inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 90s music

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/19/18 at 2:16 pm

Just like the previous topic, I've noticed over the years the only genre that gets discussed is the Teen pop. It seems like people don't remember that there was more to the late 90s music era than just that particular genre. Now, I honestly don't mind much of the teen pop that was popular throughout that period, but one can't forget the Hip-hop, R&B, pop-punk, Alt-female rock, country, Adult contemporary and Latin tracks that dominated the scene as well. I can't quite understand how people have forgotten the other genres in a sense. I mean, the 90s had a massive diversity full of music right?

Subject: Re: Late 90s music

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/19/18 at 5:43 pm

Another genre that was famed in the late 90s or Y2K era was atmospheric techno-type music.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 7:19 pm

Another genre that was famed in the late 90s or Y2K era was atmospheric techno-type music.
You know, I was going to add that genre into the discussion, but I wasn't entirely sure if it was more of a Y2K thing.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 7:24 pm

idk people seem to do this with every year. They only acknowledge one genre.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 7:28 pm

IDK. People seem to do this with every year. They only acknowledge one genre.
I'm honestly starting to realize that. Just look at how tons of people group 1999 and 2000 regarding music as the Teen pop craze while overlooking the other genres.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/24/18 at 6:58 am

Nu Metal was the major rock genre of the time, but doesn't get the love it deserves since this is more of the "hip hop" generation, even though itself had quite a following, almost as big as grunge in the early-mid '90s. There was a lot of crossover country (Faith Hill, Shania Twain), pop like Ray Of Light-era Madonna, the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, Third Eye Blind, and in 1999, a lot of latino pop. Hip hop was in its "glam" stage, but seems to get a poor following since its post-gangsta, but pre-snap, but this was when Jay-Z and Eminem got their starts. The "techno" you were talking about was electronica, shortly followed by trance, which was quite distinct from the more "house" sounds early in the '90s along with the eurodance in the middle of the decade. Xennials did get a lot of cool music choices while in high school at the time, and even liking classic '70s acts, including yes, disco acts like The Village People, wasn't that disliked.

Other eras that get affected alot include the late '70s (disco), late '80s (hair metal), and the late '00s-early '10s (electropop), where a certain genre gets pigeonholed in.

Written By: J. Rob on 08/10/18 at 11:25 am

The late 90s definitely feels like the forgotten era of "Urban" music (Hip Hop and R&B). Early Jay-Z, early Eminem, Nas, DMX, Cash Money Records, No Limit Records, Busta Rhymes, Lauryn Hill, pre "Ms. Jackson" Outkast, Big Pun, The Lox, Eve, Foxy Brown, Lil Kim, Wu Tang still going strong, Snoop....then in R&B you had Brandy, Monica, Aaliyah, Mary J, R. Kelly, Joe, Toni Braxton, Deborah Cox, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Usher, Jagged Edge, K-Ci and Jo-Jo, Next, Destiny's Child, TLC still going strong, the late SWV era, 702, etc.......all overshadowed by Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney, Christina, etc.....

It was all over the place and it was fun as hell. Urban radio was at it's best IMO from 1998 until about 2001

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 11:55 am

From 1997 to 2002, I definitely listened to hip hop and R&B too!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/10/18 at 12:16 pm

From 1997 to 2002, I definitely listened to hip hop and R&B too!

Yeah I agree. That was one genre that was sorta different from the early & mid years. Hip Hop/Rap went into a more ‘popish’ or mainstream direction after the death of Biggy Smalls. I can’t say I don’t like this era though, especially since it was a God send compared to the garbage Hip Hop/Trap being played on the radio now. Don’t even get me started on SoundCloud rappers 8-P. Give me anything Hip Hop/Rap related from the 1990s & 2000s, and I’ll be happy.

Written By: J. Rob on 08/10/18 at 4:56 pm

There was a lot of moderately sucessful but critically acclaimed artists too, mixed in with older acts past their prime but still fairly successful. In Hip Hop.....this crowd Bone Thugs, Tribe Called Quest,  Rakim, Queen Latifah, Da Brat, I forgot Missy Elliot in my last post, Gangstarr, Dogg Pound, Redman, Cypress Hill, Geto Boys (primarily Scarface at this point), Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Heavy D, Will Smith.....in R&B there was Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Micheal Jackson, Janet, Prince, Brain McKnight, Mint Condition, Tony! Toni! Tony,  Montel Jordan, Brownstone, Zhane,  En Vogue,  Boyz II Men,  Chico DeBarge, Changing Faces, Xscape, Dru Hill, Keith Sweat, Gerald Levert, Silk, Ginuwine, etc......so many forgotten but respectable career during this time. It's actually pretty disappointing that they don't get much credit since the competition was so stiff at the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 5:14 pm

Yeah I agree. That was one genre that was sorta different from the early & mid years. Hip Hop/Rap went into a more ‘popish’ or mainstream direction after the death of Biggy Smalls. I can’t say I don’t like this era though, especially since it was a God send compared to the garbage Hip Hop/Trap being played on the radio now. Don’t even get me started on SoundCloud rappers 8-P. Give me anything Hip Hop/Rap related from the 1990s & 2000s, and I’ll be happy.

Teen pop was one of the dominant music genres during that era though, especially 1999 and 2000 (1999 being the peak).  :o

Written By: xris on 08/10/18 at 5:52 pm

Looking back teen pop didn't age well, anyone else? I can't listen to it much now, it sounds like old cheese, not old wine. Too formulaic. Heck, Euro dance aged better. The Rhythm Of The Night by Corona is dated but it's a masterpiece compared to the 2K pop hits. No wonder Bastille did their cover Of The Night. It still sounded good in 2013. 2003-2014 pop aged better, maybe with the excetion of most 2005-2007 songs.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/11/18 at 7:37 pm

Just like the previous topic, I've noticed over the years the only genre that gets discussed is the Teen pop. It seems like people don't remember that there was more to the late 90s music era than just that particular genre. Now, I honestly don't mind much of the teen pop that was popular throughout that period, but one can't forget the Hip-hop, R&B, pop-punk, Alt-female rock, country, Adult contemporary and Latin tracks that dominated the scene as well. I can't quite understand how people have forgotten the other genres in a sense. I mean, the 90s had a massive diversity full of music right?

More specifically, it's either Nirvana, Tupac, Biggie, or late 90s teen pop.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/12/18 at 4:50 pm

The silver age of hip hop (1997-2006) was something people hated at the time, with the big artists like 50 Cent, Ja Rule, and Nelly being considered annoying. Retrospectively though, it came to be more appreciated, because the mainstream sound of the bronze age (2006-2012) had some lower/more significant lows like Soulja Boy which made 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Nelly look like Rakim (not to say all the hip hop then was bad though, other artists like Kanye and Lupe Fiasco were doing well), and inspired Nas to write the Hip Hop Is Dead album.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/13/18 at 2:25 am

Nirvana definitely isn't late '90s. 2Pac and Biggie can sort of count as late '90s, but only for their posthumous hits; both rappers were more primarily at the forefront of the music industry back in the mid-'90s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/13/18 at 10:22 am

Nirvana definitely isn't late '90s. 2Pac and Biggie can sort of count as late '90s, but only for their posthumous hits; both rappers were more primarily at the forefront of the music industry back in the mid-'90s.

I meant the entire 90s. 🙂

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/13/18 at 10:26 am

The silver age of hip hop (1997-2006) was something people hated at the time, with the big artists like 50 Cent, Ja Rule, and Nelly being considered annoying. Retrospectively though, it came to be more appreciated, because the mainstream sound of the bronze age (2006-2012) had some lower/more significant lows like Soulja Boy which made 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Nelly look like Rakim (not to say all the hip hop then was bad though, other artists like Kanye and Lupe Fiasco were doing well), and inspired Nas to write the Hip Hop Is Dead album.

I liked mainstream hip hop between 97-00. After that it got at lot more southern.  I love outkast but the rest is super hit or miss and it's mostly miss imo.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/18 at 8:34 pm

Nu Metal was the major rock genre of the time, but doesn't get the love it deserves since this is more of the "hip hop" generation, even though itself had quite a following, almost as big as grunge in the early-mid '90s. There was a lot of crossover country (Faith Hill, Shania Twain), pop like Ray Of Light-era Madonna, the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, Third Eye Blind, and in 1999, a lot of latino pop. Hip-hop was in its "glam" stage but seems to get a poor following since its post-gangsta, but pre-snap, but this was when Jay-Z and Eminem got their starts. The "techno" you were talking about was electronica, shortly followed by trance, which was quite distinct from the more "house" sounds early in the '90s along with the Eurodance in the middle of the decade. Xennials did get a lot of cool music choices while in high school at the time, and even liking classic '70s acts, including yes, disco acts like The Village People, wasn't that disliked.

Other eras that get affected a lot include the late '70s (disco), late '80s (hair metal), and the late '00s-early '10s (electropop), where a certain genre gets pigeonholed in.

The late 90s definitely feels like the forgotten era of "Urban" music (Hip Hop and R&B). Early Jay-Z, early Eminem, Nas, DMX, Cash Money Records, No Limit Records, Busta Rhymes, Lauryn Hill, pre "Ms. Jackson" Outkast, Big Pun, The Lox, Eve, Foxy Brown, Lil Kim, Wu-Tang still going strong, Snoop....then in R&B you had Brandy, Monica, Aaliyah, Mary J, R. Kelly, Joe, Toni Braxton, Deborah Cox, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Usher, Jagged Edge, K-Ci and Jo-Jo, Next, Destiny's Child, TLC still going strong, the late SWV era, 702, etc.......all overshadowed by Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney, Christina, etc.....

It was all over the place and it was fun as hell. Urban radio was at it's best IMO from 1998 until about 2001
Sorry for the late reply. I just rediscovered this topic and forgot all about it, and I worked non-stop at my job for the past 3 months. OTT, Agreed! It's honestly a shame how so much of the music from the late 90s is forgotten. I always hear and read from people say they despised the songs of that timeframe, due to the overwhelming teen pop titles but they fail to mention the other genres. It's so weird because I remember listening to most late 90s music like it was yesterday and not just teen pop.

You got that right! It sounds like most people don't truly recall how diverse the 90s music scene was. Like how can one forget the R&B, Adult contemporary, and even the non-Grunge Rock music? Grunge and Gangsta Rap may have been popular especially in the mid-90s, but the primary audience for both was young people and even then it depended on one's background. Older people (yes, even older black folks) were definitely not jamming to either sub-genre due to the lyrics and the content they both provided. Plus, the majority of the 90s music on the charts weren't even Grunge and Gangsta Rap anyway, but more like R&B, Adult contemporary, mainstream pop, soft-rock/pop, female alt-rock, Eurodance and much more.

Check for new replies or respond here...