inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Digimon Era

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 5:16 pm

This is in response to the Yu Gi Oh topic that was created. I have noticed that Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are the most discussed when it comes to "IT" anime, but not this forgotten gem.

Share your memories that you have of Digimon. I watched the anime when it was on until it disappeared from the lineup on Fox Kids. On top of that, I even had a few of the toys.

Oh, and bonus if you remember the battle between Pokemon vs Digimon before Pokemon vs Yu Gi Oh.

Subject: Re: Digimon Era

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/17 at 12:38 pm

I never really bought any Digimon merchandise, nor did I watch the show at all, but I do remember it being mentioned a lot around the year 2000, when Pokémania was still in full bloom. The main thing that distinguished the show was that unlike the monolexic Pokémon, Digimon could actually speak English like humans. That should have meant they were cooler than Pokémon, but for some reason they so weren't, in my opinion.

A lot like Yu-Gi-Oh!, I cannot believe that the Digimon franchise is still technically active. I guess the Japanese are just much better at nurturing their media's fanbases than Americans are, hence why you're always getting new movies, new shows, and new games based on franchises whose respective heydays were several years, even decades ago.

Written By: 2001 on 07/23/17 at 2:08 pm

This was the sh*t back in the day! In Canada, Digimon came on at 5PM and Pokémon at 5:30PM on the same channel, so they were both about as popular as each other. If you went outside at 5, good luck finding anyone to play with haha. The playground was abandoned! I liked Pokémon more since I liked the cutesy stuff, while Digimon tried too hard to be "cool", but I love both of them!

The Digivice is one of the toys I played most. It's a Tamagochi like device, you shake it, or you run around with it tied to your belt, and your Digimon grows and levels up. There was an accompanying CD game that you put your Digimon into and fight boss battles and stuff. Unfortunately, my own CD never really work (probably because I needed Windows XP to play it, and this was when I stilk had Windows 98), so I didn't really get to play the CD much. But the Digivice itself was enough to get me hooked.  :D

There was also that PS1 game that was addictive. I'd be at my friend's house day and night playing that game. I was so addicted to it, my friend was actually happy when the CD got scratched and it didn't work anymore, even though it was his own game ;D

It was popular 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, then it went dormant for a bit compared to Pokémon. Once Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire got started, Digimon made a comeback with the Digivice toy in 2002-03, and it was more popular than Pokémon from 2002 to 2004, from what I remember, at least the merchandise. By the end of 2004 it was dead. Unlike Yugioh and Pokémon, I never really heard from it again except for nostalgia.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/23/17 at 3:11 pm

I was all about this theme as far as Digimon.

Xt8EtZSDnB8

I liked Veemon and Blackwargreymon. That's about it. The talking Digimon aspect of it was interesting but instantly got tedious the more of them speaking. That's what I liked about Pokémon.

I got into Digimon Tamers that suddenly.. I don't know. It just disappeared from my life. That's the last time I watched Digimon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 10:58 pm

I never really bought any Digimon merchandise, nor did I watch the show at all, but I do remember it being mentioned a lot around the year 2000 when Pokémania was still in full bloom. The main thing that distinguished the show was that unlike the monolexic Pokémon, Digimon could actually speak English like humans. That should have meant they were cooler than Pokémon, but for some reason, they so weren't, in my opinion.

A lot like Yu-Gi-Oh!, I cannot believe that the Digimon franchise is still technically active. I guess the Japanese are just much better at nurturing their media's fanbases than Americans are, hence why you're always getting new movies, new shows, and new games based on franchises whose respective heydays were several years, even decades ago.
Yeah, I remember hearing them talk to their owners, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. It became somewhat popular again with Digimon Fusion although there no toys for that show from what I remember. Honestly, though, I forgot about the anime until one of my cousins watched it a few years ago.

This was the sh*t back in the day! In Canada, Digimon came on at 5 PM and Pokémon at 5:30 PM on the same channel, so they were both about as popular as each other. If you went outside at 5, good luck finding anyone to play with haha. The playground was abandoned! I liked Pokémon more since I liked the cutesy stuff, while Digimon tried too hard to be "cool", but I love both of them!

The Digivice is one of the toys I played most. It's a Tamagotchi like device, you shake it, or you run around with it tied to your belt, and your Digimon grows and levels up. There was an accompanying CD game that you put your Digimon into and fight boss battles and stuff. Unfortunately, my own CD never really work (probably because I needed Windows XP to play it, and this was when I still had Windows 98), so I didn't really get to play the CD much. But the Digivice itself was enough to get me hooked.  :D

There was also that PS1 game that was addictive. I'd be at my friend's house day and night playing that game. I was so addicted to it, my friend was actually happy when the CD got scratched and it didn't work anymore, even though it was his own game ;D

It was popular 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, then it went dormant for a bit compared to Pokémon. Once Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire got started, Digimon made a comeback with the Digivice toy in 2002-03, and it was more popular than Pokémon from 2002 to 2004, from what I remember, at least the merchandise. By the end of 2004, it was dead. Unlike Yugioh and Pokémon, I never really heard from it again except for nostalgia.
Damn, Digimon must have lasted longer in Canada than here. That fad was gone after the 2000-2001 year and Yu-Gi-Oh would take its place a little later.

I was all about this theme as far as Digimon.

Xt8EtZSDnB8

I liked Veemon and Blackwargreymon. That's about it. The talking Digimon aspect of it was interesting but instantly got tedious the more of them speaking. That's what I liked about Pokémon.

I got into Digimon Tamers that suddenly... I don't know. It just disappeared from my life. That's the last time I watched Digimon.
Hell yeah! That theme was the bomb! :D. I would listen to it everytime it was played.

It sounds like Digimon Tamers came later which I don't remember watching since the fad was instantly gone after the 2000-2001 year.

Check for new replies or respond here...