inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Power Rangers still big in 1996?

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/28/18 at 2:50 pm

I know it was massive in 1994 and 1995 (Hell, my nephew and I had a joint power rangers themed party at McDonalds in November 1994), but what about 96? I ask because I came across some old photos from my 6th birthday, held at Burger King in Nov 1996 and the placemat we had was Power Rangers, and in pix from Halloween 1996, a couple kids in the background were wearing Power Rangers costumes. But while I personally can remember them being a big deal in 94 and 95, what I personally remember of 1996 in terms of trends that stand out are:
The Macarena
Glow stick wraparound blacelets
Smoke machines at parties (I loved the smell of the smoke, too, pleasant, like almost cotton candyish)

Subject: Re: Was Power Rangers still big in 1996?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/18 at 5:57 pm

It was definitely showing signs of waning in popularity, but it was still pretty popular.

Once they turned into Power Rangers in Space, though  ;D  .....

Written By: ofkx on 08/28/18 at 6:26 pm

Huh? I never knew that Power Rangers was declining in popularity after the 90s. It was pretty big during my childhood and I was born in 2002.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/28/18 at 6:35 pm

Huh? I never knew that Power Rangers was declining in popularity after the 90s. It was pretty big during my childhood and I was born in 2002.

For older people, like of my age range, it totally disappeared off the pop cultural landscape. Like by 1998 I don't recall anyone being into it of my peers.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/18 at 6:54 pm

Ratings-wise, it never went anywhere!

But when it came to pop culture influence, Power Rangers was at its peak from 1993 to 1997.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/28/18 at 7:26 pm

I'm not really sure. I was born during the 1995-96' season of FOX Kids when The OG Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was in its last season, so I'm guessing 1996 was when the fandom was fading, but still relatively popular.

Ratings-wise, it never went anywhere!

But when it came to pop culture influence, Power Rangers was at its peak from 1993 to 1997.

Yeah this sounds about right! This also coincides with the Golden Age of FOX Kids as a whole.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/28/18 at 10:57 pm

For older people, like of my age range, it totally disappeared off the pop cultural landscape. Like by 1998 I don't recall anyone being into it of my peers.
Kinda simlar to how pokemon was a big deal from like 99-01 then the craze fizzles out around late01-02 ish, when Yu-Gi-Oh  exploded in popularity.  People born in the late 80s and early  90s (88-93) were the main co-hort for pokemon when it was in the pop-cultural landscape. Once Hoenn came around, pokemon no longer had that pop-culture power it had in the frist 2 generations.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/18 at 11:10 pm

I'm not really sure. I was born during the 1995-96' season of FOX Kids when The OG Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was in its last season, so I'm guessing 1996 was when the fandom was fading, but still relatively popular.

Yeah this sounds about right! This also coincides with the Golden Age of FOX Kids as a whole.

Pokemon was classic! http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

Written By: bchris02 on 08/29/18 at 1:11 am

Yes, but it wasn't as big as 1994 and 1995.  It was still pretty big though through Season 3 of MMPR and Zeo.  It really started to decline after the second movie, once they became Turbo.

The show is still on and a lot of people here have fond memories of later seasons so obviously the show has kept a fanbase, but in terms of "Rangermania" and the shows overall pop cultural relevance, it was about over by 1998.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/18 at 6:30 am

Power Rangers was still big in the late 1990s/early 2000s at least in my neighbourhood. Actually, even my little sisters born 2005 got into Power Rangers in the early 2010s.

But the mid-1990s was the height of its pop culture relevance.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/29/18 at 10:34 am

Kinda simlar to how pokemon was a big deal from like 99-01 then the craze fizzles out around late01-02 ish, when Yu-Gi-Oh  exploded in popularity.  People born in the late 80s and early  90s (88-93) were the main co-hort for pokemon when it was in the pop-cultural landscape. Once Hoenn came around, pokemon no longer had that pop-culture power it had in the frist 2 generations.

I'd actually say that the 1999-2001 period for Pokemon was similar to the 1994-95' period for Power Rangers, when the fandoms were at their indisputable peaks in popularity. However, 1993 was when Power Rangers had just launched, and 1998 was when Pokemon Red & Blue had just launched in the West.

Finally, the 1996-97' period was when the Power Rangers of the mid 90s fandom started to fizzle, but it was its last hurrah of sorts as many of the original characters had remained and the trade mark phrase "Its Morphin Time!" was still used in action sequences.

2002-2003 was similar in the case for Pokemon as it was the last hurrah for the fandom as the card game was still very popular (although it did have competition with Yu-Gi-Oh in Playground trash talk ;D), the anime still featured the three original trio of Ash, Brock, & Misty, and the third generation of games on GBA were the last to have a bit of a more retro aesthetic that was in kin to the GB/GB Color games, along with the games being the last to be in the GameBoy Family of handheld consoles and finally Red & Blue getting remakes.

So overall;

The popularity of the entire 'Rangermania' Fandom was from 1993-1997 (which coincided with the peak in popularity for FOX Kids in the mid 1990s)

While the popularity of the entire 'Pokemania' Fandom was from 1998-2003 (which coincided with the peak in popularity for Kids WB at the turn of the century)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/29/18 at 10:47 am

Pokemon was classic! http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

I agree. What's your guys opninions on which theme song was more iconic to 90s kids?

vQz8iZ9ot1I

or

6xKWiCMKKJg

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/29/18 at 3:36 pm

As a kid born in 1990 I have to say that it's an impossible choice. The theme to MMPRs and the theme music to Pokemon Yellow are equally iconic to me.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/29/18 at 5:35 pm

As a kid born in 1990 I have to say that it's an impossible choice. The theme to MMPRs and the theme music to Pokemon Yellow are equally iconic to me.
I'll say Power Rangers since it's peak was during the mid 90s while pokemon was a more Y2K era fad.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/30/18 at 5:48 pm

Yes, but it wasn't as big as 1994 and 1995.  It was still pretty big though through Season 3 of MMPR and Zeo.  It really started to decline after the second movie, once they became Turbo.

The show is still on and a lot of people here have fond memories of later seasons so obviously the show has kept a fanbase, but in terms of "Rangermania" and the shows overall pop cultural relevance, it was about over by 1998.

Really? I thought the show experienced a huge resurgence in 1998 with Power Rangers in Space. It wasn't as big that year as it was in 1993-1995, but it certainly was more significant than it was in 1996 and 1997.

Written By: John Titor on 08/31/18 at 5:58 pm

I know it was massive in 1994 and 1995 (Hell, my nephew and I had a joint power rangers themed party at McDonalds in November 1994), but what about 96? I ask because I came across some old photos from my 6th birthday, held at Burger King in Nov 1996 and the placemat we had was Power Rangers, and in pix from Halloween 1996, a couple kids in the background were wearing Power Rangers costumes. But while I personally can remember them being a big deal in 94 and 95, what I personally remember of 1996 in terms of trends that stand out are:
The Macarena
Glow stick wraparound blacelets
Smoke machines at parties (I loved the smell of the smoke, too, pleasant, like almost cotton candyish)

No, People started tuning out in the middle of ZEO, Turbo almost made the series go bankrupt

Written By: John Titor on 08/31/18 at 6:00 pm

Really? I thought the show experienced a huge resurgence in 1998 with Power Rangers in Space. It wasn't as big that year as it was in 1993-1995, but it certainly was more significant than it was in 1996 and 1997.

The second half of Turbo when they changed the cast made the ratings go up so high but by the time Space came out
it got it out of cancellation, However the series was doing really bad Q1 of 1997 to the point where FOX was f'ing with its
timeslot in favor of Beetlebogs.

Written By: John Titor on 08/31/18 at 6:02 pm

Season 3 (around NINJOR) is when the ratings dipped a Tiny bit, ratings took a small nose dive in ZEO
FOX actually paid Saban to bring back the Red Ranger to become Gold to boost ratings at the time

Turbo came and everything took a nosedive, The second half of Turbo actually stopped the show from being canceled
along with In Space's consistent ratings.

Check for new replies or respond here...