inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The release of Use Your Illusion I & II on September 17th, 1991

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/26/18 at 8:56 am

Hey,

Anyone here who was a rock fan in 1991 probably remembers what a big deal Guns N' Roses had been in the late 80s/early 90s. Their debut album, Appetite for Destruction, remains the best selling debut album of all time (in any genre) in the US, and in 1988 that record was selling a million copies a month in the US. It would take four years for the band to release a followup, and on 9/17/1991, Use Your Illusion I and II were released; the set was 30 songs, and each CD was 75 minutes in length; on vinyl, this equated to two double albums' worth of material.

Does anyone here remember the build up and wait for those albums?
Did anyone here buy them the day of release?
What did you think of them back in 1991, and what do you think of them now?

Subject: Re: The release of Use Your Illusion I & II on September 17th, 1991

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/18 at 4:41 am

Their 2nd album was G N' R Lies in 1988.  Though it's technically an EP, it was treated as an album when released and is now considered their official 2nd album.  The single "Patience" became a massive hit in 1989, so they really were quiet just 1 year before new material was out.

I liked the Use your Illusion albums a lot.  One thing I find hilarious is what's hidden in the linear notes.  In 1991, the band had an incident at a concert in St. Louis where Axl jumped into the crowd to stop a guy from taking pictures.  He then returned to the stage, announced the concert was over because of the lame-ass security, then slammed the microphone down and left.  The linear notes on the album read "Fuck you St. Louis!"

Check for new replies or respond here...