inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you remember about 1990?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/11/18 at 5:28 pm

What do you remember about 1990? The fashion, trends, hair, clothes, music, movies and general vibe? Did 90 feel much different from 89?

Subject: Re: What do you remember about 1990?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/12/18 at 2:28 pm

To me it did feel different than 1989. In early 1990, I remember walking around with a huge New Kids on the Block fashion pin. Lol. They were very popular that year. Also, I remember watching "Vision of love" by Mariah Carey for the first time when it first aired on VH1. That was the year her singing career began. But my favorite singers from 1990 were Lisa Stansfield and Cathy Dennis.

5o1xLYBNBF8
Sp0sEISEMA8

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/12/18 at 2:46 pm

The Persian Gulf War. I was in the Army in Germany at the time, though my unit did not get deployed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/18 at 4:00 pm

I was starting my new life. I was medically retired from the Air Force, no longer married and moved to Vermont without knowing anyone or having a job. I decided to go back to school. It was during that time I did a lot of healing and a lot of growing. It was also during this time that I met the love of my life.  :)

At the time I was building up my VHS movie collection. I still have it and have no idea what to do with it.  :-\\

In terms of fashion, I lived in jeans & tee shirts and my hair was pretty much the same way that it is now-long with bangs. And yeah, I colored my hair then, too-pretty much the same color that I use now. The only difference is, I did it myself back then because I couldn't afford to have someone do it for me. Yeah, money was VERY tight back than.

As for t.v. I was upset that the O.J. trail kept preempting my soaps. The prime time shows I used to watch were Dr. Quinn, Quantum Leap, Touched by an Angel, Full House, Sabrina, Walker Texas Ranger, & Lois & Clark. Other shows include Save by the Bell & Daria. Even though I was in my 30s, I watched a lot of Nickelodeon:  Are You Afraid of the Dark, You Can't Do That On Television, The Secret World of Alex Mack, and others.

By this time, I started moving away from popular music but I did like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR108kwNo4

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 07/12/18 at 4:52 pm

I was starting my new life. I was medically retired from the Air Force

Cat

Wow! I did not know you were in the Air Force. How long did you serve?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/18 at 5:16 pm

Wow! I did not know you were in the Air Force. How long did you serve?

Daja vu all over again. I just answered this question this morning:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57727.15

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 07/12/18 at 5:26 pm

Daja vu all over again. I just answered this question this morning:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57727.15

Cat

I hardly visit the 80's forums, but I saw the cool photo of you too when you were younger in the uniform! You reminded me of one of my recent classmates!

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/18 at 10:50 pm

I was in my last year of elementary school.  New Kids on the Block, Madonna, Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul were among the most popular artists at the time. 

One of my favourite songs was called Every little tear by Paul Janz.  It was a massive hit in Canada and though I didn't know who sang it at the time, I knew it to hear it and I sure loved when it came on the radio.

3YeBTNM--mk

Written By: annimal on 07/12/18 at 10:53 pm

I remember not liking it

cant stand this

Written By: nally on 07/13/18 at 1:33 am

To me it did feel different than 1989. In early 1990, I remember walking around with a huge New Kids on the Block fashion pin. Lol. They were very popular that year. Also, I remember watching "Vision of love" by Mariah Carey for the first time when it first aired on VH1. That was the year her singing career began. But my favorite singers from 1990 were Lisa Stansfield and Cathy Dennis.

O0

I really liked their respective hits "All Around The World" and "Too Many Walls". 8)

Written By: nally on 07/13/18 at 1:36 am

For me, that was the year I turned 10. My life during the first half of the year (4th grade) was completely different than that of the second half (5th grade), although there were some positives on either side. I changed schools for the third straight calendar year (and I had my first taste of special education when I started 5th grade). Also it was my final summer of attending day camp.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/18 at 7:25 am

What do you remember about 1990? The fashion, trends, hair, clothes, music, movies and general vibe? Did 90 feel much different from 89?

From what I can remember in 1990 I was a Junior in High School.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 07/19/18 at 11:21 am

Just my thoughts, having been born then:

Musically (Most to least Dominate):
*Watered-down/fading 80's sound (Still distinctly 80's, but not as overproduced and synth heavy as 1984-87. This became the norm by '88-'89).
*What the 80's thought the 90's would sound like ("You Can't Touch This," "Tic Tac Toe," "Rub You the Right Way,"etc.)
*Pure 80's (Songs that could've easily charted in '85; e.g. "Enjoy the Silence," "I Wanna Be Rich," "What Kind of Man Would I Be?" "Cradle of Love")
*Early 90's ("Vogue," "Everybody Everybody," Lisa Stanfield)

Fashion:
*Similar to music -- watered down 80's (slightly less hairspray & makeup), what the 80's thought the 90's would look like (circa 1989), pure 80's (big hair/mullets), and possibly pre-Grunge. Lots of neon. See early seasons of Saved by the Bell.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/26/18 at 1:42 pm

I was born in 78 so I don't remember too much of 1990.

HOWEVER

What I will tell you is that it was fabulosity at the most fabulous level of fabulousness.

I vividly remember so many minute details, it's like it was yesterday.

My mom decorated our kitchen with ducks.  Ducks were BIG in decor in the late 80's and 1990 and then dropped off significantly because of the NES Game Duck Hunt - people became scared of them!  :o

Tyco released Lego, and they became a huge hit with kids and grandparents, who enjoyed making and breaking them.

Essentially every single musical act from the 80's had retired at this point.  Paula Abdul had fizzled out, and Madonna's hit Vogue was stronger than ever.

Movies?  Oh, where do I start with movies?  This might be the best year EVER for a movie.  It could have been.  Ghost won all the awards!

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/26/18 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was born in November 1990 and it is always cool to understand what things were like the year you were born.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/26/18 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was born in November 1990 and it is always cool to understand what things were like the year you were born.
Yeah right, I was born in 1996 and I know a lot happened that year. It seems that 96 borns are the ones that can list the most when it comes to our birth year.

Written By: d90 on 08/12/18 at 12:36 pm

The Persian Gulf War. I was in the Army in Germany at the time, though my unit did not get deployed.

That was the year that Germany reunited.
Were you there when the Berlin Wall started getting demolished? What was it like seeing East Germany?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/13/18 at 6:51 am

I was finishing preschool and entering kindergarten, so I mostly just followed the popular kids trends, led by (of course), TMNT. I remember the "Genesis Does", but didn't play on one until after Sonic the Hedgehog came out, and it was all about the limited half-dozen to later dozen NES games I had (they were expensive back then, so I basically just played each game to death). I also played a LOT of board games, much more than what today's kids do thanks to apps. I also liked Smart Start-type clones (it was a Fisher-Price learning material), along with catching Disney in its Renaissance. I do remember jammin' to "U Can't Touch This" with mom, and it did seem a little corny given that the music of the '50s, '60s, and non-disco '70s was played a lot more then than it is today, and I remember that not only more retail stores seemed to play music on the speaker systems, but louder than today. Shopping malls seemed a lot busier as well, and its the epitome of "what an early Millennial thinks the 80s are", even if they don't remember of the core '80s and only transition to the '90s. But I wasn't quite old enough to really understand the news yet (the first Gulf War was the first, but that was at the very end of the year and early '91). Everything back then just seemed more fun and loose and not forced and hurried like it does now, but as my parents/grandparents said, it's "progress".

At the time I was building up my VHS movie collection. I still have it and have no idea what to do with it.  :-\\

If you have pre-recorded material recorded off the TV with commercials (from the blank tapes, not the pre-packaged movies), sell it on eBay or even PM it to someone like me.

As for t.v. I was upset that the O.J. trail kept preempting my soaps. The prime time shows I used to watch were Dr. Quinn, Quantum Leap, Touched by an Angel, Full House, Sabrina, Walker Texas Ranger, & Lois & Clark. Other shows include Save by the Bell & Daria. Even though I was in my 30s, I watched a lot of Nickelodeon:  Are You Afraid of the Dark, You Can't Do That On Television, The Secret World of Alex Mack, and others.

The O.J. trial was the mid-90s, and soaps were still quite popular at the start of the '90s. Also, all the bolded shows you mentioned premiered from 1992-1996.

Cat

I was born in 78 so I don't remember too much of 1990.

HOWEVER

What I will tell you is that it was fabulosity at the most fabulous level of fabulousness.

I vividly remember so many minute details, it's like it was yesterday.

My mom decorated our kitchen with ducks.  Ducks were BIG in decor in the late 80's and 1990 and then dropped off significantly because of the NES Game Duck Hunt - people became scared of them!  :o

I'm a bit surprised since Duck Hunt came out in the mid-80s and was one of the original pack-in games for the NES, before and after Super Mario Bros. And I was never aware of such a decline due to a video game.

Tyco released Lego, and they became a huge hit with kids and grandparents, who enjoyed making and breaking them.

Lego first became popular around the mid-'60s, and aren't associated with Tyco.

Essentially every single musical act from the 80's had retired at this point.  Paula Abdul had fizzled out, and Madonna's hit Vogue was stronger than ever.

Possibly the falsest piece of info posted here. Paula Abdul had two #1 singles in 1991 ("Rush, Rush" and "Promise Of a New Day"), and still is nostalgically popular these days. And mentioning Madonna contradicts your first sentence, given that she already had a great '80s and would continue to be successful well into the '00s. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/18 at 12:33 pm

If you have pre-recorded material recorded off the TV with commercials (from the blank tapes, not the pre-packaged movies), sell it on eBay or even PM it to someone like me.

The O.J. trial was the mid-90s, and soaps were still quite popular at the start of the '90s. Also, all the bolded shows you mentioned premiered from 1992-1996.

I know about eBay. Carlos & I have been selling crap stuff on eBay for over 10 years-but not everything sells. When I heard that Disney VHS tapes were selling high, I was about to list those. My sister and hers didn't really sell-or they didn't sell very high. And the issue with selling my VHS tapes there is that I'm not too sure I am ready to part with many of my tapes-some are on the rare side-like Weird Al's UHF movie.

I read this thread as the 1990s-so I was basically answering what I remember about the decade-not just ONE year.

Cat

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/13/18 at 8:19 pm

I really wanted to share earlier but tbh, I'm afraid I'll give you stuff from 91 and 92 because I was so young.

I remember...

1. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles phenomenon.
2. The Tim Burton Batman phenomenon.
3. Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul (I loved that video as kid. It was a live action person dancing with a cartoon, which leads me to...
4. ....Who Framed Roger Rabbit?)
5. Dick Tracy
6. Vision of Love by Mariah Carey
7. Having nightmares about the Garbage Pail Kids movie.
8. Hating the fact that bozo the clown was on when I got home from preschool
9. Watching The Real Ghostbusters
10. Feeling like the shows that were on weren't for me...
11. ...Until Rugrats appeared that fall.
12. A lot of nights with the news showing people breaking a wall and cheering.
13. Oh, yes. And my friends and family doing the Rhythm Nation choreography.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 08/25/18 at 8:31 am

- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles syndicated cartoon, action figures (April and Shredder were the hardest to find at the time), Mirage comic book, and first film.

- Watching MTV for every season of the year, while only having VH1 on in the summer.

- Full House, the second season of Family Matters, and Perfect Strangers

- Going to see Dick Tracy with the Rollercoaster Rabbit short before it (I did not get a t-shirt with my ticket, unfortunately).

- Murphy Brown CBS promos

- Being blown away by the fact that a prime time cartoon was on the air (The Simpsons)/ Married with Children

- The Simpsons dolls and kids meal toys at Burger King/ popularity of Bartman t-shirts (I had the second one with Bart dressed in a black mask and cape from the fall of 1990).

- Simpsons merchandise everywhere from October to December.

- High hair on women

- Shortalls

- Acid Wash jeans

- Miami Vice style  (1990 was the last year of it, if I remember correctly)

- Reruns of Family Ties

- The New Adventures of He-Man ( 8-P)

- Silverhawks repeats

- Dinosaucers repeats

- Batman cereal/Dark Knight Collection action figures

- My cousin receiving California Raisins figurines (the Hardees ones, not the PVCs from Tower Records) from his dad.

- Oversized polo shirts

- The New Kids on the Block cartoon on ABC

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/18 at 6:52 pm

I know about eBay. Carlos & I have been selling crap stuff on eBay for over 10 years-but not everything sells. When I heard that Disney VHS tapes were selling high, I was about to list those. My sister and hers didn't really sell-or they didn't sell very high. And the issue with selling my VHS tapes there is that I'm not too sure I am ready to part with many of my tapes-some are on the rare side-like Weird Al's UHF movie.

The collector's conundrum. What to do with old technology? I too have many VHS tapes I do not want to part with. Many are rare, sometimes even one of a kind. Concerts that were filmed, etc. It would be an all consuming task to convert these (I specifically did not use the word "upgrade") to current technology. And just think, if I HAD transferred all these to DVD, which came after VHS, now the DVDs would be outdated technology! It never ends. So I just keep them and occasionally watch them and hope I always have a machine that can play them. People are so anxious to IMMEDIATELY dump their old technology the SECOND something new comes along. This is exactly what people did when first cassettes, and then more importantly CDs, replaced the vinyl LP. Everybody got rid of their albums! Not me. No way. Now it seems every person who so hastily dumped their beloved albums wishes they still had them.

One solution to the VHS problem is I have put them into large plastic tubs with lids of the type that can be purchased in hardware stores, etc, and pushed two of the tubs together and placed two on top of those. I covered them with a really nice Indian style cloth and now this storage unit doubles as a decorative table. Nice!  If I ever want to watch one of the tapes I just take off the cloth and fish out the tape.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/18 at 7:05 pm

The collector's conundrum. What to do with old technology? I too have many VHS tapes I do not want to part with. Many are rare, sometimes even one of a kind. Concerts that were filmed, etc. It would be an all consuming task to convert these (I specifically did not use the word "upgrade") to current technology. And just think, if I HAD transferred all these to DVD, which came after VHS, now the DVDs would be outdated technology! It never ends. So I just keep them and occasionally watch them and hope I always have a machine that can play them. People are so anxious to IMMEDIATELY dump their old technology the SECOND something new comes along. This is exactly what people did when first cassettes, and then more importantly CDs, replaced the vinyl LP. Everybody got rid of their albums! Not me. No way. Now it seems every person who so hastily dumped their beloved albums wishes they still had them.

One solution to the VHS problem is I have put them into large plastic tubs with lids of the type that can be purchased in hardware stores, etc, and pushed two of the tubs together and placed two on top of those. I covered them with a really nice Indian style cloth and now this storage unit doubles as a decorative table. Nice!  If I ever want to watch one of the tapes I just take off the cloth and fish out the tape.  8)

What is interesting is vinyl is making a comeback. Even though I don't play my records, I couldn't part with them.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/25/18 at 10:51 pm

...My mom decorated our kitchen with ducks.  Ducks were BIG in decor in the late 80's and 1990 ...

Indeed - at the time my kitchen (living in my own place) had oak cabinets, and I picked blue for an accent, with lots of - you guessed it - little blue ducks.  (Or white ducks with blue ribbons, hearts, etc.)  All those ducks were really cute!  (I did eventually get tired of them, but they were with me for quite a while.)  ;D

Written By: annimal on 08/25/18 at 11:45 pm

Freak A Zoid

Written By: Howard on 08/26/18 at 4:10 pm

What is interesting is vinyl is making a comeback. Even though I don't play my records, I couldn't part with them.

Cat

So you still have your Victrola?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/18 at 6:10 pm

Nothing. Literally, nothing!  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/18 at 6:20 pm

I'm not sure anyone has had a Victrola since the 1920s. Except as a curiosity or something. But, yes, many people maintain working turntables to play records, myself included. In the 70s (and beyond) we called them "stereo systems" or "sound systems" which generally included components such as receiver, turntable and speakers, plus maybe a tape deck.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 09/01/18 at 10:16 pm

Did 90 feel much different from 89?

1989 (Last year of the ‘80s/Last Late ‘80s Year)

“Finally! Death to the eighties!”

Hot shows: Thirtysomething, The Wonder Years, Married with Children, Roseanne, A Different World, Empty Nest, 21 Jump Street

Shows still being watched: The Cosby Show, Growing Pains, Who’s the Boss, Perfect Strangers, Designing Women, The Golden Girls, ALF, Night Court, Amen

New fashion: Tribal print sweaters, Batman logo shirts, Malcolm X tees, International News clothes, Stussy, Girbaud, International baggage muscle pants, Skidz pants, American flag shirts, cropped jean jackets, dresses with shorts underneath, Reebok Pumps, Body Glove, Ellesse sneakers

New artists: Milli Vanilli (holdover from ‘88), Soul 2 Soul (holdover from ‘88), De La Soul (holdover from ‘88), NWA, Tone Loc, Young MC

Old artists we were listening to: Gloria Estefan, The Jets, Anita Baker, Motley Crüe, The Bangles, Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown

Movies: Batman ‘89, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, The Little Mermaid, Do the Right Thing, Say Anything

Trends: I.O.U. sweaters, fanny packs, Friendship bracelets, Smiley face merchandise, big buttons, hologram glasses, Fro Yo, Pentech Grip Stix, Rock N Flowers

New Toys on the market: Gameboy, Sega Genesis, Wizard of Oz action figures, The New Adventures of He-Man, DC Superheroes, Polly Pocket

Hair: Big hair, Assymetrical haircuts, Mullets, Gumby haircuts, High Top Fade, Hair carvings, Hair tattoos

1990 (First Year of the ‘90s/ Start of the Early 1990s)

“It’s the ‘90s now!”

“It’s still the ‘80s! What?! I know things cannot be like this forever.”

Hot shows: The Arsenio Hall Show, America’s Funniest Home Videos, Doogie Howser MD, Quantum Leap, Full House, Roseanne, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Coach

Shows still being watched: Cheers (Rebecca years), Empty Nest, A Different World, In the Heat of the Night, Married with Children, Ducktales

New Fashion: The Simpsons shirts, Lambada shirts, Three Stooges shirts, Zubaz shirts, Cross Colors, B.U.M. Equipment, Michael Hoban, Jumpman jump suits, College football and basketball team sweatshirts, Umbro, bandanas, Guess Jeans stripped shirts, Raiders ‘Real Men Wear Black’ shirts, Carhartt, Hugo Boss, Earth Day ‘90 shirts, It’s a Black Thing you Wouldn’t Understand shirts, Dick Tracy shirts, Bo Knows logo shirts, Neon and black ski jackets, Ewing sneakers

New artists: Mariah Carey, En Vogue, Bell Biv Devoe, Nelson, Wilson Philips, Alias

Old artists we were listening to: Technotronic, Michael Bolton, MC Hammer, Public Enemy, Queen Latifah, Sinéad O Connor, Paula Abdul, NWA, Soul 2 Soul, Kid N Play, Al B Sure

Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pretty Woman, Goodfellas, Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, Misery, Total Recall, Dances with Wolves

Trends: Slap bracelets, Mini Koosh balls, Wrist packs, Mini viewers, Cross necklaces, Large neon clackers, Limpies, Shirts with geckos in sexual positions, the Electric Slide, Black sneakers, Baggy Jeans, Dog tags, Clamshell necklaces, Overalls with one strap down, NASA shirts, Keith Harring shirts, Mandela shirts, orange anything, Hi-Tec boots, Duck Head shirts, Bugle Boy jeans, Stripped and Two Tone Hoodies, Embroidered hats

New Toys on the Market: Tonka Wrestling Buddies, Marvel Superheroes, The Power Drencher (Super Soaker), Monster in my Pocket, Beetlejuice action figures, New Kids on the Block dolls, Galoob Game Genie, Hot Keyz, Tyco Quints, Atari Lynx, The Dark Knight Collection

Hair: Straight hair (like Winnie Cooper), Flattops, High Top Fade, Short hair on men, Mall bangs on women, High hair, Rattails, Side Ponytails, Hair carvings

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/18 at 12:41 pm

A Victrola is an antique record player that you have to wind up by hand. They usually play 78s. My great-grandfather had one that is now in my sister's custody. As for my 33s & 45s, I do have a few turntables to play them on but none are set up at the moment.

Cat

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/04/18 at 1:03 pm

1989 was the year that Samuel L Jackson was in MARRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO

Written By: Howard on 09/04/18 at 2:10 pm

A Victrola is an antique record player that you have to wind up by hand. They usually play 78s. My great-grandfather had one that is now in my sister's custody. As for my 33s & 45s, I do have a few turntables to play them on but none are set up at the moment.

Cat

How does it sound?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/18 at 3:27 pm

How does it sound?

I'm assuming you mean the Victrola. I haven't heard it in DECADES. What I remember was it was pretty tinny, and most of the records we played on it was pretty scratched up so there were pops and such.

Cat

Written By: exodus08 on 09/10/18 at 11:16 pm

I was born in May 1990 and my Biological Father died in July 1990.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/03/18 at 10:25 pm

1989                      1990

- Girbauds are new        - Girbauds are
                                    worn baggy for the
                                      first time by AAs

- The Noid and Spuds    - Bo Knows shirts
Mackenzie are on shirts.

- Hit kids shows: PW’s    - Hit kids shows:
Playhouse/Double Dare    TMNT

- Bush 41 has high        - “Bushlips” is said
approval rating.              by college students
                                    everywhere. It     
                                    means someone is 
                                    a liar.

- Jane Pauley is still      - Jane Pauley got
on The Today Show.        “Norvilled”.

- Carson and Letterman  -Arsenio takes over
are popular.

- Rappers: Run DMC/    - Rappers: Public
Beastie Boys.                Enemy/ Kid N Play/
                                  MC Hammer

- Fads: Batman shirts/  - Fads: Bart
International News        Simpson shirts/
clothes/ Fanny packs/    Umbros/ Ewing
Skidz pants/Jordan        sneakers/ 8 Ball
apparel/                        jackets/bandanas/
Tribal surfer shirts/          Dick Tracy shirts/
Friendship bracelets/        Slap bracelets/
Ellesse sneakers/            Dog tags/ Bolero
Stussy clothes/                jackets/ Lambada
Cropped jean jackets/      shirts

-Clothes: Top Gun shirts/  Clothes: Raiders
Roger Rabbit shirts/          shirts/ Nike
IOU sweaters/                  shirts/ Debbie
Levi 501 Jeans shirts/      Gibson hats/
Turtlenecks/                    Blazers/
Pastel tops/                    Sun Ice jackets/
Vision Street Wear gear/  Biker shorts/
Coca Cola Rugby shirts/    Z. Cavaricci/
Real Ghostbusters shirts.  Airbrushed
                                      clothing

- Julia Roberts and          - Pretty Woman
Macaulay Culkin are        and Home Alone
unknowns.                      change everything
                                      for Julia Roberts
                                      and Macaulay
                                      Culkin

- America’s Favorite      - America’s Favorite
Artists: Gloria Estefan,  Artists: Paula Abdul,
The Jets, Bobby Brown,  Michael Bolton,
Whitney Houston,            Milli Vanilli, Soul
George Michael,              II Soul, New Kids
Mike and the Mechanics,    on the Block,
Bon Jovi                          Roxette, Warrant

- Late 80s Shows:          -Early 90s Shows:
The Cosby Show,            A Different World
Designing Women,            Full House
The Golden Girls,              Roseanne
Growing Pains,                Quantum Leap
Small Wonder                Saved by the Bell

- Hit New Shows:          Hit New Shows:
21 Jump Street,          Doggie Howser MD,
Empty Nest,                Seinfeld Chronicles,
The Wonder Years,      America’s Funniest
Married with Children  Home Videos, Twin
                                  Peaks

- Late 80s films            - Early 90s Films
from 1989:                      from 1990:
Dream a Little Dream,    Child’s Play 2,
Indiana Jones and the    Die Hard 2,
Last Crusade,                Young Guns 2,
Back to the Future 2        Ernest Goes to Jail

- Hot Rentals:              - Hot Rentals:
Ghostbusters,          Bill and Ted’s Excellent
Beetlejuice,            Adventure, The Little
Karate Kid 2            Mermaid, Uncle Buck

- Hair: BIG hair,      - Hair: Rattails, Cut-outs
Permed hair,        (Hair tattoos), Hi Top
Gelled hair,          Fades, Highlights in hair,
Mike Tyson            Crimped Hair, Mall bangs
hairstyle

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/10/19 at 5:24 am

Listening to stuff like Easy E and Young MC. 90210 was huge. Going on my first date. Janet Jackson’s song Love Will Never Do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 9:53 am

Our summer holiday to the South West Coast

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 4:42 pm

Listening to stuff like Easy E and Young MC. 90210 was huge. Going on my first date. Janet Jackson’s song Love Will Never Do.

90210 was huge?
Janet Jackson’s “Love Will Never Do” was on the radio and MTV?

You’re confusing 1990 for 1991.

The Simpsons, Total Recall, and Bell Biv Devoe are what I remember 1990 for.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/21/19 at 2:12 am

90210 was huge?
Janet Jackson’s “Love Will Never Do” was on the radio and MTV?

You’re confusing 1990 for 1991.

The Simpsons, Total Recall, and Bell Biv Devoe are what I remember 1990 for.

Rhythm Nation was released in 89, 90210 started in 90

Written By: Retrolover on 06/21/19 at 8:20 am

Rhythm Nation was released in 89, 90210 started in 90

The single “Love will Never Do” was released in October of 1990, but it was on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in January of 1991.

Beverly Hills, 90210 premiered in late 1990 and became a big hit in the summer of 1991.

It is possible that you could have been listening to Rhythm Nation on your Walkman while watching an early first season episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 in the fall of 1990…Pop culturally speaking, “Love will Never Do” by Janet Jackson and Beverly Hills, 90210 are so 1991.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/21/19 at 5:17 pm

I remember I had a bunch of shirts and tops with shoulder pads.  In the winter I always grabbed for my stirrup pants.  They were great with those short tie-up ankle boots.  And lots of oversized chunky sweaters!  :)

Written By: annimal on 06/21/19 at 5:23 pm

In my opinion the music started sucking

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/21/19 at 10:31 pm

The single “Love will Never Do” was released in October of 1990, but it was on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in January of 1991.

Beverly Hills, 90210 premiered in late 1990 and became a big hit in the summer of 1991.

It is possible that you could have been listening to Rhythm Nation on your Walkman while watching an early first season episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 in the fall of 1990…Pop culturally speaking, “Love will Never Do” by Janet Jackson and Beverly Hills, 90210 are so 1991.

Is it possible I watched an episode of 90210 in December 1990, then afterwards listened to Love Will Never Do on the Rhythm Nation CD while driving in my car later that night?

Written By: Retrolover on 06/21/19 at 11:41 pm

Is it possible I watched an episode of 90210 in December 1990, then afterwards listened to Love Will Never Do on the Rhythm Nation CD while driving in my car later that night?

Anything is Possible!

In December of 1990, I was watching TV spots for Home Alone while being blown away by the music video for “Do the Bartman”.

Written By: nally on 11/03/22 at 11:08 pm

- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles syndicated cartoon, action figures (April and Shredder were the hardest to find at the time), Mirage comic book, and first film.

- Full House, the second season of Family Matters, and Perfect Strangers

- Murphy Brown CBS promos

- The Simpsons dolls and kids meal toys at Burger King/ popularity of Bartman t-shirts (I had the second one with Bart dressed in a black mask and cape from the fall of 1990).

- Simpsons merchandise everywhere from October to December.

All of these.

Subject: What do you remember about 1990?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/04/22 at 9:49 am

I remember these movies coming out I love

1) Hard to Kill
2) The Abyss
3) The hunt for red october

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/22 at 12:14 pm

The release of the film "Ghost", a film I can easily watch again.

...and because of it's use in the soundtrack the re-emergence in the charts of the song "Unchained Melody".

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/04/22 at 2:01 pm

Movies: Total Recall, Days of Thunder, TMNT, Dick Tracy, Ducktales the Movie, Problem Child, Ghost, Goodfellas, Dances With Wolves, Misery, Kindergarten Cop, Home Alone, The Forbidden Dance

TV shows: Twin Peaks, The Simpsons, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, In Living Color

Music: Eurohouse like Technotronic, Black Box, and Snap; pop rap like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice; adult contemporary pop like Wilson Phillips and Michael Bolton; last of 80's hair metal like Warrant's "Cherry Pie", AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", Poison's "Unskinny Bop"; alternative like Depeche Mode and Sinead O'Conner

Gaming and other trends: Super Mario Bros 3, slap bracelets, Simpsons T-shirts, WWF era with Hulk Hogan, the Life Alert commercials which started the catchphrase "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

News events: The Persian Gulf conflict

Personal life: Going from 5th grade (elementary school) to 6th (middle school) having behavioral issues and having to see a psychiatrist and getting placed in special ed. Also my grandfather on my mother's side passed away.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/04/22 at 11:04 pm

I was pretty checked out on the pop culture front by 1990.

But on the personal front, I was in a really good place!  I turned 30.  I had many new friends - several at work (my work project had a massive turnover just before that) plus several at church (churchgoing was new to me; I started getting heavily involved with their amazing singles' ministry).  Plus some old friends, too.  At that time, people interacted either in person or else over a landline.  This was "normal".  And fun!

I'm not sure if it was 1990 or 1991, but I remember going to see Heart at the Rosemont arena with work friends.  There were seven (?) of us stuffed into my boss' mini-van.  (He was a really cool boss!)  The show Heart put on was good.  But one thing that seriously detracted is, there were several people smoking right around us, and it was hard not to gag all night.  (This wasn't the first time I felt affected by smoking at a concert.)  1990 was before the state passed the indoor smoking ban, so we didn't have much standing to complain.  But it was just hard to fully enjoy the show in that environment.  I guess the ones who could really enjoy it were the smokers.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 11/05/22 at 2:01 pm

Personal life: Going from 5th grade (elementary school) to 6th (middle school) having behavioral issues and having to see a psychiatrist and getting placed in special ed. Also my grandfather on my mother's side passed away.

You must had been one year ahead of me in school. I was in 4th grade during the first half of the year, and 5th grade in the second half of the year. This was at two different elementary schools; and like you, I was also placed in special ed starting in the 5th grade.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/22 at 2:08 pm

You must had been one year ahead of me in school. I was in 4th grade during the first half of the year, and 5th grade in the second half of the year. This was at two different elementary schools; and like you, I was also placed in special ed starting in the 5th grade.

I was also placed in Special Ed in 1990, some Special Ed and some Mainstream.

Written By: nally on 11/05/22 at 2:11 pm

I had a mix of that too. However, when I started the 5th grade in September of 1990, it was all special ed. By the middle of the school year (February 1991) I mainstreamed into regular math and did well.

Let's see...you were a junior in highschool that year?

Written By: Howard on 11/05/22 at 2:47 pm

I had a mix of that too. However, when I started the 5th grade in September of 1990, it was all special ed. By the middle of the school year (February 1991) I mainstreamed into regular math and did well.

Yes I was.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/06/22 at 1:43 pm

I was pretty checked out on the pop culture front by 1990.

But on the personal front, I was in a really good place!  I turned 30.  I had many new friends - several at work (my work project had a massive turnover just before that) plus several at church (churchgoing was new to me; I started getting heavily involved with their amazing singles' ministry).  Plus some old friends, too.  At that time, people interacted either in person or else over a landline.  This was "normal".  And fun!

I'm not sure if it was 1990 or 1991, but I remember going to see Heart at the Rosemont arena with work friends.  There were seven (?) of us stuffed into my boss' mini-van.  (He was a really cool boss!)  The show Heart put on was good.  But one thing that seriously detracted is, there were several people smoking right around us, and it was hard not to gag all night.  (This wasn't the first time I felt affected by smoking at a concert.)  1990 was before the state passed the indoor smoking ban, so we didn't have much standing to complain.  But it was just hard to fully enjoy the show in that environment.  I guess the ones who could really enjoy it were the smokers.  :-\\

For my 30th birthday, I wanted one thing and one thing only. I wanted flowers. I didn't care what kind of flowers or even who gave the flowers. But that was the only thing I wanted. So, what did my significant other at the time give me? A male stripper.  ::) (And he wasn't even that good.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/22 at 1:45 pm

For my 30th birthday, I wanted one thing and one thing only. I wanted flowers. I didn't care what kind of flowers or even who gave the flowers. But that was the only thing I wanted. So, what did my significant other at the time give me? A male stripper.  ::) (And he wasn't even that good.)

Cat
Could he have been better at arranging flowers for you? http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/nov5th/grin.gif

Written By: Howard on 11/06/22 at 2:57 pm

Cat

Why would he give you a male stripper? :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/06/22 at 3:51 pm

I started mainstream in one class and eventually two in my 6th grade year, and then more in 7th grade and by 8th grade I was pretty much full time mainstream, then back to regular school my freshmen year of high school but with one class that's considered special ed (93 level) and some guidance. From 10th grade on I was full on back to regular classes with even some advanced ones.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/06/22 at 4:03 pm

Cat

:o

Flowers would've been cheaper!  (Probably ;D)  In my one experience with a male stripper (a bachelorette party) he was a bit creepy...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/06/22 at 6:41 pm

Flowers would've been cheaper!  (Probably ;D)  In my one experience with a male stripper (a bachelorette party) he was a bit creepy...

The whole day was NOT what I had hoped. He dragged me off with him because he had a business meeting. He left me at a bar somewhere with a friend of his while he took care of that business. He was gone a lot longer than he said he was going to be. When he FINALLY returned, we went back to my place but he REALLY, REALLY wanted me to go to my neighbors who we were friendly with. I was tired and irritated but I went. I knew something was up because they sat me down in a certain chair and another neighbor (who we were also friendly with) came by, too. Then the guy came out of their kitchen and started dancing. I think he danced to "Hurt so Good" which isn't one of my favorite songs and his "costume" was a bit...um-not too sure how to describe it. And it looked like he was trying to have green camo make up on which made him looked...um...not attractive that's for sure.

The guy hightailed out of there when he was done with his dance. Our neighbors said that he almost left because we were so late and he had another engagement-NOT MY FAULT! All in all, I have to say that my 30th birthday was memorable that's for sure but I was NOT a happy camper. I would have to say that my 30th birthday sucked.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/06/22 at 9:42 pm

The whole day was NOT what I had hoped. He dragged me off with him because he had a business meeting. He left me at a bar somewhere with a friend of his while he took care of that business. He was gone a lot longer than he said he was going to be. When he FINALLY returned, we went back to my place but he REALLY, REALLY wanted me to go to my neighbors who we were friendly with. I was tired and irritated but I went. I knew something was up because they sat me down in a certain chair and another neighbor (who we were also friendly with) came by, too. Then the guy came out of their kitchen and started dancing. I think he danced to "Hurt so Good" which isn't one of my favorite songs and his "costume" was a bit...um-not too sure how to describe it. And it looked like he was trying to have green camo make up on which made him looked...um...not attractive that's for sure.

The guy hightailed out of there when he was done with his dance. Our neighbors said that he almost left because we were so late and he had another engagement-NOT MY FAULT! All in all, I have to say that my 30th birthday was memorable that's for sure but I was NOT a happy camper. I would have to say that my 30th birthday sucked.

Cat

Bummer.  Sorry it went like that  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/07/22 at 2:58 am

I started mainstream in one class and eventually two in my 6th grade year, and then more in 7th grade and by 8th grade I was pretty much full time mainstream, then back to regular school my freshmen year of high school but with one class that's considered special ed (93 level) and some guidance. From 10th grade on I was full on back to regular classes with even some advanced ones.

What classes did you take?

Written By: Howard on 11/07/22 at 2:59 am

What was creepy about him?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/07/22 at 8:58 am

Hmmm, you had to be there  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/22 at 9:00 am

In one sense, I do not wish to ask.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/22 at 12:01 pm

Bummer.  Sorry it went like that  :(

Thanks. We had a very strange relationship. When we first got together, we both needed someone. Then when that need was no longer there, it was hard to break away. I had this image of me with one arm pushing him away and with the other holding him back. People used to ask if we were going to get married. We said yes but not to each other. We knew if we ever did get married we would end up killing each other-and it came pretty close at times. He once said that he would THINK of marrying me but only if I got rid of my cats (he was allergic). So, I got rid of him instead.  :D ;D ;D  He once brought flowers to a classmate of mine that he met once. But, he couldn't get them for me? He also put me a several situations that I was not very comfortable in (like being in a bar with a friend of his who I didn't know for hours on my birthday). I could tell you a bunch of hair-raising stories.  :o

Actually, he fell off the face of the earth. People were calling me looking for him and I didn't have a clue. He talked about dropping out of society so when he disappeared, I didn't worry. In fact, the last time I saw him, he handed back my keys that I didn't ask for and said that he would try to contact me. There was something about the look in his eye but at the time I didn't question it. It was almost like going cold turkey from an addiction. I would have dreams about him that were so vivid. I used to think that he was still out there somewhere but now, I don't think so. He had a tendency of bringing out the worst in people (I know from my own experience). He could walk into a room and people would go ballistic. It was weird.

It took me a while for my "addiction" to him to vanish. When his mother was in town visiting his daughter, Carlos & I had just started dating and he was nice enough to drive me to see them (it was about a 2 hour drive and even in those days my driving days were waning). I told Carlos, "Don't think for a second if he came back that I would leave you for him." Carlos said that the thought crossed his mind. I reassured him that there was no way in hell I was going back to that relationship even though I was concerned that he was gone for so long.

BTW, Carlos made my 40th & 50th birthdays (and all others in between) SO MUCH BETTER!

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/07/22 at 12:13 pm

Thanks. We had a very strange relationship. When we first got together, we both needed someone. Then when that need was no longer there, it was hard to break away. I had this image of me with one arm pushing him away and with the other holding him back. People used to ask if we were going to get married. We said yes but not to each other. We knew if we ever did get married we would end up killing each other-and it came pretty close at times. He once said that he would THINK of marrying me but only if I got rid of my cats (he was allergic). So, I got rid of him instead.  :D ;D ;D  He once brought flowers to a classmate of mine that he met once. But, he couldn't get them for me? He also put me a several situations that I was not very comfortable in (like being in a bar with a friend of his who I didn't know for hours on my birthday). I could tell you a bunch of hair-raising stories.  :o

Actually, he fell off the face of the earth. People were calling me looking for him and I didn't have a clue. He talked about dropping out of society so when he disappeared, I didn't worry. In fact, the last time I saw him, he handed back my keys that I didn't ask for and said that he would try to contact me. There was something about the look in his eye but at the time I didn't question it. It was almost like going cold turkey from an addiction. I would have dreams about him that were so vivid. I used to think that he was still out there somewhere but now, I don't think so. He had a tendency of bringing out the worst in people (I know from my own experience). He could walk into a room and people would go ballistic. It was weird.

It took me a while for my "addiction" to him to vanish. When his mother was in town visiting his daughter, Carlos & I had just started dating and he was nice enough to drive me to see them (it was about a 2 hour drive and even in those days my driving days were waning). I told Carlos, "Don't think for a second if he came back that I would leave you for him." Carlos said that the thought crossed his mind. I reassured him that there was no way in hell I was going back to that relationship even though I was concerned that he was gone for so long.

BTW, Carlos made my 40th & 50th birthdays (and all others in between) SO MUCH BETTER!

Cat

That's rough, about your earlier relationship.  I'm so glad you ended up with someone nice!  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/07/22 at 2:12 pm

OK, AG Maybe it's best I don't ask.  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/08/22 at 11:20 am

In one sense, I do not wish to ask.

OK, AG Maybe it's best I don't ask.  ;D

O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/08/22 at 8:08 pm

I borrowed the following quote from "Suddenly its 1960 -- What would you miss?"

I am working on a project about a theatre that I worked at. It originally opened in 1948 and put in air conditioning in 1949. Even in the '80s (when I worked there) the ads for either the plays or movies (which they showed both there) all said, "Air Conditioning."

Cat

Chicagoland's summer 1990 had a couple serious scorcher days.  On July 4, I was due to accompany about 10 friends to a fireworks display in a nearby suburb.  However, on that particular day the mercury hit 99F, and I lost my desire to be outside, so I begged off.  Now, my home is off and on plagued by sub-par air conditioning, so that option didn't appeal either.  I had a brainstorm - there was a brand new movie theater which just opened about a mile from my home so I decided, why not take in a movie?  So I went to the movies on July 4th.  The theater felt comfy from the start.  I noticed there was only one other person in that theater.  He left.  So I had the entire theater to myself.  (Not a tiny place, it likely seated 100 or more.)  I enjoyed my "private" movie.  The movie was Betsy's Wedding.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/08/22 at 8:45 pm

That was the year I learned how important seatbelts were. I was 4 and my father always put me on the arm rest of his old Chevy Impala and one day he made a quick stop and I flew into the windshield. Still have the scar.  :o
Mom tried to kill him lol

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/08/22 at 9:08 pm

That was the year I learned how important seatbelts were. I was 4 and my father always put me on the arm rest of his old Chevy Impala and one day he made a quick stop and I flew into the windshield. Still have the scar.  :o

Oh my!  :o  Glad you made it through that

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/08/22 at 9:21 pm

Oh my!  :o  Glad you made it through that

Thanks. And no one can see the scar unless they're really hunting. My hair usually hides it now.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/22 at 7:03 am

Wow, thank god you're OK.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/22 at 2:13 pm

OH WOW!!!!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/22 at 5:23 pm

I borrowed the following quote from "Suddenly its 1960 -- What would you miss?"

Chicagoland's summer 1990 had a couple serious scorcher days.  On July 4, I was due to accompany about 10 friends to a fireworks display in a nearby suburb.  However, on that particular day the mercury hit 99F, and I lost my desire to be outside, so I begged off.  Now, my home is off and on plagued by sub-par air conditioning, so that option didn't appeal either.  I had a brainstorm - there was a brand new movie theater which just opened about a mile from my home so I decided, why not take in a movie?  So I went to the movies on July 4th.  The theater felt comfy from the start.  I noticed there was only one other person in that theater.  He left.  So I had the entire theater to myself.  (Not a tiny place, it likely seated 100 or more.)  I enjoyed my "private" movie.  The movie was Betsy's Wedding.

Having your own "private" theatre-how cool is THAT?! (No pun intended lol.)

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/10/22 at 7:38 am

Another thing I remember about 1990 was my family being victims of crimes (petty crimes). They've gotten their license plate stolen once, and there was another incident in which a lady slashed a tire of my dad's car over a parking dispute at a waterslide park that summer. Also due to the uncertainty of the economy as we were going into a recession, we didn't take any fun and exciting vacations like we did in the previous years, just some local day trips. A few good memories of the year included a school trip up to the Smokies in Tennessee, and some field trips with the 4-H camp that summer.

Written By: nally on 11/18/22 at 12:03 am

Similarly, I also mainstreamed in two class subjects in my 6th grade year: math and English. Then when I got to middle school I also mainstreamed in math and English, but I still had other subjects special ed. High school, I only had up to one special ed class per year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/18/22 at 7:41 am

Similarly, I also mainstreamed in two class subjects in my 6th grade year: math and English. Then when I got to middle school I also mainstreamed in math and English, but I still had other subjects special ed. High school, I only had up to one special ed class per year.

I started off with social studies and then science in my 6th grade year, then in 7th grade it was those two plus PE and Unified Arts (which includes classes like music, business, art, and home ec). 8th grade I was full time mainstreaming except for Reading.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/01/22 at 11:00 am

I remember first seeing the trailer when this came out. Still one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time (2nd favorite after A Christmas Story), and I watch it every year.

jEDaVHmw7r4

Written By: Howard on 12/01/22 at 3:25 pm

I remember first seeing the trailer when this came out. Still one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time (2nd favorite after A Christmas Story), and I watch it every year.

jEDaVHmw7r4

I love the original too. O0

Written By: nally on 12/04/22 at 10:13 pm

I love the original too. O0

I didn't actually see this one when it was newly in theaters...but I saw ads for it on the TV frequently.

For the record, I watched it for the first time on VHS... a little more than a year later.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/05/22 at 3:22 pm

I didn't actually see this one when it was newly in theaters...but I saw ads for it on the TV frequently.

For the record, I watched it for the first time on VHS... a little more than a year later.

Same. I think it was the Christmas season of 1991 when I first saw it. This might be a false memory but I feel like the "Keep A-Knocking" song by Little Richard (which was also in the trailer) was playing at the end credits in the VHS version. The DVD and streaming versions have the instrumental "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". Maybe the rights to that song which would make sense.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/13/22 at 7:32 am

I remember this being my favorite song around this time in 1990.

i1gbn2vUaBw

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/23 at 7:26 pm

I just remembered this:

xc8foK41qmo

Written By: nally on 01/02/23 at 7:40 pm

Same. I think it was the Christmas season of 1991 when I first saw it. This might be a false memory but I feel like the "Keep A-Knocking" song by Little Richard (which was also in the trailer) was playing at the end credits in the VHS version. The DVD and streaming versions have the instrumental "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". Maybe the rights to that song which would make sense.

Hmm, I don't remember that part. In fact, I don't remember much about the soundtrack. I've seen it on tv plenty of times and basically know the plot sequence.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/23 at 6:54 am

I just remembered this:

xc8foK41qmo

I remember this. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/23 at 6:57 am

jEDaVHmw7r4
Can we ever forget this film?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/23 at 11:02 am

I remember this. O0

That song/video was released in late 1990 as a promo (I think it was right after a Simpsons episode). It was however in early 1991 when I purchased the album The Simpsons Sing the Blues on cassette.

Hmm, I don't remember that part. In fact, I don't remember much about the soundtrack. I've seen it on tv plenty of times and basically know the plot sequence.

Might have just been a mixed up memory. Anyhow I was listening to the soundtrack over the holidays on Spotify. I really love the instrumentals by John Williams such as the main theme, and also the sample of the classic from The Nutcracker during the scenes when the family was scrambling (either at home in a rush to get ready or when they arrived in Paris after realizing they left Kevin behind). I also like the church scene when the music transitioned from the choir singing "Carol of the Bells" to a faster instrumental version as Kevin rushes to get home and set the traps for the burglars (another great aspect of the film, the Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern combo).

Written By: Howard on 01/03/23 at 1:23 pm

Can we ever forget this film?

Home Alone is funny yet enjoyable at the same time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/23 at 3:14 pm

Home Alone is funny yet enjoyable at the same time.

Everything about that movie is great! It provides comfort, which is why I watch it every year around Christmas. It's almost tied with A Christmas Story as my favorite Christmas movie of all time. The one scene at the end when the neighbor Old Man Marley reunites with his estranged son always makes me feel emotional.

Written By: nally on 01/03/23 at 11:59 pm

Might have just been a mixed up memory. Anyhow I was listening to the soundtrack over the holidays on Spotify. I really love the instrumentals by John Williams such as the main theme, and also the sample of the classic from The Nutcracker during the scenes when the family was scrambling (either at home in a rush to get ready or when they arrived in Paris after realizing they left Kevin behind). I also like the church scene when the music transitioned from the choir singing "Carol of the Bells" to a faster instrumental version as Kevin rushes to get home and set the traps for the burglars (another great aspect of the film, the Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern combo).

Yep, I remember all those musical pieces in the film. The "Carol of the Bells" is performed by the choir of kids in the church as Kevin goes inside it...and they continue singing additional Christmas music as he talks with his neighbor.

Also on the night of the 23rd, the holiday pop song "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee plays as Kevin decorates the inside of his house to fool Harry & Marv, making it look like the house is full of people to them.

4YzdSpwNs30

Check for new replies or respond here...