inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arthur - A Gen Z cartoon?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/29/18 at 2:05 am

One of the earliest hallmarks which I can remember of realizing that times were changing happened sometime between the fall of 1996 and the summer of 1997; I can't remember exactly when, but one day I was at my grandmother's house (where at the time my nieces and nephew who ranged in age from 6 years old to 1 lived) and Arthur came on the TV. I remember seeing it and thinking (at age 6), in a childlike way, that my era of being a kid or a baby had passed (it's hard to translate the thoughts of a six year old, but basically that's how I felt) and that this was a show for my nephew Daniel (who was born in Aug 96), a show for babies and little kids whereas, I, in my mind at the time, now realized I no longer was.

Around this same time I remember my niece (who was born in Aug 95) was talking about the Spice Girls and I remember thinking that that was music for kids; and wondering where my music (I grew up on Beck, Queen, and the Cranberries) went and again I felt aware, albeit in a childlike way, of changing times.

I'm curious as such if anyone consider Arthur sort of a Gen Z show, considers the period of time Arthur came around in to be a turning point? If what I said above makes sense to you from the standpoint of changing times.

Subject: Re: Arthur - A Gen Z cartoon?

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/29/18 at 3:03 am

Arthur has been on for so long now that is pretty much a Gen Y(specifically the latter part) and a Gen Z show. Also weren't you in the show's primary age demographic when it started? 

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/29/18 at 3:55 am

Arthur has been on for so long now that is pretty much a Gen Y(specifically the latter part) and a Gen Z show. Also weren't you in the show's primary age demographic when it started?

I watched stuff like Rocco's Modern Life, Gargoyles, AHH Real Monsters and Batman: The Animated series; to me, even back in 96/97 Arthur just seemed to belong to younger kids. It just seemed even at the time to be aimed at kids younger than me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/29/18 at 9:31 am

It depends on where you start Gen Z. However, even with the most conservative starting date of 1995 or 1996, I still think the show would actually be more of a mix of Gen Y & Gen Z. Many elementary school kids also watched Arthur in the Late 1990s/Early 2000s, and those kids (many of them around your age) are undeniably Gen Yers. However, since the mid 2000s you could make the argument that the show began to target mostly Gen Z as more late 90s/early 00s babies were in their toddlerhood/early childhood and or started to enter compulsory school.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/18 at 10:02 am

Arthur's peak was seasons 1-8 which was 1996-2003. Arthur is one of the few shows out there that's a hybrid between a preschool show and a regular kids show and the target audience is mainly 4-8 year old's. Arthur is undeniably a millennial/Gen Y cartoon (even tho early Gen Z kids watched this show in its prime too). Core Gen Z would've watched this show past its prime. No different than modern Simpsons episodes (after season 8) or modern Spongebob episodes (after season 4).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/29/18 at 10:14 am

One of the earliest hallmarks which I can remember of realizing that times were changing happened sometime between the fall of 1996 and the summer of 1997; I can't remember exactly when, but one day I was at my grandmother's house (where at the time my nieces and nephew who ranged in age from 6 years old to 1 lived) and Arthur came on the TV. I remember seeing it and thinking (at age 6), in a childlike way, that my era of being a kid or a baby had passed (it's hard to translate the thoughts of a six year old, but basically that's how I felt) and that this was a show for my nephew Daniel (who was born in Aug 96), a show for babies and little kids whereas, I, in my mind at the time, now realized I no longer was.

That season in general was the beginning of late 90's culture for television while there were still a lot of core 90's shows on at the same time, shows like Superman: TAS, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, 7th Heaven, Dexter's Laboratory, Everybody Loves Raymond, Moesha, Kenan & Kel, Blues Clues, Hey Arnold, King of the Hill, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Recess, etc. and much more. Many shows that had started in the late 80's or early 90's had ended around this time, and shows that had began in 1994 or 1995 such as Friends or Pinky & the Brain established itself around this time as well. The 1996-1997 season was the surge of late 90's culture with many other aspects too. So I see where you're coming from.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/29/18 at 7:53 pm

Arthur is definitely Gen Y or at least the golden age around 1996-2003 as mqg mentioned, before they changed the voices. Pretty much all cartoons from around the early 90s to 2003/4 have the "Gen Y feel" with 2004-2006 being in-between, and 06/07 onward being Gen Z as we discussed in an old thread.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/29/18 at 7:55 pm

Around this same time I remember my niece (who was born in Aug 95) was talking about the Spice Girls and I remember thinking that that was music for kids; and wondering where my music (I grew up on Beck, Queen, and the Cranberries) went and again I felt aware, albeit in a childlike way, of changing times.

I'm curious as such if anyone consider Arthur sort of a Gen Z show, considers the period of time Arthur came around in to be a turning point? If what I said above makes sense to you from the standpoint of changing times.

Wait wait whaaat? A 1 year old forming coherent sentences about the Spice Girls? :o

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/30/18 at 1:28 am

Wait wait whaaat? A 1 year old forming coherent sentences about the Spice Girls? :o

The Spice Girls memory happened around the late summer/fall 00 and she was 5 and she wasn't talking in depth lol. Just something like "spice girls rule." Basically my point was in the first memory, between 96 and 97, I noticed it with Arthur, and then in the same era of time I noticed it in music. After the spring of 97 my memories blur as to exact time. But thinking about it the conversation with her happened in 00. I am absolutely certain, due to other related memories, that the first memory, regarding Arthur happened sometime between October 96 and May 97. It was roughly either just before we moved to NJ, which was Dec 96, or when my dog died, which was in April 97; it's sandwiched between those two periods.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/31/18 at 7:26 pm

I would say Gen Y since mostly early 90s borns watched it in its prime. Like Pokemon it trancends decades but most people remember it as a late 90s/Early 00s show

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/18 at 8:28 am

I would say Gen Y since mostly early 90s borns watched it in its prime. Like Pokemon it trancends decades but most people remember it as a late 90s/Early 00s show

Not really, that's inaccurate. Arthur's target audience is once again 4 to 8 year old's while Pokemon's target audience is more like 6 to 10 year old's. A 1990 born was 6 in 1996 and a 1999 born was 4 in 2003. However, I can agree with 1991-1997 being the peak audience when the show was in its prime the WHOLE time. I was 4 in 2000 and 8 in 2004 (although age 7 was the last time I watched Arthur), I definitely watched Arthur in its prime, but I started watching Arthur before I turned 4 because I had Arthur toys when I was 3 and I had an Arthur birthday cake, napkins, and paper plates for my 4th birthday.

Arthur is definitely Gen Y or at least the golden age around 1996-2003 as mqg mentioned, before they changed the voices. Pretty much all cartoons from around the early 90s to 2003/4 have the "Gen Y feel" with 2004-2006 being in-between, and 06/07 onward being Gen Z as we discussed in an old thread.

Not only the voice actors changed, but also CINAR entertainment no longer had rights to Arthur like they had the first 8 seasons and Cookie Jar entertainment took over.

Written By: Lyndialy on 08/01/18 at 8:51 am

Generation Z since it’s watched by little kids.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/18 at 10:41 am

You're a very nice person on these forums BTW, but I have a question for you, is the Simpsons a millennial cartoon because it's still on today?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/01/18 at 12:22 pm

Not really, that's inaccurate. Arthur's target audience is once again 4 to 8 year old's while Pokemon's target audience is more like 6 to 10 year old's. A 1990 born was 6 in 1996 and a 1999 born was 4 in 2003. However, I can agree with 1991-1997 being the peak audience when the show was in its prime the WHOLE time. I was 4 in 2000 and 8 in 2004 (although age 7 was the last time I watched Arthur), I definitely watched Arthur in its prime, but I started watching Arthur before I turned 4 because I had Arthur toys when I was 3 and I had an Arthur birthday cake, napkins, and paper plates for my 4th birthday.

Not only the voice actors changed, but also CINAR entertainment no longer had rights to Arthur like they had the first 8 seasons and Cookie Jar entertainment took over.

Pokémon’s target audience definitely skewed a little on the younger side too though. The bright colors, child friendly characters, the cartoonish violence, and cheesy SMC flare of the show (protypical of 90s SMCs) allowed it to have a wide audience, because it was also known for some it’s darker story elements and attention to detail pertaining to the Pokémon video games/card game.

Thus, it’s target audience had a wide range from as young as potentially 3-5 year olds, to as old as 10-12 year olds. However, it was mainly a fad with elementary school kids, or ages 5-10.

When Pokémania was at its peak from 1999-2001, you could make the claim that the main demographic for Pokémon era kids were those born from 1989-1996. However, if you were to account for its extended popularity into 2003, along wit the initial release of Red & Blue in Late 1998, it would range from 1988-1998 borns, a total ten year span.

Same could be said with Arthur, it had a wide ranging audience (especially for PBS Standards), so you could say the main demographic for the show at its peak in popularity (from circa 1996-2003) were those born from 1988-1998. That’s assuming the main demographic were those from about ages 5-8.

In both instances, it seems like those born in the early 90s (especially 92-93 borns) were in the sweet spot for being able to enjoy those shows at the peaks of their popularity.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/01/18 at 12:29 pm

Pokémon’s target audience definitely skewed a little on the younger side too though. The bright colors, child friendly characters, the cartoonish violence, and cheesy SMC flare of the show (protypical of 90s SMCs) allowed it to have a wide audience, because it was also known for some it’s darker story elements and attention to detail pertaining to the Pokémon video games/card game.

Thus, it’s target audience had a wide range from as young as potentially 3-5 year olds, to as old as 10-12 year olds. However, it was mainly a fad with elementary school kids, or ages 5-10.

When Pokémania was at its peak from 1999-2001, you could make the claim that the main demographic for Pokémon era kids were those born from 1989-1996. However, if you were to account for its extended popularity into 2003, along wit the initial release of Red & Blue in Late 1998, it would range from 1988-1998 borns, a total ten year span.

Same could be said with Arthur, it had a wide ranging audience (especially for PBS Standards), so you could say the main demographic for the show at its peak in popularity (from circa 1996-2003) were those born from 1988-1998. That’s assuming the main demographic were those from about ages 5-8.

In both instances, it seems like those born in the early 90s (especially 92-93 borns) were in the sweet spot for being able to enjoy those shows at the peaks of their popularity.

I always thought that Arthur was targeted towards a slightly younger audience, like ages 3/4-8.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/18 at 2:48 pm

I used to watch Arthur.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/01/18 at 4:47 pm

I always thought that Arthur was targeted towards a slightly younger audience, like ages 3/4-8.

I was referring to Pokemon in the bold you highlited

But you're right, Arthur's would skew younger. However, like Mqg noted, it had a wider audience than most PBS shows, making it relatable to elementary school kids as well as pre school aged kids.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/01/18 at 9:31 pm

Um. Nope.

Sorry, Gen Z does not get to take my Arthur.

We can share.

I had it first tho.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/01/18 at 9:48 pm

Um. Nope.

Sorry, Gen Z does not get to take my Arthur.

We can share.

I had it first tho.

Haha. Its not just Arthur though. Their filthy, wretched hands have now tried to claim Pokemon, TMNT, & Rugrats as their own >:( >:( >:(.

;D

Written By: Howard on 08/02/18 at 5:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFSJr-lGozs
Here's one when he was talking with Mr. Rogers.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/02/18 at 1:41 pm

I'll say more 88-93 since pokemania sorta fizzled out in  the 2001-02 school year once Yu-Gi-Oh got big. Crystal sold a lot less than Gold and Sliver despite both being apart of Gen 2.  96 borns were old enough to remember Ash, Misty Brock being the main cast but too young to remember when pokemon, when it was it's absoulte peak in the 99-00 school year that's, was when every kid in America was into pokemon. Me and Nerdygamer was talking about this the other day after SeaCaptianMan97 stream ended.

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 5:58 pm

What is this nonsense. 

Written By: mqg96 on 08/02/18 at 6:05 pm

What is this nonsense.

You watched Arthur past 2004? It's no different than the Simpsons, Spongebob Squarepants, or Family Guy being the longest lasting cartoons of this era but had its main heydays when it was in its prime. TBH this shouldn't even have to do with generations. It's about the facts. The Simpsons prime was the 90's or first 10 seasons. Arthur's prime was the late 90's/early 00's or first 8 seasons. Spongebob's prime was the first 3 seasons before the original movie and the first few seasons after the original movie (most of the 2000's). Is it really hard to understand this?

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 6:20 pm

You watched Arthur past 2004? It's no different than the Simpsons, Spongebob Squarepants, or Family Guy being the longest lasting cartoons of this era but had its main heydays when it was in its prime. TBH this shouldn't even have to do with generations. It's about the facts. The Simpsons prime was the 90's or first 10 seasons. Arthur's prime was the late 90's/early 00's or first 8 seasons. Spongebob's prime was the first 3 seasons before the original movie and the first few seasons after the original movie (most of the 2000's). Is it really hard to understand this?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/934c78b162956c89525edfab01691071/tenor.gif?itemid=5099596
It was more directed at the terms like "Gen Y feel", but dang ok.

Written By: d90 on 08/12/18 at 5:52 pm

You're a very nice person on these forums BTW, but I have a question for you, is the Simpsons a millennial cartoon because it's still on today?

The Simpsons when they first aired had alot of episodes that focused on Bart as a main character and there was a season 4 episode where Bart and Lisa said that they are part of the Mtv Generation. Alot of Simpsons Video games were made in 1991 and 1992 and back then video games were considered to be for kids. I think back then that Generation Xers and early Millennials were a significant part of their target audience but not as much as the Baby Boomers since a lot of the Baby Boomer culture has been referenced and there was recently an episode where Millennials were criticized. Also Matt Groening Albert Brooks and George Meyer are Baby Boomers. https://www.osv.com/OSVNewsweekly/Perspectives/Columnists/Article/TabId/797/ArtMID/13632/ArticleID/2655/Doh-Simpsons-babyboomer-theology.aspx
As for the episodes that have aired since the Simpsons Movie was made I think that it's trying to target both the older generations ie Baby Boomers Generation X and the younger generations ie Millennials and Generation Z

Written By: Wobo on 08/12/18 at 5:56 pm

Gen Y/Z.

Written By: Lyndialy on 08/12/18 at 7:22 pm

I am unsure.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/12/18 at 7:39 pm

Arthur has been on air since October 1996. It's BOTH a Gen Y & Z cartoon.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/13/18 at 2:23 am

No way is Arthur primarily Gen-Z. Sure, it's still being made today, but it was a particularly huge deal in the mid-to-late 1990s, when episodes were being produced at a much fast rate and before programs like Dora the Explorer, Bob the Builder, and LazyTown stole attention away from it. Arthur was an enormous part of my own early childhood, and I was born in 1992.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/13/18 at 1:38 pm

No way is Arthur primarily Gen-Z. Sure, it's still being made today, but it was a particularly huge deal in the mid-to-late 1990s, when episodes were being produced at a much fast rate and before programs like Dora the Explorer, Bob the Builder, and LazyTown stole attention away from it. Arthur was an enormous part of my own early childhood, and I was born in 1992.

You mean late 90's to early 00's, but yeah I completely agree. Arthur toys and merchandise used to be seen more than Dora at one point. My 4th birthday party was centered around Arthur and that was in February 2000 and I got an Arthur book bag when I was in preschool. Dora premiered in August 2000 but even then it still needed a few seasons before it became the most popular preschool show of the 2000's. Now Arthur still had most of its original voice actors and was owned by Cinar through season 8 (which was 2003). A lot of voice actors were replaced in 2004, Cookie Jar took over in 2004, and the spin-off show Postcards from Buster premiered in 2004. To me this marked the end of Arthur's heyday while more modern preschool shows got attention like you mentioned.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/16/18 at 8:28 am

Speaking about Arthur, do any of you guys remember this?

vBPg22n6gwU

It was based off of the book Arthur's Computer Adventure (and I could've sworn there was an episode on this adventure as well) through the Living Books software. I remember playing this back in elementary school on these ;D:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PrFEQ2Esh1Y/TCOFY75oSjI/AAAAAAAADUU/ybUK4V8nbeU/s1600/imac2000.jpg

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/16/18 at 9:14 pm

Yeah I remember that game. They had it in our classroom.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/18 at 8:40 pm

I had 2 another games, I don't remember the other one I had but one of them I had was called "DW the Picky Eater". I had the game and the VHS tape. The episode was from season 2 while the game was also released sometime around the late 90's.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/eb/a6/98/eba698161a3cece56b33562932339d75.jpg

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 9:12 pm

I remember my cousin having an Arthur game for the Gameboy Color.

Check for new replies or respond here...