inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How likely is it I saw Hey Arnold?

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/21/18 at 6:09 pm

I consider "Hey Arnold" to be one of the shows that best captures the end of the mid 90s at least for kids.

I know I saw it in 1998. But my question is (and this may seem strange), how likely is it that I watched it in 1996?

The show debuted in October 1996. My parents and I bought a house in NJ on 12/2/1996 and moved in around Christmas.

In October 1996, I was in first grade and would turn 6 in November. How likely is it that I saw Hey Arnold while still living in NY?

I ask because I utterly hated my years in NJ and would like to have seen that show prior to moving.

Subject: Re: How likely is it I saw Hey Arnold?

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 6:11 pm

Did you watch Nickelodeon back then? I think it was on that channel.

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/21/18 at 7:08 pm

Did you watch Nickelodeon back then? I think it was on that channel.

I did watch Ren & Stimpy, Ahh Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life back then to the best of my recollection.

Other factors: School hours, and the fact that I didn't have Cable in my room. Only in the living room and my parent's bedroom.

Like I said I know this is a strange question, but damn I hated New Jersey, and I hate it even more now as an adult and everything it represents. I moved back here in 2002 but the 5 years spent there ('97 to '02) still nag at me.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 7:59 pm

I'm honestly not sure but I have a feeling Hey Arnold wouldn't appeal to you until you were around 8 or 9 yrs old.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 8:22 pm

I'm honestly not sure but I have a feeling Hey Arnold wouldn't appeal to you until you were around 8 or 9 yrs old.

Yeah, I don't think I watched it until I was 6 or 7 either. At ages 4-6/7 I was more into kindergarten shows. But I'm not sure of OP's development curve, only he would know. :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/18 at 11:15 pm

Yeah, I don't think I watched it until I was 6 or 7 either. At ages 4-6/7 I was more into kindergarten shows. But I'm not sure of OP's development curve, only he would know. :)

I remember watching it as far bas as ages 5 or 6. Regardless, Hey Arnold is arguably the greatest Nicktoon ever made. The show was the perfect blend of quirky comedy, drama, and mature (but not too complex for a child to comprehend) story telling.

One episode that was very memorable was actually the Hey Arnold Christmas Special:

4vWLnV9DCEU

It would come on every year around Christmas time, it was actually my favorite Christmas special when I was a kid! OP, this special first aired in the Holiday Season of 1996, do you remember it?

Check for new replies or respond here...