inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s Generation Gap

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/27/18 at 11:17 pm

While not as pronounced as the 1960s Generation Gap, there was a bit of one between the then late 30s-early 50 range Baby Boomers and the late teen through mid 20s Gen X. Disdain on both sides at times. What do you remember of it?

I remember that my father (born in 1954) hate Nirvana and thought Kurt Cobain was whiny and killed himself over his stomach ache. And he also looked down on my sister's rap loving boyfriend when the latter turned up to a christianing wearing jeans and a t-shirt and chains. He had to buy him a suit.

Subject: Re: The 90s Generation Gap

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/28/18 at 8:19 am

I'd say musically, the biggest was between hip hop/rap and all other types of music, as hatred for the genre reached a peak that decade. Many more songs were also overplayed for far too long, lacking the diversity on hit radio that the earlier decades had, leading to burnout for many ballads.

The technology gap was also wider back then: computers vs. typewriters at first and later Internet vs. no Internet, cable TV or satellite vs. OTA, video games vs. board games/playing outside, and also third way-led political correctness vs. new right in terms of the political gap.

Of course, the '90s were VERY anti-fashion, perhaps more so than the '70s as styles kept getting more casual so that by the end of the decade, the tackiness that plagued the 2000s was apparent.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/02/18 at 7:01 am

I'd say musically, the biggest was between hip hop/rap and all other types of music, as hatred for the genre reached a peak that decade. Many more songs were also overplayed for far too long, lacking the diversity on hit radio that the earlier decades had, leading to burnout for many ballads.

The technology gap was also wider back then: computers vs. typewriters at first and later Internet vs. no Internet, cable TV or satellite vs. OTA, video games vs. board games/playing outside, and also third way-led political correctness vs. new right in terms of the political gap.

Of course, the '90s were VERY anti-fashion, perhaps more so than the '70s as styles kept getting more casual so that by the end of the decade, the tackiness that plagued the 2000s was apparent.

I actually think the early 00s prep look was a response to the 90s anti fashion look; it was a conscious attempt to look "classy" as a repudiation of the grunge look.

I meant more along the lines of like...In the 70s Disco fans and Rock fans did NOT get along. I was wondering if there was anything similar in the 90s? Like my dad with his ponyail and denim looking down on my sister's boyfriend with his fade and gold chains. One guy was a rocker, the other loved Rob Base.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/03/18 at 4:04 pm

This guy right here says it all, he himself is an Elder Gen Xer! ;D ;D ;D
EPNTe-hV19g&t=432s

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/18 at 5:24 pm

I actually think the early 00s prep look was a response to the 90s anti fashion look; it was a conscious attempt to look "classy" as a repudiation of the grunge look.

I meant more along the lines of like...In the 70s Disco fans and Rock fans did NOT get along. I was wondering if there was anything similar in the 90s? Like my dad with his ponyail and denim looking down on my sister's boyfriend with his fade and gold chains. One guy was a rocker, the other loved Rob Base.

Early 2000s... Classy? *eyebrow raise*

Written By: JBsptfn on 06/19/18 at 5:48 pm

Early 2000s... Classy? *eyebrow raise*

That prep thing was more of a mid-00's thing, wasn't it? I remember younger people (I was in my early-30's) wearing the Izod-style preppy shirts with the collars up around 2005-06.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/19/18 at 8:21 pm

As you know, I was really young back then and I guess I'm not the best person to answer this question but maybe my view might help out:

Although I was very young in 1992, I still remember the scene before, during, and after Cobain. I'm black and I lived in a black household and back then, if you were black, it was either RnB or rap. It's still pretty much that way but while white people (and other races) have come around to those genres, back the 90s, music genres were very much divided by racial lines and rock = white, white = rock. And that view was more or less held by what seemed like everyone. So, I'm with Yelimsexa when they say the 90s was more defined by a rap/rock divide. From my perspective at the time, the grunge scene just looked like a bunch of angsty white kids. It was weird. It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/23/18 at 7:31 pm

As you know, I was really young back then and I guess I'm not the best person to answer this question but maybe my view might help out:

Although I was very young in 1992, I still remember the scene before, during, and after Cobain. I'm black and I lived in a black household and back then, if you were black, it was either RnB or rap. It's still pretty much that way but while white people (and other races) have come around to those genres, back the 90s, music genres were very much divided by racial lines and rock = white, white = rock. And that view was more or less held by what seemed like everyone. So, I'm with Yelimsexa when they say the 90s was more defined by a rap/rock divide. From my perspective at the time, the grunge scene just looked like a bunch of angsty white kids. It was weird. It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

To add to my thoughts, I think what led to a lot of the conflict was white kids becoming interested in rap.

Check for new replies or respond here...