inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you consider Family Guy a 90s series?

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/24/18 at 8:14 am

I feel like this particular one is tricky. Family Guy debuted in January 1999 and didn't enter the 00s until the third episode of the second season. What say you? Yes, TECHNICALLY, it is a "90s series" by date of debut but you know what I mean.

Subject: Re: Do you consider Family Guy a 90s series?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/24/18 at 8:38 am

The original series was cancelled in 2002 and revived in 2005.

I would say that the first series was more of a Y2K era show, but the second series is absolutely 2000's.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/24/18 at 12:42 pm

Definitely not '90s. It wasn't that popular when it first came out and was only revived because it was a cult hit after it was released on DVD in the early 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/24/18 at 1:16 pm

The original series was cancelled in 2002 and revived in 2005.

I would say that the first series was more of a Y2K era show, but the second series is absolutely 2000's.
This is correct and all, but I read a decade ago that Family Guy was first canceled back in 2000 after the second season. The decision was then reversed and was quickly revived for one more season.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/24/18 at 2:41 pm

I’ve always considered Family Guy the 00’s equivalent to The Simpsons. Like The Simpsons, it had a niche popularity during its early seasons during the change of decades (Simpsons: Late 80’s/Early 90’s, Family Guy: Late 90’s/Early 00’s). They were both in their peak in popularity and quality during the mid sections of the decade (Simpsons Golden Age is typically seen to last from Seasons 4-8 which was from 1992 to 1997, while Family Guy’s was from Season 3-Season 6 or from 2001/DVD & Adult Swim Populairty to 2007).

The shows’ golden ages also both abruptly ended in the late sections of their respective decades (Simpsons infamous Principal & The Pauper at the start of Season 9 in 1997 was an abrupt change in storytelling and character tropes, especially for Principal Seymour; meanwhile many fans of Family Guy argue that the Writers Strike of 2007-2008 was the start of the Family Guy writers’ resources becoming drained and thus the quality of show starting to noticeably decline by Late 2008).

To me Family Guy just seemed to be a more classic 2000’s TV show. While my favorite seasons are 1-3, which were more culturally tied to Y2K era, you cannot argue that the show’s mass popularity between seasons 4-6 were not significant, along with the quality of the show still being pretty solid.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/18 at 2:45 pm

I feel like this particular one is tricky. Family Guy debuted in January 1999 and didn't enter the 00s until the third episode of the second season. What say you? Yes, TECHNICALLY, it is a "90s series" by date of debut but you know what I mean.

No, more of a 2000's show.

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 11:50 am

Seth did make a series called The Life of Larry in 1995 which would later become Family Guy.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/25/18 at 5:22 pm

To me Family Guy just seemed to be a more classic 2000’s TV show. While my favorite seasons are 1-3, which were more culturally tied to Y2K era, you cannot argue that the show’s mass popularity between seasons 4-6 were not significant, along with the quality of the show still being pretty solid.

Also many fans believe the show should've ended with the Stewie Kills Lois two-part episode in season 6. It was the 100th episode, provided an epic plot that concluded (well sort of) a longtime running gag from the show, and the episodes immediately after that really took a dive in quality (like the OJ Simpson episode where it's filled with recycled animation and 5 minutes of Conway Twitty). Part of this could be the Writers' Strike, but since the show never really recovered after the strike ended, it's possible the writers knew they were over the hill and could just coast on their success.

The shows’ golden ages also both abruptly ended in the late sections of their respective decades (Simpsons infamous Principal & The Pauper at the start of Season 9 in 1997 was an abrupt change in storytelling and character tropes, especially for Principal Seymour; meanwhile many fans of Family Guy argue that the Writers Strike of 2007-2008 was the start of the Family Guy writers’ resources becoming drained and thus the quality of show starting to noticeably decline by Late 2008).

Plus Mike Scully became the Simpsons' show runner in season 9 and took the show in a new direction. The show became less of a satire on America and more of a pop culture-fest with fratboy/grossout humor, more celebrity cameos, stiffer animation, Homer being more of a indestructible/zany superhero, etc. I marathoner the show on DVD and season 9 is when the transition begins, and by season 11 it's completely unrecognizable/dumbed-down compared to how it was just a few years prior.

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/18 at 6:31 am

Yeah definitely a 2000s series, it was nothing in 1999 and the early episodes barely resemble its modern day incarnation, being more of a cheap Simpsons rip-off than a well-defined and styled series on its own. Its cultural impact and heyday are all located well into the 2000s. Just like how the Simpsons aren't a 80s series despite of shorts and its premiere airing in that decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 05/02/18 at 8:41 am

Yeah definitely a 2000s series, it was nothing in 1999 and the early episodes barely resemble its modern day incarnation, being more of a cheap Simpsons rip-off than a well-defined and styled series on its own. Its cultural impact and heyday are all located well into the 2000s. Just like how the Simpsons aren't a 80s series despite of shorts and its premiere airing in that decade.

“Bart the Genius” was the premiere episode, not “The Christmas Special”.

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/18 at 9:19 am

“Bart the Genius” was the premiere episode, not “The Christmas Special”.
So? It still considered as the first aired episode of the series (even though the season finale was supposed to air a week before that).

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 05/02/18 at 1:27 pm

So? It still considered as the first aired episode of the series (even though the season finale was supposed to air a week before that).

Nowadays it is, but before the fall of 1994, it wasn’t.

Check for new replies or respond here...