inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What music defines the 90s most: Grunge? Pop-Punk? Industrial? Hip-Hop? Techno?

Written By: 90s Guy on 11/20/17 at 2:16 pm

Out of the many genres which were popular in the 90s, which do you feel most defines the 90s?

Grunge (popular roughly 1992 to 1996) - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Cranberries, Collective Soul

Alternative (popular roughly 1992-1996) - Beck, Bjork

Pop-Punk (popular roughly from 1993 to 1999) - Green Day, The Offspring, Rancid

Industrial (popular roughly from 1996-1999) - Marilyn Manson, Tool, NiN, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, Prodigy, Ministry

Techno (roughly popular from around 1994 to 1998) - Poe, Moby, etc

Nu-Metal (roughly popular from 1996 - 2005) - Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine, Papa Roach, System of a Down,

Hip Hop (roughly popular in the mainstream from 1993 onward) - Tupac, Biggie, Vanilla Ice, NWA, Snoop Dog, Puff Daddy, and so on

?

Subject: Re: What music defines the 90s most: Grunge? Pop-Punk? Industrial? Hip-Hop? Techno?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/20/17 at 3:24 pm

Grunge and hip-hop probably.

Subject: Re: What music defines the 90s most: Grunge? Pop-Punk? Industrial? Hip-Hop? Techno?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/20/17 at 3:58 pm

-Alternative Rock

-Rap music

-Country music

-Adult Contemporary music

-Contemporary R&B

-Techno

-Boy Band music

-Dance music

Written By: #Infinity on 11/20/17 at 6:01 pm

New jack swing, definitely new jack swing. It's not simply a late 80s movement, but rather the primary foundation for popular music in general throughout the entire decade. It established the crossroads between classic hip hop and melodious pop, a philosophy which was essentially the norm from the start of the decade all the way through the Y2K era.

Honourable mention goes to alternative rock in general. Grunge was just one layer, but anything with at least a semi-grassroots style represents well what rock music was like around the world throughout the 1990s. It loses to new jack swing, however, because it largely filtered into the 2000s and even had a sizable following in the late 1980s, as well. Songs like Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It," Bobby Brown's "Humpin' Around," and Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)," on the other hand, are primarily confined only to the 1990s, with the only residual periods for NJS being the very late 80s and very early 2000s.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/20/17 at 7:55 pm

New jack swing, definitely new jack swing. It's not simply a late 80s movement, but rather the primary foundation for popular music in general throughout the entire decade. It established the crossroads between classic hip hop and melodious pop, a philosophy which was essentially the norm from the start of the decade all the way through the Y2K era.

Honourable mention goes to alternative rock in general. Grunge was just one layer, but anything with at least a semi-grassroots represents well what rock music was like around the world throughout the 1990s. It loses to new jack swing, however, because it largely filtered into the 2000s and even had a sizable following in the late 1980s, as well. Songs like Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It," Bobby Brown's "Humpin' Around," and Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)," on the other hand, are primarily confined only to the 1990s, with the only residual periods for NJS being the very late 80s and very early 2000s.

I second this!

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/20/17 at 9:43 pm

I second this!

Would your average fan of grunge or Britpop like NJS? I wouldn't know, I was like 5 at the time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/21/17 at 6:07 am

Would your average fan of grunge or Britpop like NJS? I wouldn't know, I was like 5 at the time.

NJS is R&B-based and is quite a bit different stylewise, but they are of the same generation (though NJS seemed to be more of an HW Bush era trend than a Clinton one, and of course most Britpop songs are "soccer hits" to North Americans, though NJS had some mild to moderate mainstream success in Britain. But they would like them more than say gangsta rap, which many fans of grunge/alternative HATED with a passion.

Written By: 2001 on 11/21/17 at 1:13 pm

Both the 1990s and 2000s are the decades of rap and rock to me. You either liked one or the other. And in the middle (the Y2K era) you even got rap rock and rap metal ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/21/17 at 1:21 pm

New Edition and The Backstreet Boys are mostly different, in my opinion. I still don't get the "New Jack Swing influence" on BSB or NSYNC that some are claiming.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/21/17 at 2:47 pm

New Edition and The Backstreet Boys are mostly different, in my opinion. I still don't get the "New Jack Swing influence" on BSB or NSYNC that some are claiming.

I personally disagree. Maybe its just me, but I honestly think, minus obvious aesthetic/pop cultural attributes, the overall vibe of teen pop from the early 90's & late 90's is relatively similar.

Early 90's:

ay6GjmiJTPM

Late 90's
EYSArdS0uSg

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/21/17 at 5:14 pm

But surely you can see the influence of the former on the latter? I think yelimsexa is right, there is a definite NJS root I'm hearing, like how you can hear R&B even in the rock'n'rolliest songs by the Stones and the Kinks.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/21/17 at 5:22 pm

I personally disagree. Maybe its just me, but I honestly think, minus obvious aesthetic/pop cultural attributes, the overall vibe of teen pop from the early 90's & late 90's is relatively similar.

Early 90's:

ay6GjmiJTPM

Late 90's
EYSArdS0uSg

Yes, the boyband aesthetic is the same or similar but the music itself isn't similar or the same to me...for the most part.

I just don't get what you guys are saying.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/22/17 at 1:25 pm

From what I remember, the top genres in the 90s were Alternative Rock, Grunge, Hip Hop, R&B, Dance or House music, and Pop.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 8:23 pm

Pearl Jam and the Spice Girls defined the 1990s for me.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/13/18 at 9:39 pm

Yes, the boyband aesthetic is the same or similar but the music itself isn't similar or the same to me...for the most part.

I just don't get what you guys are saying.

I guess you had to live it.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...