inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who remembers TITANIC?

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/05/18 at 7:13 am

This movie came out in 1998 to mixed reviews.  I remember being in a big theater with only a few people on opening night.  It was a long movie, but I wish they'd spent more time showing the boat actually sinking.  It went from "Iceburg, right ahead!" to "I'll never let go, Jack", in 16 minutes.  How did it sink that fast??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCy5WQ9S4c0

Subject: Re: Who remembers TITANIC?

Written By: John Titor on 11/05/18 at 12:01 pm

This movie came out in 1998 to mixed reviews.  I remember being in a big theater with only a few people on opening night.  It was a long movie, but I wish they'd spent more time showing the boat actually sinking.  It went from "Iceburg, right ahead!" to "I'll never let go, Jack", in 16 minutes.  How did it sink that fast??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCy5WQ9S4c0

came out in 1997 as I saw it December 1997

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/05/18 at 12:09 pm

came out in 1997 as I saw it December 1997

I'm glad someone else remembers this abomination!

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/06/18 at 12:54 am

Mixed reviews? Abomination? It set a record for most Academy Award wins!

I remember my parents went to see it, but they wouldn't let me go. I didn't actually see the movie until we got it on video. It's one of my favorite movies to this day.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/06/18 at 1:07 pm

I never saw it from beginning to end, but I know where I was when the massively overplayed song “My Heart Will Go On” was on the radio for the first time.

My friends were turning their water bottles upside down and twirling them to make a twister. The movie Twister, “Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba, and TV show Mad TV all were a big deal to everyone in my circle during the 1997 to 1998 TV season.

I preferred Lost In Space to Titanic because I saw Titanic as more of a romantic drama than a disaster film from late ‘97 into 1998.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/06/18 at 3:12 pm

Mixed reviews? Abomination? It set a record for most Academy Award wins!

I remember my parents went to see it, but they wouldn't let me go. I didn't actually see the movie until we got it on video. It's one of my favorite movies to this day.

You should have seen it on the big screen! What a spectacle to behold!  It was truly magnificent.  The theater I was in was packed, people were standing in the back.  Everyone was crying.  It was magical.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/07/18 at 8:19 am

To this day, I still don’t get what everybody’s deal is regarding their hate for Titanic...?

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/07/18 at 8:47 am

To this day, I still don’t get what everybody’s deal is regarding their hate for Titanic...?

Who in the world hates Titanic?  ???  :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/07/18 at 10:55 am

Who in the world hates Titanic?  ???  :o

WHiceVim9Wg

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 11:02 am

We were in the queue to see "Titanic" in December 1997, but did not get in for all the tickets had been sold.

Subject: Who remembers TITANIC?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/18 at 9:18 pm

I agree........ Its better than the original I think!!! (One of the few that is)

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/08/18 at 5:04 am

I agree........ Its better than the original I think!!! (One of the few that is)

Better than when it actually sank?

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/10/18 at 9:52 am

I was the movie when it came out on video. To this day I remember having to put in the second VHS after the ship hit the iceberg.

Back the 90s, there was still a lot of backlash against sappiness and teenage heartthrobs like Dicaprio despite them being popular. Leo is FAR more respected now compared to the mid-late 90s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/10/18 at 9:53 am

I also remember Titanic fever. People got really into the history outside the movie.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/12/18 at 9:11 am

I also remember Titanic fever. People got really into the history outside the movie.

Crapola.  Nobody cares about this ill fated journey.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/13/18 at 11:12 am

Well, I confess...I use to have Titanic movie posters in my room. They were mostly posters of Leonardo DiCaprio. This was in 1997 or 98.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/18 at 10:32 pm

Crapola.  Nobody cares about this ill fated journey.

Really? I remember tons of talk shows and documentaries and books and magazine covers all about the Titanic after the movie became popular.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/18 at 5:58 pm

Really? I remember tons of talk shows and documentaries and books and magazine covers all about the Titanic after the movie became popular.
Also, the director of "Titanic" made a documentary film "Ghosts of the Abyss" (2003), in which he and a group of scientists staged an expedition to the wreck of the RMS Titanic, and dived in Russian deep-submersibles to obtain more detailed images than anyone had before.

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/18 at 7:09 pm

I remember in winter 1997/1998 (when I was 4), my neighbour had a Titanic t-shirt with a picture of two main characters kissing, and I thought it was really gross ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/17/18 at 11:11 pm

I remember in winter 1997/1998 (when I was 4), my neighbour had a Titanic t-shirt with a picture of two main characters kissing, and I thought it was really gross ;D
Aww you were so innocent.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/19/18 at 9:19 am

I intended for this to be a thread where we could BASH that HORRIBLE movie Titanic!

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/20/18 at 2:45 pm

I intended for this to be a thread where we could BASH that HORRIBLE movie Titanic!

Sorry. Even preteen nu-metal BornIn86 secretly liked Titanic when he saw it.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 6:08 am

There are so many 'goofs' in the film. Check out on IMDB.

Check for new replies or respond here...