inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons to Dislike the Early 90s

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 6:37 pm

I’m starting this discussion to hear about the gripes that people on here have with the early 1990s. I took shots at the mid 90s in another conversation on here. For those of you who do not remember, I said that mementos from that time looked as if they belonged in a second-rate dollar store (i.e.- Power Rangers t-shirts, Jurassic Park action figures, and Toy Story trace and color books). Well, evidently, I hit a nerve. It took awhile for members of this board to reply to me after that. I was just mentioning what my problems with the mid 90s were for anyone who wanted to know.

I felt guilty about what I had said on that day, so the gates are now open for posters on here to rant about the early 90s (Bush 90s).

I can tell you some complaints I’ve heard about the early 90s in the early 90s. I will proceed to do just that. I remember my parents asking me why music, at the time, had to have that “awful bump de bump de bump sound to it”. For anyone who doesn’t what I’m talking about, listen to “Hold You Tight” by Tara Kemp. In other words, they couldn’t stand the overproduction. Every song like that was ruined for my parents because they could not make out what the artists were saying. My folks were too distracted by the beat of the song we were listening too. For this reason alone, my old man kept the car radio on the oldies station.

Neither one of my parents liked Vanilla Ice either. To this day, my dad cannot believe that an artist who “stole music” from Queen and David Bowie has a TV show on the DIY network.

Both my mother and father thought the hair styles of early 90s were “stupid”. My guardians, at the time, would stare at any rattail, hi top fade, mullet, asymmetric cut, gumby cut, mohawk, crimps, and Aqua-net bangs they came across when we were walking. My mom could never understand why teens would want the Nike logo etched into the side of the hair or carved into the back of their heads. In the early 90s, you either thought you had “the look” or you wanted to be cool. People my age shudder while looking at their photos from the late  80s and early 90s now, but we would not listen to the adults at the time.

I don’t have too much time to go over the other reasons why some people don’t like the early 90s, so here is a list:

- Eye blinding neon shirts and fanny packs! Good god were they bright!  :o

- Flashy gold thin chains on high schoolers. Those gold chains were worn with everything from tank tops to turtlenecks under cardigan sweaters. All of this talk about them reminds me of an 80s song, Shiny Shiny by Haysi Fantazee. Not good for your eyes at all in the summer.

- Mass produced collectibles that are not worth much today on the black market (Batman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures/miscellaneous baseball card sets)

- Music that sounded good to my generation back then, but sounds cheesy to us now (I.e.- anything from Milli Vanilli, Technotronic, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Geraldo, Dino, Marky Mark, C&C Music Factory, The Party, New Kids on the Block, and Sir Mix-a-Lot)

- The commercials. I can’t tell you how annoying it got to be to hear these lines over and over again back then: “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”/“Excuse me…are those Bugle Boy jeans that you’re wearing?”/“Clap on. Clap off.”/“Cha cha cha chia”/“Milk…It does a body good”. Some of the commercials were funny the first time you saw them, but you got tired of them quickly.

- Everyone and their dog rapping and dancing. I have nothing against rap, but not everyone can freestyle or come up with a parody song from the mainstream rap music on their boomboxes.

- The theme songs to every cartoon in the Disney Afternoon weekday block were nauseating. I don’t know every lyric to the Ducktales theme song, but the chorus drove adults and teenagers of the time up a wall. Ducktales woo hoo! Ducktales woo hoo! Ducktales woo hoo! Ducktales woo hoo!  :D  Imagine driving your child home from school after a long day only to hear the theme from Ducktales once you got home.  :D It’s a good thing there were never marathons for Ducktales at any point in the 90s.

- The buzz about Where’s Waldo and Twin Peaks in 1990. It wasn’t difficult at all to find Waldo in any of the books for me. I imagine adults across the country were getting headaches and eye strains from looking at the pages in that book. How there was ever a Saturday morning cartoon for Where’s Waldo in the fall of ‘91 is beyond me.

One of my friend’s fathers could never understand what was happening in Twin Peaks and I couldn’t get past the creepy opening. People my age and older wanted to see what the TV critics saw in it, but no one in my area did.

- The major events of the early 90s: The Gulf War/Rodney King beating/The Crown Heights riots/The LA Riots/Hurricane Andrew

- The gimmicks failed us. Pressing the mini basketball on the tongue to Reebok Pumps didn’t make you jump higher at all and Hypercolor shirts would not change colors after being in the wash.

- ET goes home, but ALF does not. What gives?

That’s all I can think of for now. What do you hate about the early 90s (1990-1992)?

Subject: Re: Reasons You Dislike the Early 90s

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/30/18 at 6:48 pm

The early 90s seem pretty good!!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 7:05 pm

The early 90s seem pretty good!!

Seem? What did you find wrong with them? Break the news.

Written By: 2001 on 10/30/18 at 7:44 pm

The economy was awful and it was very homophobic.

I don't really hate the early '90s though. It was really interesting to hear your observations!

Written By: John Titor on 10/30/18 at 9:09 pm

Everything seemed like a pre beta version of the mid 90s but in a worse way lmao

Written By: APDCR1990 on 10/30/18 at 9:10 pm

I was just born then (1990), but it seemed incredibly tacky. There seemed to be a cultural chasm going on and you can see it from the movies, music, and fashion of that era. The year 1991 screams identity crisis. You can see slight hints of it in 1989, which grew a little more in 1990. But '91 was literally split in half between late 80's culture and what would become the 90's.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 10:22 pm

The economy was awful and it was very homophobic.

The early 90s were also fat-phobic. People called Roseanne “Grossanne” because she was heavy back then.

I don't really hate the early '90s though. It was really interesting to hear your observations!

Thank you. Here are some more:

- The neutering of Bart Simpson in the fall of 1990. Bart wouldn’t say “damn” ever again on the show until The Simpsons were switched back to Sunday nights.

- Full House
(Danny Tanner speeches + sappy music + audience going “aww” =  8-P)

- MC Hammer sells out and drops the emcee from his name. The Taco Bell commercial where MC Hammer flies down in his genie pants is when he should have quit.

- The Power Glove. It was bad enough that you had to blow into the bottom of cartridges to get the games on, then this comes along.

- The Malibu Sands, All in the Mall, Rockumentary, Mystery Weekend, and Hawaiian special episodes of Saved by the Bell. How was this show named Saved by the Bell when there were episodes that actually took place outside of Bayside high?!

- Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare. This movie was the death blow to the whole movie series. Another thing ruined by Boomer nostalgia for Looney Tunes in the 90s.

- Side ponytails. I would not want to be in a playground fight wearing my hair like that if I were a girl.

- Arsenio’s interviewing skills just weren’t that great. Let’s be honest, The Arsenio Hall Show was the hippest late night talk show at the time for the Dog Pound moments, his guests, and music acts on the show.

- The acid rain/Asbestos/Killer Bees/Satanic Cult/Ozone hole/Day After Tommorrow scare

- “Anything goes/throw on whatever you can find” trend of the 90s. Leggings do not go under shorts of any kind.

- Jorts/Tight-rolled shortalls/Mom Jeans. One question: Why?

- The PSAs with twist endings. Some of them are too eerie to talk about.

- The words “sike” and “not!”. The early 90s were a horrible time to be a gullible teenager.

- Treasure trolls. How did they work again? You were supposed to rub what had looked like stick-on earrings on their stomachs and you had good luck for the rest of the day. This reminds me of when Edie McClurg was on Roseanne. In the episode, Roseanne was playing bingo and she touched what had looked like a Russ troll dressed as a nurse on the side of the desk Edie’s character was sitting at. Edie then said something like, “No touching. No touching. You jinxed me.” After that, Edie blowed the orange hair that her Russ troll had.

My cousin told me his female classmates would actually bring their Treasure Troll dolls in school and sit those dolls on their desk to help them pass tests and answer questions. This lasted all of the way into the mid 90s until parents stopped buying them for their children because the dolls were naked.

- The return of Bell-bottoms. College kids should have stopped with the Grateful Dead concert shirts.

- Too many sex songs. This was another reason why I was not allowed to watch MTV or listen to the top 40 for long. 

- Beverly Hills 90210. Did Andrea Zuckerman look like a teenager to you?  ???

Was there anything else about the early 90s that did not sit right with anyone on here?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/30/18 at 10:53 pm

The year 1991 screams identity crisis.

The same can be said for the years 2000 and 2012. 1991 was the middle year of the era. It was time to turn away from how we were in the ‘87 to ‘90 days and move towards the ‘92 to ‘95 period. What’s so odd about that?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/30/18 at 11:14 pm

The same can be said for the years 2000 and 2012. 1991 was the middle year of the era. It was time to turn away from how we were in the ‘87 to ‘90 days and move towards the ‘92 to ‘95 period. What’s so odd about that?

2000 is solidly part of the Y2K age (1998-2001) and probably more 90's than 2000's.

2012, on the other hand, is definitely an "identity crisis" year - sandwiched between the electropop age (2008-2011) and the core 2010's (2013-2017).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/18 at 11:54 pm

The words “sike” and “not!”. The early 90s were a horrible time to be a gullible teenager.

I remeber that "sike" thing as far back as the 60s. It was not specific to the early 90s. Far from it. I always thought it was spelled "psych" though. As in "I psyched him out". The "not!" thing came much later than the 60s. though.

Subject: Re: Reasons to Dislike the Early 90s

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/18 at 2:38 am

I can't think of a single era that is more divorced from its decade's overall culture than the early 1990s.  I've always viewed 1990-92 as more of an extension of the late 1980s.  The cultural shift that occurred in the second half of 1992 into 1993 was probably the biggest of my lifetime.  The era from about 1978 through 1992 is probably my least favorite era of the 20th century.  That's not to say nothing good came from that era because there's a lot to like about it, it's just overall I dislike it.  I dislike the overall sound of the music, the fashion, the politics, and the overall mindset.  Many of the problems we are dealing with in 2018 have their roots in that era.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 3:15 am

It was at this time (the early 90s) when my listening to the current pop music began to cease. A few hit records did catch my attention, if pleasant to my ear, but as the years went on, it got less and less.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 12:48 pm

2000 is solidly part of the Y2K age (1998-2001) and probably more 90's than 2000's.

2000 was “still 90s” in the first season of the year and “00s” past that point.

I remeber that "sike" thing as far back as the 60s. It was not specific to the early 90s. Far from it. I always thought it was spelled "psych" though. As in "I psyched him out". The "not!" thing came much later than the 60s. though.

It was spelled “psych” in the 70s and “sike” in the early 1990s. “Not!” was definitely first uttered in the Bush 41 era.

I can't think of a single era that is more divorced from its decade's overall culture than the early 1990s.

There are many radio show hosts out there that agree with you on that.  :)
They skip right to the mid and late 90s radio hits for their two-hour weekly shows.

The beginning and ending eras of a decade are like the two poles of a magnet, though. My aunt (an older Boomer) only listens to music from the 60s, 70s, and very early 80s (1978-1980). She makes exceptions for a couple of singles from the first year of the Reagan early 80s, 1981, but that’s it. During the Reagan 80s, she worked and partied to just about everything on the charts. Nowadays, my aunt will sing along to the songs from the Reagan 80s that she knows if it is on the radio, but she prefers releases from the 60s, 70s, and very early 80s.

It was at this time (the early 90s) when my listening to the current pop music began to cease. A few hit records did catch my attention, if pleasant to my ear, but as the years went on, it got less and less.

You mean you did not like the incredibly sophisticated stylings of Dan Baird, Spin Doctors, and Ugly Kid Joe in 1992?!  ;D

Written By: John Titor on 10/31/18 at 3:24 pm

I was just born then (1990), but it seemed incredibly tacky. There seemed to be a cultural chasm going on and you can see it from the movies, music, and fashion of that era. The year 1991 screams identity crisis. You can see slight hints of it in 1989, which grew a little more in 1990. But '91 was literally split in half between late 80's culture and what would become the 90's.

The earliest memory u could have had of the early 90s would be 93

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 3:31 pm

You mean you did not like the incredibly sophisticated stylings of Dan Baird, Spin Doctors, and Ugly Kid Joe in 1992?!  ;D

Yes, I missed out on them,.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 3:45 pm

The earliest memory u could have had of the 90s would be 93.

Fixed.

Yes, I missed out on them.

Consider yourself lucky. Those bands coupled with Ween in ‘92…no thanks.

Let’s get back on topic:

- The Cosby Power Hour loses steam. The Cosby Show had been on the air for five years prior to Cousin Pam’s arrival and we just find out about her in the 1990 to 1991 TV season?!  ??? There were already too many people in that household after the forced addition of the sassy and smart talking Olivia ( 8-P) and her father, but Pam brought absolutely nothing to the show. It only went from bad to worst when The Fresh Prince of Bel Air took off. Then, The Cosby Show became The Always Eating Pam and Charmaine (who spoke extremely fast nonstop  ( 8-P)) Show.

Things were no better with A Different World. Dwayne Wayne started seeing Whitley Gilbert and lost his flip-up sunglasses. Imagine purchasing a cheap pair of those at a flea market in the fall of ‘91 and finding out that Dwayne Wayne was just Dwayne with a regular pair of eyeglasses. Very disappointing.

- Kiddie pop, R&B, and pop-rap was on the airwaves (I.e. - The Boys, Perfect Gentlemen, Osmond Boys, The Newtrons, Another Badd Creation, PC Quest, Jordy, Kris Kross and Voices). Thanks New Edition.  >:(

- Metal groups become soft rock artists. Wind of Change or More Than Words, anyone?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/18 at 5:20 pm

That was the case for my parents.  The 70s and early 80s were their prime, but they kept up with pop music until around 1993, when the musical shift was a bit much for them.  And I can definitely understand that.  The difference in the sound of pop music in 1995 vs 1992 is dramatic.

In my opinion, the 1992-93 music shift dwarfs the one that occurred in 2008-09.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/18 at 5:24 pm

wazeyihF6lA

These are the top 20 hits of 1991 and the only songs that actually sound 90s to me are:

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

While the first hints of the '90s were starting to seep in, it was overall still an '80s world in 1991.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 10/31/18 at 5:35 pm

The early 90s were also fat-phobic. People called Roseanne “Grossanne” because she was heavy back then.

Thank you. Here are some more:

- The neutering of Bart Simpson in the fall of 1990. Bart wouldn’t say “damn” ever again on the show until The Simpsons were switched back to Sunday nights.

- Full House
(Danny Tanner speeches + sappy music + audience going “aww” =  8-P)

- MC Hammer sells out and drops the emcee from his name. The Taco Bell commercial where MC Hammer flies down in his genie pants is when he should have quit.

- The Power Glove. It was bad enough that you had to blow into the bottom of cartridges to get the games on, then this comes along.

- The Malibu Sands, All in the Mall, Rockumentary, Mystery Weekend, and Hawaiian special episodes of Saved by the Bell. How was this show named Saved by the Bell when there were episodes that actually took place outside of Bayside high?!

- Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare. This movie was the death blow to the whole movie series. Another thing ruined by Boomer nostalgia for Looney Tunes in the 90s.

- Side ponytails. I would not want to be in a playground fight wearing my hair like that if I were a girl.

- Arsenio’s interviewing skills just weren’t that great. Let’s be honest, The Arsenio Hall Show was the hippest late night talk show at the time for the Dog Pound moments, his guests, and music acts on the show.

- The acid rain/Asbestos/Killer Bees/Satanic Cult/Ozone hole/Day After Tommorrow scare

- “Anything goes/throw on whatever you can find” trend of the 90s. Leggings do not go under shorts of any kind.

- Jorts/Tight-rolled shortalls/Mom Jeans. One question: Why?

- The PSAs with twist endings. Some of them are too eerie to talk about.

- The words “sike” and “not!”. The early 90s were a horrible time to be a gullible teenager.

- Treasure trolls. How did they work again? You were supposed to rub what had looked like stick-on earrings on their stomachs and you had good luck for the rest of the day.

- The return of Bell-bottoms. College kids should have stopped with the Grateful Dead concert shirts.

- Too many sex songs. This was another reason why I was not allowed to watch MTV or listen to the top 40 for long. 

- Beverly Hills 90210. Did Andrea Zuckerman look like a teenager to you?  ???

Was there anything else about the early 90s that did not sit right with anyone on here?
I was born in 1990 so I was born in the early 90s so I didn't get to really experience it but the early 90s has  good movies , shows , game consoles that I watched or played before but really I'm more of a mid - late 90s person.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 5:48 pm

wazeyihF6lA

These are the top 20 hits of 1991 and the only songs that actually sound 90s to me are:

While the first hints of the '90s were starting to seep in, it was overall still an '80s world in 1991.
...and it's Vanilla Ice's 51st birthday today!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 9:49 pm

wazeyihF6lA

Ice Ice Baby sounds like a mid 90s song to you?  ??? Really?

Let’s get back on subject. This whole thread should read more like a page in a slam book rather than an analysis of the early 1990s. More specifically, what made parts of the early 90s horrible to you? What about these:

- Julia Duffy replacing Delta on Designing Women because she was figuratively the biggest star on the show.

- New artists that sound like older artists. “Vision of Love” was by Mariah Carey, not Whitney Houston. “Do Anything” was by a group called Natural Selection and not Prince.

- The Major Dad episodes where the Major and his family stay at the military base.

- “Place in this World” by Michael W. Smith.  8-P

- Movies based on fairytales with the ‘89 Batman movie formula to them. Who knew moviegoers would see Robin Williams go from hearing “Oh captain, my captain” in 1989 to saying “Hook” in 1991?

Which reminds me…

- Bryan Adams crooning, “Everything I do, EVVVVERYTHING I DOOO, I do it for YOUUUU” in the summer of ‘91. Why Bryan Adams?  8-P

- The ultra softsational love songs by Stevie B, Timmy T, Tommy Page, Surface, and Atlantic Starr. Eww… 8-P

- The Lam-BADA! Dirty dancing to save the rainforest? What tha?  ???

- Captain Planet and the Planeteers. I wanted to dump a vast of waste into the sea so bad after one viewing of this overly preachy gagfest. Captain Planet was so self-righteous that you wanted one of the bad guys to punch him right in that chiseled jawline of his.

- 1991: The Year We Needed a New Rock Genre to Break. “Can’t Get Enuff” by Winger… “I Saw Red” by Warrant… “Heartbreak Station” by Cinderella…
“Something to Believe In” by Poison…

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ifpbm3lqX4s/VtxEODVbPmI/AAAAAAAAJrE/bNQgsDqTeZo/s1600/SleepEmoji.jpg

- Kevin hits puberty on The Wonder Years. Please, no more long pauses, Mr. Savage. No more.  :o

- The Anita Hill Hearings. Let the
man-bashing commence!

- Political correctness. So I can’t do the Tomahawk Chop because it offends Native Americans?

- The Beetlejuice cartoon wins an Emmy. It was never anything like the movie.

What do you guys have?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/01/18 at 6:37 am

I actually find this to be my favorite part of decade culturally since it was the first epoch I really experienced fully, and still marvel at how old school it is today since it was before the Internet became fully mainstream. But I have a couple little comments that I could dislike about this era.

Seasons 4, 5, and 6 of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, along with the Vacation in Europe sideseason (produced in 1991-92, though it didn't air until fall 1993 in America) was a new low in sillyness for that show, filled with juvenille plots that involve the mad scientist of the day or the same tired "Shredder/Krang steals energy/kidnaps April or someone else" plot along with the Turtles mostly using silly objects instead of their weapons to take down their enemies. While Turtlemania was at its strongest, the quality of its most popular property (the TV cartoon) was at its lowest, and that soon spilled over to the second two movies. It degraded the TMNT as just a "kiddie fad", and ultimately this led to the Power Rangers replacing it in 1993. A lot of the Saturday Morning Cartoons were also at a new low of silliness, especially those in that supported celebrities which was a trend that was popular in the '70s/early '80s, but had a brief revival (Pro Stars for basketball players, the MC Hammer, and New Kids on the Block cartoons were the worst offenders).

Also, technological progress seemed to be slower in the early '90s than it did during the late '70s/'80s and Clinton/George W. Bush/first term Obama years. You had silly things like digital audio tape (basically just advanced cassettes), smaller-sized compact discs and Apple II games still popular, and an "unplugged" movement that was fiercely anti-tech. In away, the early '90s was like a modern hippie movement for Generation X thanks to the emerging alternative culture. 

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 11/01/18 at 7:53 am

I think 1991 was the first mostly 90s year. The movies seem 90s, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Beauty and the Beast, The Silence of the Lambs, Boyz n the Hood, Point Break and alot more. The television was mostly 90s with shows such as, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Law & Order, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Home Improvement, The Ren & Stimpy Show and a lot more. The music sounded mostly 90s too, with the popularity of New Jack Swing/R&B, Rap music, House music, Gated Drums dying out very fast, Alternative Rock becoming more popular and more.

Here is a playlist of the 100 most popular songs from that year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYosk6VjN4iZoRWEEf8t3ARcoGbc2ZD3f

Politically, the Cold War had pretty much ended, the Berlin Wall had fallen, Ronald Reagan wasn't president, the Gulf War was happening (early in the year) and that was quite a 90s event.

Written By: charasmaticleague1997@gma on 11/01/18 at 8:41 am

I think 1992 is the first fully 90s year!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 9:44 am

Full in more sense than one, it had an extra day being a Leap Year?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/01/18 at 10:19 pm

I think 1991 was the first mostly 90s year. The movies seem 90s, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Beauty and the Beast, The Silence of the Lambs, Boyz n the Hood, Point Break and alot more. The television was mostly 90s with shows such as, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Law & Order, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Home Improvement, The Ren & Stimpy Show and a lot more. The music sounded mostly 90s too, with the popularity of New Jack Swing/R&B, Rap music, House music, Gated Drums dying out very fast, Alternative Rock becoming more popular and more.

Here is a playlist of the 100 most popular songs from that year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYosk6VjN4iZoRWEEf8t3ARcoGbc2ZD3f

Politically, the Cold War had pretty much ended, the Berlin Wall had fallen, Ronald Reagan wasn't president, the Gulf War was happening (early in the year) and that was quite a 90s event.

1991 was the year we got settled into the early 1990s.

That would be 1993.

Now, back to the thread.

- Johnny Depp leaving Jump Street.

- Keds/Tretorn women’s tennis shoes.

- 2 Live Crew. Shock humor in rap music. That’s all it was.

- Rocky 5/ The Godfather Part 3.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Their Shells. Aahhhhhh!

- Leonardo DiCaprio is brought in because Ben Seaver had gotten old on The Growing Pains.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 11/02/18 at 12:22 am

That would be 1993.

Now, back to the thread.

- Leonardo DiCaprio is brought in because Ben Seaver had gotten old on The Growing Pains.

I'm pretty sure Rocky V came out in 1990 and 21 Jump Street ended in 1991. I'm also sure that shock humour rap was already getting big around 1989. Overall, I do agree that 1993 was the first year to be completely split from the 1980s.

I think the 1990s culturally started during the Gulf War in late 1990/Early 1991 because, most people I know always refer to it as a very 90s event and also pop culture was already changing around this time. 1989 - 1992 can be referred as a transitional period between the 1980s and 1990s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/18 at 3:12 am

That would be 1993.

Now, back to the thread.

Johnny Depp in any film!

The "Godfather 3" still held it's own.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/03/18 at 12:09 am

I'm pretty sure Rocky V came out in 1990

I know. This is the ‘Reasons to Dislike the Early 90s’ thread.

21 Jump Street ended in 1991.

The last season was so weak that they rarely play it when the show is in syndication.

I'm also sure that shock humour rap was already getting big around 1989.

Were you born in 1989?

‘As Nasty As They Want to Be’ was banned from many record stores nationwide in 1990.

Overall, I do agree that 1993 was the first year to be completely split from the 1980s.

Sigh. The early 90s were not the 80s. In the late 80s, it was okay to be an Atari 2600 owner of you were a child. Whereas, in the early 90s, you would have been laughed off of the schoolyard if you or your friend were not in possession of a Nintendo Entertainment System. There were Nintendo parties in 1990!

I think the 1990s culturally started during the Gulf War in late 1990/Early 1991 because, most people I know always refer to it as a very 90s event and also pop culture was already changing around this time.

We were in the 90s long before The War in Iraq. 90s culture came out of the 1980s, not the 1990s. Roseanne and Seinfeld are 90s shows. Law and Order is a 2000s Show. It was on for every year of the 2000s (including a year people do not group with the 2000s).

1989 - 1992 can be referred as a transitional period between the 1980s and 1990s.

1989 - 80s (1977 is not old yet)
1990 - 90s (All years of the 70s are officially old says The 70s Preservation Society)
1991 - 90s
1992 - 90s

More Reasons People Dislike th Early 90s

- Splatter painted mountain and BMX bike frames from 1992.

- Bo Jackson breaks his hip.

- Tiffany replaces Janet Waldo as the voice actor for Judy Jetson in  Jetsons The Movie. Most people would rather watch the 80s episodes with Orbitty in them than sit through this again.

- Roseanne sings the Star Spangled Banner at the San Diego Padres game. Stick to stand-up. Stay far away from the mic, Roseanne.

- Teenage Girls with short hair wearing ugly rayon blouses tucked into their black pleated pants (sometimes stonewashed jeans). What happened in 1991?

- Hudson Hawk. Yippee Ki-Nay.

- Julia Roberts calls off her wedding to Kiefer Sutherland.

- Baby Talk. This was after Look Who’s Talking Too. They should have known better.

- What a Dummy, Harry and the Hendersons the Sitcom, and Scorch. Shameless rip-offs of ALF. ALF! ALF for crying out loud!

- Steve Urkel is featured in the credits for the first time in 1990. Why didn’t Carl Winslow or Laura file a restraining order against Steve Urkel? How many times could the Urkels pay for the damages Steve made without telling him to stop going over to the Winslow house?!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/04/18 at 4:02 pm

Full in more sense than one, it had an extra day being a Leap Year?

For a Leap Year, 1992 went by in a heartbeat. At the start of ‘92, I was watching Super Bowl XXVI with the Buffalo Bills (one year after Buffalo Bill danced in Silence of the Lambs on the big screen) with the In Living Color live Super Bowl half-time show, next the Winter Olympics (this was the last year in history so far when they were held in the same year as the Summer Olympics), and then I looked up and Superman was dead. Time definitely passes quickly.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/10/19 at 5:12 am

Wow a lot of hate here. This is the era were I embraced hip hop. Great music from this time:

Beastie Boys- Check Your Head 1992
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders 1993
Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet 1990

All ground breaking albums.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 4:39 pm

I did not like the new cartoons of the time. I’m sorry Millennials, but Buster Bunny, Tommy Pickles, and Ren Hoek were sloppy and ugly looking.

I noticed ‘the turning of tides’ in late 1989 when Beetlejuice premiered on ABC.

I prefer cartoons made in the mid 80s and first two years of the late 80s to those made from 1989 to 2001 or so.

Also, the comic book boom of 1991 gets under my skin for some reason.

I didn’t care for the new 70s revival either at time either.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/21/19 at 3:48 am

The Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bulls

Written By: Retrolover on 06/21/19 at 11:11 am

I actually find this to be my favorite part of decade culturally since it was the first epoch I really experienced fully, and still marvel at how old school it is today since it was before the Internet became fully mainstream. But I have a couple little comments that I could dislike about this era.

Seasons 4, 5, and 6 of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, along with the Vacation in Europe sideseason (produced in 1991-92, though it didn't air until fall 1993 in America) was a new low in sillyness for that show, filled with juvenille plots that involve the mad scientist of the day or the same tired "Shredder/Krang steals energy/kidnaps April or someone else" plot along with the Turtles mostly using silly objects instead of their weapons to take down their enemies. While Turtlemania was at its strongest, the quality of its most popular property (the TV cartoon) was at its lowest, and that soon spilled over to the second two movies. It degraded the TMNT as just a "kiddie fad", and ultimately this led to the Power Rangers replacing it in 1993. A lot of the Saturday Morning Cartoons were also at a new low of silliness, especially those in that supported celebrities which was a trend that was popular in the '70s/early '80s, but had a brief revival (Pro Stars for basketball players, the MC Hammer, and New Kids on the Block cartoons were the worst offenders).

Also, technological progress seemed to be slower in the early '90s than it did during the late '70s/'80s and Clinton/George W. Bush/first term Obama years. You had silly things like digital audio tape (basically just advanced cassettes), smaller-sized compact discs and Apple II games still popular, and an "unplugged" movement that was fiercely anti-tech. In away, the early '90s was like a modern hippie movement for Generation X thanks to the emerging alternative culture.

The CBS Saturday morning TMNT series is the version of TMNT that most Millennials are familiar with. Late Gen Xers and Xennials prefer the syndicated weekday series (1987-1990) to the CBS Saturday morning series (1990-1996).

Here are some problems I found with the early 90s:

The Batman wannabes (Dick Tracy, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Rocketeer, The Addams Family, and Hook) were never as influential as the Batman movie released in 1989.

The Sony Discman could not record songs like the Sony Walkman could.

The colors for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System dated it as a system released in the early 90s. For that reason alone, the Nintendo Entertainment System will always be better.

The fantasy movies were no longer fun like they were in the 1980s.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 12:10 pm

Christian songs (Sorry, but  8-P):

Up with the People - Up with the People (1991)

Michael W. Smith - Place in this World (1991)

Messy Speedy Uptempo Dance Songs (Again,  8-P):

La Toya Jackson - Sexbox (1991)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/03/19 at 1:48 pm

I will always LOVE the early 90s... LOVE the 90s....I LOVE my decade!!!

Written By: Retrolover on 08/03/19 at 3:38 pm

-Those darn flashy tracksuits. Surprised no one was blinded as another person was running in them at the park.

- Cars and trucks with stereos that blasted Latin Freestyle and rap music. I have nothing against Freestyle and rap. I listen to all music. The problem with the volume being so high in those days were someone on the sidewalk could have lost their hearing by being so close to those cars.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/03/19 at 6:34 pm

You were a 90s teen while I was still a child, so I have a question for you. Do you think of  before August of 1990 as ‘your time’ like I do?

It seemed like everything was right in the world for a child and teen(as someone who grew up in the 80s) up until August of 1990. You could wear high hair still and no one would bat an eye at you. “Baby on Board” stuff wasn’t dated yet, new “Real Ghostbusters” toy molds were on toy shelves for the last time, and The Bangles were performing in concert at Club Lingerie in Los Angeles. Basically, the late 80s were far from being old and there wasn’t as much Millennial culture around. The last of the blue and pink laser portrait days.

In hindsight, the 90s, as a whole, stopped being cool before 1990 was over.

Do you agree that times before August of ‘90 was the best time of the 90s for XYers and Xers?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/04/19 at 9:54 pm

- The anti-80s attitude (Our Biggest Mistake)

Unfortunately with the early 90s, people in America stopped supporting some of the fashions, musicians, actors, inventors, and etc. that we started to love in the 80s. At the time, it seemed like a good move to do because we all were headed to the future. Nowadays, that is the biggest regret that a lot of members of Generation X and XY have.

I was one of those that preferred Connolly to Hesseman on “Head of the Class”. :\'(

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 9:44 am

- No one appreciated what was happening at the moment, but the children. All we ever heard about was “the future”.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 4:07 pm

The time traveler in me doesn’t like that “Suck My Kiss” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers wasn’t getting a lot of play on MTV in 1992. It’s one of the best early 90s videos that defines the early 90s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/24/20 at 6:42 pm

- The Paul Reubens scandal

- The late 80s vibe dying, period

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/20 at 11:04 pm

Music and primetime TV was amazing in the early 90s. And I loved how the music turned so light and airy before punk and grunge really set in.

The thing I didn’t care for was the scandals all over TV. And while it started in the 80s or earlier, the explosion of tabloid talk shows really happened in the early 90s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 12:34 pm

Music and primetime TV was amazing in the early 90s. And I loved how the music turned so light and airy before punk and grunge really set in.

The thing I didn’t care for was the scandals all over TV. And while it started in the 80s or earlier, the explosion of tabloid talk shows really happened in the early 90s.

Which tabloid talk shows did you dislike?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/25/20 at 2:02 pm

Which tabloid talk shows did you dislike?

Maury. Ricki Lake. Jenny Jones. Montel Williams. Geraldo. Jerry Springer....

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 2:06 pm

Maury. Ricki Lake. Jenny Jones. Montel Williams. Geraldo. Jerry Springer....

You didn’t find Ricki Lake, Donahue, and Jenny Jones to be funny shows?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/25/20 at 3:27 pm

You didn’t find Ricki Lake, Donahue, and Jenny Jones to be funny shows?

I know crazy drama makes ratings but it’s not my kinda thing.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 4:49 pm

I know crazy drama makes ratings but it’s not my kinda thing.

What did you think about Sally Jesse Raphael?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 8:32 pm

- The death of good yuppie sales pitches happened in the early 90s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/25/20 at 9:48 pm

What did you think about Sally Jesse Raphael?

Never watched that one. I remember her signature red glasses but never watched the show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 2:09 pm

Never watched that one. I remember her signature red glasses but never watched the show.

Matching red hair with the glasses for me.  ;D

Written By: MSP10julia on 02/27/20 at 8:00 pm

When Madonna becomes controversial with her music videos Justify My Love and Erotica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_Y740aReI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhdvRWEWRw

and her NSFW book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLzxfsJiE8

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 8:51 pm

When Madonna becomes controversial with her music videos Justify My Love and Erotica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_Y740aReI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhdvRWEWRw

and her NSFW book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLzxfsJiE8

Did you see Madonna at the 1984 MTV Video Music Video Awards? Madonna was always controversial, but she went soft around 1986 with True Blue.

Written By: MSP10julia on 02/28/20 at 3:29 pm

Did you see Madonna at the 1984 MTV Video Music Video Awards? Madonna was always controversial, but she went soft around 1986 with True Blue.

Where she perform Like A Virgin in a wedding dress while rolling around the floor. yep! that's her. Queen of Controversial

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 3:37 pm

Where she perform Like A Virgin in a wedding dress while rolling around the floor. yep! that's her. Queen of Controversial

I heard what you were saying. Madonna pushed the envelope far more from 1989 to 1992.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/29/20 at 10:55 pm

Uhh just about everything? LOL!

Terrible time for pop culture.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 10:57 pm

Uhh just about everything? LOL!

Terrible time for pop culture.

Can you elaborate?

Check for new replies or respond here...