inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What If you were an adult in the 1990s?

Written By: d90 on 08/29/17 at 12:52 am

State what your life as an adult in the 90s would be like.
1. Where would you live?
2. What would your career would be?
3. What you would you think of 1990s popculture?

Subject: Re: What If you were an adult in the 1990s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/29/17 at 10:24 am

Let's assume that you're 18 by the time 1990 begins as someone who turned 18 in '99 would have still been young enough to experience some of the childhood things at the start of the '90s (the former posted Marty McFly was among them, so check out his posts). I would probably live where I was now and perhaps have the same career, except that I would have to do the work in an analog style (my office still did a lot of pen & ink until computers arrived late in the decade). I would appreciate a higher tech-free lifestyle more, and would probably try to ask out one of the Saved By The Bell, 90210, Melrose Place, or original Power Rangers chicks. Unfortunately, I would likely be in the firm "the '90s suck" since I would have loved the fun mid-late '80s dance pop and synth bands along with the John Hughes movies as a middle and high schooler and found that the new culture was just too dark and that the sudden coolness of being "politically correct" wouldn't do it for me. I would be recording more shows on VHS since I thought that the '90s were the last great decade for TV and be enjoying myself at the mall and at festivals better. By the time 2017 arrived, I would be well into middle age and understand that the past was where it was at, and be more religious than I would be now and have a greater focus on being secure.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/29/17 at 11:52 am

(the former posted Marty McFly was among them, so check out his posts).

Marty McFly? How did you know about him? He hasn't been on the forum for years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 2:54 pm

I would appreciate a higher tech-free lifestyle more, and would probably try to ask out one of the Saved By The Bell, 90210, Melrose Place, or original Power Rangers chicks.

I am in TOTAL & ABSOLUTE agreement with this statement :D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 2:59 pm

I have said this before on other threads in the past but I'll say it again...I often wish that I was born in 1970-1972.

Being a young adult in the '90s would have been great, IMO. I would want to have a job in the finance or IT field (same wish that I have now). I would have loved to have been in college during the early '90s and I would have been FULLY in tune with the Gen X vibes of most of the '90s. I would have gone to so many clubs and parties in the '90s. I would have loved the movies, TV shows, cartoons (adults watch cartoons and a lot of ;90s cartoons were awesome) and MUSIC. Oh how much, I wish this happened.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/17 at 3:07 pm

Honestly, I wasn't that far from being an adult during the '90s. 2005 was when I turned 18, so I only missed it by about 6 years. Because of that, my early adult life would not have been very much different at all, at least compared to 1999.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 3:16 pm

Honestly, I wasn't that far from being an adult during the '90s. 2005 was when I turned 18, so I only missed it by about 6 years. Because of that, my early adult life would not have been very much different at all, at least compared to 1999.

The world was mostly different in 2005 from 1999.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/17 at 3:25 pm

The world was mostly different in 2005 from 1999.

But my early adult life wouldn't have been much different, though. All of the things I had as a 2005 adult. like a dial-up connection and an SDTV, I would've had as a 1999 adult, with the only differences being a DVD player and a slightly better cell phone. Also, the economy was still doing quite well around here by 2005, perhaps not quite as well as the Y2K boom, but not too far off either, so I still didn't have to wait as long to find a job as somebody who turned 18 around, say, 2009 would have.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/29/17 at 3:28 pm

I became an adult in 1998 when I turned 18.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/29/17 at 3:29 pm

(the former posted Marty McFly was among them, so check out his posts).

Marty McFly? How did you know about him? He hasn't been on the forum for years.
He was actually here a few years ago under another name, but he hasn't been back since. However, he has a youtube account for you guys to check him out.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 3:37 pm

But my early adult life wouldn't have been much different, though. All of the things I had as a 2005 adult. like a dial-up connection and an SDTV, I would've had as a 1999 adult, with the only differences being a DVD player and a slightly better cell phone. Also, the economy was still doing quite well around here by 2005, perhaps not quite as well as the Y2K boom, but not too far off either, so I still didn't have to wait as long to find a job as somebody who turned 18 around, say, 2009 would have.

Fair enough.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/29/17 at 3:50 pm

I would still live in my home city and state. My career would be what I'm doing now, and I would have enjoyed 90s pop culture compared to today. For one, I would have played all the game consoles from that time frame as I would have money to buy them, and there were lots and lots of variety aside from the platformers. Music would have been the bomb. Grunge, Hip-hop, R&B, House Music, Adult contemporary and so many others to listen to. It couldn't get any better than that. I understand some people have stated that the 90s atmosphere was all cynical, but I would have ignored it and continued to have fun with friends, family, and others.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 3:58 pm

I would still live in my home city and state. My career would be what I'm doing now, and I would have enjoyed 90s pop culture compared to today. For one, I would have played all the game consoles from that time frame as I would have money to buy them, and there were lots and lots of variety aside from the platformers. Music would have been the bomb. Grunge, Hip-hop, R&B, House Music, Adult contemporary and so many others to listen to. It couldn't get any better than that. I understand some people have stated that the 90s atmosphere was all cynical, but I would have ignored it and continued to have fun with friends, family, and others.

I totally agree bro! 8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/29/17 at 7:12 pm

Well - I turned 30 in early 1990.  I suppose that qualifies as an adult!    ;)

I actually lived where I currently live (Chicagoland) and worked where I currently work (a big company).  I was single when the decade started but not when the decade ended.

I admit I wasn't as keen on 90's pop culture compared to 80's and 70's pop culture...

Overall it was a really fun decade of my life...  :)

Written By: d90 on 08/29/17 at 7:41 pm

Well - I turned 30 in early 1990.  I suppose that qualifies as an adult!    ;)

I actually lived where I currently live (Chicagoland) and worked where I currently work (a big company).  I was single when the decade started but not when the decade ended.

I admit I wasn't as keen on 90's pop culture compared to 80's and 70's pop culture...

Overall it was a really fun decade of my life...  :)

So you were born in 1960

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/29/17 at 7:42 pm

So you were born in 1960

Indeed I was...

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/29/17 at 11:14 pm

He was actually here a few years ago under another name, but he hasn't been back since. However, he has a youtube account for you guys to check him out.

Really? Cool, what name, and what YouTube channel?

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/17 at 11:52 pm

That's impossible because it's exactly because of a major '90s event that my parents met. ;D

But playing along...  I'm not sure if I'd be living in Canada at the beginning of the decade. My dad moved here in the late 1980s and my mom in 1992, and I'd probably move roughly around the same time. Actually, the house I'm living in right now was built in 2002, so I definitely would not be living exactly here. I'd probably live in my hometown of Hamilton, like my parents chose. As for job, I didn't really become obsessed with programming and automation until I learnt how to get nerdy and tinker with my smartphone, so it would be interesting to know what the '90s analogue to that would be. I'd probably just study and finish my Physics degree and become a nuclear scientist like I once aspired to, without going into computer science. As for pop culture, '90s video games are my life, and I love the rock music (alternative mostly, grunge less so), and the movies back then were great!

The early '90s (1990-1995) were an awful time in Canada though, so it's best to be younger during that part lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/30/17 at 12:15 am

Really? Cool, what name, and what YouTube channel?
BayAreaNostalgist1981 for here and JPMcFly1985Two for youtube. He's actually active on YouTube considering he's made some videos with commentary.

Check for new replies or respond here...