inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the nineties the last decade not to be overly obsessed with nostalgia?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/30/17 at 8:33 pm

Or was it the 00s?

Subject: Re: Were the nineties the last decade not to be overly obsessed with nostalgia?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/30/17 at 8:57 pm

Most likely it's the 2000's. Even if it did have some nostalgia involved (most likely 70's or 80's nostalgia), it was nothing compared to the 2010's.

Subject: Re: Were the nineties the last decade not to be overly obsessed with nostalgia?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/01/17 at 6:23 am

Nostalgia's been big for a long time; maybe slightly less so in the 90's, but it was there.  In the early 90's there was lingering 60's and 50's nostalgia, but 70's nostalgia hit sometime mid-decade.  Soon afterward 80's nostalgia hit.  Nostalgia has been a continual factor since the early/mid 70's.  Before roughly '73-ish, nostalgia wasn't a big thing - people were into "the now".  (Not to say that older people didn't like their own music, they did - they just didn't carry along younger people with them.  But once the nostalgia boom hit, many younger people were pulled into the frenzy.  In the 80's nostalgia was huge, and twenty-something me got exposed to a lot of 50's and 60's music then as a result.)

Written By: SkittlesCat on 12/01/17 at 1:31 pm

I think the 90s were.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/01/17 at 6:08 pm

There was definitely lots of nostalgia throughout the 90s. The early 90s were dominated by bands and artists totally recapturing the late 60s Woodstock mentality, including not just the angsty grunge bands but also a ton of the mainstream hip hop and r&b like En Vogue, Arrested Development, and P.M. Dawn; The Wonder Years also continued throughout the early 90s. By the mid-90s, there was a strong lean towards the singer-songwriter and folk rock tendencies of the first half of the 70s, plus strong funk influences in hip hop and r&b, not to mention movies such as Dazed and Confused being full-blown 70s nostalgia. Disco started to become a huge source of nostalgia around the late 90s, though more in the UK and the rest of Europe than in the United States. Not to mention, That 70s Show, a mega-hit series, premiered in 1998.

Written By: robby76 on 12/10/17 at 10:37 pm

The 90s was huge for everything 70s. I used to wear bellbottoms, CND chains etc. The UK had a big hippy revival. Then by the mid-90s, the disco comeback arrived - lots of old 70s disco hits were remixed and charting highly. At University, every Wednesday this big club in the city hosted a 70s night called "Love Train". Everyone used to dress up.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/11/17 at 4:24 pm

The 90s was huge for everything 70s. I used to wear bellbottoms, CND chains etc. The UK had a big hippy revival. Then by the mid-90s, the disco comeback arrived - lots of old 70s disco hits were remixed and charting highly. At University, every Wednesday this big club in the city hosted a 70s night called "Love Train". Everyone used to dress up.

I remember the 70s revival/nostalgia in the 90s. My parents were all for it! They were teens in the 70s and when I was growing up in the 90s they would play 70s music. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/12/17 at 6:39 am

Definitely not true. The '80s of course had '50s and later '60s nostalgia, along with some residual FDR/Truman-era nostalgia (Adult Standards stations that played pre-Rock singers and Swing/Bebop music), the launch of nostalgia cable channels/features like Nick at Nite, American Movie Classics (sadly like MTV, its nothing like it was today), many old movies released onto video for the first time, and of course re-releases of classic hits/albums on cassette and/or CD. Songs like "'65 Love Affair", the Stars on 45 medleys, "Lost in the Fifties Tonight", and others inspired Baby Boomers to have an "extended adolescence", even if they were already married with kids. The '90s tended to gradually phase out the mid-20th century decades and added more '70s stuff.

While not quite as accessible, the '70s itself had its fair share of nostalgia, from WWII-period flicks, to the beginnings of the aforementioned '50s revival, theatrical re-releases, the popularity of many collectible items taking off, and of course stuff like increasing crime, urban decay, and a weak economy bringing the allure of a happier era in the past.

If anything, the '10s are more or less similar in nostalgic offerings since the '70s for the most part. The adolescents/college age students drive the "now" culture the most, while the 25-49 demo focuses on what was popular in their teenage years. That's why the '90s are currently the center of attention, but the early 2000s are starting to take off for the older Millennials. People 50 and over have their nostalgia and you can certainly still find '60s/'70s/early '80s stuff out there from commercials to movie soundtrack songs to some radio station songs, but the pickings are slimmer compared to their nostalgic peak about 20 years ago, due to of course an unfavorable demographic for advertisers.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/12/17 at 2:16 pm

Last decade was the 2000s. I don't remember there being so much 70s/80s nostalgia in the 2000s. There WAS nostalgia, but not like it is today basically. It's funny as the 2000s was when 80s nostalgia got huge, but I'd say that the 2010s is more obsessed with the 80s/90s than the 2000s or any decade prior was. Hopefully by the 2020s we'll be seeing change. Less nostalgia as more people are interested in trying to start something new that they ignore trying to revive old stuff.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/22/17 at 12:42 pm

While not quite as accessible, the '70s itself had its fair share of nostalgia, from WWII-period flicks, to the beginnings of the aforementioned '50s revival, theatrical re-releases, the popularity of many collectible items taking off, and of course stuff like increasing crime, urban decay, and a weak economy bringing the allure of a happier era in the past.

The '70s also had some throwback '50s sci-fi horror movies.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/23/17 at 7:43 am

There was definitely lots of nostalgia throughout the 90s. The early 90s were dominated by bands and artists totally recapturing the late 60s Woodstock mentality, including not just the angsty grunge bands but also a ton of the mainstream hip hop and r&b like En Vogue, Arrested Development, and P.M. Dawn; The Wonder Years also continued throughout the early 90s. By the mid-90s, there was a strong lean towards the singer-songwriter and folk rock tendencies of the first half of the 70s, plus strong funk influences in hip hop and r&b, not to mention movies such as Dazed and Confused being full-blown 70s nostalgia. Disco started to become a huge source of nostalgia around the late 90s, though more in the UK and the rest of Europe than in the United States. Not to mention, That 70s Show, a mega-hit series, premiered in 1998.

That 70's Show is more of a 2000's show than a 90's show to be honest.

Written By: Dundee on 02/15/18 at 2:23 pm

That 70's Show is more of a 2000's show than a 90's show to be honest.
Well it started in the 90s anyway, so what's the deal? It takes time to produce a series, form a team of actors, write and shoot. It's like if today a show called That 90's Show gets broadcasted and continued into the 2020s, it still would be in line with today's 90s craze.

Written By: robby76 on 02/15/18 at 8:13 pm

This song stands out most...

fS2j-aHepG4

Written By: robby76 on 02/15/18 at 8:17 pm

And this from 1992...

Ponfb-X1DaM

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/18 at 10:51 am

Lmao, even Grunge was essentialy created to recapture the rawness of 70s styles like Hard Rock, Punk Rock and Heavy Metal.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/03/18 at 7:28 pm

Lmao, even Grunge was essentialy created to recapture the rawness of 70s styles like Hard Rock, Punk Rock and Heavy Metal.

Maybe inspired by it, but still largely its own thing. Like Huey Lewis and their ilk inspired by '50s rockabilly, but still able to carve out their own idenity.

Written By: Wobo on 05/03/18 at 8:40 pm

Don't know how 70s nostalgia impacted the 90s but 60s nostalgia was present also.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/03/18 at 11:09 pm

Don't know how 70s nostalgia impacted the 90s but 60s nostalgia was present also.

Indeed - but 60's nostalgia popularity waned (didn't die, just waned) as the 90's wore on.  Part of the issue: "oldies" radio stations, so popular in the mid/late 80's, they were making money, so they brought in the "consultants" to figure out the "best" songs to play, and discarded all the rest.  >:(  So you had the stations playing the same 200-ish songs over and over.  (I don't know if it happened everywhere, but it happened in Chicago).  The stations got tired sounding.  Plus, these stations didn't evolve and add 70's music as time went on (although it made sense to not have much 70's music during the mid-80's when they started, they should've evolved).  Thus interest in 70's music nostalgia grew and burst out in the mid-90s.  (I say music, but other types of nostalgia tends to follow behind - I've experienced that music leads the charge with nostalgia, as it evokes people's memories about the time, or else evokes their imaginations about how it might've been.)  By the end of the 90's, 80's nostalgia was already starting (80's nostalgia seemed to hit faster than the earlier decades' nostalgia did...)

Written By: Wobo on 05/04/18 at 5:36 am

Indeed - but 60's nostalgia popularity waned (didn't die, just waned) as the 90's wore on.  Part of the issue: "oldies" radio stations, so popular in the mid/late 80's, they were making money, so they brought in the "consultants" to figure out the "best" songs to play, and discarded all the rest.  >:(  So you had the stations playing the same 200-ish songs over and over.  (I don't know if it happened everywhere, but it happened in Chicago).  The stations got tired sounding.  Plus, these stations didn't evolve and add 70's music as time went on (although it made sense to not have much 70's music during the mid-80's when they started, they should've evolved).  Thus interest in 70's music nostalgia grew and burst out in the mid-90s.  (I say music, but other types of nostalgia tends to follow behind - I've experienced that music leads the charge with nostalgia, as it evokes people's memories about the time, or else evokes their imaginations about how it might've been.)  By the end of the 90's, 80's nostalgia was already starting (80's nostalgia seemed to hit faster than the earlier decades' nostalgia did...)

Wow that's a pretty nice explanation.  :o

Written By: Dundee on 05/04/18 at 5:41 am

Maybe inspired by it, but still largely its own thing. Like Huey Lewis and their ilk inspired by '50s rockabilly, but still able to carve out their own idenity.
Well of course it is own thing, I didn't say it wasn't. But at base it's an Alternative Rock subgenre focusing on taking cues from 70s rock.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 8:12 am

that 70 show
Created in 1997

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/04/18 at 10:49 am

that 70 show
Created in 1997

You mean 1998?

Written By: Early2002 on 05/05/18 at 10:42 am

You mean 1998?

created in 1997
aired in 1998

Written By: meesa on 05/05/18 at 11:04 am

yes, however, it was also a backlash to the 80s pop that dominated the previous decade. Getting back to basics and reviving protest music.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 11:15 am

I don't understand this question. Are you saying the 90's was the last decade where people didn't focus on past nostalgia from previous decades? Or was the 90's the last decade itself that didn't have people overly obsessed with nostalgia? (which is completely false BTW)

Here's what I can explain. The 90's was the last FULL decade without internet or social media being a huge part of our lives, which means the 90's was the last FULL decade with a lot of traditional sit on the couch with your family type culture and just have a conversation or watch primetime TV. The 90's was the last decade that had a specific identity with fashion, styles and trends physically before the 2010's which has had a cultural identity when it comes to technology, social media, memes, etc. The 2000's didn't have much of an identity at all but the early 2000's (2000-2003) did though. I guess this is why the 90's is considered as the last decade people weren't obsessed with nostalgia, then once the 2000's came and people realized there wasn't much of a specific identity for the culture like previous decades such as the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc. then people started being obsessed with nostalgia focusing on past decades, and the internet being on the rise throughout the 2000's to expose nostalgia didn't help at all either.

Written By: Dundee on 05/05/18 at 2:03 pm

I don't understand this question. Are you saying the 90's was the last decade where people didn't focus on past nostalgia from previous decades? Or was the 90's the last decade itself that didn't have people overly obsessed with nostalgia? (which is completely false BTW)

Here's what I can explain. The 90's was the last FULL decade without internet or social media being a huge part of our lives, which means the 90's was the last FULL decade with a lot of traditional sit on the couch with your family type culture and just have a conversation or watch primetime TV. The 90's was the last decade that had a specific identity with fashion, styles and trends physically before the 2010's which has had a cultural identity when it comes to technology, social media, memes, etc. The 2000's didn't have much of an identity at all but the early 2000's (2000-2003) did though. I guess this is why the 90's is considered as the last decade people weren't obsessed with nostalgia, then once the 2000's came and people realized there wasn't much of a specific identity for the culture like previous decades such as the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc. then people started being obsessed with nostalgia focusing on past decades, and the internet being on the rise throughout the 2000's to expose nostalgia didn't help at all either.
This is complete and utter nonsense. How has decade identity anything to do with nostalgia? This simply false association. Read the whole thread btw, people pointed out the 90s were full of nostalgia acts, specifically from the 60s and 70s. It would preserve yourself from the struggle of writing stuff like this.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 2:16 pm

This is complete and utter nonsense. How has decade identity anything to do with nostalgia? This simply false association. Read the whole thread btw, people pointed out the 90s were full of nostalgia acts, specifically from the 60s and 70s. It would preserve yourself from the struggle of writing stuff like this.

Okay, so PREVIOUS decades. There's still obsession for nostalgia from previous decades today, this has been going on constantly for a while now. But here's the facts, since the internet (or use of websites to be specific) came on the rise throughout the 2000's, it has allowed more access to nostalgia pages, images and posts about previous decades. Even if there was nostalgia for previous decades in the 90's or 80's, people wouldn't have been that overboard with it back then. At least that's what I've learned. Also, the 2010's have more of an identity than the 2000's. That's just the truth, and most people I know have said that. The core 2000's were pretty stale and stagnant when it came to mainstream culture compared to previous decades with an identity. Anyways, back to the obsession with nostalgia, for example, people hate on LeBron James so much in the NBA and people say Michael Jordan was the greatest of all time, but TBH, as the 90's were going on, we know good and well there were people who got sick and tired of Michael Jordan's run and rooted hard for him to lose just like people are rooting hard for LeBron to lose right now, but as years go on LeBron will be missed and loved just like Jordan is now, but here's the huge difference that benefit Jordan much more, there was NO SOCIAL MEDIA back in the 90's therefore Jordan had it very clean, but with LeBron social media has been HUGE now so the hate for LeBron is going to be more intense and spread much faster. Nostalgia obsession for previous decades has been a lot stronger since the 2000's and has been stronger than ever throughout the 2010's due to the use of websites and social media, but in the 90's when that wasn't around, the obsession wasn't that big and people actually enjoyed the decade as it was going on. Why do you think there's been so many reboots for the past decade and a half or so? Without so much technology and social media back then, the decades' identities (such as the 70's, 80's, and 90's) were in fact much stronger physically, and people didn't have to be that obsessed with nostalgia for previous decades, that's my whole point.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/05/18 at 2:23 pm

Okay, so PREVIOUS decades. There's still obsession for nostalgia from previous decades today, this has been going on constantly for a while now. But here's the facts, since the internet (or use of websites to be specific) came on the rise throughout the 2000's, it has allowed more access to nostalgia pages, images and posts about previous decades. Even if there was nostalgia for previous decades in the 90's or 80's, people wouldn't have been that overboard with it back then. At least that's what I've learned. Also, the 2010's have more of an identity than the 2000's. That's just the truth, and most people I know have said that. The core 2000's were pretty stale and stagnant when it came to mainstream culture compared to previous decades with an identity. Anyways, back to the obsession with nostalgia, for example, people hate on LeBron James so much in the NBA and people say Michael Jordan was the greatest of all time, but TBH, as the 90's were going on, we know good and well there were people who got sick and tired of Michael Jordan's run and rooted hard for him to lose just like people are rooting hard for LeBron to lose right now, but as years go on LeBron will be missed and loved just like Jordan is now, but here's the huge difference that benefit Jordan much more, there was NO SOCIAL MEDIA back in the 90's therefore Jordan had it very clean, but with LeBron social media has been HUGE now so the hate for LeBron is going to be more intense and spread much faster. Nostalgia obsession for previous decades has been a lot stronger since the 2000's and has been stronger than ever throughout the 2010's due to the use of websites and social media, but in the 90's when that wasn't around, the obsession wasn't that big and people actually enjoyed the decade as it was going on. Why do you think there's been so many reboots for the past decade and a half or so? Without so much technology and social media back then, the decades' identities (such as the 70's, 80's, and 90's) were in fact much stronger physically, and people didn't have to be that obsessed with nostalgia for previous decades, that's my whole point.

The 2000s had no identity  ?  LMAO!!!!!

-Emo
-Pop Punk
-Myspace
- Aol aim peak
- Surf Style shows  THE OC, Laguna Beach, it was also a fad
- Tanning popular during this time
-Skateboarding peak,  Tony Hawk etc
-Explosion of 80's nosaltgia ( The Surreal Life Vh1 I love the 80s, That 80s show, Vice City)
-Snap Rap
-Grills
- Garage Rock
-Early 2000s folk rock trend,  Michele Branch, Vanessa Carlton

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 2:30 pm

The 2000s had no identity  ?  LMAO!!!!!

-Emo
-Pop Punk
-Myspace
- Aol aim peak
- Surf Style shows  THE OC, Laguna Beach, it was also a fad
- Tanning popular during this time
-Skateboarding peak,  Tony Hawk etc
-Explosion of 80's nosaltgia ( The Surreal Life Vh1 I love the 80s, That 80s show, Vice City)
-Snap Rap
-Grills
- Garage Rock
-Early 2000s folk rock trend,  Michele Branch, Vanessa Carlton

The early 2000's had an identity (which I did say in my original post), but the majority of the 2000's and the core in fact did NOT have much of an identity as previous decades, and it definitely wasn't as strong as the 70's, 80's, and 90's in its ENTIRETY, even the 2010's have had more of an identity. MySpace is in the early social media era, and honestly social media has had a bigger identity and has played a bigger role in the 2010's rather than the 2000's with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, the BIG FIVE. Nostalgia for previous decades doesn't count, we're talking about the decade itself. The lack of identity of the 2000's combined with the growth of internet and social media led to a bigger obsession for nostalgia from previous decades. That's why the author titled "Were the nineties the last decade not to be overly obsessed with nostalgia?" and the answer is a definite yes. Even if there was nostalgia for previous decades in the 80's and 90's, it definitely wasn't as strong as it's become in the 2000's and 2010's. Social media is the press of a button within seconds.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/05/18 at 3:09 pm

The early 2000's had an identity (which I did say in my original post), but the majority of the 2000's and the core in fact did NOT have much of an identity as previous decades, and it definitely wasn't as strong as the 70's, 80's, and 90's in its ENTIRETY, even the 2010's have had more of an identity. MySpace is in the early social media era, and honestly social media has had a bigger identity and has played a bigger role in the 2010's rather than the 2000's with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, the BIG FIVE. Nostalgia for previous decades doesn't count, we're talking about the decade itself. The lack of identity of the 2000's combined with the growth of internet and social media led to a bigger obsession for nostalgia from previous decades. That's why the author titled "Were the nineties the last decade not to be overly obsessed with nostalgia?" and the answer is a definite yes. Even if there was nostalgia for previous decades in the 80's and 90's, it definitely wasn't as strong as it's become in the 2000's and 2010's. Social media is the press of a button within seconds.

The 90s was very much obsessed with the late 60s and 70s

The Brady Bunch Movie
Half of Nick @ Nite at the time
That 70s show
Watch Beavis & Butthead do America there is a scene with BeeGees
The 1996 VMAS looked like it came out of the late 60s with its spiral hippie designs

even when I was a kid I knew what it was lmao

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 3:44 pm

The Brady Bunch Movie
That 70s show
The 1996 VMAS looked like it came out of the late 60s with its spiral hippie designs

I'm just saying, the growth of websites and social media have had a HUGE IMPACT on obsession with nostalgia, and nobody can deny this.

Written By: Dundee on 05/05/18 at 4:21 pm

Gosh I'm not reading such long blocks of text

The Brady Bunch Movie
That 70s show

You certainly forgot that one 90s movie in which the 60s and 70s cultures play a huge roll

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqc3POpzkj5r8SQ/giphy.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 4:38 pm

Gosh I'm not reading such long blocks of text

Then you'll never truly understand my whole point, and that's on you. Saying that my post is absurd and nonsense shows that you're ignorant. If you just take time to read my comparison and analogies then you'll understand. What we're doing RIGHT NOW is part of the reason why the 2000's and 2010's are the most obsessed decades with nostalgia and not so the 90's & earlier (which is the question of this thread). The other part of the reason, well I've already explained the truth which is hard to deny for myself too.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/05/18 at 7:41 pm

I'm not saying the 90s didn't have nostalgia for other decades - I'm saying it wasn't a crazy obsession compared to recent years.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/05/18 at 7:53 pm

I'm not saying the 90s didn't have nostalgia for other decades - I'm saying it wasn't a crazy obsession compared to recent years.

This. Based on experience and what I've heard, my analysis explained on the previous page.

Written By: Looney Toon on 05/06/18 at 10:14 am

Again I wouldn't say it was the last. The 2000s has 1980s nostalgia here and there, but in the 2010s it feels as if nostalgia makes up a noticeable part of pop culture (at least moreso than previous decades).  What I'm more curious as to why in the 2010s nostalgia has became so big. I would relate it to people saying it's because the 1980s/1990s had a distinct form of pop culture when compared to later decades, but the 2000s didn't have a distinct form of pop culture and yet nostalgia wasn't as big as it is now. The 2010s I'd actually say does have its own form of pop culture (some say it does, some say it doesn't. Depends on how you look at it, I guess) yet nostalgia ended up over taking original pop culture in a few cases. It's weird.

At this rate it's speculated that nostalgia may end up dying since it's moving so fast (we're now having a little big of mid 2000s nostalgia apparently) that this may end up with people getting sick of being nostalgia for what we had just a few years back. I'll just wait and see.

Check for new replies or respond here...