inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Celebrity Death Was The Most Shocking? (1990-1999)

Written By: Bab2781 on 11/02/17 at 5:04 pm

It had to be River Phoenix...

Subject: Re: Which Celebrity Death Was The Most Shocking? (1990-1999)

Written By: NewMedalz on 11/02/17 at 7:13 pm

I would say Phil Hartman, due to its violent nature and for being so out-of-left-field.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/17 at 7:11 am

Jim Henson

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/17 at 9:09 am

Jill Dando, British television presenter. She was fatally shot outside her home in Fulham, London in 1999. A local man, Barry George, was convicted and imprisoned for the murder but was later acquitted after an appeal and retrial. A Yugoslav terrorist connection was initially dismissed by police, but has since acquired more credence. The case remains open. What made this more shocking for me was I was half a mile away when it happened.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/17 at 4:45 pm

I would have to say Princess Diana.

Cat

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/08/17 at 7:01 am

The 20th anniversary commemorations on Diana's death serves as testimony to the lasting echoes of the death.

Honorable mentions:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Bill Bixby
Audrey Hepburn
Richard Nixon
Mickey Mantle
Dusty Springfield
Mother Teresa
Dino Valenti
Robert Young

That said, outside of Diana, there wasn't a landmark passing like you had with the 1960s (JFK), 1970s (Elvis), 1980s (John Lennon), or 2000s (Michael Jackson). So far in the 2010s, Prince seems to be the most shocking celebrity death, followed by Whitney Houston and George Michael. But there seemingly have been a lot more "moderately shocking" deaths this decade compared to the 1990s, mostly because my generation can relate to more of these, compared to most of the 1990s which my parents and grandparents felt more. The thing was (even among the honorable mentions) is that most of the celebrity deaths were well past their prime (usually between the 1940s-1960s), a higher share of B- and C-listers, or simply old. However, the 1990s had a high proportion of Golden Age Hollywood deaths due to most actors born in the early 20th century, and although the 2010s have had some, there aren't as many simply due to most of that generation responsible for its success (the GI generation and even a few holdouts from the Lost Generation) having passed on by this point.

Still, this is quite a list among those stars that have been twinkling in a galaxy far, far away for quite awhile: In addition to what's been posted, the epitaphs and eulogies of Oliver Reed, Dirk Bogarde, Roddy McDowell, E.G. Marshall, Sylvia Syms, Conway Twitty, Harry Nilsson, Ella Fitzgerald, Shari Lewis, Flip Wilson, Burl Ives, Lloyd Bridges, Daniel Massey, Robert Mitchum, Del Shannon, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Roy Acuff, Pearl Bailey, James "Jimmy" Stewart, Richard Jaeckel, Don Porter, Yuri Nikulin, Greer Garson, Guy Madison, McLean Stevenson, Johnnie Ray, Art Lund, Mary Martin, Sir Robert Stevens, Elisha Cook Jr, Lana Turner, Peter Cushing, Joseph Cotten, Charles Drake, Natalie Hall, Dinah Shore, Telly Savalas, Jack Gilford, Raymond Burr, Fred Gwynne, Lillian Gish, John Anderson, Tammy Wynette, Curtis Mayfeild Dana Andrews, Carl Perkins, Danny Thomas, Jimmy Witherspoon, Michael Landon, Gene Roddenberry, Jean Arthur, Kevin O'Connor, Nancy Kulp, Ken Curtis, Robin Harris, Barbara Stanwyck, Jessica Tandy, Eve Arden, Ava Gardner, Susan Oliver, Fabia Drake, and Greta Garbo all took place in the 1990s, and is a reminder of our mortality and our understanding of out compassion for what we really are. Every decade (even year) has its share of sorrowful moments, and of course we most move on and believe in positive things, both from what they were and also both their and our spirits and another world that we won't know until it's our turn to pass on.

One thing I'm dreading about the 2020s is that it will be the decade that the Baby Boom generation (the 2010s has already seen quite a few passings) will replace the Silents has the generation with the highest mortality rate, and since Millenials were inspired by them as childhood role models, the shockiness will likely only get worse.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/17 at 7:16 am

Cat

The 20th anniversary commemorations on Diana's death serves as testimony to the lasting echoes of the death.

Honorable mentions:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Bill Bixby
Audrey Hepburn
Richard Nixon
Mickey Mantle
Dusty Springfield
Mother Teresa
Dino Valenti
Robert Young

That said, outside of Diana, there wasn't a landmark passing like you had with the 1960s (JFK), 1970s (Elvis), 1980s (John Lennon), or 2000s (Michael Jackson). So far in the 2010s, Prince seems to be the most shocking celebrity death, followed by Whitney Houston and George Michael. But there seemingly have been a lot more "moderately shocking" deaths this decade compared to the 1990s, mostly because my generation can relate to more of these, compared to most of the 1990s which my parents and grandparents felt more. The thing was (even among the honorable mentions) is that most of the celebrity deaths were well past their prime (usually between the 1940s-1960s), a higher share of B- and C-listers, or simply old. However, the 1990s had a high proportion of Golden Age Hollywood deaths due to most actors born in the early 20th century, and although the 2010s have had some, there aren't as many simply due to most of that generation responsible for its success (the GI generation and even a few holdouts from the Lost Generation) having passed on by this point.

Still, this is quite a list among those stars that have been twinkling in a galaxy far, far away for quite awhile: In addition to what's been posted, the epitaphs and eulogies of Oliver Reed, Dirk Bogarde, Roddy McDowell, E.G. Marshall, Sylvia Syms, Conway Twitty, Harry Nilsson, Ella Fitzgerald, Shari Lewis, Flip Wilson, Burl Ives, Lloyd Bridges, Daniel Massey, Robert Mitchum, Del Shannon, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Roy Acuff, Pearl Bailey, James "Jimmy" Stewart, Richard Jaeckel, Don Porter, Yuri Nikulin, Greer Garson, Guy Madison, McLean Stevenson, Johnnie Ray, Art Lund, Mary Martin, Sir Robert Stevens, Elisha Cook Jr, Lana Turner, Peter Cushing, Joseph Cotten, Charles Drake, Natalie Hall, Dinah Shore, Telly Savalas, Jack Gilford, Raymond Burr, Fred Gwynne, Lillian Gish, John Anderson, Tammy Wynette, Curtis Mayfeild Dana Andrews, Carl Perkins, Danny Thomas, Jimmy Witherspoon, Michael Landon, Gene Roddenberry, Jean Arthur, Kevin O'Connor, Nancy Kulp, Ken Curtis, Robin Harris, Barbara Stanwyck, Jessica Tandy, Eve Arden, Ava Gardner, Susan Oliver, Fabia Drake, and Greta Garbo all took place in the 1990s, and is a reminder of our mortality and our understanding of out compassion for what we really are. Every decade (even year) has its share of sorrowful moments, and of course we most move on and believe in positive things, both from what they were and also both their and our spirits and another world that we won't know until it's our turn to pass on.

One thing I'm dreading about the 2020s is that it will be the decade that the Baby Boom generation (the 2010s has already seen quite a few passings) will replace the Silents has the generation with the highest mortality rate, and since Millenials were inspired by them as childhood role models, the shockiness will likely only get worse.
With the world wide impact it had to be Princess Diana.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 2:20 pm

Cat

I would think so too.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 2:21 pm

Can I say George Burns?

Written By: Mister2000 on 11/15/17 at 9:42 am

For me the one and only Freddie Mercury.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 7:35 pm

My neighbor was crying when Kurt Cobain died. Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. also hit me hard. My friends were rap fans...

Written By: humaeast on 04/21/21 at 12:30 pm

Phil Hartman. Should've just broke up with your goddamn wife! And it's because of some robot at Disney World that wasn't even around for an entire month that I like him...

Written By: BrandonB on 07/12/21 at 5:59 pm

Phil Hartman. Should've just broke up with your goddamn wife! And it's because of some robot at Disney World that wasn't even around for an entire month that I like him...

I couldn't agree with you more! He didn't want to get a divorce, because he loved his kids so much and couldn't stand the thought of being away from them. Nevertheless, his wife was a self obsessed mentally ill woman.

Written By: Contigo on 07/12/21 at 6:24 pm

Can I say George Burns?

Why would you say his death was shocking? He was 100 years old when he died.

My pick is Diana, she was world famous and very well liked. The manner of her death was a shock to all.

Written By: nally on 07/12/21 at 10:47 pm

My pick is Diana, she was world famous and very well liked. The manner of her death was a shock to all.

Agreed 100%.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/21 at 4:39 am

Why would you say his death was shocking? He was 100 years old when he died.

Sorry Contigo I don't know what I was thinking 4 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/21 at 11:28 am

We were shocked on the death of Mother Teresa one week after the sad demise of Princess Diana. It was announced on a news bulletin after the funeral coverage had finished.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/13/21 at 11:57 am

The shocking thing about Diana's death is that it was the first of it's kind. It was completely new. "Death by paparazzi". Nothing like that had ever occurred before. I remember thinking at the time "a page has turned". And it certainly foretold today's shocking lack of privacy on all fronts, thanks to the likes of goofballs like Mark Zuckerberg who brazenly declared "the age of privacy is over" and proceeded to make it happen. In Diana's time it was celebrities and famous people. Now it's everybody.

Written By: Contigo on 07/13/21 at 12:28 pm

Sorry Contigo I don't know what I was thinking 4 years ago.

Aww no problem Howard , I do many things without thinking  .
As I get older it's becomming the norm!  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/13/21 at 8:06 pm

We were shocked on the death of Mother Teresa one week after the sad demise of Princess Diana. It was announced on a news bulletin after the funeral coverage had finished.

Yep, I remember that very well. I had just started my senior year of highschool.

However, Teresa, unlike Diana, died a natural death. (She wasn't in an accident involving a motorised vehicle or anything.) Even so, both ladies were special in their own regards.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/21 at 9:01 am

Selena! She was too pure for this world! She would have been 2X as big as Jennifer Lopez had she still been alive, in my opinion!

Written By: nally on 08/17/21 at 11:12 pm

Selena! She was too pure for this world! She would have been 2X as big as Jennifer Lopez had she still been alive, in my opinion!

Absolutely! Had she not been gunned down, she'd (in all likelihood) still be with us today. (And she would have turned 50 this past April.) She would have likely recorded more music, possibly won several awards for it, etc.

And the 1997 film based on her life, with J-Lo in the lead role, might not have been made.

But the world will never know for sure.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/22/21 at 2:22 am

Who wasn't shocked by John Candy's death since he died on Catherine O'Hara's birthday? And I'm sure it's been difficult for Catherine to celebrate her birthday on the same day that she lost her friend and SCTV collaborator.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/22/21 at 4:07 pm

Another death that shocked me was Phil Hartman.  He had everything going for him, a wife, and two kids, and a lucrative film and television career, and all of that was taken away from him and his children because mom was jealous of his career that was going places.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/21 at 6:17 pm

Honorable mentions:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Bill Bixby
Audrey Hepburn
Richard Nixon
Mickey Mantle
Dusty Springfield
Mother Teresa
Dino Valenti
Robert Young

Bill Bixby was hard for me. He was my major hearttrob since I was a teen.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/23/21 at 6:46 pm

Honorable mentions:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Bill Bixby
Audrey Hepburn
Richard Nixon
Mickey Mantle
Dusty Springfield
Mother Teresa
Dino Valenti
Robert Young

I think an old hippie like me might be the only one who knows who Dino Valenti is. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/24/21 at 8:13 pm

Absolutely! Had she not been gunned down, she'd (in all likelihood) still be with us today. (And she would have turned 50 this past April.) She would have likely recorded more music, possibly won several awards for it, etc.

And the 1997 film based on her life, with J-Lo in the lead role, might not have been made.

But the world will never know for sure.

Gunned down by the president of her fan club and the manager of her clothing boutiques.  I think she was intentionally gunned down by her so-called "best friend" or she wouldn't be spending the rest of her life in jail.

Written By: MagicalCherry1987 on 09/11/21 at 1:29 pm

Tie between Princess Diana and Phil Hartman. Hartman was like the best cast member from '90s SNL.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/12/21 at 10:51 am

Tie between Princess Diana and Phil Hartman. Hartman was like the best cast member from '90s SNL.

Another death that shocked me was Phil Hartman.  He had everything going for him, a wife, and two kids, and a lucrative film and television career, and all of that was taken away from him and his children because mom was jealous of his career that was going places.

Yeah, the voice of washed-up actor Troy McClure and bumbling defense attorney Lionel Hutz on The Simpsons.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/12/21 at 2:04 pm

Hartman was like the best cast member from '90s SNL.

Yeah. He impersonated certain political figures of the 80's and 90's, including Reagan and Clinton during the real ones' respective presidential terms. As well as other people.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/18/21 at 10:30 pm

Yeah. He impersonated certain political figures of the '80s and '90s, including Reagan and Clinton during the real ones' respective presidential terms. As well as other people.

And he did a pretty decent job of it!

Check for new replies or respond here...