inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Those of you in High School During Millennium Era

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/14/18 at 6:31 am

I consider the Millennium / Y2K era to be from 1997/6 - 2003. For those of you in HS during this era, did you enjoy teen pop (Britney, Christina, Jessica, etc) and boy bands? Or were you too old for that type of music? I wasn't sure if this question has already been asked, so my apologies if it has.

I know that by late 2002, boy bands were starting to due off and teen pop idols of the 90s were becoming more mature so I'd like to hear especially from those in high school during the late 90s.

Subject: Re: Those of you in High School During Millennium Era

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/14/18 at 3:55 pm

I started high school in the fall of 2001. I didn't enjoy the teen pop era for the most part. The music just seemed super generic and overly poppy. I got over my feelings for the genre by 2000 and warmed up to a few songs by those artists. By 2001 the craze was already wearing off. I personally note the release of Justified by Justin Timberlake as the end marker.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/15/18 at 3:21 am

Considering I just graduated High School a few months ago, then no. :P

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/15/18 at 5:47 am

I started high school in the fall of 2001. I didn't enjoy the teen pop era for the most part. The music just seemed super generic and overly poppy. I got over my feelings for the genre by 2000 and warmed up to a few songs by those artists. By 2001 the craze was already wearing off. I personally note the release of Justified by Justin Timberlake as the end marker.

I use his album as the end marker as well.  We all know about the 90s nostalgia that once plagued the internet and people often cite the teen pop era as one of the best things about the 90s or Y2K. What do you think about that? Especially when those people say music (teen pop) was better back then?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/15/18 at 7:48 am

I use his album as the end marker as well.  We all know about the 90s nostalgia that once plagued the internet and people often cite the teen pop era as one of the best things about the 90s or Y2K. What do you think about that? Especially when those people say music (teen pop) was better back then?

What do I think of that opinion? I don't have a strong feeling either way. Either my feelings regarding other people's taste in music has matured over the years or I just stopped caring. I actually never really cared that much about what other people listened to just as long as they respected what I listened to.

A lot of people get mad when younger millennials wax poetic over late 90s teen pop but it doesn't bother me that much because teen pop WAS a big part of the 90s. It dominated the entire late 90s. That's 1/3 of a decade and it's what the decade ended with. At the time I was one of the resisters for a couple of reasons but I guess the biggest ones were 1. the bright, plastic feel clashed with the serious or down to earth vibe of what I had gotten used to in the mid 90s and 2. teen pop seemed like a girly thing and I was a guy. I hate to bring gender studies into this but it is something very much worth noting.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/15/18 at 11:13 am

What do I think of that opinion? I don't have a strong feeling either way. Either my feelings regarding other people's taste in music has matured over the years or I just stopped caring. I actually never really cared that much about what other people listened to just as long as they respected what I listened to.

A lot of people get mad when younger millennials wax poetic over late 90s teen pop but it doesn't bother me that much because teen pop WAS a big part of the 90s. It dominated the entire late 90s. That's 1/3 of a decade and it's what the decade ended with. At the time I was one of the resisters for a couple of reasons but I guess the biggest ones were 1. the bright, plastic feel clashed with the serious or down to earth vibe of what I had gotten used to in the mid 90s and 2. teen pop seemed like a girly thing and I was a guy. I hate to bring gender studies into this but it is something very much worth noting.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were a guy. It makes complete sense that a guy would not be into the teen pop scene.

And yeah that's why I asked for your opinion. Some older milennials do get angry at younger milennials when we glory this era.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/15/18 at 6:50 pm

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were a guy. It makes complete sense that a guy would not be into the teen pop scene.

And yeah that's why I asked for your opinion. Some older milennials do get angry at younger milennials when we glory this era.

haha. But I'm also gay. You would think a preteen-teen gay boy would be into all that but I wasn't.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/16/18 at 5:12 am

It's worth noting the prominence of teen pop bled over significantly into the first part of the 2000s. I would argue it was a main fixture of pop culture well into 2003.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/16/18 at 5:57 pm

Looking back I don't seem to have much love for late 90s pop and/or teen pop for some reason. Probably since the 90s is when Pop music is said to have peaked in terms of how slow the tempo average was. The music certainly wasn't bad, not to my taste. When it came to Y2K era music I mainly stuck with Bubblegum Dance, House, Rock, and some Hip Hop.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/16/18 at 6:06 pm

It's funny you say that, because pulling out of my drive for work today, my radio station happened to be playing Bye Bye Bye (this being probably the first time I'd heard it on the radio since it was in the Top 40s), and I just couldn't help but jam along to it.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 02/20/18 at 3:05 pm

Of course I did! I was big into Toonami and the like, as well.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/21/18 at 4:36 pm

I remember listening to all of the teen pop artists on our radio station around 1998-1999. And in 1996-1997 it was Hanson.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/22/18 at 12:37 am

Class of 2000. Never liked teen pop. During this era, I was really into the pop punk albums coming out at the time like Home Grown's Act Your Age and (of course) blink-182's Enema of the State.

Check for new replies or respond here...