inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997: my look back.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/29/18 at 5:02 pm

I miss 1997! That was the year I got my first CD player. It was so exciting and amazing! The first CD I played on it was by Jamiroquai. Music was my thing so that was a special, magical moment. In 1997, I was a Junior in High School and mid/late in the year I began Senior year. I was 16/17 years old. Music was my obsession! I would go to our music stores, Coconuts or Strawberries, to get singles in cassette or CD single. I had a peculiar way of choosing music back then. If there was a song playing on the radio and it sounded beautiful to me I would then buy a copy at the music store. But it had to be beautiful. I was always that way throughout my teens...but at 16 or 17 I didn't keep it to myself.

Most beautiful songs of 1997 to me :
- To the Moon and back by Savage Garden
- Where's the love by Hanson
- Head over Heels by Allure
- 2 become 1 by The Spice Girls
- Happy with you by Samantha Cole
- Love thing by The Spice Girls
- Talk to me by Wild Orchid

These days I still choose music that way lol. I guess I have always known what beautiful music is!

Subject: Re: 1997: my look back.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 08/30/18 at 12:29 pm

Yay i was born in 1997 love that year as well! :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/30/18 at 3:44 pm

This is my CD player from 1997(photos attached). Bet you all can imagine how excited I felt when I got this! "Digital tuner"...since everything started going digital in '97. I have taken it with me everywhere in almost 22 years. Hasn't been used in 15 years though.

http://i68.tinypic.com/bgrbs2.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/1z6a9za.jpg

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/01/18 at 11:11 pm

Happy birthday!

Written By: Dundee on 09/02/18 at 4:09 am

HBD :)

I was born in 1997 too and am very content with it, only because it's by far the most nightmarish birth year to put a generation on for people on here 8)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/02/18 at 11:23 pm

I was born in 1997 too and am very content with it, only because it's by far the most nightmarish birth year to put a generation on for people on here 8)
Quite a few of you guys on here.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/03/18 at 7:47 am

I don't get it.

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/18 at 8:44 am

I love '97!

I watched Space Jam and Hercules on repeat ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/03/18 at 3:20 pm

I miss 1997! That was the year I got my first CD player. It was so exciting and amazing! The first CD I played on it was by Jamiroquai. Music was my thing so that was a special, magical moment. In 1997, I was a Junior in High School and mid/late in the year I began Senior year. I was 16/17 years old. Music was my obsession! I would go to our music stores, Coconuts or Strawberries, to get singles in cassette or CD single. I had a peculiar way of choosing music back then. If there was a song playing on the radio and it sounded beautiful to me I would then buy a copy at the music store. But it had to be beautiful. I was always that way throughout my teens...but at 16 or 17 I didn't keep it to myself.

- Where's the love by Hanson
- Head over Heels by Allure
- 2 become 1 by The Spice Girls
- Happy with you by Samantha Cole
- Love thing by The Spice Girls
- Talk to me by Wild Orchid

These days I still choose music that way lol. I guess I have always known what beautiful music is!

1997 really? That was the year I got my first CD player too!  8) Mine came in the form of a radio plus the CD player at the top, I didn't get a portable CD player until the year after, but I was excited about it! Among my first CD's was one of those Ultimate Dance Party compilations and my favorite songs I first hear on the radio of course because how else would I hear of an artist back then?

Written By: violet_shy on 09/03/18 at 4:33 pm

1997 really? That was the year I got my first CD player too!  8) Mine came in the form of a radio plus the CD player at the top, I didn't get a portable CD player until the year after, but I was excited about it! Among my first CD's was one of those Ultimate Dance Party compilations and my favorite songs I first hear on the radio of course because how else would I hear of an artist back then?

I remember the Dance Party Compilation CDs! You just made my nostalgia day even better!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/18 at 6:02 pm

I was in my second year of grad school. It was the year before I moved in with Carlos.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/03/18 at 11:07 pm

I remember the Dance Party Compilation CDs! You just made my nostalgia day even better!  :D

Yay for nostalgia trips!  :D

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:16 pm

I saw George of the Jungle in the theater and played a lot of interactive movie PC games. I believe I got a SNES in 97 as well.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/04/18 at 1:04 pm

1997 was TREMENDOUS. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/07/18 at 12:23 am

'97 was a pretty good year!

Written By: bchris02 on 09/19/18 at 12:33 am

I don't get it.

Are '97 borns Millennials or Gen Z?  They are right in the middle of the cusp so it's difficult to say one way or the other.

Written By: aja675 on 09/21/18 at 7:26 am

I actually remember a flash or two of that year.  :o

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 8:27 am

Are '97 borns Millennials or Gen Z?  They are right in the middle of the cusp so it's difficult to say one way or the other.

I would say that they're Gen Z for now, but that's just my opinion.

Generational boundaries can still change.

In 2010, The Millennial generation was most commonly defined as 1980-2000 and Gen Z was most commonly defined as 2001+.

In 2018, The Millennial generation seems to be most commonly defined as 1981-1996 and Gen Z seems to be most commonly defined as 1997+.

I'm going to guess that Generation Z in 2018 is probably the same age as the Millennials were in 1997-2000, but keep in mind that this is only a guess.

Written By: nally on 10/15/19 at 12:48 pm

Good one from that band. They had a few other hits that year as well, but this one is sometimes overlooked. Even listening to it now takes me back. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/15/19 at 3:15 pm

I got engaged in May '97 - it became a year of wedding planning!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/19 at 3:53 pm

1997, a memorable year for me. Traveled abroad and stayed for a long while, made new friends, Princess Diana death and funeral, so well remembered.

Written By: nally on 10/15/19 at 7:19 pm

I was a junior in high school during the first half of the year, and a senior in the second half.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/15/19 at 7:43 pm

I was 7 that year and only remember a few things. My Aunt took me and my cousin to go see Disney's Hercules.

Written By: BrandonB on 10/17/19 at 4:01 pm

I was in 7th/8th grade in 1997. I went to the music store with my best friend and bought The Prodigy's "Fat of the Land" CD. The Wallflowers' "Bringing Down the Horse,"  The Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "Let's Face it," and Paula Cole's "This Fire" "were the three other CDs I bought that year. Jesus Christ, did I ever wear those CDs out 8). I remember finding out about Diana :\'( on TV b/c it interrupted SNL. The following year, several girls in my school were reading biographies of Diana. Now that I mention SNL; I clearly recall learning of Chris Farley's passing too :\'(. Everyone talked about playing Golden-eye on N64.  My Favorite TV show was Frasier. As far as I was concerned all the other comedies could kiss Frasier's ass.     

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/19 at 6:31 pm

I'm in the middle of reading the journal I wrote that year. The sad thing was that my cat Bear died.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...