inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The X-Files: Best show of the 90s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/14/18 at 10:38 am

While many remember the 90s for the sitcoms and such like Friends, Sex in the City, and so on, I have to ask: Was The X-Files a bit more timeless, and a cut above those? Bingewatching the original series, I find that, outside of the obviously dated elements like the older cellphones and 90s computers, the show otherwise feels much more modern than the contemporaries it had; I feel like it's a show that wouldn't be completely out of place now. The basic tone, atmosphere, sense of humor, characters, and storylines are many times intriguing, sometimes verrry dark, even by today's standards, and are often as gritty, in some ways, as later shows like The Sopranos or The Wire, which are lauded for "changing television" can be.

Subject: Re: The X-Files: Best show of the 90s?

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 09/14/18 at 1:34 pm

Yeah there are many great shows from the 90s and the x files is one of them!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/18 at 1:51 pm

The X-Files was shown in the UK, but back then I never got to watch it live. There were many great comedy shows, Absolutely Fabulous, One Foot in the Grave, Father Ted, any many more. I am currently getting the feel of Friends by watching on Netflix.

In general, "Friends" is superior.

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/23/18 at 6:56 pm

I think that the '90s was the best decade for network TV. Other decades had good or great shows, but there was something special about the "X-Files" era. It was the last time when cable series weren't regularly superior to network series. Check out this list of sitcoms/humor shows from back then.

Great '90s Humor Shows:
Frasier
Seinfeld
Friends
Wings
Mad About You
News Radio
Just Shoot Me
Murphy Brown
Roseanne
Saturday Night Live

Most of those were on NBC! I know that I excluded some terrific comedy shows, but those were my personal favorites that were the funniest, in my opinion. SNL was much more watchable back then too, not like it is now. I miss the days of the Church Lady and Wayne's World!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/18 at 11:01 am

I like 90's TV more than 80's TV. That's one thing the 90's has hanging over the head of the 80's. The X Files was/is awesome.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/01/18 at 3:02 pm

Not just the best show of the 90's but one of the greatest TV shows in history.

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 3:27 pm

TXF is indeed legendary, but the best would be either Homicide: Life on the Street or My So-Called Life.

Check for new replies or respond here...