inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997

Written By: christopher on 12/20/17 at 3:11 am

I remember how the Comet Hale–Bopp was big in 1997... literally I saw it on the night sky back then so one of the most memorable events from that era for me. I still remember seeing it every night in the park we used to play as kids back in 1997-2001. ;)

Another big celestial event I remember from the 90s is the Solar eclipse of August 11, 1999 which was viewed from Europe, parts of Asia and North Africa. I remember going out that day and how the sun light looked off.

Subject: Re: Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/20/17 at 7:43 am

I sort of faintly remember it and remember a lesson in science class about it, but this of course wasn't nearly as popularly covered nor as bright as Halley's Comet was in 1985-86. In America, the big solar eclipse was the annular one on May 10, 1994 of which during school, my teacher used the popular paper method to illustrate the sun, and it got slightly darker at the core, but since the moon's shadow wasn't large enough, left a ring around the sun.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/20/17 at 9:17 am

I remember how the Comet Hale–Bopp was big in 1997... literally I saw it on the night sky back then so one of the most memorable events from that era for me. I still remember seeing it every night in the park we used to play as kids back in 1997-2001. ;)

Another big celestial event I remember from the 90s is the Solar eclipse of August 11, 1999 which was viewed from Europe, parts of Asia and North Africa. I remember going out that day and how the sun light looked off.

I saw the Hale Bopp Comet too, although it was quite distant. It looked kind of like a star wrapped in, or trailing a wispy cloud, with another little star in the cloud. of course, it's impossible to think of the Hale Bopp Comet and not think of the Heaven's Gate Cult, 39 of whom committed mass suicide because they thought the object trailing the comet was a UFO come to take them to a higher dimension. It was massive news in 1997.

Heaven's Gate Cult:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(religious_group)#Mass_suicide_and_aftermath

The interesting thing is, most of the people who committed suicide were middle aged and older. People always talk and fret about how "young people are vulnerable to join cults" and the like, when it often seems it is lost middle aged people who are looking for answers from such often unfortunate places.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/18 at 11:33 am

Yes, this comet was big, but was seen around the world and where I am in London we struggle due to cloud cover, so simply I missed out on the glory of seeing it. I did not even get a chance to take a photo.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 6:35 pm

I was 8. I sat atop the slide at the playground with my friends and we saw it go by. We all made a wish. I wished for a thousand dollars :p

Written By: christopher on 01/07/18 at 2:15 pm

Wow, my childhood memory is the same - I was watching it every night in 1997 from a slide in the park with my brother. But what you saw seems to be a meteor as comets stay on the sky for days. :)

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 8:19 pm

Wow, my childhood memory is the same - I was watching it every night in 1997 from a slide in the park with my brother. But what you saw seems to be a meteor as comets stay on the sky for days. :)

Oh, it stayed in the sky? For us, a meteor went by too! I do remember Halle-Bopp staying in the sky now.

Written By: nally on 01/07/18 at 8:28 pm

I vaguely remember it. But I'm sure I remember hearing about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/18 at 3:54 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Comet_Hale-Bopp.jpg/840px-Comet_Hale-Bopp.jpg

Comet Hale-Bopp, taken by a better photographer.

Check for new replies or respond here...