inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Maria of Sesame street a 90's fixture?

Written By: christopher on 07/21/18 at 5:59 pm

I remember her from our local, dubbed Sesame street broadcasts back in 1992-1995. Was she as big a part of your 90's childhood? Was she more 80's or 90's fixture on children TV? Maybe both? To me Maria, along with showings of MJ's Billie Jean and various movies showed me a totally different society where people looked differently. We don't have any Black or Latin people in my country.

I don't remember thinking anything about that which shows children don't discriminate based on race and they are more accepting. Bigotry develops over time by listening to stories, slanted news and unfortunately sometimes due to bad personal experience (a Roma friend stole from me 😒).

Subject: Re: Was Maria of Sesame street a 90's fixture?

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:04 pm

I remember her from our local, dubbed Sesame street broadcasts back in 1992-1995. Was she as big a part of your 90's childhood? Was she more 80's or 90's fixture on children TV? Maybe both? To me Maria, along with showings of MJ's Billie Jean and various movies showed me a totally different society where people looked differently. We don't have any Black or Latin people in my country.

I don't remember thinking anything about that which shows children don't discriminate based on race and they are more accepting. Bigotry develops over time by listening to stories, slanted news and unfortunately sometimes due to bad personal experience (a Roma friend stole from me 😒).

Maria was there for the whole thing until she had to retire and slowly wind down.

Written By: christopher on 07/22/18 at 2:13 pm

Oh great Howard, so I guess millions of other kids grew up with her. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:38 pm

Oh great Howard, so I guess millions of other kids grew up with her. :)

I grew up with her, Linda, Bob, Mr.Hooper, David, Luis, Susan, Gordon and Barkley just to name a few.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/18 at 5:34 am

I also think that David (Northern Calloway) was supposed to be a fixture on Sesame Street, he was the other owner of Mr.Hooper's store after Mr.Hooper died in 1983 but David had died in January 1989. :\'(

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Northern_Calloway.jpg/220px-Northern_Calloway.jpg

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/23/18 at 8:31 am

I sort of see her peak in the late 80's, specifically Seasons 18-20. Her life story was told in the breakdancing episode from Season 16 in early 1985, but Susan was still the first lady of Sesame Street at the time. She had a lot of featured episodes in Season 18 (1986-87), including her sleepover with Elmo, the Count chasing her, and being victim to the Amazing Mumford's trick. Season 19 (1987-88) had the arc with Luis throughout the season as they fell in love and got married at the end of the season, and the following season involved her pregnancy and birth of Gabi to end that season. After a few more featured episodes for Season 21, she sort of was just there for a good part of the '90s with the occasional featured episode.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/23/18 at 2:07 pm

I sort of see her peak in the late 80's, specifically Seasons 18-20. Her life story was told in the breakdancing episode from Season 16 in early 1985, but Susan was still the first lady of Sesame Street at the time. She had a lot of featured episodes in Season 18 (1986-87), including her sleepover with Elmo, the Count chasing her, and being victim to the Amazing Mumford's trick. Season 19 (1987-88) had the arc with Luis throughout the season as they fell in love and got married at the end of the season, and the following season involved her pregnancy and birth of Gabi to end that season. After a few more featured episodes for Season 21, she sort of was just there for a good part of the '90s with the occasional featured episode.

I may be the odd kid out but I was never really big into Sesame Street and SS didn't seem all that big back in the 90s. I mean, it was big in a legacy kind of way but not big in a newness kind of way. No idea who Maria is.

Then again, I was more of a Muppets kid.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/18 at 8:04 am

I may be the odd kid out but I was never really big into Sesame Street and SS didn't seem all that big back in the 90s. I mean, it was big in a legacy kind of way but not big in a newness kind of way. No idea who Maria is.

Then again, I was more of a Muppets kid.

Who is your favorite Muppet?

Check for new replies or respond here...