inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997 Changes

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/28/18 at 7:28 pm

John Titor (I think jokingly) referred to 1997 as "changing everything", but I would like to take this on a more serious tack. I know for myself personally and my family, 1997 was a very transformational year. My parents and I moved into our house in NJ from NYC in January 1997 and I was withdrawn from the final school I attended in Brooklyn in the '90s on January 10th, 1997. My grandparents bought a summer home in PA in September 1997 and by 1999 they moved from Brooklyn to that house permanently and full time. Around April or May 1997, my dog Jackie was hit by a car and killed. My dad spent most of 1997 sickly on Interferon and between the end of 1996 and first half of 1997 lost roughly 40 or 50 lbs. My mother was admitted into the hospital with a severe heart condition and entered into a coma in February 1997 as well and nearly died.

As far as pop culture goes, I remember feeling that there was still a big hippie tinge and feel in the air in early-June 1997. There was still a grungey or post grunge feel to the year. Hair for guys was longish. I still saw double denim. There was still that light hearted mid 90s feel to things. There was still this air of excitement and just that mid 90s thoughtless prosperity. I remember things changing by the second half of 97. Rap fully took over and became roughly on par with the various rock subgenres in the second half of the year. I remember seeing saggy pants for the first time, as well as those light up sneakers. Hip Hop culture was becoming mainstream even among kids in the second half of 1997. 3D and Playstation were THE rule rather than an OPTION in the second half of 1997, as opposed to the first half wherein 2D gaming, Sega, Nintendo, and Playstation all roughly coexisted. Power Rangers suddenly disappeared in '97. The Lost World: Jurassic Park was THE movie event for my age group (kids) whereas for teens and older, Titanic was THE event of the year. Music I vaguely remember post grunge, rap and alternative being big for the first half of the year, and at the end of the year, Celion Dion and boy bands and girl bands were huge almost overnight. It feels like, the first half of '97 was the mid 90s still and the second half launched us suddenly into the TRL era.

Subject: Re: 1997 Changes

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/29/18 at 8:47 am

I do not think that John Titor is joking about it. I think she is very genuine about the things she says.

There were some posts back in 2005 that stated that 1997 felt more like 2005 than 1995. What are your thoughts on this?

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/29/18 at 3:39 pm

I do not think that John Titor is joking about it. I think she is very genuine about the things she says.

There were some posts back in 2005 that stated that 1997 felt more like 2005 than 1995. What are your thoughts on this?

Honestly, the way I view it, mid 1995 to mid 1997 sort of runs together culturally. Obviously there are differences, as there are from year to year, I do remember feeling that the second half of 1997 or so, at least, by the end of that year, things felt very different culturally. We were deeply in the Titanic age, the age of Boy Bands and such. Early 97 just felt like a continuation of 1995 and 1996....2005 I graduated from HS and honestly I can't see any similarities....2005 was a different world from 1997 as much as it is removed from 2018. The mid 2000s were their own separate thing and I'm not interested in directly comparing years. I just feel that you can place one part of 1997 firmly in the mid 90s and one part firmly in the late 90s, which is why I find it an interesting, transitional year.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/29/18 at 4:43 pm

Honestly, the way I view it, mid 1995 to mid 1997 sort of runs together culturally. Obviously there are differences, as there are from year to year, I do remember feeling that the second half of 1997 or so, at least, by the end of that year, things felt very different culturally. We were deeply in the Titanic age, the age of Boy Bands and such. Early 97 just felt like a continuation of 1995 and 1996....2005 I graduated from HS and honestly I can't see any similarities....2005 was a different world from 1997 as much as it is removed from 2018. The mid 2000s were their own separate thing and I'm not interested in directly comparing years. I just feel that you can place one part of 1997 firmly in the mid 90s and one part firmly in the late 90s, which is why I find it an interesting, transitional year.

You mean graduated from middle school (didn't you say that you were born in November of 1990)?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/29/18 at 5:45 pm

The mid 00s are definitely dated by today's standards but still feel modern in contrast from 1992 to 2005. By 2005 you had Web 2.0 (high speed broadband Internet), cellphones being the norm, Google being at the forfront whereas in 1992 it was almost purely analog.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/29/18 at 11:39 pm

You mean graduated from middle school (didn't you say that you were born in November of 1990)?

Yeah, middle school, sorry. Middle School June of 05, HS June of 09.

In '97 I was in 1st grade for most of the year. 1997 was truly an interesting time, as I remember it. 1998 and beyond for me feel like a totally different time. In 1997, Sega Genesis and SNES were still popular; by 98 it was PS1 and N64. In early '97 it was postgrunge and rap. By the end of the year it was Boy Bands and Girl Pop. In '97 Power Rangers were still relevent among my peers; By the end of 98 we were in the Pokemon era. Gargoyles, Freakazoid, Roseanne, X-Men: The Animated Series, Doug, Beavis & Butthead and Ahhh! Real Monsters all ended in 1997 as did the Disney Afternoon. 1997 was a weird year, half hippie, half cyber, perhaps the first full year of the World Wide Web.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/30/18 at 6:00 am

Yeah, middle school, sorry. Middle School June of 05, HS June of 09.

In '97 I was in 1st grade for most of the year. 1997 was truly an interesting time, as I remember it. 1998 and beyond for me feel like a totally different time. In 1997, Sega Genesis and SNES were still popular; by 98 it was PS1 and N64. In early '97 it was postgrunge and rap. By the end of the year it was Boy Bands and Girl Pop. In '97 Power Rangers were still relevent among my peers; By the end of 98 we were in the Pokemon era. Gargoyles, Freakazoid, Roseanne, X-Men: The Animated Series, Doug, Beavis & Butthead and Ahhh! Real Monsters all ended in 1997 as did the Disney Afternoon. 1997 was a weird year, half hippie, half cyber, perhaps the first full year of the World Wide Web.

I thought that Doug ended in 1999.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/30/18 at 8:48 am

1997 was absolutely transformational, but more as a turning point rather than an overnight shift. It's prespammersite to claim it's more like 2005 than 1995 on an overall level.

In music, while you did have some songs ahead of their time such as "You Make Me Wanna" by Usher, "What About Us?" by Total, and "Do You Know (What It Takes)", the prevailing sound was still slow and funky, as was the case in 1996. The main difference is that the tone was becoming rapidly flashier, with glam rappers like Puff Daddy and Will Smith instead of 2Pac or Bone Thugs at the top of the charts, though even the latter two were still very commercially relevant. Gangsta rap was dominated by No Limit rather than Death Row, but No Limit was still influenced by West Coast rappers, despite bringing a brasher repetition to the genre in place of laid-back grooves. Bubbly teen pop finally became a huge deal in America and Canada again after several years of backlash, beginning with the Spice Girls, but this breakthrough happened in the rest of the world in 1996, where "Wannabe" was already a hit and actually teen pop already had some presence in the mid-90s anyway, since bands like Take That and East 17 had hits there.

In rock, grunge gasped its last breath with Soundgarden's "Blow Up the Outside World" and then subsequent disbandment, but the overall scene was still dominated by alternative music. Bands such as No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, and Bush still ruled the charts. One of the biggest rock hits of the year was "Bitch", a spiritual continuation of Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill album. Britpop was also still a huge deal, with Blur releasing their self-titled record (though it was less overtly British) and enormous hype building towards Oasis' Be Here Now, which would later be deemed a genre killer but in 1997 was still considered a masterpiece, clouded by hype

The film industry was dominated by the disaster blockbuster craze, which lasted from 1996 to 1998. Men in Black was its own kind of film but doesn't feel nearly as much of a 2000s preview as The Matrix or Blade were.

TV had lots of new shows getting popular such as South Park, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and King of the Hill, but only in 1998 would Dawson's Creek, Sex and the City, Will & Grace, and King of Queens premiere, solidifying the late '90s shift in television.

The Internet, while fairly popular in 1997, still wasn't exactly something most people had and was definitely too immature to have the world conquering influence that would be felt more around 1999 and 2000.

Media artwork in 1997, while less depressing, scroungy, and monochrome than in the mid-90s, was still nowhere near as glossy, futuristic, and clean looking as it would be just a couple years later.

Fashion was quickly moving away from the full-on grunge and plaid-skirt look of the mid-90s, but girls fashion was still nowhere near as minimalist and clean as it would be shortly ahead. It was late '90s, but not the same as 1999.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/30/18 at 5:53 pm

1997 was absolutely transformational, but more as a turning point rather than an overnight shift. It's prespammersite to claim it's more like 2005 than 1995 on an overall level.

In music, while you did have some songs ahead of their time such as "You Make Me Wanna" by Usher, "What About Us?" by Total, and "Do You Know (What It Takes)", the prevailing sound was still slow and funky, as was the case in 1996. The main difference is that the tone was becoming rapidly flashier, with glam rappers like Puff Daddy and Will Smith instead of 2Pac or Bone Thugs at the top of the charts, though even the latter two were still very commercially relevant. Gangsta rap was dominated by No Limit rather than Death Row, but No Limit was still influenced by West Coast rappers, despite bringing a brasher repetition to the genre in place of laid-back grooves. Bubbly teen pop finally became a huge deal in America and Canada again after several years of backlash, beginning with the Spice Girls, but this breakthrough happened in the rest of the world in 1996, where "Wannabe" was already a hit and actually teen pop already had some presence in the mid-90s anyway, since bands like Take That and East 17 had hits there.

In rock, grunge gasped its last breath with Soundgarden's "Blow Up the Outside World" and then subsequent disbandment, but the overall scene was still dominated by alternative music. Bands such as No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, and Bush still ruled the charts. One of the biggest rock hits of the year was "Bitch", a spiritual continuation of Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill album. Britpop was also still a huge deal, with Blur releasing their self-titled record (though it was less overtly British) and enormous hype building towards Oasis' Be Here Now, which would later be deemed a genre killer but in 1997 was still considered a masterpiece, clouded by hype

The film industry was dominated by the disaster blockbuster craze, which lasted from 1996 to 1998. Men in Black was its own kind of film but doesn't feel nearly as much of a 2000s preview as The Matrix or Blade were.

TV had lots of new shows getting popular such as South Park, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and King of the Hill, but only in 1998 would Dawson's Creek, Sex and the City, Will & Grace, and King of Queens premiere, solidifying the late '90s shift in television.

The Internet, while fairly popular in 1997, still wasn't exactly something most people had and was definitely too immature to have the world conquering influence that would be felt more around 1999 and 2000.

Media artwork in 1997, while less depressing, scroungy, and monochrome than in the mid-90s, was still nowhere near as glossy, futuristic, and clean looking as it would be just a couple years later.

Fashion was quickly moving away from the full-on grunge and plaid-skirt look of the mid-90s, but girls fashion was still nowhere near as minimalist and clean as it would be shortly ahead. It was late '90s, but not the same as 1999.

Media artwork as in what? You mean ads and stuff? I ask because I've always associated the mid 90s as being bright and colorful, cheerful looking rather than depressing and monochrome.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/31/18 at 10:58 am

Media artwork as in what? You mean ads and stuff? I ask because I've always associated the mid 90s as being bright and colorful, cheerful looking rather than depressing and monochrome.

Yes, ads, album covers, movie posters, etc. Examples include these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Sheryl_Crow%2C_album.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Set_it_off_poster.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Head_Over_Heels1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/Mr._Smith_-_LL_Cool_J.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/George_Michael_-_Older_album_cover.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Mary_J_Blige_album_cover_My_Life.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Heatposter.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Eraser_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Daydream_mariah_carey.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/R.E.M._-_New_Adventures_in_Hi-Fi.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Fugees_-_The_Score.png

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/467/46748ee9-c2df-4d76-90b7-ba4b8c3e16da.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/BadReligionStrangerThanFiction.jpg

Everything was shadowed in greys, blacks, and monochromes, while fonts were usually dull, underplayed, and often kind of dirty-looking. Even if you were a pop diva like Mariah or Janet, your album cover looked somber and monochrome. It’s a trend that took over in the late β€˜80s but was arguably at its scroungiest during the mid-β€˜90s. By the year 2000, it was totally the opposite, with everything looking digital crafted, like it was tidied up in Photoshop, which makes sense, given the software became popular during the course of the second half of the β€˜90s.

Written By: Dundee on 08/31/18 at 4:46 pm

I CHANGED EVERYTHING

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/31/18 at 5:00 pm

I CHANGED EVERYTHING

Please don't troll

Written By: Dundee on 08/31/18 at 5:03 pm

Please don't troll
IM SO SORRY IM SUCH A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING I WILL LEAVE THE FORUM SORRY FOR ALL THE PAIN I DID TO YOU  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: John Titor on 08/31/18 at 5:55 pm

I am going to chime in and get vivid on this having been in 4th grade at the time, the vibe really did change all of a sudden in January 1997, that is when the Spice Girls first single hit, even this commercial right here was played 24/7 on MTV & FOX, some of you might remember it
This is when I noticed we were in a new era in 1997.

EhNMKV2PRW0

It was a play on Generation X ending, and generation Y  (next) starting

Donkey Kong Country 3 was the swan song of the 16 bit era, Sony's powerhouse Playstation was winning people over with  games like
Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider, n64 did have hype but as soon as FF 7 came out it broke down all the walls. Final Fantasy was on
bus and train billboards at the time. Sega on the other hand fell off the place of the planet, pretty sure KB were not even carrying
Saturn games LMAO Sonic fell the F off as well. You were a closet Sega fan in 1997, it was NOT cool at all to have any sega system
at this time due to failures like 32x and Saturn. I remember playing Sonic 3D blast at Toys R us and feeling depressed that the game
sucked.

In regards to TRL, the TRL era actually started in September of 1997, TRL had a different name called MTV LIVE

_rfY5J9hb-w
By this time Backstreet boys & Hanson were already huge.

1997, in advertisements were SHINY like the pepsi ad I linked, things were getting very Y2K looking at this time,  Summer of 1997
was the last time you would ever see Classic Grunge ever again, at the time it was waning. Now on the topic of Power Rangers people
were tuning out in the middle of ZEO, by the time the TURBO movie came out it was a wrap, I did not have any idea of what was going
on that season except for the  " Hey Guys I am the new BLUE RANGER" commercial that Fox was airing at nausea.  Grungy shows like Beavis
& Butthead also ended to make way for more Y2K spinoffs like Daria. The whole vibe of 1997 felt liquid metal futuristic. You had songs
like Robyn's show me love sounding like Britney Spears beta. Fonts on CD covers at the time were loud and bright. @#Infinity is 100
percent about advertisements ditching the grunge font types in favor of more optimistic looking graphics.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/31/18 at 9:53 pm

1997 was very transitional for sure, it's similar to how 2017 feels at its core it's a late 10s year but it still has mid 10s aspects. Just like Early 97 had aspects of 96 and 95. Once we get into the summers of those years than that's when the new late part of the decade hits. The summer of 97 was when Men and Black launched, Star Fox 64 launched, and Hip-Hop pretty much moved on from the Gangsta East Coast and West Coast beef from the mid 90s. The summer of 2017 you had Youtube changing its logo, the return of Fear Factor, Return of TRL and the Nintendo becoming relevant in the gaming industry again.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/01/18 at 9:04 am

In 1997, the Universal logo went from this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/533uuk62mAk/maxresdefault.jpg

To this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s4wGNLIgsRE/maxresdefault.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...