inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The transition out of the 90's was gradual in 1999

Written By: y2kkid92 on 07/23/18 at 4:23 pm

Just been looking back at the UK official charts and I got to say the year was quite a bit more 90's like than I remembered, in the UK alternative rock was still going pretty strong with Alanis Morissette who's majority of success came in '99 from the release of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie also it was still a very strong year for Whitney Houston with her album "my love is your lover" which again had it's majority of the success of the album came in '99 , I don't think the year 1999 was the height of the y2k era anymore I think that was the year 2000 it's nice to think we were eased out of the 90's gradually and the cultural shift out of the cultural 90's as people think. EDIT I changed the title to breath fresh live into this thread but it's probably too late with my sloppy spelling errors  :-[

Subject: Re: 1999

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/18 at 5:34 pm

I agree! 2000 is the height of the Y2K era (hence the name). 1999 had a lot more 90s music than most people remember. Mariah Carey, Blink-182, Will Smith, Dr. Dre, Lauryn Hill, TLC, Matchbox 20, Celine Dion, Third Eye Blind and Backstreet Boys. If that's not 90s to other people, then I don't know what to say.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/24/18 at 6:21 pm

I agree! 2000 is the height of the Y2K era (hence the name). 1999 had a lot more 90s music than most people remember. Mariah Carey, Blink-182, Will Smith, Dr. Dre, Lauryn Hill, TLC, Matchbox 20, Celine Dion, Third Eye Blind and Backstreet Boys. If that's not 90s to other people, then I don't know what to say.

I think that Third Eye Blind was more of a 1997 thing.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/18 at 6:38 pm

I think that Third Eye Blind was more of a 1997 thing.
You think so? I remember hearing them in 1999 as well as the following year.

Written By: 2001 on 07/29/18 at 8:08 pm

You think so? I remember hearing them in 1999 as well as the following year.

Yep, they were still popular in 2000.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/29/18 at 8:31 pm

Yeah, I've said this for a long time.

Nobody believed me lol.

Written By: y2kkid92 on 07/30/18 at 1:50 pm

Yeah, I've said this for a long time.

Nobody believed me lol.

People confuse the popular bands of the mid 90's such as TLC still being popular in 1999 with still making stylistically mid 90's music all because there were still popular when that obviously isn't the case with fan-mail which had absolutely no G-FUNK influence of crazy sexy cool in late 1994, however , 1999 was still Whitney Houston peak and dare I say STRONGEST year she had 4 singles in the top 20 in the UK's official chart of her album my love is your love, other ballad singers still had solid success just not quite pre-1999 success and definitely NOT the kind  pre-1997  , there are lots of other examples I could make with other artists with a core 90's sound but unfortunately  there doesn't seem to be much of a audience for this thread. 1999 was way more 90's like than 1990

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/30/18 at 4:14 pm

Blink 182 was all over the radio in '99 as were the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync.
I feel it can be broken down like this:

September '98-August '99(Early Y2K era)
September '99-9/11/2001 (Peak Y2K era)

For myself, the spring and summer of '01 was the absolute peak of the Y2K Era. 2002, because of 9/11, the war, and the sudden change in tone of US and world politics, was a VERY different year culturally and probably the bleakest year this century.

Subject: Re: The transition out of the 90's was gradual in 1999

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/18 at 4:47 pm

I believe the definition of the millennium/Y2K era was an even mixture of late 90's culture and early 2000's culture, or the transition from late 90's to early 2000's culture. That's why I believe 1999 and 2000 were the peak Y2K era years, while it started in 1998 but ended in 2001, and after all 1998 is considered the last full year of the late 90's culturally while 2001 is considered as the first full year of the early 2000's culturally. That's how I look at it. Also, when it comes to the Y2K era, it's so easy to just bring up the teen pop music or Pokemon, but there was so much more to the Y2K era too when it came to the hip hop and R&B music artists at the time, the weird era of sports when there wasn't really any dynasty team but a bunch of random teams winning championships at the time (The Rams and Ravens winning the Super Bowl; The Spurs coming out of no where and winning the NBA title when the Jordan era had just ended, etc.), the WWF Attitude Era, an awkward but exciting & transitional time for movies, and the last hurrah for Saturday Morning cartoon blocks while 24 hour kid stations were finally establishing itself. When the Y2K Era first started the internet has just become commercialized and mainstream a few year back but it was still a complete pre-social media world A.K.A. the Web 1.0 era. Oh, and who could forget how different the fashion looked at the time compared to the earlier 90's years? The Y2K Era was filled with a lot of weirdness and strange transitions when you think back, but it was an excellent time pop culturally with a chill vibe, and probably the most underrated classic time period up to date.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/30/18 at 6:01 pm

I believe the definition of the millennium/Y2K era was an even mixture of late 90's culture and early 2000's culture, or the transition from late 90's to early 2000's culture. That's why I believe 1999 and 2000 were the peak Y2K era years, while it started in 1998 but ended in 2001, and after all 1998 is considered the last full year of the late 90's culturally while 2001 is considered as the first full year of the early 2000's culturally. That's how I look at it. Also, when it comes to the Y2K era, it's so easy to just bring up the teen pop music or Pokemon, but there was so much more to the Y2K era too when it came to the hip hop and R&B music artists at the time, the weird era of sports when there wasn't really any dynasty team but a bunch of random teams winning championships at the time (The Rams and Ravens winning the Super Bowl; The Spurs coming out of no where and winning the NBA title when the Jordan era had just ended, etc.), the WWF Attitude Era, an awkward but exciting & transitional time for movies, and the last hurrah for Saturday Morning cartoon blocks while 24 hour kid stations were finally establishing itself. When the Y2K Era first started the internet has just become commercialized and mainstream a few year back but it was still a complete pre-social media world A.K.A. the Web 1.0 era. Oh, and who could forget how different the fashion looked at the time compared to the earlier 90's years? The Y2K Era was filled with a lot of weirdness and strange transitions when you think back, but it was an excellent time pop culturally with a chill vibe, and probably the most underrated classic time period up to date.

Y2K era is my favorite era. Too bad it was short lived. Even without 9/11 I don't think the era would've lasted much longer as transitions from one decade to another do not last very long. Transition from the 80s to 90s was only about 3 years and ended in around 92-ish. Transition to the 10s has been said to finish around 2011-2012. 9/11 only really speed up the transition by a few months (and even then a lot of Y2K stuff still lingered in 2002 - 2003 since a lot of trends during that time started sometime between 1998 - 2001).  The era is underrated/overlooked to me. Almost makes me wish Y2K era wasn't just transition era and instead an actual decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/01/18 at 9:29 pm

Remember how big this fking song was?

Ienv1rBZFyc

Written By: 80sfan on 08/11/18 at 1:12 am

Kinda sad to think about, really. The economy was so great in 1999, then came the 2000 crash!  :o  :o  :o

Written By: John Titor on 08/12/18 at 4:12 pm

Kinda sad to think about, really. The economy was so great in 1999, then came the 2000 crash!  :o  :o  :o

2001 ^  and it was not as bad as the 2008 it only lasted 3 months

Written By: John Titor on 08/12/18 at 4:13 pm

started in  1997, thats when TRL (under a different  name MTV LIVE) and Spice girls started, also Backstreet boys blew up

Check for new replies or respond here...