inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is the best decade since the 1920s

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/26/17 at 5:56 pm

Cartoons,music,economy,pop culture,TV was booming its awesome.

Subject: Re: This is the best decade since the 1920s

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/26/17 at 6:25 pm

I don't know if you should compare the 90s to the 1920s. I could get why both decades were thrilling, but the 20s were really awful if you didn't have lots of money and had no diseases in you.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/27/17 at 4:56 pm

I feel the 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest decades! :)

Not sure about the 1920s, I wasn't living back then so I can't say. :-\\

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/17 at 5:17 pm

The 1960s and 1970s were fun too! ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/28/17 at 1:15 am

The 80's came before the 90s's. ;)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/28/17 at 1:45 am

2000s and 2010s are the greatest decades Imo! 80's looked great too and 90's kinda aswell. :P

Written By: temaichi on 08/28/17 at 11:41 am

Cartoons,music,economy,pop culture,TV was booming its awesome.

What in the world...Dude how old are you?
1920s? How can you compare it when you didn`t even live around that time?? :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 11:44 am

What in the world...Dude how old are you?
1920s? How can you compare it when you didn`t even live around that time?? :P

Same way that I compare most of the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, etc. Through images, movies, TV shows, music, retrospective look at the politics of the time.

Make no mistake, I wouldn't want to have lived in the 1920s but people can look back at a decade they didn't experience fondly.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/28/17 at 11:58 am

Same way that I compare most of the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, etc. Through images, movies, TV shows, music, retrospective look at the politics of the time.

I do this with earlier decades as well. Even though I said I didn't live through the 1920s, and would have had to so that then I could compare. I completely forgot that!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 12:21 pm

I do this with earlier decades as well. Even though I said I didn't live through the 1920s, and would have had to so that then I could compare. I completely forgot that!

That's OK, lol ;D.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/28/17 at 1:38 pm

I thought the 1920s were supposed to be a really good decade? Why does everyone seem to hate it then?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 1:45 pm

I thought the 1920s were supposed to be a really good decade? Why does everyone seem to hate it then?

1. Lack of modern tech.
2. Proliferation of diseases and illnesses that have since been eradicted by vaccination and modern medicine.
3. Violent racism and Jim Crow segregation (in the U.S.).
4. TVs didn't exist for most of the 1920s and TV shows didn't show up until the 1930s and didn't become widely common until the 1950s.
5. The Great Recession (in the U.S.) started in 1929.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/28/17 at 3:32 pm

1. Lack of modern tech.
2. Proliferation of diseases and illnesses that have since been eradicted by vaccination and modern medicine.
4. TVs didn't exist for most of the 1920s and TV shows didn't show up until the 1930s and didn't become widely common until the 1950s.

Remember, to appreciate a decade you need to understand what came before it. Part of the reason why the decade is nicknamed the "Roaring" Twenties is due to a lot of technological developments that became affordable to the less-than super rich, including automobiles, electricity, washing machines, phonographs, radios, telephones (not just a party line), along with continued advances such as the dawn of transatlantic aviation and the birth of the commercial aviation industry, and the first sound films. In contrast, the beginning of the 20th century didn't have any of that or was for the plutocracy. Although there was of course segregation, women's rights took a big step forward that decade thanks to suffrage and more businesses willing to hire those who wanted to work. Yes, TV didn't exist, but the birth of broadcasting in 1920 thanks to radio was that generation's Internet. Suddenly, the media operated in a nearly continual basis, even if the full TV experience was only in its alpha testing stages. Sure, the life expectancy was lower back then, but science was progressing nicely. The crash was just a classic bubble that burst, and although many people had some economic adjustments , it wasn't much different than the 1970s since there wasn't stagflation during the great depression, and income equality actually improved.

Someday when we've passed away, I'm sure others will complain how there were things in 1990s such as no vaccine for AIDS, no smartphones/social media meaning that instant gratification was absent, non-straight rights were still intolerant in most places, and a the boom led to a dot.com bubble just after the turn of the new millennium.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 5:07 pm

Remember, to appreciate a decade you need to understand what came before it. Part of the reason why the decade is nicknamed the "Roaring" Twenties is due to a lot of technological developments that became affordable to the less-than super rich, including automobiles, electricity, washing machines, phonographs, radios, telephones (not just a party line), along with continued advances such as the dawn of transatlantic aviation and the birth of the commercial aviation industry, and the first sound films. In contrast, the beginning of the 20th century didn't have any of that or was for the plutocracy. Although there was of course segregation, women's rights took a big step forward that decade thanks to suffrage and more businesses willing to hire those who wanted to work. Yes, TV didn't exist, but the birth of broadcasting in 1920 thanks to radio was that generation's Internet. Suddenly, the media operated in a nearly continual basis, even if the full TV experience was only in its alpha testing stages. Sure, the life expectancy was lower back then, but science was progressing nicely. The crash was just a classic bubble that burst, and although many people had some economic adjustments , it wasn't much different than the 1970s since there wasn't stagflation during the great depression, and income equality actually improved.

Um, yes the basis of your statement is true but the technological advancements of the 1920s were not as groundbreaking as the technological advancements of future decades. The technology of the 1920s was still very "antiquated".

Someday when we've passed away, I'm sure others will complain how there were things in 1990s such as no vaccine for AIDS, no smartphones/social media meaning that instant gratification was absent, non-straight rights were still intolerant in most places, and a the boom led to a dot.com bubble just after the turn of the new millennium.

Some people ALREADY feel that way about the '90s. There will always be people who dislike a decade for certain reasons but are you really comparing the 1990s to the 1920s? ;D

Written By: exodus08 on 08/28/17 at 5:57 pm

I feel the 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest decades! :)

Not sure about the 1920s, I wasn't living back then so I can't say. :-\\

For me the best decades are the 1990s and 2000s

Written By: 2001 on 08/28/17 at 6:53 pm

The 1920s (and 1930s-1960s) are what got me into "decadeology". I've read many books from/set in that decade, including everything by Ernst Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Such a fascinating and exciting time :D

Written By: d90 on 08/28/17 at 11:48 pm

1. Lack of modern tech.

The Jim Crow laws were unfortunately there for decades before the 1920s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 12:24 am

The Jim Crow laws were unfortunately there for decades before the 1920s.

I know that. It doesn't make what I said wrong.

Written By: d90 on 08/29/17 at 12:36 am

I know that. It doesn't make what I said wrong.

I wasn't stating that your opinion is wrong.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 1:00 am

I wasn't stating that your opinion is wrong.

OK.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/17 at 2:15 pm

Wasn't it The Great Depression era? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 2:40 pm

Wasn't it The Great Depression era? ???

That's the 1930s.

Check for new replies or respond here...