inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997: my look back.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/29/18 at 5:02 pm

I miss 1997! That was the year I got my first CD player. It was so exciting and amazing! The first CD I played on it was by Jamiroquai. Music was my thing so that was a special, magical moment. In 1997, I was a Junior in High School and mid/late in the year I began Senior year. I was 16/17 years old. Music was my obsession! I would go to our music stores, Coconuts or Strawberries, to get singles in cassette or CD single. I had a peculiar way of choosing music back then. If there was a song playing on the radio and it sounded beautiful to me I would then buy a copy at the music store. But it had to be beautiful. I was always that way throughout my teens...but at 16 or 17 I didn't keep it to myself.

Most beautiful songs of 1997 to me :
- To the Moon and back by Savage Garden
- Where's the love by Hanson
- Head over Heels by Allure
- 2 become 1 by The Spice Girls
- Happy with you by Samantha Cole
- Love thing by The Spice Girls
- Talk to me by Wild Orchid

These days I still choose music that way lol. I guess I have always known what beautiful music is!

Subject: Re: 1997: my look back.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 08/30/18 at 12:29 pm

Yay i was born in 1997 love that year as well! :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/30/18 at 3:44 pm

This is my CD player from 1997(photos attached). Bet you all can imagine how excited I felt when I got this! "Digital tuner"...since everything started going digital in '97. I have taken it with me everywhere in almost 22 years. Hasn't been used in 15 years though.

http://i68.tinypic.com/bgrbs2.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/1z6a9za.jpg

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/01/18 at 11:11 pm

Happy birthday!

Written By: Dundee on 09/02/18 at 4:09 am

HBD :)

I was born in 1997 too and am very content with it, only because it's by far the most nightmarish birth year to put a generation on for people on here 8)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/02/18 at 11:23 pm

I was born in 1997 too and am very content with it, only because it's by far the most nightmarish birth year to put a generation on for people on here 8)
Quite a few of you guys on here.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/03/18 at 7:47 am

I don't get it.

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/18 at 8:44 am

I love '97!

I watched Space Jam and Hercules on repeat ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/03/18 at 3:20 pm

I miss 1997! That was the year I got my first CD player. It was so exciting and amazing! The first CD I played on it was by Jamiroquai. Music was my thing so that was a special, magical moment. In 1997, I was a Junior in High School and mid/late in the year I began Senior year. I was 16/17 years old. Music was my obsession! I would go to our music stores, Coconuts or Strawberries, to get singles in cassette or CD single. I had a peculiar way of choosing music back then. If there was a song playing on the radio and it sounded beautiful to me I would then buy a copy at the music store. But it had to be beautiful. I was always that way throughout my teens...but at 16 or 17 I didn't keep it to myself.

Most beautiful songs of 1997 to me :
- To the Moon and back by Savage Garden
- Where's the love by Hanson
- Head over Heels by Allure
- 2 become 1 by The Spice Girls
- Happy with you by Samantha Cole
- Love thing by The Spice Girls
- Talk to me by Wild Orchid

These days I still choose music that way lol. I guess I have always known what beautiful music is!

1997 really? That was the year I got my first CD player too!  8) Mine came in the form of a radio plus the CD player at the top, I didn't get a portable CD player until the year after, but I was excited about it! Among my first CD's was one of those Ultimate Dance Party compilations and my favorite songs I first hear on the radio of course because how else would I hear of an artist back then?

Written By: violet_shy on 09/03/18 at 4:33 pm

1997 really? That was the year I got my first CD player too!  8) Mine came in the form of a radio plus the CD player at the top, I didn't get a portable CD player until the year after, but I was excited about it! Among my first CD's was one of those Ultimate Dance Party compilations and my favorite songs I first hear on the radio of course because how else would I hear of an artist back then?

I remember the Dance Party Compilation CDs! You just made my nostalgia day even better!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/18 at 6:02 pm

I was in my second year of grad school. It was the year before I moved in with Carlos.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/03/18 at 11:07 pm

I remember the Dance Party Compilation CDs! You just made my nostalgia day even better!  :D

Yay for nostalgia trips!  :D

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:16 pm

I saw George of the Jungle in the theater and played a lot of interactive movie PC games. I believe I got a SNES in 97 as well.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/04/18 at 1:04 pm

1997 was TREMENDOUS. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/07/18 at 12:23 am

'97 was a pretty good year!

Written By: bchris02 on 09/19/18 at 12:33 am

I don't get it.

Are '97 borns Millennials or Gen Z?  They are right in the middle of the cusp so it's difficult to say one way or the other.

Written By: aja675 on 09/21/18 at 7:26 am

I actually remember a flash or two of that year.  :o

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 8:27 am

Are '97 borns Millennials or Gen Z?  They are right in the middle of the cusp so it's difficult to say one way or the other.

I would say that they're Gen Z for now, but that's just my opinion.

Generational boundaries can still change.

In 2010, The Millennial generation was most commonly defined as 1980-2000 and Gen Z was most commonly defined as 2001+.

In 2018, The Millennial generation seems to be most commonly defined as 1981-1996 and Gen Z seems to be most commonly defined as 1997+.

I'm going to guess that Generation Z in 2018 is probably the same age as the Millennials were in 1997-2000, but keep in mind that this is only a guess.

Check for new replies or respond here...