inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cult 90s German TV shows

Written By: christopher on 04/29/18 at 12:08 pm

I remember "Married With Children", "Family Matters", "The Simpsons" all dubbed in German on Pro7 and the "Vampy" show with the puppet on RTL2. I assume many German children around my age grew up with Vampy. It was in the talk show format, led by a pupet called Vampy. He showed mostly Japanese animes from the 70s to the 90s but there were sketches, interviews with celebrities sometimes, etc. I remember mostly the animes.

The show ran from 1993 till around 2001-ish. I saw it only for a while in 1995-1996. Back then I didn't know any foreign language (not even English) and I was young so I picked up the meanings of many expressions and words. Now after more than 20 years I am thinking of starting a German course. Another cult half-German/half-Canadian TV show was the TV series "Lexx", but I saw it in the 00s much later.

sDEVuQAM_IY

Subject: Re: Cult 90s German TV shows

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/18 at 12:37 pm

Is the comedy sketch "Dinner for One" still shown every New Year's Eve in Germany? This program has acquired cult status.

Written By: d90 on 04/29/18 at 1:04 pm

I read that the Sandmännchen cartoon still has new episodes. 

Written By: gibbo on 04/29/18 at 6:59 pm

I remember "Married With Children", "Family Matters", "The Simpsons" all dubbed in German on Pro7 and the "Vampy" show with the puppet on RTL2. I assume many German children around my age grew up with Vampy. It was in the talk show format, led by a pupet called Vampy. He showed mostly Japanese animes from the 70s to the 90s but there were sketches, interviews with celebrities sometimes, etc. I remember mostly the animes.

The show ran from 1993 till around 2001-ish. I saw it only for a while in 1995-1996. Back then I didn't know any foreign language (not even English) and I was young so I picked up the meanings of many expressions and words. Now after more than 20 years I am thinking of starting a German course. Another cult half-German/half-Canadian TV show was the TV series "Lexx", but I saw it in the 00s much later.

sDEVuQAM_IY

The puppet leading a show reminds me of the British show called "Basil Brush". He was a fox puppet and was quite funny.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 12:35 pm

The puppet leading a show reminds me of the British show called "Basil Brush". He was a fox puppet and was quite funny.
Boom Boom!!

Written By: Elor on 05/16/18 at 4:08 am

Ah yes, I remember Vampy from my childhood. :)

Is the comedy sketch "Dinner for One" still shown every New Year's Eve in Germany? This program has acquired cult status.
Yep, it sure is (and has now many more modern versions in all kinds of German dialects...but nothing beats the original). I have to say though that I haven't watched it over the last few years anymore as it simply got a bit overused.

I read that the Sandmännchen cartoon still has new episodes. 
If the Sandmännchen is still what it was back then then it isn't a full cartoon. The Sandmännchen portions of the show were actually stop motion puppets and I believe a lot of the shows content were puppets too (but it's too long ago for me to really remember what went on there ::) ).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/18 at 4:21 am

Ah yes, I remember Vampy from my childhood. :)
Yep, it sure is (and has now many more modern versions in all kinds of German dialects...but nothing beats the original). I have to say though that I haven't watched it over the last few years anymore as it simply got a bit overused.

Thanks for the update.

Not from the 1990s, but just made available on Netflix in the UK is the especially made German television of Monty Python Flying Circus. I have always been curious on this.   

Written By: Elor on 05/16/18 at 4:42 am

BTW there was another show very similar to Vampy called Bim Bam Bino on Tele 5. It featured the mouse Bino and some human moderators. They were later joined by an additional puppet, a cat called Lucy. It actually predates Vampy by 5 years and was produced between 1988 and 1998.
https://s6.postimg.cc/445xasrnl/0c884aa2cb51e940f9882e4464d353fd.jpg

Written By: christopher on 05/20/18 at 2:32 pm

I think they look related. Vampy has the same eyes as this mouse it looks the two puppets were designed by the same person. Were the two shows somehow related to Vampy?
Also, I am surprised they read the show's name as in English like "Veh-mpih". I'd exepect them to read in German as "Fah-mpih". I guess unlike the French and some others, the Germans are not so obsessed with making foreign-derived words sound more Germanic at any cost. ;)

I remember Vampy showed the anime Bumpety Boo a lot. I do not remember much of the other shows they showed. I just found the Vampy puppet so funny. It's funny how I discovered German TV earlier than any other foreign-language TV, yet I still haven't studied German.

Still no one seems to remember the scene of a show or movie or whatever where there was this little girl and a talking, green VW Golf MKIII. A real car was used, it was fully live-action. Maybe it was some infomercial about safe crossing of the street? Did Vampy do such? I also watched a lot of Pro7 so I'm mixing which thing was on which channel.

As for Sandmännchen, I've never saw it, but we had a local "version" of it with a puppet called Pedya chovek-lakat brada (loosely translated as One foot man - one arm beard lol). They even look alike.

Written By: Elor on 05/21/18 at 3:47 am

A lot of the staff behind Bim Bam Bino transferred to RTL 2 after Tele 5 was acquired by a new owner and transformed into a sport channel.  One could say that Vampy is the RTL2 version of Bim Bam Bino.
As to pronouncing stuff the English way I can only say that us Germans love English terms. We don't necessarily speak the language very well but we're surrounded by English marketing slogans and even invent our own "English" words. The German word for cell phone for example is "Handy".... Plenty of English words have made it into the German language as well like cool, hit (when referring to successful music) or discounter. I guess we just like the language.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about a girl talking to a VW. The only talking car of my childhood was a black Trans Am by the name of KITT. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...