inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boy Meets World VS Wonder Years ( What show is more Iconic)

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/18 at 6:55 pm

The People of Inthe00s will speak

Subject: Re: Boy Meets World VS Wonder Years ( What show is more Iconic)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/28/18 at 7:22 pm

The People of Inthe00s will speak

It will be the Millennials of Inthe00s versus the Xers of Inthe00s. I already know who Jessica Ann, Howard, Philip Eno, yelimsexa and C_Keenan are voting for. You have SpryoKev and possibly Nally.

I can’t wrap my head around how this is a thread, but it is up.

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/18 at 7:25 pm

It will be the Millennials of Inthe00s versus the Xers of Inthe00s. I already know who Jessica Ann, Howard, Philip Eno, yelimsexa and C_Keenan are voting for. You have SpryoKev and possibly Nally.

I can’t wrap my head around how this is a thread, but it is up.

Like I said the appeal of BMW is that is was made so it can effect someone born in 87 or 2007, it taught us life lessons.
It raised us literally. The truth will win this poll.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/28/18 at 7:55 pm

Boy meets world owns wonder years!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/28/18 at 7:58 pm

Yeah, but did you count on ME chiming in?  ;D

In truth, comparing these two shows is futile because it is apples and oranges. They share nothing in common save for the fact that the lead actors of both shows are siblings in real life. "Boy Meets World" was a perfectly decent sitcom, enjoyable and well done for what it was. In fact, as far as these things go, it was one of the better ones. But in no way was it met with the gravitas that "The Wonders Years" was when it premiered in 1988. "The Wonder Years" took itself far more seriously, and was treated far more seriously, than the more lightweight (not meant in a negative way) BMW. Up until 1988 there had never really been a TV show like TWY with the use of voiceover and the strategic use of period music (and in itself it was seen as being influenced by the movie "Stand By Me" from a few years before), with the device of the narrator looking back on his life of twenty years before. In fact the very first episode dealt with the death in Vietnam of a boy from the neighborhood. This was the type of territory where BMW dare not tread, nor was it designed to. TWY won an Emmy fro best primetime comedy series and Fred Savage was nominated as best actor in a comedy series. BMW was never nominated for an Emmy. Perhaps it should have been, especially for the excellent actor William Daniels.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/28/18 at 8:05 pm

In truth, comparing these two shows is futile because it is apples and oranges. They share nothing in common save for the fact that the lead actors of both shows are siblings in real life. "Boy Meets World" was a perfectly decent sitcom, enjoyable and well done for what it was. In fact, as far as these things go, it was one of the better ones. But in no way was it met with the gravitas that "The Wonders Years" was when it premiered in 1988. "The Wonder Years" took itself far more seriously, and was treated far more seriously, than the more lightweight (not meant in a negative way) BMW. Up until 1988 there had never really been a TV show like TWY with the use of voiceover and the strategic use of period music (and in itself it was seen as being influenced by the movie "Stand By Me" from a few years before), with the device of the narrator looking back on his life of twenty years before. In fact the very first episode dealt with the death in Vietnam of a boy from the neighborhood. This was the type of territory where BMW dare not tread, nor was it designed to. TWY won an Emmy fro best primetime comedy series and Fred Savage was nominated as best actor in a comedy series. BMW was never nominated for an Emmy. Perhaps it should have been, especially for the excellent actor William Daniels.
basically everything voiceof70s said and yeah BMW was one of ABCs best shows!

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/18 at 8:22 pm

it touched peoples lives

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/28/18 at 8:44 pm

it touched peoples lives
did you ever watch my so called life I thought it was pretty good and realistic!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/28/18 at 9:35 pm

Like I said the appeal of BMW is that is was made so it can effect someone born in 87 or 2007, it taught us life lessons.
It raised us literally. The truth will win this poll.

It was intended for TGIF watchers, both young and old, but Millennials born in ‘87 and after stuck with it from beginning to end.

Boy meets world owns wonder years!!

No…no it doesn’t. Two Millennials teaming up against one Xer will not change that.

I had no idea that you were attentively observing the new television programs of the 1980s and 1990s. You struck me as one of those 70s fans who say everything took a turn for the worst in the 1980s. I’m deeply sorry for categorizing you with them; it must be embarrassing for someone (younger than you in this case) to group them with you. Who did you vote for?

From what I hear, promotions for The Wonder Years were played and mentioned on the radio quite a few times in early ‘88. I had school on February 1st of 1988, so I did not stay up to see the unforgettable pilot to The Wonder Years. Where were you in 1988, if you don’t mind me asking?

Why don’t clips from Boy Meets World appear in CNN’s The Nineties or The 2000s? Boy Meets World was only referenced in ABC shows during its run. The Wonder Years was made known through ALF, Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, and The Simpsons. The Wonder Years was even hinted at in a 1998 episode of Boy Meets World. The Wonder Years WAS the greatest of all time nostalgia show of the 1990s. I cannot name another show from the 20th century or 21st this far that changed with the times the way The Wonder Years did. The first season was something you would expect to hear about in 1988. The pilot was perfect for Boomers and Gen Xers who wanted to relive the late 60s in the latter part of the Reagan 80s. The late ‘89 episodes were set in 1969 (first year of the 1970s culturally) when Boomers started missing the 1970s. One of the characters on the TWY, Paul, even said he wanted to marry Marcia Brady in a 1990 episode. That was real cutting edge entertainment at the time.

I guess you had to be there. The Wonder Years was a real treat for people that are ‘glued to the tube’. It still holds up to this day. Everything changed when Fred Savage actually became an adult. Those episodes are harder to watch than the ‘88 to early ‘91 stuff.

it touched peoples lives

And The Wonder Years didn’t?  ???

was actually an extra on an episode (humble brag)

What episode, if you don’t mind me asking?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/28/18 at 10:06 pm

“Boy meets world made me learn life lessons literally before experiencing them, if you watch that video I  posted you will see how the people told the cast
that the show changed their lives and helped them grow up, the reason why BMW is so beloved the show raised them ,the show has universal appeal
that can effect someone born in 87 or 2007, it effects generations something Wonder years can't do.

I made a poll on what show is more iconic, We will get the REAL answer in a few days.”

- John Titor in the other thread

Boy Meets World is to The Wonder Years what Saved By the Bell The New Class was to the original Saved By the Bell. People who were of age to experience the 90s (Late Gen Xers, Xennials, and Millennials) look at Boy Meets World from time to time in this century, but it is not an intricate piece of work like The Wonder Years was.

In short:

The Wonder Years = Must watch TV show for Yuppies, Boomers with average jobs, and teenagers of the latter part of Reagan 80s into the 1990s.

Heyday for TWY: Late ‘88 - Early ‘91

Boy Meets World = Disreputable Savage ABC show that a small number of Xennials and almost every Millennial enjoyed.

Heyday for BMW: There was never one

Boy Meets World was not much different from every other new sitcom on ABC in the 90s. With that said, Home Improvement was still a better show than Boy Meets World in ‘93. There is a reason that Home Improvement shirts, caps, ties, and a video game were made after all.

Boy Meets World was a cute show in its infant seasons and I don’t use that word at all too often, but it fits for my description. Like I said in an earlier post, BMW would not exist if TWY was not a sensational TV show in the late 80s and early 90s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/28/18 at 10:08 pm

I had no idea that you were attentively observing the new television programs of the 1980s and 1990s. You struck me as one of those 70s fans who say everything took a turn for the worst in the 1980s. I’m deeply sorry for categorizing you with them; it must be embarrassing for someone (younger than you in this case) to group them with you. Who did you vote for?

From what I hear, promotions for The Wonder Years were played and mentioned on the radio quite a few times in early ‘88. I had school on February 1st of 1988, so I did not stay up to see the unforgettable pilot to The Wonder Years. Where were you in 1988, if you don’t mind me asking?

Everything DID take a turn for the worse in the 80s. From which we have never recovered. That doesn't mean I was in a bubble.  ;D

The Wonder Years was preceded by quite a bit of press, all of it positive. It was marketed to Boomers in a way, who by 1988 were in full adulthood. There had never been a show about suburban pre-teens (I think Kevin Arnold was supposed to be 12 when the show began) in the 60s who were essentially clean cut but nonetheless affected in some way by "the Sixties". Anything before then had been about kids running away from home and being hippies and taking drugs and all the usual cliches and usually negative. The Wonder Years was seen as something very new for the time.

I didn't vote for either. Like I said, they can't be compared. They are apples and oranges.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/28/18 at 10:55 pm

I didn't vote for either. Like I said, they can't be compared. They are apples and oranges.

https://media.giphy.com/media/oOTTyHRHj0HYY/giphy.gif (Confused Tom Hanks asking “really”?)

You’re the only elder I know who cares about Boy Meets World. Yet, you have Millennials on this board who claim it was one of the greatest shows in the history of the channel ABC. How can that be when 99.9 percent of adults cannot name it as an ABC sitcom?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/28/18 at 11:09 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/oOTTyHRHj0HYY/giphy.gif (Confused Tom Hanks asking “really”?)

You’re the only elder I know who cares about Boy Meets World. Yet, you have Millennials on this board who claim it was one of the greatest shows in the history of the channel ABC. How can that be when 99.9 percent of adults cannot name it as an ABC sitcom?  ???

In fairness to BMW, lots of things are meaningful to young people that older people can't make heads nor tails of. It was that way in the 60s, it's that way now. It has always been that way.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/29/18 at 12:35 am

In fairness to BMW, lots of things are meaningful to young people that older people can't make heads nor tails of. It was that way in the 60s, it's that way now. It has always been that way.

One problem I have with Millennials is that they boast about C-grade and D-grade TV shows as if they were A-grade TV shows.

In the mid 90s, a sizable portion of late Xers were on their PCs or doing other things on Friday nights. Xennials were trying to hold on to 90s culture (everything introduced in the 80s). Sadly for them, shows like Family Matters and Full House really fell off in the mid 90s. Millennials soaked up everything in the 90s that Xennials were doing. So, now we are left with 20 somethings who want to talk about everything that happened from the mid 90s into the 2000s.

BMW was meaningful to Millennials in the 90s, but that was it. To say it was pop culture like the first season of The Wonder Years is absurd. That’s like Millennials born in the early 90s saying they were “90s kids”. Too nonsensical.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/18 at 7:14 am

most definitely The Wonder Years.

Written By: John Titor on 10/29/18 at 1:21 pm

Boy meets world is winning

The people have spoken

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/29/18 at 2:24 pm

Boy meets world is winning

The people have spoken

It should be a tie.

Howard chose not to vote.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 2:26 pm

it's too soon to call a winner but I'm going to claim The Wonder Years as a clear winner in this poll.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/18 at 3:09 pm

It should be a tie.

Howard chose not to vote.

I'm sorry, I forgot to vote.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 12:14 am

Everything DID take a turn for the worse in the 80s.

This is off-topic, but what did you dislike about the 80s? Was ET ugly to you like he was to my aunt in ‘82? Did you believe that heavy metal was the Devil’s music? Were the designer clothes too expensive for you? Please tell me everything.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/30/18 at 9:55 am

This is off-topic, but what did you dislike about the 80s? Was ET ugly to you like he was to my aunt in ‘82? Did you believe that heavy metal was the Devil’s music? Were the designer clothes too expensive for you? Please tell me everything.
I was born in 1990 but I don't think 80s culture was was bad but I do think at least culturaly the 90s were better but maybe it's just my childhood side of me speaking.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 10:45 am

I was born in 1990 but I don't think 80s culture was was bad but I do think at least culturaly the 90s were better but maybe it's just my childhood side of me speaking.

I love 80s movies because it was the age of fantasy films, but the best shows and music from that time were for Boomers. I have found 90s shows, video games, and movies that still hold up, but it’s not all of them. At times, I take the same stance that my older cousins and parents do: the 80s and 90s were not the 60s and 70s. I look back at the early 90s with those holographic eye glasses that had holograms of eyes in them, whereas my aunt wears her rose-tinted glasses when revisiting her days in the late 60s and the early 70s. The only generation that is not familiar with what Hippie glasses are is the Gen Zers, so that settles that. I wanted to hear what Voiceofthe70s had to say about the 80s because I’ve met my fair share of Boomers that claim the decline of human civilization occurred in the 80s. As you can see from the post you responded to, I wanted to know everything. I appreciate you giving me your two-cents on the 80s, but I need to hear it from Voiceofthe70s.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/30/18 at 10:46 am

Why does Boy Meets World end up being brought up in every damn thread on this forum?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/18 at 2:35 pm

I love 80s movies because it was the age of fantasy films, but the best shows and music from that time were for Boomers. I have found 90s shows, video games, and movies that still hold up, but it’s not all of them. At times, I take the same stance that my older cousins and parents do: the 80s and 90s were not the 60s and 70s. I look back at the early 90s with those holographic eye glasses that had holograms of eyes in them, whereas my aunt wears her rose-tinted glasses when revisiting her days in the late 60s and the early 70s. The only generation that is not familiar with what Hippie glasses are is the Gen Zers, so that settles that. I wanted to hear what Voiceofthe70s had to say about the 80s because I’ve met my fair share of Boomers that claim the decline of human civilization occurred in the 80s. As you can see from the post you responded to, I wanted to know everything. I appreciate you giving me your two-cents on the 80s, but I need to hear it from Voiceofthe70s.

Well, I've said it all here before. After the liberal, progressive 60s and 70s I was thrown for a loop when the conservative 80s happened in the blink of an eye in 1981. Everything was suddenly different. It FELT different. It WAS different and all of a sudden everything that was meaningful and spiritual and cool about the 60s and 70s was held in scorn and was replaced with shallowness. Greed was legitimized in the Reagan era. We went from George Harrison's "Living In the Material World" in 1973 ('hope to get out of this place by the Lord Sri Krsna's grace...") to Madonna singing the praises of material pleasures in "Material Girl" in 1985. (Yeah, yeah, I know there are some Madonna fans who say she was just spoofing rather than celebrating the whole thing. I'm not sure she was, but the fact remains the thoughts expressed in that song are what the mainstream was believing in the 80s). And the "young Republicans" of the "Michael P. Keaton" type...even the phrase "young Republicans" would have been an oxymoron in the 70s.

Like I said, we've never recovered from the 80s. Those of us who were there BEFORE the 80s know that well. As to why there are some people who favor the 80s, it beats me. Maybe its for the same reasons the mainstream liked it while it was happening. It was shallow and greedy and the music absolutely sucked, but some people just go for that surface, empty kind of thing. They can dance to it. It doesn't require a whole lot of thought.

Mind you, not all of my peers felt the same way as me. Not everybody was a hippie. As we well know, some Boomers detested the hippie mentality in the first place (or "outgrew" it) and dove headlong into the 80s greed ethos with great enthusiasm. They finally had somewhere to go.

I'm a bit puzzled on this board how people who were not alive in certain decades, or were much too young to fully understand, can have such strong opinions about them. And almost always based entirely on pop culture of the decade.  One had to be there for the overriding "feel", which is why I talk of the "spirituality" of the 70s or the "shallowness" and the GREED of the 80s. Not everything was one way of course, but there was a defining feel. And to feel it you had to be there. Or all you've got left is pop culture, which is only part of the story.

Written By: John Titor on 10/30/18 at 2:43 pm

Well, I've said it all here before. After the liberal, progressive 60s and 70s I was thrown for a loop when the conservative 80s happened in the blink of an eye in 1981. Everything was suddenly different. It FELT different. It WAS different and all of a sudden everything that was meaningful and spiritual and cool about the 60s and 70s was held in scorn and was replaced with shallowness. Greed was legitimized in the Reagan era. We went from George Harrison's "Living In the Material World" in 1973 ('hope to get out of this place by the Lord Sri Krsna's grace...") to Madonna singing the praises of material pleasures in "Material Girl" in 1985. (Yeah, yeah, I know there are some Madonna fans who say she was just spoofing rather than celebrating the whole thing. I'm not sure she was, but the fact remains the thoughts expressed in that song are what the mainstream was believing in the 80s). And the "young Republicans" of the "Michael P. Keaton" type...even the phrase "young Republicans" would have been an oxymoron in the 70s.

Like I said, we've never recovered from the 80s. Those of us who were there BEFORE the 80s know that well. As to why there are some people who favor the 80s, it beats me. Maybe its for the same reasons the mainstream liked it while it was happening. It was shallow and greedy and the music absolutely sucked, but some people just go for that surface, empty kind of thing. They can dance to it. It doesn't require a whole lot of thought.

Mind you, not all of my peers felt the same way as me. Not everybody was a hippie. As we well know, some Boomers detested the hippie mentality in the first place (or "outgrew" it) and dove headlong into the 80s greed ethos with great enthusiasm. They finally had somewhere to go.

I'm a bit puzzled on this board how people who were not alive in certain decades, or were much too young to fully understand, can have such strong opinions about them. And almost always based entirely on pop culture of the decade.  One had to be there for the overriding "feel", which is why I talk of the "spirituality" of the 70s or the "shallowness" and the GREED of the 80s. Not everything was one way of course, but there was a defining feel. And to feel it you had to be there. Or all you've got left is pop culture, which is only part of the story.

I was alive for the late 80s

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/30/18 at 6:49 pm

I'm a bit suprised to see BMW losing being that most of the active  users on here are under 35. I never'd watched  the wonder years and I didn't really watched BMW as a kid being that the show ended by the time I was 4 so I only saw a few re-run episodes on Disney Channel and Abc Family.

Check for new replies or respond here...