inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depression from Nostalgia?

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/04/17 at 9:57 pm

Hey all, this will be a long read so bear with me.

I've always been a fan of "the past".  Not just decades I've lived in, but decades far removed from my life span.  However, for the most part I hold the 80's very close to my heart alongside the 90's.  I go through "phases" where I'll try to "relive" the 80's or 90's in one form or another which includes, but not limited to, music, movies, games and even clothing.

Lately however, nostalgia has been getting the better of me.  I'd always feel sorrow that those days are gone, but I'd never be real bad and I'd snap out of it relatively quickly.  For the past few days, I've been binge watching "Full House" on Netflix.  It ran from 1987 to 1995, so I got my 80's and 90's kicks in.  (I even got sad with the decade shift in the show, as Stephanie said, "I'm just practicing my moon walk" and DJ replied, "Get over it Steph, the 80's are over".)

Hoping to alleviate my sadness, I decided to watch Fuller House.  The first episode was a nostalgia hit, and they played heavily on that doing comparisons of "then" and "now" shots.  But the show isn't helping any.

I've always thought "the 80's were better", that goes for the 90's too.  I've spoken to my mom about it, and she just shrugs it off and asks me "why?".  My grandmother however feels differently to my surprise.  I ran through some reasons why I thought the 80's were better and she agreed to every point.  My mother is a child of the 60's, my grandmother one of the 40's.  So I can't quite make out the sense behind why they feel the way they do. I'm born in '82, but remember everything from '84 and up like it literally happened last year.  But I'm going off topic, apologies.

Back on track, I never really missed the 90's like I did the 80's.  Alf, Saturday cartoons, pop music...  But over the past year I've been drawn more and more into the 90's.  I moved to Europe from the U.S. in 2000, and up until summer of 2017, I haven't been back.  That's seventeen years I've been away from home.  So coming back was bittersweet.  In my mind, everything around me, like the places I used to live / work / play was stuck in 1998ish but things have grown exponentially since I left.  The only thing relatively similar is the mall (thankfully!).

I think this may have a bigger reason why my "nostalgia depression" is hitting me so hard now.  I looked up some "Then VS Now" of the Tanner family from Full House and I could feel my heart slump down with the desire of going back to 1995.  Now that I re-read my post, I'm kinda all over the place, I just don't know how to formulate myself correctly to get my thoughts out.

Bottom line, I'm seriously depressed that we're no longer in the 90's.  So much so it's caused me to sign up to this forum and create this post.  Does anyone else feel like this?

Subject: Re: Depression from Nostalgia?

Written By: bchris02 on 11/05/17 at 3:23 pm

I've always been a fan of "the past".  Not just decades I've lived in, but decades far removed from my life span.  However, for the most part I hold the 80's very close to my heart alongside the 90's.  I go through "phases" where I'll try to "relive" the 80's or 90's in one form or another which includes, but not limited to, music, movies, games and even clothing.

Lately however, nostalgia has been getting the better of me.  I'd always feel sorrow that those days are gone, but I'd never be real bad and I'd snap out of it relatively quickly.  For the past few days, I've been binge watching "Full House" on Netflix.  It ran from 1987 to 1995, so I got my 80's and 90's kicks in.  (I even got sad with the decade shift in the show, as Stephanie said, "I'm just practicing my moon walk" and DJ replied, "Get over it Steph, the 80's are over".)

Hoping to alleviate my sadness, I decided to watch Fuller House.  The first episode was a nostalgia hit, and they played heavily on that doing comparisons of "then" and "now" shots.  But the show isn't helping any.

I've always thought "the 80's were better", that goes for the 90's too.  I've spoken to my mom about it, and she just shrugs it off and asks me "why?".  My grandmother however feels differently to my surprise.  I ran through some reasons why I thought the 80's were better and she agreed to every point.  My mother is a child of the 60's, my grandmother one of the 40's.  So I can't quite make out the sense behind why they feel the way they do. I'm born in '82, but remember everything from '84 and up like it literally happened last year.  But I'm going off topic, apologies.

Back on track, I never really missed the 90's like I did the 80's.  Alf, Saturday cartoons, pop music...  But over the past year I've been drawn more and more into the 90's.  I moved to Europe from the U.S. in 2000, and up until summer of 2017, I haven't been back.  That's seventeen years I've been away from home.  So coming back was bittersweet.  In my mind, everything around me, like the places I used to live / work / play was stuck in 1998ish but things have grown exponentially since I left.  The only thing relatively similar is the mall (thankfully!).

I think this may have a bigger reason why my "nostalgia depression" is hitting me so hard now.  I looked up some "Then VS Now" of the Tanner family from Full House and I could feel my heart slump down with the desire of going back to 1995.  Now that I re-read my post, I'm kinda all over the place, I just don't know how to formulate myself correctly to get my thoughts out.

Bottom line, I'm seriously depressed that we're no longer in the 90's.  So much so it's caused me to sign up to this forum and create this post.  Does anyone else feel like this?

I can totally relate.  While I don't really have that kind of nostalgia for the '90s, I do have it for the late '00s and early '10s.  I get depressed that the era is over and I think about different decisions I could have made back then which would have prevented my life from going the direction it did.  Those were also the best years of my life and they had a "magic" to them that I haven't experienced before or since.  What I would give to go back to a day in late 2009 or early 2010.

As for the '90s, I look back fondly on them and sometimes I can get pretty nostalgic but overall I would not want to relive them.

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/05/17 at 10:58 pm

It feels like yesterday that we were in 2009, certainly not eight years (going on nine!) ago.  Time is scary, at least it is for me.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/06/17 at 8:52 am

Generally speaking, it does get tougher to avoid that feeling as time marches on, especially upon particular feelings of life that you've lived through. For instance, anything from prior to your childhood memories would just you that "if only we could live then" feeling as opposed to the "Where did all those years go?" feeling, and in your case, the mid-80s and back. It can vary though based upon the kind of life you've enjoyed, and could look back on it as a "look how far we've come from" or "look how silly it was". But if you feel like you've "missed the boat" on something, such as that girl/boy who got away or a job offer you turned down or a poor performance in school/college or a firing or the death of numerous relatives that you still can't live without, then yeah, it may not be easy.

In your case Captain Nostalgia, coming back to America after spending most of the 21st century so far in Europe would definitely give you "future shock", as your mind of the lifestyle in America would be most pinned to you middle/high school years in the Clinton '90s, and of course, with some changes in lifestyles (actually malls aren't as cool as they once were since then with many vacancies, shops converting to other uses, and the Internet eating away at the share of them sadly, with a Bing Crosby-esque career for them, popular for about six weeks at the end of the year with pop-up shops often replacing temporary vacant space, then a long period where they lose more than gain from that Christmas rush. People are far more hostile to commit random acts of violence and security a major events and attractions is noticeably tighter.

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/06/17 at 4:48 pm

No matter how old I've been, I've always missed the 80's.  It isn't recently before I started missing the 90's.  I've lost a couple of dear ones this past decade, recently my uncle who was in his early 50's.  He and I had a very close bond and felt more like brothers than anything else.  I have many fond memories of our time together throughout the 80's and 90's, same for my grandfather I lost ten years ago.

So that might have something to do with it, I'm sure.  But even when they were alive I'd be like this.  There's a lot of thing I'd like to have done differently, but I have no real regrets except for moving to Europe.  My visit back stateside was quite fun, and yes things have changed a lot but I was pleased to see some things remained the same.  Like the mall, hardly any change there.  Tons of people, stores still filled, the only store closed was the jewelers.  The movie theater is exactly the same, 90's exterior styling still intact.

**Edit**
But I know what you mean about the malls.  Although I'm very lucky to have the local mall still "jumping", the Macon mall in Georgia (the old one) which I've spent many days in the 90's cruising has suffered the Internet Menace.  They're trying to turn it around, starting by ripping off a huge chunk of it, removing the arcade (sigh) and the noteworthy carousel.  It's been a mixed success to put it mildly.
**/Edit**

The area I lived in has changed a lot, not my neighborhood but places around it.  The town itself has grown, places that were once merely bushes and trees have hotels and Starbucks littering the road one after another.  That was a bit of a shock, I hardly knew where I was half the time before I started seeing places I used to visit like old gas stations, car washes, or stores (some now closed).  It felt so good being back though, but that's another thread in itself.

I think I've pinned down why I get so depressed thinking about the past, and it has to do with a feeling.  Maybe it's just the "warm nostalgia" feeling you get, but I think it's just how I felt overall when I was back in those times.  I've noticed it with my travels across Europe and parts of Asia.  Each place has its own unique feeling.  If you believe in auras, I guess you could say each country has their own aura that affects how you feel.  I think each decade had its own "aura" as well.  The 80's were more of a vibrant aura, the 90's more of an exciting aura.  The early 00's a feeling of "newness".  But 2010 came, no new aura.  And the feeling of the "newness" has worn off with a boring mundane feeling.

I could be totally insane, or off the mark.  I'm only shooting in the dark late at night here.  8-P

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 11/06/17 at 8:45 pm

I was going to post a thread like this myself. I often feel it for the 60's and 80's and I wasn't even alive in these decades.

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/16/17 at 12:05 am

I was lucky, I had a week or so without these feelings than boom!  They're back.  I'm starting to feel stupid.  I was alive in the 90's, I experienced them.  They were nothing special, by that I mean we did basically the same thing we did now.  There were some aspects that were better of course.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around why I feel this way.

I'm sitting here trying to figure it out, wrote down about 10 different thoughts and ideas only to delete them.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/17/17 at 2:23 pm

There are times I can become very nostalgic. If there is a year I suddenly remember, I listen to the music or watch music videos, TV shows. Thankfully, I have never felt depressed about it and when I feel nostalgic about a certain time in my life it actually makes me happier..I don't really know why. It's a happy nostalgia!  ;D

Written By: wixness on 11/17/17 at 11:01 pm

I feel the same about the 2000s, about how the 2010s has an entirely different feel to it.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/17 at 7:20 am

There are times I can become very nostalgic. If there is a year I suddenly remember, I listen to the music or watch music videos, TV shows. Thankfully, I have never felt depressed about it and when I feel nostalgic about a certain time in my life it actually makes me happier..I don't really know why. It's a happy nostalgia!  ;D

Sometimes I can get nostalgic but I don't get depressed over it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/21/17 at 1:23 pm

How old are you? Just curious.

He's 32 years old (I believe).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/21/17 at 1:23 pm

I sometimes have nostalgia for the 2000s but I don't get depressed though.

Check for new replies or respond here...