inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo 64 was a failure

Written By: John Titor on 10/12/18 at 6:21 pm

Hate me all you want LMAO I had  both ps1 and n64 in 97, I hated n64 with a passion

Mario 64, Kart, 007, Smash Bros Ok cool but how long did those games take to come out
at a time LMAO 80 dollar cartridges that looked like a wet fart and the graphics were blurry.
Hate on me all you want but Playstation destroyed nintendo lol

People like to hype up n64 as this great system when it wasn't, LMAO SONY was killing the game
with Crash, Tekken, Tomb Radier 2, FF 7, Nintendo had almost nothing. The n64 revisionist history
is astounding.

Subject: Re: Nintendo 64 was a failure

Written By: Dundee on 10/12/18 at 8:15 pm

I mean making a console with cartridges in like 1996 or whenever it came out was pretty dumb on Nintendo's part

Written By: mqg96 on 10/12/18 at 9:30 pm

I was just discussing about the history of Nintendo and the golden age of Nintendo with someone else the other day. The Nintendo 64 was in fact Nintendo's first major bump, and it was probably the beginning of the silver age of Nintendo too. Nintendo's golden age was the arcade era of the early 80's, the NES era of the mid to late 80's, and the SNES era of the early to mid 90's.

The Nintendo 64 having cartridges was a mistake like Mr. Shruggie mentioned because the Saturn and PS1 all used CD's. With all of that being said, the Nintendo 64 is still considered as one of the greatest Nintendo consoles of all time, because it still revolutionized gaming in the long run. Yes, the games have aged poorly, but for its time with the fact that it was the beginning of the 3D gaming era and the library it had, it was amazing, but not only that, but most importantly, the Nintendo 64 was the MOST MATURE Nintendo console of all time. It had the most mature games for any Nintendo console compared to future ones and even previous ones! Just look at the library! The Nintendo 64 had great 1st party games and an overall great variety that appealed to all ages, but it was still the first Nintendo console with some flaws. The PS1 surpassed the N64 in ratings and sales in the long run.

The Gamecube mainly appealed to kids only and wasn't that mature at all, and its 1st party games were poor compared to the N64 but still really amazing with a great and underrated library, however, the best thing about Gamecube were its great 2nd & 3rd party games, so for hardcore gamers the Gamecube was the last great Nintendo console when it comes to the classics. The Wii had great 1st party games but outside of that it was poor with everything else and it mainly appealed to casual gamers with all the motion control stuff going on, and even then with the 1st party games you were required to deal with the motion controls which not everybody liked. The Wii U was the WORST Nintendo console of all time. Everything about it sucked period. The Nintendo Switch has been doing well, and I'm happy for it.

Written By: John Titor on 10/12/18 at 9:40 pm

When Sony started taking all them publishers away from Nintendo it was a wrap LMAO
I do remember Mario 64 had insane hype for a few months, but by 1997 LMAOOO Playstation was king.

Nintendo as you said got their first bump and fell into their silver age, Sony was the COOL system and Nintendo
was the Kid system, even in 4th grade I didn't really vibe with n64, it just felt like a dumb system.

Written By: John Titor on 10/12/18 at 9:41 pm

I mean making a console with cartridges in like 1996 or whenever it came out was pretty dumb on Nintendo's part

Sony games 39 dollars  N64  70 lmao

The Consumers chose

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/12/18 at 11:33 pm

When Sony started taking all them publishers away from Nintendo it was a wrap LMAO
I do remember Mario 64 had insane hype for a few months, but by 1997 LMAOOO Playstation was king.

Nintendo as you said got their first bump and fell into their silver age, Sony was the COOL system and Nintendo
was the Kid system, even in 4th grade I didn't really vibe with n64, it just felt like a dumb system.
You're like the only one on here who hated the 64. Most people your age hold it in such high regard.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/12/18 at 11:37 pm

I was just discussing about the history of Nintendo and the golden age of Nintendo with someone else the other day. The Nintendo 64 was in fact Nintendo's first major bump, and it was probably the beginning of the silver age of Nintendo too. Nintendo's golden age was the arcade era of the early 80's, the NES era of the mid to late 80's, and the SNES era of the early to mid 90's.

The Nintendo 64 having cartridges was a mistake like Mr. Shruggie mentioned because the Saturn and PS1 all used CD's. With all of that being said, the Nintendo 64 is still considered as one of the greatest Nintendo consoles of all time, because it still revolutionized gaming in the long run. Yes, the games have aged poorly, but for its time with the fact that it was the beginning of the 3D gaming era and the library it had, it was amazing, but not only that, but most importantly, the Nintendo 64 was the MOST MATURE Nintendo console of all time. It had the most mature games for any Nintendo console compared to future ones and even previous ones! Just look at the library! The Nintendo 64 had great 1st party games and an overall great variety that appealed to all ages, but it was still the first Nintendo console with some flaws. The PS1 surpassed the N64 in ratings and sales in the long run.

The Gamecube mainly appealed to kids only and wasn't that mature at all, and its 1st party games were poor compared to the N64 but still really amazing with a great and underrated library, however, the best thing about Gamecube were its great 2nd & 3rd party games, so for hardcore gamers the Gamecube was the last great Nintendo console when it comes to the classics. The Wii had great 1st party games but outside of that it was poor with everything else and it mainly appealed to casual gamers with all the motion control stuff going on, and even then with the 1st party games you were required to deal with the motion controls which not everybody liked. The Wii U was the WORST Nintendo console of all time. Everything about it sucked period. The Nintendo Switch has been doing well, and I'm happy for it.
I'll say the GameCube was more mature but the N64 is highly respected by the modern day PlayStation and Xbox crowd so it's definitely more mature than the wii and wii u.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 10/13/18 at 12:09 am

lol this isn't anything new. Most people already know the tale of nintendo losing 3rd parties and foolishly sticking with carts. Though I would argue that the n64 did a good job with releasing around 4 or 5 top notch games every year between 1997 and 2000. That, and the 4 controller ports made it somewhat note worthy.

Written By: John Titor on 10/13/18 at 12:09 am

You're like the only one on here who hated the 64. Most people your age hold it in such high regard.

DEAR LORD I hated n64 so much back in 1997, I wasted my damn money getting that system.
It was cool for mario kart and goldeneye but thats it LMAO

I was more into Tomb Raider, FF7, Tekken, more adult stuff, and yes in 4th grade thats how we thought lol
I actually remember being disgusted at most n64 games,  DK 64 sucked in comparison to DKC, Yoshis story sucked.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/13/18 at 8:14 am

DEAR LORD I hated n64 so much back in 1997, I wasted my damn money getting that system.

I was more into Tomb Raider, FF7, Tekken, more adult stuff, and yes in 4th grade thats how we thought lol
I actually remember being disgusted at most n64 games,  DK 64 sucked in comparison to DKC, Yoshis story sucked.
I don't have much experience with the N64 since no one in my family had one, but based on what I heard from friends and people online the N64 had a lot of classics. The Nintendo frist party,the Rare titles and the wrestling games. I personally think the GameCube was a better system because it had a bigger library and more 3rd party multiplats.

Written By: John Titor on 10/13/18 at 1:52 pm

I don't have much experience with the N64 since no one in my family had one, but based on what I heard from friends and people online the N64 had a lot of classics. The Nintendo frist party,the Rare titles and the wrestling games. I personally think the GameCube was a better system because it had a bigger library and more 3rd party multiplats.

Compared to SNES the system I had before ps1 and n64, n64 was a let down, you would wait months maybe even a yeaR! before something on n64 dropped, The school yard vibe back in 96 97 was, ps1 was cool and adult (taking a page from sega) and n64 was for kiddie sh*t

I remember seeing DK 64 and being like....... wtf is this crap is this Banjo Kazooie collect a thon LMAO I'm out.
By then I had Dreamcast 9/9/99 ! and could care less about no nintendo 64 lmao

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/13/18 at 6:08 pm

Compared to SNES the system I had before ps1 and n64, n64 was a let down, you would wait months maybe even a yeaR! before something on n64 dropped, The school yard vibe back in 96 97 was, ps1 was cool and adult (taking a page from sega) and n64 was for kiddie sh*t

I remember seeing DK 64 and being like....... wtf is this crap is this Banjo Kazooie collect a thon LMAO I'm out.
By then I had Dreamcast 9/9/99 ! and could care less about no nintendo 64 lmao
I guess to each it's own. I personally would've loved to experience the 3d platformers on the system. If you had a Dreamcast by 1999 why would you care about the 64 by that point?  I know Sega fans were really happy when the Dreamcast dropped since the Saturn was a bigger letdown than the N64.

Written By: John Titor on 10/13/18 at 9:28 pm

I guess to each it's own. I personally would've loved to experience the 3d platformers on the system. If you had a Dreamcast by 1999 why would you care about the 64 by that point?  I know Sega fans were really happy when the Dreamcast dropped since the Saturn was a bigger letdown than the N64.

n64 classic  is coming it got leaked

Written By: John Titor on 10/13/18 at 9:29 pm

my 64 got no play once Dreamcast came out, yeah thats  why

Written By: 2001 on 10/14/18 at 6:50 am

All the PS1 games are forgotten, while the N64's Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and many others have been immortalized. You know what I always, quality over quantity.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 10/14/18 at 6:53 am

Of course the N64 didn't have as many games as the PS1 in 1997. The N64 basically came out in '97 (late '96) while the PS1 had been on the market for two years if you include Japan. When 1998 came the revolutionary hits didn't stop.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/14/18 at 7:37 am

All the PS1 games are forgotten, while the N64's Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and many others have been immortalized. You know what I always, quality over quantity.  8)

DID SOMEBODY SAY...... OCARINA OF TIME!!!???

JntHVUp7m4E

Written By: John Titor on 10/14/18 at 12:14 pm

Of course the N64 didn't have as many games as the PS1 in 1997. The N64 basically came out in '97 (late '96) while the PS1 had been on the market for two years if you include Japan. When 1998 came the revolutionary hits didn't stop.

If I remember correctly ps1 was not a hit out of the gate, it wasn't until 1997 Sony was a threat to Nintendo, thats when ps hype started, But at the time the hits for n64 had long long long gaps, in fact ps1 out sold n64    100 million to 30 million ;p

Now I had both systems but I do favor ps more due to the more mature games, I still liked Mario 64 as it was a classic, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, but I hated the collect a thons like banjo kazooie.

Written By: John Titor on 10/14/18 at 12:14 pm

DID SOMEBODY SAY...... OCARINA OF TIME!!!???

JntHVUp7m4E

that will prb be on the n64 mini

Written By: bchris02 on 10/15/18 at 3:05 pm

This.

The PS1 had more games and better graphics and was disc-based instead of cartridge-based, but I can't think of any PS1 games that are as immortalized as games like Goldeneye 007, Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64.  PS1 did have a more mature reputation though and because of that, a certain subset of gamers loved to hate on the N64 and anybody who was a fan of it.

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 3:50 pm

This.

The PS1 had more games and better graphics and was disc-based instead of cartridge-based, but I can't think of any PS1 games that are as immortalized as games like Goldeneye 007, Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64.  PS1 did have a more mature reputation though and because of that, a certain subset of gamers loved to hate on the N64 and anybody who was a fan of it.

Crash, Tekken 3, FINAL FANTASY 7 lol

Written By: bchris02 on 10/15/18 at 5:43 pm

Crash, Tekken 3, FINAL FANTASY 7 lol

I'll give you Final Fantasy but I haven't heard of the other two you mentioned.  But, I had an N64 and not a PlayStation.

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 6:48 pm

I'll give you Final Fantasy but I haven't heard of the other two you mentioned.  But, I had an N64 and not a PlayStation.

I had both systems, I will say tho I hate how people act like n64 was more popular, PS1 was killing the industry n. PS1 was Zeigtgeist
in itself, it was on pepsi cans, billboards everywhere, the thingI hated about n64 was everything was blurry and very very washed out,
But Mario 64 was awesome I will admit, I loved playing wave race 64 as well.

I would say when n64 first came out THAT was the system I wanted, but as 97 rolled along it became very clear that the N64 was a step down from the SNES in terms of 3rd party, Playstation became my choice very quickly, I got an n64 after the fact I didn't really want it tho.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/18 at 7:00 pm

My Favorites:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario
Mario Kart
Gex
Donkey Kong

Carlos liked Body Harvest.

There are probably others that I have forgotten.

We still have the system & games but it is not hooked up. We even still have the original Nintendo system and some games. Again, not hooked up.

Cat

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 7:14 pm

My Favorites:

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Gex
Donkey Kong

We still have the system & games but it is not hooked up. We even still have the original Nintendo system and some games. Again, not hooked up.

Cat

you guys should get  nes mini it looks great on hd tvs

Written By: mc98 on 10/15/18 at 7:22 pm

I didn't grow up with the N64 and couldn't care less about it. The Gamecube is where it's at. 2003-2006 was the best time for me because of the Gamecube and PS2. The Wii wasn't as fun as the Gamecube but it was enjoyable nonetheless. The Wii U was a major disappointment but a lot of the games were good, it's such as shame that the games were wasted on such a lackluster console. Right now, the Switch is a huge step up from the Wii U. Nintendo really nailed it with the Switch.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/15/18 at 8:18 pm

For me personally, while I was more of a PS1 kid growing up I always appreciated the N64. I actually never owned a N64 weirdly enough, but the nostalgia of playing games like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Late 90s WWF Games, Goldeneye, Turok, & (most certainly) Ocarina of Time at friends/cousins houses back in the day just brings back great memories from my childhood. The nostalgia of playing N64 is just as prevalent as my nostalgia of playing PS1, despite only owning the latter. That was the magic of the N64.

The mere fact that it was the first console to offer 4-player multiplayer, at a time when local-multiplayer was at its apex in popularity, helped make the console the ultimate 'party system'. PS1 never really had that appeal. People I knew growing up whom had an N64/GameCube seldom opted in playing PS1/PS2 at friends houses, especially with a huge group of them. However, kids that owned a PS1/PS2 (I was one of those kids) never declined the offer in playing N64/GameCube at friends houses, due to those fun experiences.

HsINR_PZGQEFGemTG8NPxQ
lbRYMLu1fScm1DDwqUGqO0

To this day, I can still play games like Mario Kart 64, Mario Party (particularly the 1-6 era), Super Smash Bros. Melee, etc. with my buddies and have a good time 8).

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 8:45 pm

I didn't grow up with the N64 and couldn't care less about it. The Gamecube is where it's at. 2003-2006 was the best time for me because of the Gamecube and PS2. The Wii wasn't as fun as the Gamecube but it was enjoyable nonetheless. The Wii U was a major disappointment but a lot of the games were good, it's such as shame that the games were wasted on such a lackluster console. Right now, the Switch is a huge step up from the Wii U. Nintendo really nailed it with the Switch.

how old are u lol  that could be why

The 6th gen era is my 1# fav I would say, PS2 was THE console of the early/mid 2000s

Written By: John Titor on 10/15/18 at 8:48 pm

For me personally, while I was more of a PS1 kid growing up I always appreciated the N64. I actually never owned a N64 weirdly enough, but the nostalgia of playing games like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Late 90s WWF Games, Goldeneye, Turok, & (most certainly) Ocarina of Time at friends/cousins houses back in the day just brings back great memories from my childhood. The nostalgia of playing N64 is just as prevalent as my nostalgia of playing PS1, despite only owning the latter. That was the magic of the N64.

The mere fact that it was the first console to offer 4-player multiplayer, at a time when local-multiplayer was at its apex in popularity, helped make the console the ultimate 'party system'. PS1 never really had that appeal. People I knew growing up whom had an N64/GameCube seldom opted in playing PS1/PS2 at friends houses, especially with a huge group of them. However, kids that owned a PS1/PS2 (I was one of those kids) never declined the offer in playing N64/GameCube at friends houses, due to those fun experiences.

HsINR_PZGQEFGemTG8NPxQ
lbRYMLu1fScm1DDwqUGqO0

To this day, I can still play games like Mario Kart 64, Mario Party (particularly the 1-6 era), Super Smash Bros. Melee, etc. with my buddies and have a good time 8).

n64 was more of a party system that you would play over a friends house, and ps1 was like the adult system u play at like 10 pm lol
Having both I can say my n64 only got used when people were playing Mario Kart

Written By: mqg96 on 10/15/18 at 10:40 pm

I'll say the GameCube was more mature but the N64 is highly respected by the modern day PlayStation and Xbox crowd so it's definitely more mature than the wii and wii u.

Incorrect Mario, look at the history of the N64 in comparison to the Gamecube, the library, sales and demographic. The N64 was the most mature Nintendo console of all the Nintendo consoles. It wasn't the most popular but it was the most mature for sure. The Gamecube (purple launch box style) was a way kiddier console and it wasn't even close. Both consoles were still great for its own purposes though.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/15/18 at 10:42 pm

My Favorites:

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Gex
Donkey Kong

Cat

n64 was more of a party system that you would play over a friends house, and ps1 was like the adult system u play at like 10 pm lol
Having both I can say my n64 only got used when people were playing Mario Kart

fOt5EvxWlCc

Written By: Howard on 10/16/18 at 8:46 am

My Favorites:

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Gex
Donkey Kong

Cat

Do you still play the video games Cat?

Written By: annimal on 10/16/18 at 1:59 pm

I'm a Wario  I'm a gonna win

Written By: John Titor on 10/16/18 at 4:03 pm

fOt5EvxWlCc

I mean in comparison to other Nintendo consoles maybe, but back in 1997 n64 was thought as the kiddie system, The Playstation had advertisments by Spice Girls, MTV, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, literally every 5 min on national tv lol Crash Bandicoot actually got arrested at Nintendo headquarters in a commercial lol  PS1 was as adult as u can be.

Now Gamecube yeah that system was pretty much fisher price is a box lol

Kudos to head of Sony during that time, ( I think Sega advertisers were hired by them)  they had so much exposure with commercials.
I hardly remember any n64 commercials other than smash brothers (and that was at the end of its cycle)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/18 at 4:16 pm

Do you still play the video games Cat?

Not really. I do play games on my computer or tablet-solitaire, match-3 games, slot games & such. I also play in the arcade here once in a while. Carlos plays Civilization all the time.

Cat

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/16/18 at 11:55 pm

I mean in comparison to other Nintendo consoles maybe, but back in 1997 n64 was thought as the kiddie system, The Playstation had advertisments by Spice Girls, MTV, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, literally every 5 min on national tv lol Crash Bandicoot actually got arrested at Nintendo headquarters in a commercial lol  PS1 was as adult as u can be.

Now Gamecube yeah that system was pretty much fisher price is a box lol

Kudos to head of Sony during that time, ( I think Sega advertisers were hired by them)  they had so much exposure with commercials.
I hardly remember any n64 commercials other than smash brothers (and that was at the end of its cycle)
Lol I never'd thought of the Gamecube as kiddie, granted I was a kid at the time but the Gamecube felt like a gamming console to me especially comared to the Wii, Wii-U, and Switch. The N64 may have had a larger audience but the funtastic design and the cartridge gave the 64 a more childlike feel. My older cousins never'd had a problem playing the gamecube. And The library of the gamecube had plenty of Teen and Mature titles like

Soul Calibur 2,
the WWE games,
True Crime,
Smash Bros Melee,
Metroid  Prime 1 and 2,
Shadow the Hedhog
Naruto Clash of Ninja 1 and 2
Dbz budokai series
Enteral Darknees
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam fight for NY
The Tony Hawk Underground series

Most of these games would've have made it on the Wii and Wii-U and it was the last console the have a decent chunk of EA and 2K sports games, so it was mature enough for a teenager and a adult to enjoy. Had Nintendo advertise the Black GameCube more often more gamers would've took it more seriously. Heck there was an episode of My Wife And Kids where Michael was playing the Gamecube like how gamers today play the Xbox nowadays, so the Gamecube was definitely Nintendo’s last attempt to appeal to hardcore gammers who don't buy Nintendo 1st party games.

Written By: John Titor on 10/17/18 at 12:15 pm

Lol I never'd thought of the Gamecube as kiddie, granted I was a kid at the time but the Gamecube felt like a gamming console to me especially comared to the Wii, Wii-U, and Switch. The N64 may have had a larger audience but the funtastic design and the cartridge gave the 64 a more childlike feel. My older cousins never'd had a problem playing the gamecube. And The library of the gamecube had plenty of Teen and Mature titles like

Soul Calibur 2,
the WWE games,
True Crime,
Smash Bros Melee,
Metroid  Prime 1 and 2,
Shadow the Hedhog
Dbz budokai series
Enteral Darknees
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam fight for NY

Most of these games would've have made it on the Wii and Wii-U and it was the last console the have a decent chunk of EA and 2K sports games, so it was mature enough for a teenager and a adult to enjoy. Had Nintendo advertise the Black GameCube more often more gamers would've took it more seriously. Heck there was an episode of My Wife And Kids where Michael was playing the Gamecube like how gamers today play the Xbox nowadays, so the Gamecube was definitely Nintendo’s last attempt to appeal to hardcore gammers who don't buy Nintendo 1st party games.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/18 at 2:50 pm

Not really. I do play games on my computer or tablet-solitaire, match-3 games, slot games & such. I also play in the arcade here once in a while. Carlos plays Civilization all the time.

Cat

Even at age 44, I still play video games but I only have one.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/17/18 at 3:16 pm

Who plays video games?

Written By: Howard on 10/17/18 at 3:21 pm

Who plays video games?

I still do (occasionally)

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/17/18 at 3:23 pm

I still do (occasionally)

Every once in a while I bust out my old NES or Atari 2600  ;D  But I don't play anything current.

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 3:17 pm

Statistics 1, OP 0.

Written By: John Titor on 10/21/18 at 4:01 pm

Statistics 1, OP 0.

OP 1 Statistics 0

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 5:30 pm

Mindless OP troll is mindless.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/18 at 6:05 pm

PlayStation fans love to hate. The PlayStation is typically for mature audiences as the Nintendo 64 was uniquely mature, potentially offering games for both audiences.

The PlayStation games for child audiences had the most magic. The Nintendo 64 is a way more magical experience.

Written By: annimal on 10/21/18 at 6:15 pm

I don't have anything to play any more

Written By: John Titor on 10/21/18 at 7:42 pm

I don't have anything to play any more

I am getting a playstation classic just for 1997 thrills, Maybe a SNES classic as well.
Love how they both are the size of my hand.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 12:58 pm

I am getting a playstation classic just for 1997 thrills, Maybe a SNES classic as well.
Love how they both are the size of my hand.

You held the Playstation in your hand when you played it?  That explains it!

Written By: John Titor on 10/22/18 at 1:04 pm

PlayStation fans love to hate. The PlayStation is typically for mature audiences as the Nintendo 64 was uniquely mature, potentially offering games for both audiences.

The PlayStation games for child audiences had the most magic. The Nintendo 64 is a way more magical experience.

That wasn't the perception at the time in 97 LOL  Ps1 was the mature system and n64 was seen as kiddie, nothing mature about it.
Goldeneye was mature ok, But Perfect Dark didn't come until later on, even in 4th grade people in my class did not like n64.

I had both systems and I HATED the n64 lol

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 1:08 pm

John, you MUST try Jumping Flash and Ridge Racer.

Written By: John Titor on 10/22/18 at 1:28 pm

John, you MUST try Jumping Flash and Ridge Racer.

I played the first one when Playstation launched in 95 Loved it

Will be playing Jumping flash on the ps mini December 3rd when it comes out !

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 1:32 pm

I played the first one when Playstation launched in 95 Loved it

Will be playing Jumping flash on the ps mini December 3rd when it comes out !

PS mini? Really? That's awesome!  Didn't know they were even releasing Jumping Flash.  I never met anyone who even knew what it was but I loved that game so much.  I remember it was on the sample disc that came with the original PS back in 95/96.  There was also some sort of futuristic racing game that I'd love to play or even see a youtube video of, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

Written By: John Titor on 10/22/18 at 3:15 pm

PS mini? Really? That's awesome!  Didn't know they were even releasing Jumping Flash.  I never met anyone who even knew what it was but I loved that game so much.  I remember it was on the sample disc that came with the original PS back in 95/96.  There was also some sort of futuristic racing game that I'd love to play or even see a youtube video of, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

yup its like the nes classic,  I think you ment Wipeout, I hope thats included on the classic as well

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/143/590x/PlayStation-Classic-1034414.jpg?r=1540110621417

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 3:18 pm

yup its like the nes classic,  I think you ment Wipeout, I hope thats included on the classic as well

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/143/590x/PlayStation-Classic-1034414.jpg?r=1540110621417

YES!!! OMG that's it!!  You solved a very old mystery for me.  Thanks!

Written By: annimal on 10/22/18 at 4:25 pm

I think I just want a solitaire game on my computer

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/26/18 at 2:09 am

I agree with Bchris and Slowpoke. Sure, there are people who remember the significant PS1 games such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, FF7, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid, but honestly how many other games do people truly recall to this day? There were thousands of PS1 games in towards the end of the cycle that it made it easier for Sony fans to forget most of the titles. I also disagree with John saying that the N64 failed and that it was a child console. For one, there was actually a ton of T and M rated games for the N64 and not just Goldeneye. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, the WWF/WCW/Wrestlemania games, Conker's Bad Fur Day, the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, Perfect Dark, 007: The World is Not enough, Castlevania, Command and Conquer, Jet Force Gemini, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Starcraft 64, Turok trilogy, Duke Nukem, Doom 64 and the South Park games all had a rating higher than E. Now, most of these came out after 1997, but it still goes back to my point. Besides, I think John underestimated the N64 in 1997 especially since it was barely released therefore there wasn't going to be a bunch of games on the system anyway. She really didn't the N64 a chance to redeem itself. Two, there are games on the console that have replay value and not just Super Mario  64. Others also include Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Bros, MK64, Mario Tennis, Star Fox 64, Kirby 64, the two Pokemon Stadium titles, DK64, the two Banjo titles (You may not like Collect-a-thons, but these are a classic!), the two Zelda titles, the Mario Party trilogy, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, the Bomberman games, Goldeneye, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Yoshi's Story. Those two factors are enough to say that the N64 was a success in its own right. Of course, it didn't sell more than the PS1, but people can't deny that it wasn't really a flop either.

Crash is Crash Bandicoot and Tekken is a fighting game series like Mortal Kombat.

Lol, I never thought of the Gamecube as kiddy, granted I was a kid at the time but the Gamecube felt like a gaming console to me especially compared to the Wii, Wii-U, and Switch. The N64 may have had a larger audience but the fantastic design and the cartridge gave the 64 a more childlike feel. My older cousins never had a problem playing the GameCube. And The library of the Gamecube had plenty of Teen and Mature titles like:

Soul Calibur 2,
the WWE games,
True Crime,
Smash Bros Melee,
Metroid  Prime 1 and 2,
Shadow the Hedgehog
Dbz Budokai series
Enteral Darkness
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam Fight for NY

Most of these games would've have made it on the Wii and Wii-U and it was the last console they have a decent chunk of EA and 2K sports games, so it was mature enough for a teenager and an adult to enjoy. Had Nintendo advertise the Black GameCube more often more gamers would've taken it more seriously. Heck, there was an episode of My Wife And Kids where Michael was playing the Gamecube like how gamers today play the Xbox nowadays, so the Gamecube was definitely Nintendo’s last attempt to appeal to hardcore gamers who don't buy Nintendo's 1st party games.
I agree with you as well! Yeah, the GC may have looked childlike due to its design, but that doesn't mean there weren't any mature games on there. Others on the GC also include the three 007 games: Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, and Everything or Nothing, the Star Fox games, The Star Wars games, F-Zero GX, the Harry Potter games, the Medal of Honor games, the Resident Evil games, The Simpsons Hit and Run, Lord of the Rings games, The Chronicles of Narnia, the BMX games, Call of Duty, The Sims and much more.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 9:37 am

N64!! :D But I loved the ps1 as well!!

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 2:35 pm

I agree with Bchris and Slowpoke. Sure, there are people who remember the significant PS1 games such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, FF7, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid, but honestly how many other games do people truly recall to this day? There were thousands of PS1 games in towards the end of the cycle that it made it easier for Sony fans to forget most of the titles. I also disagree with John saying that the N64 failed and that it was a child console. For one, there was actually a ton of T and M rated games for the N64 and not just Goldeneye. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, the WWF/WCW/Wrestlemania games, Conker's Bad Fur Day, the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, Perfect Dark, 007: The World is Not enough, Castlevania, Command and Conquer, Jet Force Gemini, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Starcraft 64, Turok trilogy, Duke Nukem, Doom 64 and the South Park games all had a rating higher than E. Now, most of these came out after 1997, but it still goes back to my point. Besides, I think John underestimated the N64 in 1997 especially since it was barely released therefore there wasn't going to be a bunch of games on the system anyway. She really didn't the N64 a chance to redeem itself. Two, there are games on the console that have replay value and not just Super Mario  64. Others also include Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Bros, MK64, Mario Tennis, Star Fox 64, Kirby 64, the two Pokemon Stadium titles, DK64, the two Banjo titles (You may not like Collect-a-thons, but these are a classic!), the two Zelda titles, the Mario Party trilogy, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, the Bomberman games, Goldeneye, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Yoshi's Story. Those two factors are enough to say that the N64 was a success in its own right. Of course, it didn't sell more than the PS1, but people can't deny that it wasn't really a flop either.
Crash is Crash Bandicoot and Tekken is a fighting game series like Mortal Kombat.
I agree with you as well! Yeah, the GC may have looked childlike due to its design, but that doesn't mean there weren't any mature games on there. Others on the GC also include the three 007 games: Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, and Everything or Nothing, the Star Fox games, The Star Wars games, F-Zero GX, the Harry Potter games, the Medal of Honor games, the Resident Evil games, The Simpsons Hit and Run, Lord of the Rings games, The Chronicles of Narnia, the BMX games, Call of Duty, The Sims and much more.

Not underestimating N64,  it had a power house Mario 64 to start it off, and a few games every few months, but the system was perceived as a child system by everyone in my class in 1997 (it's why I got a playstation instead of an n64) altho i got n64 a few weeks later as a gift.  I had both. In 4th grade everyone in my class was under the impression that the n64 sucked. Ps1 was seen as a cooler adult console similar to how Sega Genesis presented itself. Also Playstation had commercial on tv every hour, Final Fantasy 7, Crash invading Nintendo,  Laura Croft with her gun in the water, Nintendo could not even compete on the hype scale, Not to mention almost all third party games went to Sony, And when Nintendo did get a Resident Evil or whatever it was 2 years 2 late.  Of course 64 has some mature titles later because they knew they were losing, SNES tried this with the PLAY IT LOUD campaign in 94 because sega was whooping its ass. You are forgetting titles like Resident Evil 2 came on n64 when they hype already happened for it on ps1. Perfect Dark was mature yes but that was what 2000?  People were already weaning off n64 by then.  N64 sold like 30 million, Playstation sold like 150 million or something like that... that says it all, the public chose the best system.

Don't even get me started with Barney the Dinosaur Gamecube, If you said in Fall 2001 you were getting a Gamecube instead of a ps2
you would be Clowned.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/26/18 at 9:39 pm

Not underestimating N64,  it had a power house Mario 64 to start it off, and a few games every few months, but the system was perceived as a child system by everyone in my class in 1997 (it's why I got a playstation instead of an n64) altho i got n64 a few weeks later as a gift.  I had both. In 4th grade everyone in my class was under the impression that the n64 sucked. Ps1 was seen as a cooler adult console similar to how Sega Genesis presented itself. Also Playstation had commercial on tv every hour, Final Fantasy 7, Crash invading Nintendo,  Laura Croft with her gun in the water, Nintendo could not even compete on the hype scale, Not to mention almost all third party games went to Sony, And when Nintendo did get a Resident Evil or whatever it was 2 years 2 late.  Of course 64 has some mature titles later because they knew they were losing, SNES tried this with the PLAY IT LOUD campaign in 94 because sega was whooping its ass. You are forgetting titles like Resident Evil 2 came on n64 when they hype already happened for it on ps1. Perfect Dark was mature yes but that was what 2000?  People were already weaning off n64 by then.  N64 sold like 30 million, Playstation sold like 150 million or something like that... that says it all, the public chose the best system.

Don't even get me started with Barney the Dinosaur Gamecube, If you said in Fall 2001 you were getting a Gamecube instead of a ps2
you would be Clowned.
Lol Barney, I guess it for you late 80s borns it was seen as a kiddy console but for those born in the early 90s and after look at it different.

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 10:15 pm

Lol Barney, I guess it for you late 80s borns it was seen as a kiddy console but for those born in the early 90s and after look at it different.

yupp it was 100%  It was embarrassing to even say you liked Nintendo in the late 90s other than pokemon.

That switch from SNES to Playstation was overnight in 1997, it took awhile tho for Sony to gain ground as n64 was winning
for the last few months of 1996.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 10:17 pm

yupp it was 100%  It was embarrassing to even say you liked Nintendo in the late 90s other than pokemon.

That switch from SNES to Playstation was overnight in 1997, it took awhile tho for Sony to gain ground as n64 was winning
for the last few months of 1996.
Nintendo was still popular in the late 90s

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 10:18 pm

Nintendo was still popular in late 90s

Not as popular as SNES was and it actually sold less,  Playstation sold close to 100 million consoles and N64 only sold 30 million.
Nintendo is lucky they got Pokemon to be a hit in the usa otherwise they would prob failed ever harder.

The general impression from 4th grade- 7th was that n64 wasn't that impressive and it was lame.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 10:25 pm

I got my n64 Christmas of 97 and didn't really fall from playing it around the time I got my ps2 in Christmas of 2002.I also had a ps1 but I only played it here and there.

N64>ps1
PS2>xbox

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 10:29 pm

I got my n64 Christmas of 97 and didn't really fall from playing it around the time I got my ps2 in Christmas of 2002.I also had a ps1 but I only played it here and there.

N64>ps1
PS2>xbox

Wrong, Playstation won that generations console war therefore the ps1 was better. Also N64 sold less than SNES which is a failure.
N64 lost almost all third partys which is a failure, and whenever a third party did go to n64 it was 2 years late port.

Playstation destroyed nintendo in the late 90s in terms of brand in terms of hype in terms of commercial value.
Nintendo lost so hard that gen, infact Sega Saturn beat n64 in Japan in terms of sales and Saturn was a dead system.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 10:33 pm

Wrong, Playstation won that generations console war therefore the ps1 was better. Also N64 sold less than SNES which is a failure.
N64 lost almost all third partys which is a failure, and whenever a third party did go to n64 it was 2 years late port.

Playstation destroyed nintendo in the late 90s in terms of brand in terms of hype in terms of commercial value.
Nintendo lost so hard that gen, infact Sega Saturn beat n64 in Japan in terms of sales and Saturn was a dead system.
I know in reality ps1 owns but for me I enjoyed n64 a little more than the ps1.

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 10:34 pm

I know in reality ps1 owns but but for me I enjoyed n64 a little more than the ps1.

I liked Mario 64 and Goldeneye

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 10:37 pm

I liked Mario 64 and Goldeneye
GoldenEye is my favorite n64 game and I still play it to this day that was one of the first games I got and couldn't stop playing on the n64!

Written By: John Titor on 10/26/18 at 10:39 pm

GoldenEye is my favorite n64 game and I still play it to this day that was one of the first games I got and couldn't stop playing on the n64!

That game had tons of replay, the thing I hated about n64 all of its sequels sucked.

Dk 64 was not better than any Country game
Yoshis story sucked compared to SMW 2

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/26/18 at 10:47 pm

That game had tons of replay, the thing I hated about n64 all of its sequels sucked.

Dk 64 was not better than any Country game
Yoshis story sucked compared to SMW 2
yeah even though I played dk64 sometimes it wasn't one if my favorite but games I barely played smw 2 these are my favorite n64 games

GoldenEye
Pokemon stadium
Pokemon stadium 2
Doom
WWF no mercy
Banjo tooie
Resident evil 2
Legend of Zelda ocrina

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/26/18 at 11:15 pm

Most second and third attempts at things we loved in the yuppie 90s (1990-1991) were failures. I saw a N64 logo shirt at JCPenney last year, so that puts it ahead of all of the rest of them for me. It’s really been forever since the general public heard about The Next Mutation incarnation of the Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe Extreme, Extreme Ghostbusters, and Inspector Gadget’s Field Trip. None of them were successful because late Xers, Xennials, and Millennials had latched on to the Sony PlayStation, Animaniacs, and all things Power Rangers at that point in time. Then, we started living in the 2000s and the Nintendo Wii outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3. I don’t even know where the Power Rangers franchise was in 2007, but they had been dropped by a large number of fans who enjoyed the seasons made in the 90s and early 2000s for newer TV show characters.  Old is always getting replaced with new, it’s the cycle of life. Super Mario was big when Super Mario Brothers 3 came out, but Nintendo could not stay on top for the rest of the 90s. Nothing stays on top forever.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/18 at 3:58 pm

Nintendo was still popular in the late 90s

Don't forget Gameboy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/18 at 4:07 pm

Not underestimating N64. it had a powerhouse Mario 64 to start it off, and a few games every few months, but the system was perceived as a child system by everyone in my class in 1997 (it's why I got a PlayStation instead of an n64) altho I got n64 a few weeks later as a gift.  I had both. In 4th grade everyone in my class was under the impression that the n64 sucked. Ps1 was seen as a cooler adult console similar to how Sega Genesis presented itself. Also Playstation had commercial on tv every hour, Final Fantasy 7, Crash invading Nintendo,  Laura Croft with her gun in the water, Nintendo could not even compete on the hype scale, Not to mention almost all third party games went to Sony, And when Nintendo did get a Resident Evil or whatever it was 2 years 2 late.  Of course, 64 has some mature titles later because they knew they were losing, SNES tried this with the PLAY IT LOUD campaign in 94 because Sega was whooping its ass. You are forgetting titles like Resident Evil 2 came on n64 when they hype already happened for it on ps1. Perfect Dark was mature yes but that was what 2000?  People were already weaning off n64 by then.  N64 sold like 30 million, Playstation sold like 150 million or something like that... that says it all, the public chose the best system.

Don't even get me started with Barney the Dinosaur Gamecube If you said in Fall 2001 you were getting a Gamecube instead of a ps2
you would have been clowned by others.
You did in 1997. You didn't know what was going to be on the N64 since it had barely been out that year. Besides, there were already some mature/general games on the system itself being Goldeneye, Madden, Star Fox 64, Turok, Doom 64, Waverace 64, Duke Nukem 64, FIFA, WCW and even Bomberman by that time. Oh, and the only third-party support Nintendo lost was the Japanese ones. They actually still had the American (or Western) third-party support such as Acclaim, EA Sports, Midway, Rare and THQ.

SNES also had tons of mature titles. Does Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Madden, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, The Addams Family, for example not ring a bell? As for the GC, I find it hard to believe that people would have been laughed at for picking the console over the PS2. I mean, one of the launch titles was Super Smash Bros Melee and that definitely was not a child game.

BTW, just because you and your class in 1997 concluded that the N64 was a "child" system doesn't mean others of thought of it the same way. There are people out there who loved the system despite its flaws and they weren't even kids during its cycle.

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/18 at 5:20 pm

You did in 1997. You didn't know what was going to be on the N64 since it had barely been out that year. Besides, there were already some mature/general games on the system itself being Goldeneye, Madden, Star Fox 64, Turok, Doom 64, Waverace 64, Duke Nukem 64, FIFA, WCW and even Bomberman by that time. Oh, and the only third-party support Nintendo lost was the Japanese ones. They actually still had the American (or Western) third-party support such as Acclaim, EA Sports, Midway, Rare and THQ.

SNES also had tons of mature titles. Does Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Madden, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, The Addams Family, for example not ring a bell? As for the GC, I find it hard to believe that people would have been laughed at for picking the console over the PS2. I mean, one of the launch titles was Super Smash Bros Melee and that definitely was not a child game.

BTW, just because you and your class in 1997 concluded that the N64 was a "child" system doesn't mean others of thought of it the same way. There are people out there who loved the system despite its flaws and they weren't even kids during its cycle.

I got the n64 as a gift, I didn't even want it, we all thought n64 was going to be big at first, but we quickly realized the system wasn't showing much unless it was a Mario 64 or Banjo game.  Why are you brushing third party support, CAPCOM was huge,  Street fighter was HUGE, MEGA MAN was HUGE,  RESIDENT EVIL WAS HUGE lol How can you even downplay that lol! When n64 did get Resident Evil it was 2 late !  Acclaim always sucked in that gen not one was checking for acclaim like that. SQUARE and Final Fantasy became SONY exclusive for awhile and FF7 is the game that made people switch to playstation !

So you say no one viewed n64 or gamecube as a child system in 1997 and  late 2001 respectively ok lets put your views to the test

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/when-did-nintendo-first-get-deemed-as-childish-by-gamers.646799/page-5

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/631516-wii-u/68075023

There you go right there, it is clear as day that others view Nintendo as being a kiddie system.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/18 at 5:52 pm

I got the n64 as a gift, I didn't even want it, we all thought n64 was going to be big at first, but we quickly realized the system wasn't showing much unless it was a Mario 64 or Banjo game.  Why are you brushing third party support, CAPCOM was huge,  Streetfighter was HUGE, MEGA MAN was HUGE,  RESIDENT EVIL WAS HUGE lol How can you even downplay that lol! When n64 did get Resident Evil it was 2 late!  Acclaim always sucked in that gen not one was checking for acclaim like that. SQUARE and Final Fantasy became SONY exclusive for a while and FF7 is the game that made people switch to PlayStation!

So you say no one viewed n64 or GameCube as a child system in 1997 and  late 2001 respectively ok lets put your views to the test

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/when-did-nintendo-first-get-deemed-as-childish-by-gamers.646799/page-5

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/631516-wii-u/68075023

There you go right there, it is clear as day that others view Nintendo as being a kiddie system.
I'm not. I was saying that the N64 still had 3rd party support even if they weren't Japanese. You made it sound like that Nintendo had no 3rd party support when they did. They also had LucasArts, Konami, and even Activision which I forgot to mention.

You're still missing the point. The N64 had more classics than just Mario 64 and Banjo and it also did have mature games throughout its span and not just Goldeneye. The GC again began with a mature title which was Super Smash Bros Melee. Is that a kid's game to you?

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/18 at 5:56 pm

I'm not. I was saying that the N64 still had 3rd party support even if they weren't Japanese. You made it sound like that Nintendo had no 3rd party support when they did. They also had LucasArts, Konami, and even Activision which I forgot to mention.

You're still missing the point. The N64 had more classics than just Mario 64 and Banjo and it also did have mature games throughout its span and not just Goldeneye. The GC again began with a mature title which was Super Smash Bros Melee. Is that a kid's game to you?

Aside from THQ and Lucas Arts none of those were major players
The gamecube was a childs system, it had kiddie games , it was branded as a KIDS system.
Yes N64 and Gamecube had a few M rated games, but it was marketed as a kids system.
Playstation was marketed towards adults with most of their games being adult, yes ps1 had some
platformers but is ps1 considered a kiddie system because it had a few kiddie games ? No its adult system
because most of the games on it are adult.

Nintendo presented itself as childs toy and still does

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/18 at 6:05 pm

Aside from THQ and Lucas Arts none of those were major players
The Gamecube was a child's system, it had kiddie games, it was branded as a KIDS system.
Yes N64 and Gamecube had a few M rated games, but it was marketed as a kids system.
PlayStation was marketed towards adults with most of their games being adult, yes ps1 had some
platformers but is ps1 considered a kiddie system because it had a few kiddie games? No, it's an adult system
because most of the games on it are adult.

Even Stevie wonder in his basement could see that.
Every console is always going to have kiddy games whether you realize it or not. Nintendo has them. Sega had them. Atari had them, and so do Playstation and Xbox. Why is (or was) it a huge deal that Nintendo had kiddy games and not the others?

Oh, and not only did N64 and Gamecube had some M rated games, but they also had T rated games as well and some of them were even first and third party games.

Written By: mc98 on 10/28/18 at 6:34 pm

Every console is always going to have kiddy games whether you realize it or not. Nintendo has them. Sega had them. Atari had them, and so do Playstation and Xbox. Why is (or was) it a huge deal that Nintendo had kiddy games and not the others?

Oh, and not only did N64 and Gamecube had some M rated games, but they also had T rated games as well and some of them were even first and third party games.

Sure, Nintendo consoles may look juvenile next to other consoles, but Nintendo games are still enjoyable to play. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer. I don't understand what's the big deal either.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/18 at 6:41 pm

Sure, Nintendo consoles may look juvenile next to other consoles, but Nintendo games are still enjoyable to play. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer. I don't understand what's the big deal either.
Agreed! That's one of the reasons why Nintendo appeals to everyone whether they are casual or not. I hadn't even played Nintendo games in 5 years, and I still enjoyed them regardless after playing them on emulators. :) 

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/18 at 6:51 pm

https://pics.me.me/target-audience-game-actual-audience-call-duty-black-op51-ifunny-ce-34064490.png

Written By: Dundee on 10/29/18 at 5:50 am

https://pics.me.me/target-audience-game-actual-audience-call-duty-black-op51-ifunny-ce-34064490.png

https://pics.me.me/game-call-duty-black-ops-target-audience-actual-audience-fact-18466985.png
Living for these early '10s memes

Written By: Howard on 10/29/18 at 7:11 am

Agreed! That's one of the reasons why Nintendo appeals to everyone whether they are casual or not. I hadn't even played Nintendo games in 5 years, and I still enjoyed them regardless after playing them on emulators. :)

I haven't played a Nintendo game in almost 30 years.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 8:51 am

Nintendo 64 was an emormous success.

Written By: John Titor on 10/29/18 at 1:22 pm

Nintendo 64 was an emormous success.

N61  30 million sold  (less than SNES)
Ps1  almost 200 million sold

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 1:27 pm

N61  30 million sold  (less than SNES)
Ps1  almost 200 million sold

That's alot!  Enormous success.

Written By: John Titor on 10/29/18 at 1:28 pm

That's alot!  Enormous success.

n64 sold less than SNES so no lol

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 1:38 pm

n64 sold less than SNES so no lol

No gaming system every sold more than NES so yes.

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/29/18 at 5:43 pm

Mindless OP troll is mindless.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/30/18 at 6:38 pm

I haven't played a Nintendo game in almost 30 years.
Dang you must've been a sega guy during the 16 bit era

Written By: Howard on 10/31/18 at 2:33 pm

Dang you must've been a sega guy during the 16 bit era

I remember playing Super Mario Brothers around 1988-89 and I also was playing with an Atari 2600 too, That's how you can tell I'm old school. ;)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/05/18 at 4:21 pm

The N64 was not a failure entirely. My cousin has a friend who remembers there being a N64 kiosk at the indoor McDonalds Playplace, Bloomingdale’s, and Macy’s.

Written By: John Titor on 11/06/18 at 12:42 am

The N64 was not a failure entirely. My cousin has a friend who remembers there being a N64 kiosk at the indoor McDonalds Playplace, Bloomingdale’s, and Macy’s.

There are kiosks for things that are being sold lol

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 10:22 am

I remember playing Super Mario Brothers around 1988-89 and I also was playing with an Atari 2600 too, That's how you can tell I'm old school. ;)
well you did say you was born in 74 so that's OG status right. I just thought you would've moved on to Sega like most Nintendo fans did in the early 90s. It just shows how video games was something that gen xers grew out of while until adulthood while millennials stuck with gaming because they were kids during the advent mature rating.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/06/18 at 10:23 am

well you did say you was born in 74 so that's OG status right. I just thought you would've moved on to Sega like most Nintendo fans did in the early 90s. It just shows how video games was something that gen xers grew out of while until adulthood while millennials stuck with gaming because they were kids during the advent mature rating.

It can't be.  I stil llistent o listen

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/06/18 at 1:12 pm

There are kiosks for things that are being sold lol

I know that!

My post was supposed to serve as a reminder that retailers and even restaurants had high hopes for the Nintendo 64 because we were still living in the 90s when the N64 was released. Nintendo was the king of gaming until sometime within that early to mid 90s transition interval. The popularity of the Super Mario Brothers over Mickey Mouse in early 1990 always stuck with Boomers until the 2000s came around. Then, in the 2000s, PlayStation gamers and their parents witnessed the shift in popularity from the PlayStation to the XBOX and Nintendo Wii. That’s besides my point. Things were looking good for the N64 when it first came out, but Sony basically upped the ante by launching better titles for the PlayStation (i.e. - Tomb Raider, PaRappa the Rapper, and Spyro).

Written By: Howard on 11/06/18 at 2:06 pm

I just liked Nintendo so much that I almost kept the system, then after that I moved on to The Gameboy and bought those small cartridges that I used to buy at Toys R Us for cheap.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/06/18 at 2:35 pm

I know that!

My post was supposed to serve as a reminder that retailers and even restaurants had high hopes for the Nintendo 64 because we were still living in the 90s when the N64 was released. Nintendo was the king of gaming until sometime within that early to mid 90s transition interval. The popularity of the Super Mario Brothers over Mickey Mouse in early 1990 always stuck with Boomers until the 2000s came around. Then, in the 2000s, PlayStation gamers and their parents witnessed the shift in popularity from the PlayStation to the XBOX and Nintendo Wii. That’s besides my point. Things were looking good for the N64 when it first came out, but Sony basically upped the ante by launching better titles for the PlayStation (i.e. - Tomb Raider, PaRappa the Rapper, and Spyro).

You ca['t buy those at those things.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/06/18 at 3:04 pm

You ca['t buy those at those things.

At the time, you could not purchase a N64 at Macy’s, Bloomindale’s, or Nordstrom’s, but the N64 kiosks gave children something to do while their parents were shopping for clothes for them. My friend’s cousin’s McDonald’s even had a N64 in the Playplace when the SEGA handheld LCD games were in Happy Meals (2003). I saw one of those handheld LCD games online and I must say I was impressed with the toy that had the background in it from the first two Sega Genesis games. I love those first two games. That McDonald’s must have gotten rid of the N64 before the late 00s, though. Things must change sometimes. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/06/18 at 3:11 pm

At the time, you could not purchase a N64 at Macy’s, Bloomindale’s, or Nordstrom’s, but it gave children something to do while their parents were shopping for clothes for them. My friend’s cousin’s McDonald’s even had a N64 in the Playplace when the SEGA handheld LCD games were in Happy Meals (2003). I saw one of those handheld LCD games online and I must say I was impressed with the toy that had the background in it from the first two Sega Genesis games. I love those first two games. That McDonald’s must have gotten rid of the N64 before the late 00s, though. Things must change sometimes.

They gave out LCD with games???

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 6:30 pm

I just liked Nintendo so much that I almost kept the system, then after that I moved on to The Gameboy and bought those small cartridges that I used to buy at Toys R Us for cheap.
Nice, by the time you finished high school MK1 released in the arcades and it caused so much controversy by the time it came out in 93 for the SNES and Genesis it let to the esrb rating. I know you was glad you were already of age to enjoy the games many kids had to sneak to play.

Written By: John Titor on 11/06/18 at 7:30 pm

Adults actually came back when ps1 got big in 97

Written By: Howard on 11/07/18 at 3:05 pm

Nice, by the time you finished high school MK1 released in the arcades and it caused so much controversy by the time it came out in 93 for the SNES and Genesis it let to the esrb rating. I know you was glad you were already of age to enjoy the games many kids had to sneak to play.

and to this day I still have my Gameboy but it probably doesn't work anymore since it's about 26 years old.

Check for new replies or respond here...