inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What School Was Like During the Mid '90s

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/17 at 1:04 pm

What a classic video I came across on YouTube. This kid's first day of school back during the fall of 1993. So much nostalgia here. This kid's school actually looked a lot like mine back then.

Also, for bonus points, check out the beginning of the video where the kid's playing his NES on an ancient looking dial-tuned TV set. Damn, the '90s are getting old folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlMc0vMidQ

Subject: Re: What School Was Like During the Mid '90s

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/24/17 at 5:00 pm

"Totally" and "radical" were still around, but "fresh" and "phat," and even "phresh" (as a joke among my friends, at least) were ascendant. The presence of "fresh" was likely influenced by the Fresh Prince.

Judging by this video, people acted like Bill and Ted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZXaljfzHhA&t=1s

But actually they didn't so much. Beavis and Butthead were probably bigger in 1993 than Bill and Ted.

The more innocent, adult-led vibe of the early 90s was gone. See this 1991 Nintendo customer service employee training video below for an example of the dominant early 90s attitude, and compare it to the teen culture attitude that took off around 1993 shown in the video above (irreverent teen culture was budding since the grunge breakthrough of 1992).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

Basically, I think that by 1993 the effects of shows like Roseanne, The Simpsons, and Married with Children, along with the effects of grunge culture, had shifted the whole tone of the U.S. I enjoyed the 90s a lot, and am a fan of grunge and of all those shows, but frankly I often miss the innocence of the 80s and early 90s more than the often shallow, in your face attitude that came of age around 1993. It was likely necessary, though, due to changes in society. A lot of it was probably a reaction to the conservatism of the Reagan years that was followed by the stodginess of the Bush Sr. years. Also, it was a replacement of Boomer dominance in popular culture by Gen X'ers, which really didn't last long. But I wouldn't at all say that this liberalization of culture in the mid 90s was really culturally liberal or economically left, since the Clinton years really just gave an appearance of liberality while continuing the get tough on crime, say no to drugs rhetoric etc., and even the pro-corporate economic policies, of the Reagan and Bush years.

So people lightened up about dress and speech and manner, given the building frustration of the previous years, but this was more of a Pyrrhic democratization. That "extreme"-ness was, I think, a papering over of bigger issues, a kind of safe outlet for angst and anger that was shut off quickly in the later 90s and especially in the 2000s anyway.

In school, it was cool to be bad and act pretty bratty. Movies and shows seemed to shift, around the mid 90s, from East- and Midwest-centric settings, like New York and Chigaco, to sunny California settings, and surfing was popular to think about, even if you didn't live near the ocean. This was part of the Sunbelt's and the West Coast's breakthrough after a few decades of people migrating there from other parts of the U.S. Skateboarding was popular, too.

Pushing boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries, and being edgy for the sake of being edgy, was really coming into style.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/24/17 at 5:19 pm

What a classic video I came across on YouTube. This kid's first day of school back during the fall of 1993. So much nostalgia here. This kid's school actually looked a lot like mine back then.

Also, for bonus points, check out the beginning of the video where the kid's playing his NES on an ancient looking dial-tuned TV set. Damn, the '90s are getting old folks.

Dial-tuned TV sets were not uncommon until the mid 90s, like 1994 or 1995. There was less tech fetishism back then, though it was getting underway in the mid to late 90s. Also, having one TV in the household, in the living room, was pretty normal, since watching TV was generally a family thing. It might have been the rise of video games that made a TV in each bedroom commonplace by the late 90s. And of course, in the mid to late 90s, sleeker black or gray TVs were the norm, whereas a few years earlier wood-colored TVs had still been common.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/25/17 at 11:43 pm

Dial-tuned TV's were on the way out from the early 80's to mid 90's.

When I was growing up as a kid in the 80's, we had a TV similar to this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/0d/fa/2d0dfa00c42a167b2a6fc45b16a75890.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 06/25/17 at 11:47 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/0d/fa/2d0dfa00c42a167b2a6fc45b16a75890.jpg

Yup, we had that type of TV all the way up until 1997. So many memories.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/25/17 at 11:54 pm

We would actually sing a patriotic song in the morning, from Kindergarten to 2nd grade. So we stopped singing these songs by 1997. We used cards and 'snap numbers' to punch in, to get free school lunches. Then by about late 2nd grade, or early 3rd grade, we used these machines to punch our numbers in, instead of having the lunch ladies do it, by looking at our snap number cards.

We had this annual summer fest, for our school. You could buy tickets and ride this train, in the back of our school. Then by 1998, there were budget cuts, or whatever, and the train no longer existed. But the summer fest continued.

Up until around late 1997, we no longer had to write in our library cards, in the back of the book, but could just scan our library cards. It was a lot faster!

Computers were primitive looking up until late 1997. Then the internet became prominent in 1997/1998.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/17 at 6:57 am

What TV is that? ???

Written By: violet_shy on 06/26/17 at 12:31 pm

What TV is that? ???

I think it is a Sony, Howard.

I can't see the video :-[ does anyone have the Youtube link, please?

Anyway, that Fall in 1993 I started 8th grade at Oliver Hazard Perry Middle School/or Jr high school.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/26/17 at 12:35 pm

I remember having those TVs too! I think my family had them until either 2000 or 2001.

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 8:51 pm

We had one up to, I think, 2002 or 2003. It was in my grandma's room (she lived with us). Of course, I almost never used it, except to play my NES/Atari in the '90s like that kid. ;D

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 10:01 pm

My neighbor had that same model of TV LOL
School in the 1990s was pretty much the same as it was before and today. School lunches, fire drills, library cards, DARE, we had an assembly about child molestation (:O) and I was in the school play of Snow White once. I was Snow White. Funny because I'm African-American  :P
Holy carp snap numbers. The lunch ladies did it for us.

Check for new replies or respond here...