inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was long hair "uncool" in the late 90s (in the US)?

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/06/18 at 9:10 pm

Both people I know, and things I've read, suggest that long hair, except in certain circles like Goths and diehard metal heads, became very uncool in the late 90s. Hair seems to have gradually grown shorter and shorter as the 90s wore on.

Basically I see it as such:
Late 80s-early 90s: Mullets for older guys and some kids, loong loong hair for rock fans, curtained style is like a backwards mullet.
Mid 90s: Mid length hair, mullets shorter and going out of style, curtained haircut slowly going out of style
Late 90s-Early 00s: Long hair is out except for die hard metalheads and goth types. The Caesar cut, Buzzcuts, very short hair, corporate haircuts (think Metallica in 1996), and center parted short hair is in.

Subject: Re: Was long hair "uncool" in the late 90s (in the US)?

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/18 at 2:16 am

I thought curtain hair lasted into the Y2K era :o

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/07/18 at 3:37 am

I thought curtain hair lasted into the Y2K era :o

Less extreme versions of it did. Short hair parted in the middle around 98, 99. But the Edward Furlong look - long - I think was dead by 99. Titanic was the last gasp of it.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/07/18 at 8:59 am

I had long hair as a child (from around 2001-2010).

Written By: wixness on 04/07/18 at 12:23 pm

I think that was the case. It got brought back briefly in the late 2000s, but then it disappeared in the mid 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/18 at 2:30 pm

I had long hair as a child (from around 2001-2010).

I was able to grow a rat tail during the late 80's and early 90's but then all of a sudden my hair thinned, in other words, I was balding. :P

Written By: APDCR1990 on 04/11/18 at 5:55 pm

Both people I know, and things I've read, suggest that long hair, except in certain circles like Goths and diehard metal heads, became very uncool in the late 90s. Hair seems to have gradually grown shorter and shorter as the 90s wore on.

Basically I see it as such:
Late 80s-early 90s: Mullets for older guys and some kids, loong loong hair for rock fans, curtained style is like a backwards mullet.
Mid 90s: Mid length hair, mullets shorter and going out of style, curtained haircut slowly going out of style
Late 90s-Early 00s: Long hair is out except for die hard metalheads and goth types. The Caesar cut, Buzzcuts, very short hair, corporate haircuts (think Metallica in 1996), and center parted short hair is in.

Yep. It was also no longer cool to wear gym shorts that ended above your knee (for guys) or tube socks. Long basketball shorts and ped socks were the thing in the late 90s/early 00s. Over-sized t-shirts were also becoming less common then.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/11/18 at 6:00 pm

I was able to grow a rat tail during the late 80's and early 90's but then all of a sudden my hair thinned, in other words, I was balding. :P

I'm sorry to hear that.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/18 at 5:15 am

I'm sorry to hear that.

That's quite alright, don't apologize, it happens. It was a style I liked and that I was able to grow it long in the back.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/12/18 at 11:58 am

That's quite alright, don't apologize, it happens. It was a style I liked and that I was able to grow it long in the back.

My cousin had a rattail in the mid-late 00s...I wanna say 2007-2008. The rest of his hair was short but he grew out a small tail in the back. I don't judge people for their styles. And honestly, as a man who is slowly becoming bald, I also don't mind the idea of a skullet. Right now I have enough hair to pull off regular long hair, but the front is gradually becoming flatter and flatter. I still have enough for bangs or even for a fringe. Right now the best I can compare it to is my hair looks like Axl Rose in the early 90s, but thicker and much curlier:
http://ontheaside.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/AxlRose1993InCourt.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...