally on 06/07/17 at 12:58 pm

A montage of kid-oriented ads from the year 1990:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py08dctKZs0

Many (if not all) of those featured products are now VERY dated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 10:40 pm

Hell yeah, '90s commercials are old! I have been watching some for the past few years, and I can't believe how much of the things in those ads are outdated. I mean, seeing the SNES and the N64 as retro feels weird I remember them when they were the current consoles.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 10/07/17 at 3:04 pm

More classic 90's commercials from the core 90's years of 1993-1998:

EgSjzVD3m7YYTWdmWJHUn0
SgPzgfpJG-Q-ful9HTfWG4
xrZvMFNsEf0WNB6tvT403c

Crazy how old these commercials feel :o

The Mentos jingle never gets old. I still know every word. Now that's effective advertising.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/07/17 at 3:08 pm

Yeah it's weird because I remember when the '90s seemed "modern" at the time, now you look back and it is shocking how old it looks. That's kinda how things are though, like you gradually get used to all the changes that build up little by little over the years, and then when you look back and rewind to 20 years ago it seems shockingly old.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/17 at 3:49 pm

The Mentos jingle never gets old. I still know every word. Now that's effective advertising.

Mentos, The fresh maker.  ;D

Written By: nally on 10/07/17 at 4:47 pm

Yeah it's weird because I remember when the '90s seemed "modern" at the time, now you look back and it is shocking how old it looks. That's kinda how things are though, like you gradually get used to all the changes that build up little by little over the years, and then when you look back and rewind to 20 years ago it seems shockingly old.

So true.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/12/17 at 11:07 pm

Also, Taco Bell (The Council for Eating Fried Chicken the Same Way You Always Have ;D) with a 1950s and early 1960s vibe:

qSSGqHH2u-8
This is from 2017^

This definitely has that "golden age of television" late '50s/early '60s vibe.  It's also modern, which is interesting.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/12/17 at 11:10 pm

This definitely has that "golden age of television" late '50s/early '60s vibe.  It's also modern, which is interesting.

Yep, I definitely agree.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 8:27 pm

Does anyone remember those 2 Rice Krispies Treats commercials - I want to say from 1996 - where the kids got these poorly done claymation faces and they screamed "I want one!" to scare the others into giving them one? They terrified me as a 7 year old. I knew when their faces morphed and always hid at that moment! One of the faces looked like Ickis from Aaaah Real Monsters!, which I loved as a kid. I'd rather see Ickis and Oblina do it than these cruddy clay counterparts!

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 05/05/18 at 1:26 pm

Does anyone remember those 2 Rice Krispies Treats commercials - I want to say from 1996 - where the kids got these poorly done claymation faces and they screamed "I want one!" to scare the others into giving them one? They terrified me as a 7 year old. I knew when their faces morphed and always hid at that moment! One of the faces looked like Ickis from Aaaah Real Monsters!, which I loved as a kid. I'd rather see Ickis and Oblina do it than these cruddy clay counterparts!

yeah those were weird; I was what 6 when they aired. it did look like Ickis hahaha real monsters was cool bitd.

Written By: annimal on 05/07/18 at 10:28 am

Wario use to be my favorate Nintendo character.  Now I don't remember him outside of saying Wa

Written By: Wobo on 05/07/18 at 10:41 pm

Yeah they are extremely different than today, i usually look at 90s commercials from time to time.

Written By: ofkx on 05/10/18 at 2:10 am

It's almost as if they were 28-19 years ago or something.

Check for new replies or respond here...