inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How big were you on Toonami?

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 02/20/18 at 3:18 pm

Toonami was Cartoon Network's afternoon offering of Japanese anime, superhero cartoons and adventure serials from the 60s for bad children like me throughout the late 90s and early 00s. It was hosted by Moltar from Space Ghost C2C at first, but a year or so later, they changed it so a robot kid named Tom hosted aboard his spaceship. (My neighbor and I used to joke he was actually a little girl in a suit, kinda like Samus.)

Personally, I was real big on it. I tuned in every weekday to catch Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Voltron. Then Gundam and Zoids and Robotech started airing and I got into those, too... hell, even Hamtaro aired for a short while on Toonami, and I loved it!

Sometimes, Tom'd go on these adventures you could participate in online. One of these was when he died and reincarnated, but the one that sticks out is the one I participated in: the one where his spaceship got a virus, so he and Sera (the computer chick) had to pull a Tron and go inside the computers to delete him. I hated the crap out of the virus; until very recently, I actually thought he was a woman. I used to call him Zero because I was playing a lot of MegaMan X6 around that time, so I thought he looked like Zero. Oh man, don't make me go on about this thing. It was a headache.

When I moved to Japan in 03, I could watch anime as they aired live, so I didn't need Toonami anymore. But I liked to watch their game reviews from the Toonami Arsenal site on occasion.

I can thank Toonami for getting me into anime and giving me a reason to look forward to moving to Japan, even after my neighbor died. I used to have a job at TV TOKYO, but I quit last month, because I needed time to take care of my daughter.

Subject: Re: How big were you on Toonami?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/20/18 at 4:17 pm

I was a huge fan of that block. I started watching it sometime in 1998 and continued throughout until sometime in 2004 where it was moved to Saturdays where Miguzi took its place of the CN afternoon block.

I practically watched every show that came on Toonami including the ones most people don't remember such as Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Reboot, Voltron, and much more. Great times! :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/18 at 1:44 pm

I was massively big into the block from 2001-2007. I stopped watching it around when Naruto filler began taking up most of its schedule. However, I have been watching it pretty consistently in recent years, since about 2015.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 6:09 pm

I was massively big into the block from 2001-2007. I stopped watching it around when Naruto filler began taking up most of its schedule. However, I have been watching it pretty consistently in recent years, since about 2015.
I returned to watching that block too, but I haven't seen it for a few years since I don't have any cable. The lineup is good though.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/22/18 at 1:09 am

I only watched Toonami for Sailor Moon. I didn't care for any of the other shows.  :P

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 03/12/18 at 9:17 pm

Sailor Moon was awesome. I liked Sailor Venus the best!

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/13/18 at 1:46 am

I only watched Toonami for Sailor Moon. I didn't care for any of the other shows.  :P

I was such a huge Sailor Moon fan as a kid I could cry! It is my favorite anime of all time. I remember trying to find a way to watch it again years after they mysteriously stopped airing it on TV. I could not find any episodes online, I only found fansites and signed a petition to get it back on air. It never happened of course  :\' 

But hey it's 2018 now I can finally watch ALL of the seasons on Amazon Firestick. That is freaking amazing, I have been looking for these episodes for over 10 years now. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/13/18 at 1:50 am

Sailor Moon was awesome. I liked Sailor Venus the best!

My favorite was Sailor Neptune (from later seasons)! Out of the original 5 sailor scouts, (aside from Sailor Moon) I really liked Sailor Jupiter as she was the tomboy of the group .

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 1:54 am

Personally, no, my son no, but I think my two nephews are into it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/13/18 at 5:54 am

My younger brother was into it, but the only anime I really watch was G1-era Pokemon like so many. I was a teenager by this time, so I was at that "cartoons are for kids unless if its on FOX" stage. I did watch a few episodes of Sailor Moon before it went to Toonami, but its been so longer I don't remember what the stories were like.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/13/18 at 7:52 pm

I was big into Robotech back in 1999. I remember being extremely confused at how all the Macross anime I found conflicted with the Robotech stories.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 8:13 pm

I was such a huge Sailor Moon fan as a kid I could cry! It is my favorite anime of all time. I remember trying to find a way to watch it again years after they mysteriously stopped airing it on TV. I could not find any episodes online, I only found fansites and signed a petition to get it back on air. It never happened of course  :\' 

But hey it's 2018 now I can finally watch ALL of the seasons on Amazon Firestick. That is freaking amazing, I have been looking for these episodes for over 10 years now.

You didn't download stuff on Kazaa/Limewire like the rest of us? :D :P

Written By: mqg96 on 03/13/18 at 9:43 pm

I started watching Toonami in 2002 when TOM 2 was still the host with a pretty good lineup, but 2003-2007 was my main era of Toonami with TOM 3. 2003 Toonami on weekdays (along with SVES) and 2005 Toonami on Saturday nights (along with Miguzi) were my favorite.

Check for new replies or respond here...