inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1996-1997 School Year

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/04/18 at 4:12 pm

What does anyone remember of the August/September 1996 to May/June 1997 school year? Trends? Music? TV shows? Clothes? Hair?

Subject: Re: The 1996-1997 School Year

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/18 at 5:15 pm

Kindergarten!! It was my first year of real school.

I remember the Macarena ;D

Hmm... Winnie The Pooh movie, Barney, Blue's Clues, Teletubbies, Power Rangers those shoes that glow when you walk, Burger King kid's club, Pizza Hut at the height of its popularity, Windows 95, floppy disks and CD Roms...

Most my memories of it are kiddy if not outright babyish.  :-[

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/04/18 at 5:25 pm

Kindergarten!! It was my first year of real school.

I remember the Macarena ;D

Hmm... Winnie The Pooh movie, Barney, Blue's Clues, Teletubbies, Power Rangers those shoes that glow when you walk, Burger King kid's club, Pizza Hut at the height of its popularity, Windows 95, floppy disks and CD Roms...

Most my memories of it are kiddy if not outright babyish.  :-[

Wasn't the Winnie The Pooh movie released in August?

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/18 at 5:37 pm

Wasn't the Winnie The Pooh movie released in August?

I was thinking of the 1996 VHS release of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Also, I just remembered that Jurassic Park and the Batman and Robin movie came out that year too.

And I also liked watching The Mask cartoon and Captain Planet.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/04/18 at 5:52 pm

I was thinking of the 1996 VHS release of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Also, I just remembered that Jurassic Park and the Batman and Robin movie came out that year too.

And I also liked watching The Mask cartoon and Captain Planet.

I was talking about the movie where Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, and Rabbit all fall down a cliff.

Before that, Tigger was trying to find the other half of a torn map.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/04/18 at 9:11 pm

I remember seeing Disney channel movies and looking forward, in around September 96, to the live action 101 Dalmations movie. I also remember seeing Muppet Treasure Island, Adventures of Pinocchio (live action), The Indian in the Cupboard (a rental), and All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (the latter being on tape at home) around this time, as well as Space Jam. In November I was given a 6th birthday party at Burger King and there was tons of Toy Story stuff (posters etc) as well as a magician who creeped me out. I remember the first month or so of first grade; I had a horrible and abusive teacher who likely had dementia. I remember going with my mother to vote in the 96 election. I remember staying with my father in our new home in late Dec or early Jan at our new home in New Jersey. We camped out in a spare bedroom with mattresses on the floor and rented movies from the local store; I particularly remember enjoying The Frightners and Dragonheart. Early New Year breaking my parents' old TV by accident. My dog getting hit by a car in April 97.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 07/04/18 at 9:33 pm

I remember Hey Arnold premiering that fall.

Written By: nally on 07/04/18 at 11:00 pm

For me, that was my junior year of high school (11th grade). I had lots of great memories. :) 8)

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/04/18 at 11:20 pm

I was in preschool.  ;D

Ummm...I watched Nick Jr a lot. Blue's Clues, Little Bear, and Gullah Gullah Island are some shows I watched in the mornings. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was Disney's latest animated movie. I don't know if I saw it in theaters, but I do remember going to the store and seeing a Nestle chocolate bar featuring the characters, and also the VHS at Albertson's around early 1997 when it was released on tape.

Oh, and Disney Masterpiece Happy Meal toys were popular at McDonald's. I used to love collecting those. I always wanted Alice, but I never acquired her. Does anybody remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1p7lBwwUA

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/18 at 1:36 pm

During the 1996 - 1997 school year I was a Junior in High School. I still remember my first day! I don't have any photos of that day but I still have the clothing I wore. It was a black button down skirt/ dress, with a white button down long sleeve blouse tied at the center(that is how we wore it at our school during that year). And a pair of Doc Marten-ish type boots.

http://i64.tinypic.com/xl9p3n.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/15hc0zq.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/17p8ht.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...