inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why were the 90s so anti-fashion?

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/16/18 at 1:14 am

Seriously, it seems like all thoroughout the decade the general idea was to dress as poorly as possible, from the bright gaudy neon in the early part of the decade, to the loud graphic t-shirts that everyone wore with silly or offbeat designs (Gecko T-Shirts for example). It seems like the entire decade was about rejecting formal fashion as hard as possible...Any insights into what drove this?

Subject: Re: Why were the 90s so anti-fashion?

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/16/18 at 10:46 am

The 90s was about not following trends. It was a rejection of trying to please people. So people generally dressed extremely casual. It wasn't to be deliberately bad looking. Comfort just tends to look bad. Once people realized that "anti-fashion", grunge, pessimism, apathy, etc, were the new pretentious trends, the 90s began to crumble.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/16/18 at 7:46 pm

As it pertains to the workplace, the 80's was the "Dress for Success" decade.  By late-decade, "casual Fridays" became widespread.  Well, we working stiffs got a little weary of "Dress for Success".  I think that weariness helped fuel the casual trend.  And casual-ness is contagious.  So when the 90's trended more casual, people were ready for it...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/16/18 at 8:07 pm

A lot of the 90s look grew out of grunge and a rejection of the more ridiculous aspects of 80s fashion. It made sense at the time, but unfortunately some aspects of that dressed down 90s look such as wool winter hats worn all year round and guys wearing baggy shorts all the time, all year round, anywhere and anyplace, have lingered on and on. Many indie bands still go for the 90s wool hat look and it makes them look quite dated. I'd like to see the wool hats and the drab shorts-on-guys-all-the-time look disappear into the sunset.

Written By: XYkid on 04/17/18 at 2:24 am

I really wish this would come back in vogue, I don't like how uptight and bland the current fashion scene is becoming.

A lot of the 90s look grew out of grunge and a rejection of the more ridiculous aspects of 80s fashion. It made sense at the time, but unfortunately some aspects of that dressed down 90s look such as wool winter hats worn all year round and guys wearing baggy shorts all the time, all year round, anywhere and anyplace, have lingered on and on. Many indie bands still go for the 90s wool hat look and it makes them look quite dated. I'd like to see the wool hats and the drab shorts-on-guys-all-the-time look disappear into the sunset.
Don't move to Oregon then, lots of guys dress like that here! Lol

Check for new replies or respond here...