inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was going on in the world and what were all of you doing in September 1997?

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/15/17 at 2:04 pm

I was born on the 16th of September 1997, so that would make me 20 years old tomorrow, and since September 1997 was 20 years ago now, I'm curious to know what was going on in the world from people's perspectives who have memories of that time. Anything from personal stories, and recounts of what the media, trends and hits were. I think it'd be an interesting discussion to know what was happening when I was just born!  ;D

Subject: Re: What was going on in the world and what were all of you doing in September 1997?

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/17 at 2:09 pm

You and I have the same birthday! You were born on my 17th birthday in 1997. :)

Subject: Re: What was going on in the world and what were all of you doing in September 1997?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/17 at 2:19 pm

I was obsessed with The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I had not touched my first internet yet until roughly December of that year.

I just remember taking spelling tests every Friday in 3rd grade, and I watched Pinky and the Brain every morning before going to school at 8:30.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/17 at 2:32 pm

In Sept '97 I was listening to Wild Orchid.

Wild Orchid - Talk to me(1997)
uDJD7i2va5s

As I said, I had turned 17. I remember on of my oldest cousins passed away from cancer that week in the month/year and I spent my birthday at his memorial/wake. :\'(  I would watch VH1 when they still played music videos. I would shop for music at Strawberries(cassettes and CDs). Mainly singles...it was so much fun! Strawberries was a music and movies store. There was also Coconuts and Sam Goody for music and movies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 2:59 pm

I was a year away from being conceived and a little under 2 years from being born.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/15/17 at 4:22 pm

I don't remember exactly what I was doing - work stuff, church stuff, as usual - but I was engaged to be married, so I was most certainly preparing for the wedding.  I think I may have bought my wedding dress right around then  :)

Written By: exodus08 on 09/15/17 at 5:20 pm

I was 7 but don't remember what I was doing.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/15/17 at 8:55 pm

I was nothing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 8:58 pm

I was nothing.

Same :(.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/17 at 11:00 pm

I was at my brother's birthday party, crying to my dad about something. I actually remember this moment in early September 1997. This was one of my first memories actually. So that's interesting this topic came up.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 11:15 pm

I was at my brother's birthday party, crying to my dad about something. I actually remember this moment in early September 1997. This was one of my first memories actually. So that's interesting this topic came up.  :P

That's awesome.

I have some very early memories from 2001 :P.

Written By: 2001 on 09/16/17 at 12:35 am

Oh, I was still a big baby then at 4 years old. I was a very hyper kid.

Mostly, I drove my parents insane because I liked to climb everything (closets, shelves, door frames, etc.) and wanted to go to the park/playground all the time. I threw my mom's purse out the window once because she wouldn't take me outside. She went berserk.  ;D

September '97 specifically though... I must have started Senior Kindergarten then. I had a teacher whose name was literally Macarena, the dance craze which was still fresh in everyone's head. When I told people her name, they would start dancing the Macarena, and I would get angry because I thought they were making fun of my teacher, and I'd start throwing fists.  >:(

I also probably met my first lifelong friend that month. Wow, to think we've been friends for 20 years now. :D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/16/17 at 2:36 am

September 1997 was nine months before I was conceived, so I didn't exist at the time. :P

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 09/16/17 at 4:08 am

I was playing Final Fantasy 7, which was released in early September 1997. Also I was getting into the top 20 countdown on MTV and remember this period because a bunch of new music that I liked was becoming popular, like Matchbox 20, Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, Chumbawumba, Sarah McLachlan etc. September 1997 was like the beginning of a new phase of my life.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/16/17 at 9:26 am

By September 1997 I had just started 5th grade. I was still listening to music on cassette tapes, and hadn't gone online. I was coveting a PlayStation, but still having to play my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. I was watching Atlanta Braves games every afternoon on TBS. Nickelodeon was still the top kids network. Pogs were losing steam, as were Power Rangers. Fox Kids was what every kid watched after school. We would go to Blockbuster and rent videos when my cousins came. Being a kid was just totally different back then than today. Most of us still didn't have a computer.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/16/17 at 11:46 am

Interesting! Happy birthday to you birthday twin  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 09/16/17 at 1:01 pm

Interesting! Happy birthday to you birthday twin  ;D

Happy birthday to you as well!! :)

Written By: Howard on 09/16/17 at 2:54 pm

I believe in September 1997 I was volunteering.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/17 at 2:55 pm

I don't remember exactly what I was doing - work stuff, church stuff, as usual - but I was engaged to be married, so I was most certainly preparing for the wedding.  I think I may have bought my wedding dress right around then  :)

So, you've been married for over 20 years? ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/16/17 at 3:16 pm

Don't remember much, I was only a toddler :-\\.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/17/17 at 6:36 pm

So, you've been married for over 20 years? ???

Thanks for asking, Howard!  No, but our 20th anniversary is coming up in just a few months  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/17 at 5:08 am

Thanks for asking, Howard!  No, but our 20th anniversary is coming up in just a few months  :)

BTW, My Parents have been married for close to 50 years.

How will you 2 celebrate? :)

Written By: robby76 on 09/18/17 at 9:34 am

Happy belated birthday! Well by Sept 16th I was just over two weeks into being 21. I remember having an amazing 21st celebration with my friends and (then) partner. I would have also started my 3rd year at University. I started getting into the club scene by then and every weekend was devoted to dancing the night away... fri, sat and even Sunday! It was non-stop. The best of times!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/18/17 at 12:35 pm

Happy belated birthday! Well by Sept 16th I was just over two weeks into being 21. I remember having an amazing 21st celebration with my friends and (then) partner. I would have also started my 3rd year at University. I started getting into the club scene by then and every weekend was devoted to dancing the night away... fri, sat and even Sunday! It was non-stop. The best of times!

Damn sounds a lot like my current college experience ;D. I'm 20 years your junior

Written By: Fearsword on 09/20/17 at 6:52 am

I was born on the 16th of September 1997, so that would make me 20 years old tomorrow, and since September 1997 was 20 years ago now, I'm curious to know what was going on in the world from people's perspectives who have memories of that time. Anything from personal stories, and recounts of what the media, trends and hits were. I think it'd be an interesting discussion to know what was happening when I was just born!  ;D

I share the same birthday as you guys. I was born on September 16, 1995. Happy late birthday.

Written By: karen on 09/20/17 at 11:35 am

I had been married for 5 years.

I finished my MSc and went out to celebrate with others on the course.

We had moved house a couple of months earlier and had just had a new kitchen fitted and we were probably pricing up a new bathroom.

My mum and dad both have September birthdays so I expect we got together for a meal with the rest of my family (two brothers, their wives and children)

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 10:14 pm

I was on a huge Spice Girls kick and playing the hell out of Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast, both on Sega Saturn. My neighbor had NiGHTS too. Every Saturday, we'd watch All That on SNICK and we loved The Angry Beavers too. I remember having a Dag plush.

Check for new replies or respond here...