inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1995: The Year

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/24/18 at 8:17 am

What do you remember of 1995?

What significant events or pop culture colors that year for you?

Myself:

We got a second dog, who I named Fox, in late May or early June.
My dad got a new/used car, in early 1995, a 1989 model Ford Bronco II
I began seeing my youngest sister Nicole on a regular basis.
Power Rangers hit full bloom in terms of relevance from what I recall even though it had also been big in 1994.
I met my oldest friend, who I still talk to, in the summer of 1995
We got our first home computer, a Packard Bell in 1995
I remember a very Hippie vibe to the year.
I first heard the song Zombie by the Cranberries with my dad, and we both loved the song.

Subject: Re: 1995: The Year

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/20 at 5:58 am

This day (May 26th) in 1995, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates issues an internal memo "The Internet Tidal Wave", saying he believes the Internet to be the single most important development in the computer industry since the IBM Personal Computer. He gives the highest level of importance to the Internet, calling it "critical to every part of our business".

Written By: violet_shy on 05/26/20 at 10:01 am

Nothing particularly exciting happened to me in 1995. Just being a teenager and enjoying high school life. I turned 15 then.

Here's a photo of me from 1995. I'm the one in the middle: scruncci and long dark locks shooting at something. I think it was darts. This was at an amusement park..
https://i.ibb.co/T2vWrws/IMG-20200210-143249-2.jpg

Written By: BrandonB on 06/03/20 at 8:36 pm

Oh,  8) I was in 5th/6th grade that years and turned 12 in November.  I am a huge James Bond 007 fan, thus I was ecstatic to see Goldeneye in the cinema. OJ Simpson dominated the news that year. My sixth grade class English class watched the verdict together. My family and I camped in the Pacific Northwest  over the summer. And, no we did not see Sasquatch! ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/04/20 at 7:05 am

1995 I was finishing my first year of college and starting the second year that fall. During the summer I worked at the steel shop, one of the competitors of where I work now.

I listened to a lot of country music at the time. Most other stuff was on the radio in my engineering class where we drew on autocad in the dark. I remember High Hopes by Pink Floyd, Jump That Train by Foghat, You Wreck Me by Tom Petty. In my dorm I watched Beavis and Butthead every night.

My highlight of 1995 was the bass I built. I had a magazine of Glenn Worf (one of my bass idols) holding a 6 string fretless Warwick Thumb Bass. No way I could afford that. So I read up on guitar construction over the winter and came up with a design that fit me well. I made the truss rod and bridge in my college machine shop. I made a bunch of jigs so I could pretty much carve the whole thing out with a router. A shaped a lot of it by hand. I did it all on my dad’s garage floor. Then came up with my own wiring scheme that worked best for me. I spent just over $200 on it. I played it in bands. I played it exclusively for 14 years until it needed some work. I’m just now getting to where I’m able to do those things again.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6791.0;attach=33010

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/10/20 at 6:26 am

1995 I was finishing my first year of college and starting the second year that fall. During the summer I worked at the steel shop, one of the competitors of where I work now.

I listened to a lot of country music at the time. Most other stuff was on the radio in my engineering class where we drew on autocad in the dark. I remember High Hopes by Pink Floyd, Jump That Train by Foghat, You Wreck Me by Tom Petty. In my dorm I watched Beavis and Butthead every night.

My highlight of 1995 was the bass I built. I had a magazine of Glenn Worf (one of my bass idols) holding a 6 string fretless Warwick Thumb Bass. No way I could afford that. So I read up on guitar construction over the winter and came up with a design that fit me well. I made the truss rod and bridge in my college machine shop. I made a bunch of jigs so I could pretty much carve the whole thing out with a router. A shaped a lot of it by hand. I did it all on my dad’s garage floor. Then came up with my own wiring scheme that worked best for me. I spent just over $200 on it. I played it in bands. I played it exclusively for 14 years until it needed some work. I’m just now getting to where I’m able to do those things again.

This is awesome !

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/20 at 6:48 am

Wow!!!

Do you still play?

Written By: robby76 on 06/10/20 at 8:42 am

I started university in 1995 - the start of proper adulthood in a way. Definitely a fun period. I got my first car that year too.

Music was okay - nothing majorly groundbreaking for me. Oasis were huge that year.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/10/20 at 8:53 am

Wow!!!

Do you still play?

Not in bands but I do still play at home. I quit playing out to raise a family. Now my daughter is 19 and on her own and I’m alone again. When the world gets more normal again I’m thinking about getting my practice up and playing out on occasion again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/20 at 12:34 pm

Not in bands but I do still play at home. I quit playing out to raise a family. Now my daughter is 19 and on her own and I’m alone again. When the world gets more normal again I’m thinking about getting my practice up and playing out on occasion again.
Are you that good and can you busk out in the streets at markets etc?

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/10/20 at 2:39 pm

Are you that good and can you busk out in the streets at markets etc?

Not that good right now. Besides a bass by itself usually doesn’t amount to much unless you’re a virtuoso. For the most part it’s a supporting instrument.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/20 at 3:12 pm

Not that good right now. Besides a bass by itself usually doesn’t amount to much unless you’re a virtuoso. For the most part it’s a supporting instrument.
O0

I thought it was a bass guitar, the six strings put me off.

Find a few musical friends, and get together, practice to your hearts content.

Written By: humaeast on 06/20/20 at 12:27 pm

Batman Forever!

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/20 at 6:53 pm

Here's a gorgeous picture of me from 1995. This was from Glamour Shots, a very professional photography studio in the 90s. I was only 15 when this photo was taken...I was sooo thin!!  ;D. Anyway, I remember when those blouses were a big fad. I had to take a photo of it with my phone since I don't have a scanner...those are ancient! But you can still see it.

https://i.ibb.co/LSv22qZ/20200627-193632-Film3-3.jpg

Written By: DisneysRetro on 06/28/20 at 1:32 am

Here's a gorgeous picture of me from 1995. This was from Glamour Shots, a very professional photography studio in the 90s. I was only 15 when this photo was taken...I was sooo thin!!  ;D. Anyway, I remember when those blouses were a big fad. I had to take a photo of it with my phone since I don't have a scanner...those are ancient! But you can still see it.

I love it ! The bangs are everything. You look like a disney princess lol. Also I love how back then it didn't take a lot of make up to be considered beautiful.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/20 at 10:41 am

I love it ! The bangs are everything. You look like a disney princess lol. Also I love how back then it didn't take a lot of make up to be considered beautiful.

Thank you! I remember make up in 1995 lots of earth tone colors.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/20 at 2:20 pm

You look like Selena. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/20 at 4:05 pm

This is a really pretty picture, Jesica!  :)

I remember Glamour Shots, in fact I have a couple shots from them from 1992.  Pretty special!  I haven't scanned them yet (I probably should).

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/20 at 4:19 pm

You look like Selena. :)

Thanks!  :)

This is a really pretty picture, Jesica!  :)

I remember Glamour Shots, in fact I have a couple shots from them from 1992.  Pretty special!  I haven't scanned them yet (I probably should).

I'd like to see your Glamour Shots! They were the go-to professional photography studio in the 90s. And thank you, glad you like my photo!

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 04/03/21 at 10:51 am

q8slYsWmauY

Anyone remember this? I have a crush on S.I.R. That voice... :D

Written By: Slim95 on 04/12/21 at 10:20 pm

I WAS BORN!  :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...