inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the metal scene like in the Grunge era?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/07/18 at 10:22 am

Like, say, from 92 to 95, how did metalheads cope with/respond to grunge?

Subject: Re: What was the metal scene like in the Grunge era?

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/10/18 at 1:34 pm

I'm surprised no one has answered this post yet, because it's a topic that I find really interesting. Granted you may want the opinion of someone who was actually alive at that time, but I can still give my views based on what I've heard. From what I understand, thrash metal was still pretty popular, though some people claim that grunge "killed" thrash metal. I think industrial metal was on the rise at the time, although it was probably more popular during the latter part of the 90s.

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/18 at 10:38 pm

When Grunge hit the scene, hair metal almost died.  I say almost because some still stuck around, but it wasn't enough to keep their albums and songs in the top 40.  I still feel bad for ones that came on the scene circa 1990-91.  Bands like Firehouse, Enuff Z'nuff, Big House and Harem Scarem (the latter two perhaps only seen in Canada) started off strong, but they eventually faded away into those bands that tour small clubs and fairs with the hits they had, but don't ever have new hits

Written By: meesa on 07/16/18 at 10:33 pm

Like, say, from 92 to 95, how did metalheads cope with/respond to grunge?

My brother was in a metal band-not hair metal or 'spaghetti band crap' as he called it, but 'real' (his word) metal. When grunge hit, he loved it, and eventually joined another band that played grunge influenced music as well as kept his metal band. I was into the grunge music scene myself, and in my observation there was more crossover than people would think. Metal heads that had grown tired of that scene because speed, death, and all the in-between metal music types were becoming tired; they found themselves crossing over and listening to AIC, Tad-even Soundgarden. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the hardcore fans would listen to STP, PJ or Nirvana though.

Grunge didn't 'kill' hair metal. It was already on it's way out for the most part and people were looking for something new.

Check for new replies or respond here...