inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are some of your 90s memories?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/02/18 at 1:13 am

Myself:

In the winter of 1996, sometime between late January and February of 1996, my father and I were re-designing the dollhouse he had made for my sister a decade before. I don't know, at this point, what prompted it, but I got to help redesign it. Part of that redesign included spray-painting "grass" surrounding the house and also spray painting a new roof for it. To do so, my dad and I went up to the roof of our own apartment building. However, the door to the roof shut suddenly, and we were locked out in the cold on the roof on a winter's day. We called for help, no one answered. My dad began to wonder how he would get he and I (me being only 5) down the fire escape of the building. We lived on the 3rd Floor; the roof was on the 8th or 9th floor. Just before we had to do this we called out one last time. Way on the ground below, this young black guy - maybe then no older than his 20s - listening to headphones as he passed down by us - heard us. He came up and opened the door. We came to the hallway of the last floor before the roof to see our lovely neighbors all standing outside their apartments. They had all heard us and none bothered to help. Needless to say my dad cursed them out.

The doll house:
http://i64.tinypic.com/294s3ed.jpg

Subject: Re: What are some of your 90s memories?

Written By: 2001 on 06/02/18 at 1:23 am

Damn that's a scary story :o

I remember I got stuck in an elevator of a family friend's apartment building. I must've been 5 or 6, and there were only us kids stuck in the elevator. Everyone started crying and screaming. I screamed "SHUT UP!" and told the kid closest to the buttons to press all of them. Sure enough, one of them worked and took us up and we all got out as soon as it opened and decided to use the stairs. I was celebrated a hero for a couple of days lol :P

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/02/18 at 1:36 am

I remember one time, around 1995 or 1996, my parents said something and I was disrespectful and said 'shut up' and they said 'what?!" and I quickly caught myself and said "I said, 'shuteye, shuteye!" I was quick-witted back then.

In 1995 my dad got a Ford Bronco II and when we would drive along the Belt Parkway, the car's engine would make a sound when it reached a certain speed. Around this time I thought the sound of it sounded like a helicopter, and so I called it 'helicopter speed' and when we would go on the highway I would ask my dad to make the car go up to helicopter speed.

We would drive and when he would make a U-Turn, he would hum the (1966) Batman theme. Every time he made a U-Turn.

If we were crossing the streets and the light was about to change, he would say 'hustle, hustle' and we would run across.

My dog, Jackie, was a bad dog. One time, again around 95 or 96, my mother yelled at him and he hunched his body forward into the floor, and made a sad sound and crawled forward. Very melodramatic. He also one time laid on his side when yelled at and my mother got scared he was dead.

In 1994, our bird Louie one day flew into the mirror on the wall of the house. I remember looking with my dad for her, I was looking under the couch (the mirror was in front of the couch) and my dad, just in time, realized Louie was in Jackie's mouth and he grabbed her out of Louie's mouth just before his jaws snapped down. She survived and would live for another 2 years, dying at the age of 16.

Written By: aja675 on 06/02/18 at 3:02 am

Mostly songs I heard from 1997-99.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 3:08 am

Hearing that the Spice Girls were popular and being played on the radio on my visit to The Philippines.

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 10:01 am

Nope because i wasn't even born yet lmao but i do have a picture of my mom in July of 1993 she was 15.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 11:48 am

Seeing the funeral courage of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales pass by on the streets of London, and then watching the funeral service on an open air big screen.

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 12:01 pm

Seeing the funeral courage of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales pass by on the streets of London, and then watching the funeral service on an open air big screen.

Oh yeah princess Diana's death did you watch the coverage? Since you live in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 12:04 pm

Oh yeah princess Diana's death did you watch the coverage? Since you live in the UK.
The events of that week was total coverage on television, and I was in a position to be watching it all.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/02/18 at 12:21 pm

I'll be honest, I was 7 when Princess Di passed away and I don't remember her death at all. I don't remember 9/11 either. Maybe I just blocked both out.

I remember watching the OJ Simpson trial on a daily basis with my mother on CourtTV. She would be laying in her bed and I would be sitting in front of the TV. I remember my parents fighting over it. My mother was obsessed with the trial and my father knew OJ was guilty and didn't see any point in watching 'this bullsh*t" as he probably said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 12:44 pm

I'll be honest, I was 7 when Princess Di passed away and I don't remember her death at all. I don't remember 9/11 either. Maybe I just blocked both out.
A few days after the funeral I went back into central London to take more photos of the flowers and memorials for Lady Diana outside the palaces of Buckingham and St. James.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/02/18 at 1:03 pm

I remember watching the OJ Simpson trial on a daily basis with my mother on CourtTV. She would be laying in her bed and I would be sitting in front of the TV. I remember my parents fighting over it. My mother was obsessed with the trial and my father knew OJ was guilty and didn't see any point in watching 'this bullsh*t" as he probably said.

I was 7 when Princess Diana died and I don't remember it and with 9/11 I was in the beginning of my 6th grade year and I remember seeing it on T.V when I was getting ready to go to school.

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 1:04 pm

I was 7 when Princess Diana died and I don't remember it and with 9/11 I was in the beginning of my 6th grade year and I remember seeing it on T.V when I was getting ready to go to school.

Well, 9/11 isn't 90's. It's from two-thousand-one.

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 1:08 pm

Anyway, I remember LOTS of things about the decade... things that occurred in my life, as well as things that occurred around the world. I was 9 (not quite a half) on the first day of 1990, and 19 on the last day of 1999. So I have plenty of memories.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/02/18 at 1:10 pm

Well, 9/11 isn't 90's. It's from two-thousand-one.

I think I know that. He mentioned it so I replied.

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 1:13 pm

I think I know that. He mentioned it so I replied.

Then maybe I should have told him that. No worries (I hope).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/02/18 at 2:02 pm

Surprisingly, some of my memories of myself being 3 year old (in 1999) are still pretty clear. I remember 3/4 y/o me being obsessed with Blue Clues. I had almost all of the classic orange VHS tapes of some of my favorite episodes of Blue Clues, and other popular Nickelodeon shows/movies like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Good Burger, etc.:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/17/52/62175251335b3a81f7344aa58763d7c7.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/98UAAOSwTM5Y66k4/s-l300.jpg

I was also just getting into Pokemon when I was 3/4 years old, so during the Kanto/Orange Island Regions.

This Kids WB advert is pretty nostalgic:

UYxfyKVoafs

Its crazy how I still remember a few of these commercials (like the Gatorade and Alpha-Bits Cereal commercials) and bumpers (the classic 'studio' Kids WB bumpers used in the Late 90s, although I remember the block occasionally using them in the early 00s as well). For being so young in the 90s, its cool that I got a little taste of it at the very least.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/18 at 2:52 pm

Damn that's a scary story :o

I remember I got stuck in an elevator of a family friend's apartment building. I must've been 5 or 6, and there were only us kids stuck in the elevator. Everyone started crying and screaming. I screamed "SHUT UP!" and told the kid closest to the buttons to press all of them. Sure enough, one of them worked and took us up and we all got out as soon as it opened and decided to use the stairs. I was celebrated a hero for a couple of days lol :P

How long were you in the elevator for? :o

Written By: Howard on 06/02/18 at 2:57 pm

June 25th,1992, The day I graduated High School, in my mind I couldn't believe I spent 4 years in it and then after that I went straight to vocational buildings cause I didn't know what I wanted to be after High School so that's where I was.

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 2:59 pm

June 25th,1992, The day I graduated High School, in my mind I couldn't believe I spent 4 years in it and then after that I went straight to vocational buildings cause I didn't know what I wanted to be after High School so that's where I was.

That's nice, You're C/O of 1992 while i'm C/O 2022.

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 6:10 pm

And this month it'll mark 20 years since I graduated from high school!

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 6:14 pm

Wow!

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 6:18 pm

Wow!

Yep, I was in the class of 98.

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 6:21 pm

Yep, I was in the class of 98.

You were born in 1979 right?

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 6:25 pm

You were born in 1979 right?

Wrong. 1980. (I turn 38 next month.)

Written By: Wobo on 06/02/18 at 6:30 pm

Wrong. 1980. (I turn 38 next month.)

Oh i thought 1980 borns graduate in 1999?

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 6:33 pm

Oh i thought 1980 borns graduate in 1999?

If they were born after December 1 or so, they might have. (But some who were held back a year in school would.)

Most people born in a certain calendar year will graduate 18 years later. (Generally, a person born in the year n will usually graduate from HS in the year n+18.)

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/02/18 at 6:57 pm

Depends on the state. I was born in Brooklyn, NY; moved to NJ when I was 6. Because I was born after September 1st, I was pushed back a grade.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/02/18 at 7:41 pm

Depends on the state. I was born in Brooklyn, NY; moved to NJ when I was 6. Because I was born after September 1st, I was pushed back a grade.

The whole cutoff system is weird.

I had this one guy in my graduating class born on October 4, 1999.
And then there was this other guy that was born on September 13, 1998.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/02/18 at 9:19 pm

I guess I'll participate because at least I'll have these here in case I get a case of amnesia when I get old lol.

Pre - 1997

* I wasn't old enough to know the exact year this happened. But I have vision problems and the very first time we found that out was when I bumped into a glass door. I was at my grandma's and she has a glass door in the living room. I was walking up to it thinking that there wasn't anything there and boom I ran right into it. Hard too. I swear I didn't know what hit me.

1997 -

* Before Sailor Moon was transferred to Toonami, it used to come on another channel (I can't remember which channel it was). It used to come on at 6:30 in morning and I would watch it everyday before school. At first, I always missed half of it because I woke up too late. I would get so mad when I missed it. So I began getting up at 6:00am, getting dressed and ready for school early just so I could catch the episodes in their entirety. Sailormoon is the very first anime I was exposed to and to this day it's still one of my favorite cartoons ever.

* I remember a lot of songs from this year but the most important songs from that time is Mary J. Blige's album "Share My World." My mom used to literally play this album every single day. It's the first album I learned in full and now it's my favorite R&B album of all time. Also, when my mom bought Destiny's Child first album. She took of Mary J. Blige and put on DC and I started crying lol. Then when the album started playing, I said "I like this song" and stopped crying. "No, No, No part I" was playing. After a while, I also remember constantly telling to switch back and forth between "No, No, No pt 1" and "No, No, No pt. 2" and she complied. Looking back I'm surprised she complied with me because I would've found it annoying haha.

1998/ 1999-

* This is when Sailor Moon/Pokemon/Dragonball Z began airing in the afternoons. So I would rush home to catch it. Those were really the only anime shows I watched on Toonami. I also remember going to Blockbuster a lot to rent movies, especially Sailor Moon and Pokemon.

* I had a dog named Sydney. She was much bigger than I was and she would knock me down all the time when she tried to jump on me. Then one day, my papa told me that she died. He said that the neighbors poisoned her somehow because they hated dogs.

* I don't remember ever going to FYE, Strawberries, or anything like that but I remember going to a local record store. It was basically a house converted into a store and it was painted all purple. It was pretty cool and my mom and I would just browse through tons of CDs.

* Of course, New Years '99. I remember getting dressed up in a dress at my grandmother's house and I rode with my grandfather to the party instead of my parents. We did our thing and I danced the whole night with my younger cousin and stuff with the strobe lights and everything. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/02/18 at 9:42 pm

My '90s memories (July 1999-December 1999)

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPePAHUCenQgpGg/source.gif

;D ;D ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/02/18 at 10:46 pm

Myself:

In the winter of 1996, sometime between late January and February of 1996, my father and I were re-designing the dollhouse he had made for my sister a decade before. I don't know, at this point, what prompted it, but I got to help redesign it. Part of that redesign included spray-painting "grass" surrounding the house and also spray painting a new roof for it. To do so, my dad and I went up to the roof of our own apartment building. However, the door to the roof shut suddenly, and we were locked out in the cold on the roof on a winter's day. We called for help, no one answered. My dad began to wonder how he would get he and I (me being only 5) down the fire escape of the building. We lived on the 3rd Floor; the roof was on the 8th or 9th floor. Just before we had to do this we called out one last time. Way on the ground below, this young black guy - maybe then no older than his 20s - listening to headphones as he passed down by us - heard us. He came up and opened the door. We came to the hallway of the last floor before the roof to see our lovely neighbors all standing outside their apartments. They had all heard us and none bothered to help. Needless to say my dad cursed them out.

The doll house:
http://i64.tinypic.com/294s3ed.jpg

That's a very nice dollhouse btw. I wasn't expecting it to be that big lol.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/03/18 at 2:58 am

My dad worked on it from 1982 onward. He built the structure and then added carpeting, flooring and wallpaper to each floor. My late great aunt who I sadly never met contributed. He and I in 1996 bought more furniture as well as little people for it. The redesign in 1996 was:

-new shingled roof
-house painted green by my dad (green is my favorite color)
-"yard" with sprayed on "grass" and white picket fence
-top floor repainted by he and I (the rainbow color in the picture)

I still have it. It's in my room now. Hopefully it lasts for generations.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/03/18 at 3:02 am

One thing I have to give my dad is he is very inventive and crafty. He built a custom made ring shaped perch with stairs for our late bird Louie to sit on and climb up and down. He totally redesigned the backyard of where we lived at the time in the mid 90s. He made me a doll in 1996 which I have sadly since lost. I don't have the same talent for crafting things that he does

Written By: nally on 06/03/18 at 9:41 am

The whole cutoff system is weird.

I had this one guy in my graduating class born on October 4, 1999.
And then there was this other guy that was born on September 13, 1998.

I guess it is.

I even had some early-1981-borns in my graduating class of '98. As well as some 1979-borns who were held back a year (either in elementary or middle school).

Written By: Howard on 06/03/18 at 2:14 pm

And I didn't get my I.E.P. diploma until a year later cause I had to re-take the exam. ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/03/18 at 2:15 pm

and this month marks 26 years for me. :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/18 at 11:34 am

My major recollections by year.

Basically no memories

The birth of my younger brother
My parents moving to their new house
Playing the Nintendo at my cousin's house

My brother's first birthday party
Going to kindergarten
Getting my Super Nintendo for Christmas.

Graduating kindergarten
Getting a Sega with Sonic 2 for Christmas
Getting my first dog

Watching Fox Kids and Nickelodeon every afternoon after school.
Dieon Sanders' first season with another team other than the Atlanta Falcons.
The World Series getting cancelled.
Donkey Kong Country launching and my parents not getting for me.

Atlanta Braves winning the World Series.
Launches of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn.
My parents getting a new car.
Watching The Simpsons, even though I wasn't allowed to.

Launch of the Nintendo 64.
Atlanta Olympic Games.
The presidential campaign between Bill Clinton and Bob Dole.
Going to Universal Studios with my parents.
TWA Flight 800

Playing the PlayStation for the first time at my couisin's house.
Getting my first computer a Commodore Amiga.
Being dissapointed when my parents didn't get the Nintendo 64 that I had been wanting for the holidays.
Getting some of my last 2D video games for the Super Nintendo.

Finally being given a Nintendo 64.
My first year of junior high school.
Atlanta Falcons going to the Super Bowl.
Stone Cole Steve Austin dominating the WWF.
Goldberg vs. Hogan for the WCW Championship at the Georgia Dome.
Going online for the first time at my couisin's house.
Jordan beating the Utah Jazz during the NBA Finals.
Bill Clinton being impeached.

Watching a lot of Toonami.
Watching a lot of TRL.
WCW getting it's ass kicked by the WWF during the last major year of the Monday Night Wars.
My parents getting their first computer.
New Year's Eve.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/04/18 at 12:09 pm

My major recollections by year.

Atlanta Braves winning the World Series.

Atlanta Olympic Games.

Atlanta Falcons going to the Super Bowl.

You know I wish I was there for those events!  :-\\

It's time for the Falcons and the Dawgs to end their droughts! We're getting closer and closer and closer and closer but we just can't finish 100%.

There's photos of me as a baby at the 1996 Olympics if I haven't already told you!  ;D

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 06/04/18 at 2:38 pm

my first memories are of me rappin thru dr. seuss books. and watchin ren & stimpy; when ren screamed at kowalski it was effin hilarious.
then i started becoming a sentient kid. sonic was my fav since 3 and i watched Rocko the wallaby show and i remember i got an appendectomy in 1997 and i thought of that episode of rocko (also the madeline book my mom read to me as a little girl.) then months later in 1997 i bought touhou at a store during a family visit in japan thinkin it looked like sailor moon. touhou was a gateway for some of the strange stuff i was into in the mid 90s. like to heart.

Written By: nally on 03/17/21 at 7:29 pm

I'll be honest, I was 7 when Princess Di passed away and I don't remember her death at all.

I was 17 when she got killed. It was the weekend before I started my senior year of high school.

I remember the whole OJ thing too. I even saw the chase on TV while it was happening. It was rather local to me, since I lived in the general L.A. area at the time, and some parts of the freeways he drove on were familiar territory to me. And I thought he was guilty too, contrary to the verdict. ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 2:00 pm

Playing video games with my sister. Whenever we didn't finish a level or lost a battle it was the funniest thing! We would laugh and laugh some more. It was the best, and so much fun.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 2:03 pm

The first thing that comes to mind as for memories of the 90s is Lady Diana

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 2:08 pm

Oh I remember. I was in High School when she passed away. Everyone mourned her. Very very sad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 2:11 pm

Oh I remember. I was in High School when she passed away. Everyone mourned her. Very very sad.
It was so sad, the road accident, and a week later being able to view her funeral,  with many others, in person in central London.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 2:24 pm

It was so sad, the road accident, and a week later being able to view her funeral,  with many others, in person in central London.

I remember my mother saying she was so beautiful and kind. It was very shocking when we saw the accident on the news.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 2:25 pm

Times are very  different since Diana's day. Once Diana matured and "had her own mind", you might say, away from the family, she at least tried to do something meaningful. She worked with AIDS patients directly, back when many were afraid to do such a thing, and she was very involved in the landmine issue. Now we've got professional victim Meghan Markle claiming she is "oppressed" by the royal family and we've got multibillionaire (literally) Orpah Winfrey, who also somehow portrays herself as a victim, aiding and abetting her with this scam. I wish I was rich enough to be a victim!  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/18/21 at 3:21 pm

Playing video games with my sister. Whenever we didn't finish a level or lost a battle it was the funniest thing! We would laugh and laugh some more. It was the best, and so much fun.  :D

Which video game was it?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 3:45 pm

Which video game was it?

All stars. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/21 at 3:54 pm

I embarked on a new life in 1990. That was the year I moved to Vermont.

I got a mindless job of data entry and after about a year, I had enough. (I'm surprised I lasted that long but I guess I was a glutton for punishment.  :-\\

My life really began in 1992 when I went back to school. That was where I met Carlos.

I graduated in 1996 and went on to grad school.

I moved in with Carlos in 1998 and like they said, the rest is history.

1998 was also the year we took our first trip across country together. We stopped in Tulsa for my grandmother's 90th birthday party, were I introduced Carlos to most of my family (and he still stuck with me after that lol). Then kept going west. It was my first trip to California. We went to Disneyland (thanks to my sister who had extra tickets-she worked for the Disney Store and that was one of their perks.) We also went to Catalina on SIL's (well, she wasn't SIL then) sailboat. On the way home, we stopped in Vegas for a few hours and I won $300 in a slot machine.  ;D  It was a fabulous trip.

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/18/21 at 5:24 pm

So was I. It was very sad indeed. :\'(

I remember my mother saying she was so beautiful and kind. It was very shocking when we saw the accident on the news.

I remember how shocking it was too, when I saw it on the news.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/18/21 at 8:25 pm

It seemed like the 1990s to me were the "glory days" of travel, especially airline travel.  Back then airlines really competed with each other to get and keep our business.

As a single in the mid-90s my roommate at the time was a travel agent - she used to get some free air tickets and highly discounted hotels, etc.  One time she lined up a fabulous west coast trip for us - did I mention it was fabulous?  Part of our itinerary was flying into Seattle, spending a couple days on Mt. Rainier then driving up the coast into Canada, hanging out in Vancouver and Whistler, with numerous fun and scenic adventures along the way.  It was fabulous!  Traveling these days just doesn't seem to be quite as pampering as it was then.  And travel agents - those that still exist (the internet took a lot away) don't get nearly as many perks as then.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 8:31 pm

It seemed like the 1990s to me were the "glory days" of travel, especially airline travel.  Back then airlines really competed with each other to get and keep our business.

As a single in the mid-90s my roommate at the time was a travel agent - she used to get some free air tickets and highly discounted hotels, etc.  One time she lined up a fabulous west coast trip for us - did I mention it was fabulous?  Part of our itinerary was flying into Seattle, spending a couple days on Mt. Rainier then driving up the coast into Canada, hanging out in Vancouver and Whistler, with numerous fun and scenic adventures along the way.  It was fabulous!  Traveling these days just doesn't seem to be quite as pampering as it was then.  And travel agents - those that still exist (the internet took a lot away) don't get nearly as many perks as then.

I remember Eastern Airline, and TWA!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 8:49 pm

There was a time commercial planes looked like THIS:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3f8e900a2d9d4ff26a6ba493ed28a4eef8dc02b8/c=0-150-1024-726/local/-/media/2016/04/18/USATODAY/usatsports/xxx_d07_tiger_lounge_q_a_22_1177537.jpg?width=660&height=372&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

When air travel was groovy:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2689/4104280775_b598417dcf_o.jpg

Yum-o!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7646/17250694575_6e4a860f5c_b.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 8:56 pm

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3f8e900a2d9d4ff26a6ba493ed28a4eef8dc02b8/c=0-150-1024-726/local/-/media/2016/04/18/USATODAY/usatsports/xxx_d07_tiger_lounge_q_a_22_1177537.jpg?width=660&height=372&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Yum-o!

And they actually served passengers real meals...am I correct?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 9:05 pm

And they actually served passengers real meals...am I correct?

Correct. They were microwaved meals, but they were something nonetheless. Airlines has microwave ovens way back in the in mid 70s when nobody had them, so people were amazed at the quickness of these meals.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/18/21 at 9:30 pm

Correct. They were microwaved meals, but they were something nonetheless. Airlines has microwave ovens way back in the in mid 70s when nobody had them, so people were amazed at the quickness of these meals.

And they gave passengers real silverware in the 60s and early 70s....instead of the plastic ones we have today...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/18/21 at 10:08 pm

And they gave passengers real silverware in the 60s and early 70s....instead of the plastic ones we have today...

Passengers got real silverware up until 9/11/2001...

(I think the serving of meals continued for a little while after that but the decline was in motion shortly thereafter...)

Written By: Howard on 03/19/21 at 7:45 am

Yum-o!

Wow, passengers really must've had a blast back then.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 8:24 am

Wow, passengers really must've had a blast back then.  :o

Yes, especially if they were in the "mile high club".  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/19/21 at 2:05 pm

Yes, especially if they were in the "mile high club".  ;D  ;D

How much did one have to pay to be in the Mile High Club? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 2:19 pm

How much did one have to pay to be in the Mile High Club? ???

Now THERE's a question. I suspect it was free unless the woman (or man) was employed at "the world's oldest profession". Look up "mile high club", Howard.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/19/21 at 2:27 pm

Now THERE's a question. I suspect it was free unless the woman (or man) was employed at "the world's oldest profession". Look up "mile high club", Howard.  ;)

I already did and WOW, if that's what they do in The Mile High Club, then sign me up!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/21 at 2:28 pm

I already did and WOW, if that's what they do in The Mile High Club, then sign me up!  ;D
Travel is restricted these days.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/19/21 at 5:00 pm

This was back in the day when we had quality over quantity.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/21 at 6:36 pm

I remember real food on airlines. I remember you could ask the flight attendant for playing cards. I remember having a deck from Continental Airlines.

Now, they have to pack you in like sardines and treat you like your are a burden. Now you have to pay to check your bags so everyone brings carry-ons which makes the flight even more cramped. Then they wonder why there is so much air rage.

Today, we always fly JetBlue because they give you the biggest space-it is still tight but not as tight as the others. We buy a ticket that includes a checked bag-it is still a bit more than without that but it is less than if we checked it at the airport. And our bags are too big for a carry-on. And we usually have the laptop and a small carry-on that we use to carry food, meds, a book, my big camera (don't want to check that) and other items that we might need on the flight. They also give you free snacks (chips/cookies, etc)-and you can ask for more. I usually end up putting a bag or two of snacks in our carry-on for later.  ;) ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/19/21 at 6:52 pm

They also give you free snacks (chips/cookies, etc)-and you can ask for more. I usually end up putting a bag or two of snacks in our carry-on for later.  ;) ;D ;D

Cat

Many airlines used to give out bags of peanuts for snacks. This is forbidden now because people have allergies and even the peanut dust from bags of peanuts in such an enclosed area could be a danger. I wonder how things got this way because obviously these bags of peanuts weren't hurting people at first. And when I was in school it seems like every kid had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch all the time. What changed? Is there a difference in the way they grow the peanuts now? Genetic modification? Did people's immune systems change? SOMETHING changed.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/21 at 7:51 am

Travel is restricted these days.

Because of the COVID outbreak.

Written By: nally on 04/12/21 at 11:56 pm

I see a spiral staircase there, implying there's another level above. I never seen such a plane... except near the end of the 1998 movie Wedding Singer (which took place in the previous decade). The first-class section was designed like that.

Written By: karen on 04/15/21 at 4:14 am

I see a spiral staircase there, implying there's another level above. I never seen such a plane... except near the end of the 1998 movie Wedding Singer (which took place in the previous decade). The first-class section was designed like that.

The Jumbo Jet has an upper level.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/21 at 4:18 am

Indeed. On my travels, I was always on the lower level.

Also, when to fly on a plane, always get a ticket that takes you to turn left at the entrance door, not right.

Written By: nally on 01/22/22 at 1:41 pm

That explains it. I've not been on a Jumbo Jet.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/22/22 at 8:59 pm

I remember, up until 1997 when it was replaced by a Blockbuster, there being an old-school video rental store not far from where I lived. I loved to go there and rent movies, because there was a really nice clerk who would take me behind the counter to where all the movies were on shelves and pick me up so I could rent my movie. He was cute, too. To this day I wonder what he's up to now.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/23/22 at 3:48 am

I remember, up until 1997 when it was replaced by a Blockbuster, there being an old-school video rental store not far from where I lived. I loved to go there and rent movies, because there was a really nice clerk who would take me behind the counter to where all the movies were on shelves and pick me up so I could rent my movie. He was cute, too. To this day I wonder what he's up to now.  ::)

Have you tried to get in contact with him?

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/23/22 at 6:14 pm

Have you tried to get in contact with him?

I only *think* I know his first name and that's not enough to go off of.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/22 at 6:06 pm

Many airlines used to give out bags of peanuts for snacks. This is forbidden now because people have allergies and even the peanut dust from bags of peanuts in such an enclosed area could be a danger. I wonder how things got this way because obviously these bags of peanuts weren't hurting people at first. And when I was in school it seems like every kid had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch all the time. What changed? Is there a difference in the way they grow the peanuts now? Genetic modification? Did people's immune systems change? SOMETHING changed.

I know this is a late response. (Didn't see this post until today.) My theory why allergies are on the rise is because of the way they are grown. Not too sure about the genetic modifications but I think it might have to do with the pesticides that are being used. Of course I have no proof of this but it is just a theory. I seem to recall reading something about that along the way but I can't find it.

True story: One time my first husband & I were flying from San Antonio, TX to Cleveland, Ohio. We get on the flight and they overbooked so we were in First Class. They asked if anyone was willing to give up their seats. We thought about it but we had a connecting flight. We SHOULD have taken that.

Anyway, from S.A. we flew to Dallas and changed flights. From Dallas we flew to St. Louis, from St. Louis to Louisville, from Louisville to Frankfort, from Frankfort to... It was up and down up and down and we FINALLY got into Cleveland SEVEN HOURS later. And they ONLY thing they fed us was peanuts. I was SOOOO hungry and I couldn't even look at another peanut for months after that. I can't recall the airline but that was one of the worst flights I ever took.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/13/23 at 12:12 am

Hearing that the Spice Girls were popular and being played on the radio on my visit to The Philippines.

O0

And their popularity reached the States by 1997.

Written By: 90skid93 on 03/21/23 at 6:20 pm

I remember being 5 years old and watching Beavis and Butthead with my dad every morning.

Those were good times.

Check for new replies or respond here...