inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave Snick show?

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 3:16 pm

"Are You Afraid of the Dark?" FTW.

Subject: Re: Fave Snick show?

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 3:26 pm

Runner-up: Clarissa Explains It All.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/21/18 at 4:54 pm

Top Shows

1. All That
2. Hey Arnold
3. Kenan and Kel

All That's theme song is music to my ears to this day.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 10/21/18 at 4:57 pm

1. Kenan & Kel
2. Nick Arcade
3. Clarissa Explains It All
4. Legends of the Hidden Temple
5. All That

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/21/18 at 5:34 pm

The only reason that I didn't mention All That was because it kept going past its prime heyday in the middle of the decade (Angelique, Katrina, and Alyssa FTW).

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 12:58 pm

Is this the same as TGIF?  If so, The Facts of Life.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/22/18 at 3:04 pm

Is this the same as TGIF? 

Kind of.

TGIF had three grade A pop culture shows (Perfect Strangers, Full House, and Family Matters), whereas Snick only had one. That one, Ren and Stimpy, was my favorite of the lineup.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/22/18 at 3:09 pm

Kind of.

TGIF had three grade A pop culture shows (Perfect Strangers, Full House, and Family Matters), whereas Snick only had one. That one, Ren and Stimpy, was my favorite of the lineup.

Oh yes, I remember Snick.  Roundhouse was fun.  I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark too!  I was getting a little old for these shows at the time but I still enjoyed them.

Written By: annimal on 10/22/18 at 5:30 pm

My brother John watched Hey Arnold a lot        I probably wouldn't have watched any of them because snick sucks as compared to the good old smiles away Nickelodeon

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/22/18 at 6:11 pm

Oh yes, I remember Snick.  Roundhouse was fun.  I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark too!  I was getting a little old for these shows at the time but I still enjoyed them.

I’ve heard people say they would eat Pop Qwiz Popcorn while watching Snick. I used to watch Are You Afraid of the Dark in the dark. I could not really get into Clarissa Explains It All, but the first season of Roundhouse was up there with the first two seasons of Welcome Freshmen and every episode of Salute Your Shorts for me. I stopped watching Nickelodeon in ‘94 or so when it became the Nicktoon channel.

Written By: annimal on 10/23/18 at 11:23 am

^ and Nick was gone  even Nick jr. rocked for the young kids before Nick disappeared

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/25/18 at 7:18 am

I’ve heard people say they would eat Pop Qwiz Popcorn while watching Snick. I used to watch Are You Afraid of the Dark in the dark. I could not really get into Clarissa Explains It All, but the first season of Roundhouse was up there with the first two seasons of Welcome Freshmen and every episode of Salute Your Shorts for me. I stopped watching Nickelodeon in ‘94 or so when it became the Nicktoon channel.

'94 gave us All That, season 2 of Legends of the Hidden Temple, the final season of Clarissa, season 3 of AYAOTD?, season 3 of Guts, season 2 of Weinerville, The Secret World of Alex Mack, season 2 of The Adventures of Pete & Pete, the debut of Face on Nick Jr, as well as the long forgotten My Brother and Me. That year was the pinnacle of classic Nickelodeon, SNICK included, The Big Help included. You still had many of the early '90s shows in reruns as well that I still enjoyed in hopes that they would be making new episodes eventually, including Nick Arcade, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Welcome Freshmen, Wild & Crazy Kids, and Family Double Dare. It would start to gradually decline for the remainder of the '90s, but it wasn't really a "Nicktoon" channel until that yellow sponge with big eyes came onto out sets. It was just "less good", and I still enjoyed Nick even though I didn't like the direction it was heading, and I felt that they promoted Harriet The Spy too much in expense of new seasons of some of their shows. Also, remember also that week in November 1994 where every night on Nick at Nite they'd have a Taxi marathon? Other than that, Nick at Nite was still the classic TV block, and would be until the '00s began.

For me, Clarissa for the first couple years, followed by All That. That show for me "jumped" when Lori Beth and Josh left.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/27/18 at 4:48 pm

All That would be my vote. It never failed to have me in hysterics!  :D ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/27/18 at 6:13 pm

'94 gave us All That, season 2 of Legends of the Hidden Temple, the final season of Clarissa, season 3 of AYAOTD?, season 3 of Guts, season 2 of Weinerville, The Secret World of Alex Mack, season 2 of The Adventures of Pete & Pete, the debut of Face on Nick Jr, as well as the long forgotten My Brother and Me. That year was the pinnacle of classic Nickelodeon, SNICK included, The Big Help included. You still had many of the early '90s shows in reruns as well that I still enjoyed in hopes that they would be making new episodes eventually, including Nick Arcade, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Welcome Freshmen, Wild & Crazy Kids, and Family Double Dare. It would start to gradually decline for the remainder of the '90s, but it wasn't really a "Nicktoon" channel until that yellow sponge with big eyes came onto out sets. It was just "less good", and I still enjoyed Nick even though I didn't like the direction it was heading, and I felt that they promoted Harriet The Spy too much in expense of new seasons of some of their shows. Also, remember also that week in November 1994 where every night on Nick at Nite they'd have a Taxi marathon? Other than that, Nick at Nite was still the classic TV block, and would be until the '00s began.

For me, Clarissa for the first couple years, followed by All That. That show for me "jumped" when Lori Beth and Josh left.

Culturally, mid to late 90s Nickelodeon was known for new episodes of Rugrats. Reruns of Double Dare from the late 80s, YCDTOT, and Ren and Stimpy (MTV has the lost episodes at the time) were on the air, but Yers at the time were mainly watching Rugrats.

I’ve seen a few season one episodes of Clarissa Explains It All and I liked the clothes the characters wore, but that was it. I also came across screencaps from the late ‘91 and 1992 episodes online, but I was not impressed so much by the styles anymore.

All That was Nickelodeon’s version of In Living Color. There was a movie based off a sketch in the show, but it wasn’t as good as the first Wayne’s World movie. In fact, the surfer dude act was old by that point. I could never get into All That, it was too much of a knockoff of the sketch shows that came before it. Roundhouse was far more original than All That, but a lot of late Xers and Xennials were doing too many other things on Saturday nights in the mid 90s to watch it. All That had a more memorable logo, too. It really caught on with late Millennials so much that there were All That hats, crew jackets, and pullover sweaters in the late 90s. Both Nickelodeon Saturday night sketch shows were never as big as SNL or even In Living Color. Roundhouse and All That pretty much served as reminders that In Living Color was once a groundbreakingly popular show in the early 90s and a part of the mid 90s. Those two shows were nothing new compared to In Living Color. I’m sorry if that offends you, yelimsexa, but it needed to be said.  :-\\

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/27/18 at 9:57 pm

Are you afraid of the dark and Alex Mack!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/18 at 4:36 pm

It would start to gradually decline for the remainder of the '90s, but it wasn't really a "Nicktoon" channel until that yellow sponge with big eyes came onto out sets.
I agree. If you think about it, there was barely any Nicktoons throughout= most of the 90s considering there was 6 or 7 at best and that's not really enough to call it a Nicktoons Channel. Sure, Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy were advertised the most and all, but that's only two Nicktoons and it's not like Nickelodeon was the go-to network for cartoons during that time anyway. Kids still also had cartoons to look forward to on CBS, WB, FOX, ABC and the Disney Afternoon.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 8:51 am

Does anyone watch the new Double Dare?

Written By: 90s Bastard on 10/29/18 at 5:47 pm

My brother John watched Hey Arnold a lot        I probably wouldn't have watched any of them because snick sucks as compared to the good old smiles away Nickelodeon

As in, Welcome Freshman and earlier?

Check for new replies or respond here...