inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone who grew up in the 90s but doesn't like 90s music?

Written By: christopher on 01/29/18 at 11:33 am

I was born in 1988 so the 90s were my formative years. Yet, most of the music from that era is not so good in my opinion, especially the pop hits. There is the rare song I like but even then I digged the 80's sound more and later enjoyed the early 2010s more musically. I'd much rather listen to Bananarama's It Ain't What You Do than Macarena (Macarena kinda ripped off the former in the chorus, bt even itself was an 80s remake of a much earlier jazz standard).

Subject: Re: Anyone who grew up in the 90s but doesn't like 90s music?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/30/18 at 1:47 pm

I'm with you too (1985er), and thought that the current music was crap compared to when my parents tuned into the "oldies" station, which meant '50s-'70s music at the time, and even the '80s songs that played on the stations that played both that decade and '90s were noticeably better, even if they felt too "cheesy" at the time to be contemporary, especially in the Clinton years. I now find the decade hit-and-miss with regards to the output, with a genre like grunge "to be taken in small doses" with all the yelling and dreariness, the dance pop to be used in moderation because its so "out there" compared to the dubstep and trap beats of this decade, and of course the gangsta rap still has that "ho" image. The pop ballads like Mariah Carey and Seal are more pleasant though even if sleepy. Hero? OK, but Barbie Girl? Uuugghhh!

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/18 at 5:31 pm

I was born in 1988 so the 90s were my formative years. Yet, most of the music from that era is not so good in my opinion, especially the pop hits. There is the rare song I like but even then I digged the 80's sound more and later enjoyed the early 2010s more musically. I'd much rather listen to Bananarama's It Ain't What You Do than Macarena (Macarena kinda ripped off the former in the chorus, bt even itself was an 80s remake of a much earlier jazz standard).

I'm the opposite.  I don't like most '90s music from before 1993.  I never liked the '80s sound and didn't like the early '90s because music retained that '80s sound until around 1993 when it changed.  Now I do really like the mid '90s and I think that was the best part of the decade for music.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/18 at 6:15 pm

I like BOTH the 1980's and 1990's music. It's the 1970's I'm not such a fan of.  :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/18 at 7:32 pm

I was born in 1999 and 1999 was the weakest year of the '90s for music in my opinion.

I like most of the biggest music hits from 1990-1996. When it comes to 1997-1999, it's mostly a hit or miss for me when it comes to popular songs from then.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/18 at 7:53 pm

I like BOTH the 1980's and 1990's music. It's the 1970's I'm not such a fan of.  :)

I think the worst era in pop music history was probably from late 70s disco through the New Jack Swing era.  There were some gems during that era so I'm not saying it all was bad.  It's just in general, that period was probably my least favorite in music history.

I personally love the early '70s.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/18 at 8:18 pm

I think the worst era in pop music history was probably from late 70s disco through the New Jack Swing era.  There were some gems during that era so I'm not saying it all was bad.  It's just in general, that period was probably my least favorite in music history.

I personally love the early '70s.

For me, the worst era in music ever was 2002 to 2010.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/30/18 at 8:26 pm

In terms of popular music, the '90s were really bad 8-P

Written By: Howard on 01/31/18 at 7:00 am

Why not? ???

Written By: XYkid on 01/31/18 at 10:28 am

I was born in 1994 so I mostly grew up in the 00s, but I love 90s music way more than any other era. The 90s Alternative station tends to be my default for when I can't think of anything to listen to.
I like all music from the 90s, of all genres, of course there's stuff I don't care for, but nothing's perfect.

Written By: christopher on 02/03/18 at 4:08 pm

I'm the opposite.  I don't like most '90s music from before 1993.  I never liked the '80s sound and didn't like the early '90s because music retained that '80s sound until around 1993 when it changed.  Now I do really like the mid '90s and I think that was the best part of the decade for music.

You don't like Luca by Suzanne Vega?
Or other very late 80s/early 90s hits like Promise Me by Beverly Craven?
There She Goes by the Las?
And even All That She Wants by Ace of Base?
Seal's Kiss By A Rose?
I know this post seems a contradiction of my title BUT the truth is most of those works are barely remembered, instead when you say 90s people think about Spice Girls and similar disposable teen pop that was fun at the time but most of it didn't stand the test of time (it's showing that Bananarama's 1982-1984 pop-punk songs sound better now than lots of Spice Girls'90s hits, gimme me Cruel Summer, Shy Boy, Wish You Were Here over Whannabe any day).

Now I agree What's Up? by 4 Non-Blondes is and was crap (I liked it when it was called Don't Worry Be Happy, at least the guy didn't scream like Linda Perry).

Really for me the early 90s had better sound than the Spice Girls et all teen pop. Sure some teen pop songs of 1996-2001 were enjoyable, but most were formulaic meh.

Check for new replies or respond here...