inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jonah Hill's "Mid 90s" Hit Theaters

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/25/18 at 9:14 am

Jonah Hill's nostalgic comedy-drama about a 13 year old in 1990s era Los Angeles skating culture has been released nationwide. Its received critical acclaim, and has already grossed about $250,000.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90253501/jonah-hill-makes-a-personal-directorial-debut-with-mid-90s

Subject: Re: Jonah Hill's "Mid 90s" Hit Theaters

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/25/18 at 10:23 am

I was looking at the soundtrack a few days ago. There are some singles from the early ‘90s in there from early ‘90s groups like N.W.A. and Public Enemy, but there are, also, songs released in the late ‘90s and Y2K era from Eminem and Notorious B.I.G..

It makes sense for a period piece set in the mid ‘90s to have a few titles from the early ‘90s because the mid ‘90s were the time when everyone (including myself) were walking away from all things early ‘90s and getting to the late ‘90s. What is late ‘90s music doing in a soundtrack for a film set in the mid 90s? That strikes me as odd. Otherwise, the soundtrack has perfect selections from mid ‘90s groups like Nirvana (in their Grohlvana days) and Cypress Hill. There’s even “Kiss from a Rose” on there. I thought John Titor would want to know about that, so I just put it out there.  :)

I hear there are a lot of pop culture references from the ‘90s in there. I might have to check it out when it comes to cable in the 2020s.

Written By: John Titor on 10/25/18 at 12:31 pm

I was looking at the soundtrack a few days ago. There are some singles from the early ‘90s in there from early ‘90s groups like N.W.A. and Public Enemy, but there are, also, songs released in the late ‘90s and Y2K era from Eminem and Notorious B.I.G..

It makes sense for a period piece set in the mid ‘90s to have a few titles from the early ‘90s because the mid ‘90s were the time when everyone (including myself) were walking away from all things early ‘90s and getting to the late ‘90s. What is late ‘90s music doing in a soundtrack for a film set in the mid 90s? That strikes me as odd. Otherwise, the soundtrack has perfect selections from mid ‘90s groups like Nirvana (in their Grohlvana days) and Cypress Hill. There’s even “Kiss from a Rose” on there. I thought John Titor would want to know about that, so I just put it out there.  :)

I hear there are a lot of pop culture references from the ‘90s in there. I might have to check it out when it comes to cable in the 2020s.

is this going to be one of those movies that takes place in 95 and has stuff from 2000 in it lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/18 at 12:36 pm

I looking forward to seeing this, and hope it has some Oscar Nominations, and on reading on this film, it seems to be like "Boyhood" from a few years back.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/25/18 at 1:42 pm

is this going to be one of those movies that takes place in 95 and has stuff from 2000 in it lol

Your post reminds me of That 70s Show. It should have been thought up in the early 90s and scheduled to be released in the mid 90s. Instead, the characters were wearing nothing but early ‘80s clothes and hairstyles throughout the shows entire run. The Wonder Years was not much better. The first and some of the second season of the show took place in the last year of the 60s. The obvious difference was that it was not called That 60s Show.

CBS’s Me, Myself, and I was the best nostalgia show I’ve seen so far and it was cancelled. I hear the next X-Men flick, Dark Phoenix, starts in 1992, so I’m curious to see what pop culture references Simon Kinberg will use for that film. If Dark Phoenix is anything like I hear X-Men: Apocalypse was, I might have to see it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 8:52 am

The truth is whenever I think of the early 90's, your face comes up with a vengeance like it was yesterday.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/04/18 at 11:46 am

Did anyone here see Mid90s yet?

How accurately did Mid90s portray the modest mid 1990s?

I hear there’s Super Nintendo controllers, skateboards, neon Super Soakers, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comforter, a Mobb Depp poster, and baggy pants?

What else was in the film?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 10:16 am

Did anyone here see Mid90s yet?

How accurately did Mid90s portray the modest mid 1990s?

I hear there’s Super Nintendo controllers, skateboards, neon Super Soakers, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comforter, a Mobb Depp poster, and baggy pants?

What else was in the film?
So far, no release date for the UK.  :(

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/14/19 at 10:46 am

Still haven't seen Mid90s yet, but just based on the trailer it seems interesting.

Though the kids in the film are much younger than I was in the '90's (I was in my 20's in that decade), I will still check this out due to my nostalgia for the era.

Check for new replies or respond here...