inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was New Jack Swing just like what Trap is today?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/24/18 at 1:04 pm

I know it’s an bizarre question and they’re two different genres, but they share a bit of similarities. New Jack Swing and Trap music both have R&B/Hip Hop elements, just like Singing with rap parts. And of course, their typical instruments are synthesizers, drum machines, and samplers (Correct me if I’m wrong on this one). They can be both upbeat, just like Mid 2010s Trap, with songs like Trap Queen, Panda, and some Trap nation songs and 80s/90s songs like Poison, My Prerogrative, etc. New Jack swing and Trap has rap (Obviously), and R&B elements, like The Hills from The Weeknd, Better Now, etc. But they can also be chill or sad, just like some XXXTentacion songs, and some songs from New Edition, Guy, and Soul II soul.

With the exception of mumble rap, what do you think?

Subject: Re: Was New Jack Swing just like what Trap is today?

Written By: exodus08 on 12/24/18 at 5:15 pm

I know it’s an bizarre question and they’re two different genres, but they share a bit of similarities. New Jack Swing and Trap music both have R&B/Hip Hop elements, just like Singing with rap parts. And of course, their typical instruments are synthesizers, drum machines, and samplers (Correct me if I’m wrong on this one). They can be both upbeat, just like Mid 2010s Trap, with songs like Trap Queen, Panda, and some Trap nation songs and 80s/90s songs like Poison, My Prerogrative, etc. New Jack swing and Trap has rap (Obviously), and R&B elements, like The Hills from The Weeknd, Better Now, etc. But they can also be chill or sad, just like some XXXTentacion songs, and some songs from New Edition, Guy, and Soul II soul.

With the exception of mumble rap, what do you think?

Sorry but you just offended me! Trap is nowhere near as great as New Jack Swing.  Trap is for drug addicts.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/18 at 9:28 pm

God god! New jack swing and trap are about as opposite as you can get. New jack swing brought a ferocious intensity to urban music, full of elaborate, fist-pumping hooks, richly complex and bouncy beats, and lots of harmonies. It was not only the dominant sound of the Bush '41 presidency, but also clearly influenced the Max Martin-style pop of the late '90s and early 2000s.

Trap, by concept, isn't necessarily a bad genre, but it's never employed in any way that feels like it has any pulse. The rattling snares are just applied spontaneously and don't build into anything, the tone is almost always "meh" as a rule, the flow is one-dimensional, and everything just seems limp and minimalist. If new jack swing took you on a funky ride, trap music is just throbbing filler.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/26/18 at 6:56 pm

@Infinity

Good explanation! I first heard of you from a topic called Eras of the 80s btw, and you’re really good with summarizing, gotta admit. But anyway, what do you think? Was New Jack Swing the trap of the 80s/90s in some ways?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/27/18 at 3:17 pm

And I know this is a bit Ironic but when you said New Jack swing was more upbeat, Trap has been upbeat too, like Trap Queen, Dark Horse, Don’t let me down, etc. Sure, their sound is completely different, because New Jack Swing is more rhythmic, and Trap is more 1-dimensional with the flow, but they both share similarities, Trap is mainly Hip Hop and R&B (Songs like Better Now, God’s plan, Lucid Dreams, etc.), same with New Jack Swing (Every Little Step, Poison, If It isn’t love, etc.)

I created this topic because I like both genres, they’re Hip Hop/R&B nonetheless

Written By: John Titor on 12/29/18 at 5:39 pm

New Jack swing effected pop culture, Fonts and designs had a new jack swing appeal

wacky logos like NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, or Joe Camel ads, or In Living Color backgrounds
even Sonic The Hedgehog 3, even rock music flirted with new jack swing.

jnD2mdaxUAo

It got more smoother in the mid 90's when everything was more r&b most r&b songs
of 95 had some left over New Jack elements

rtmW2Clc3E0

Even  97's City Guys theme had some left over residue of New JAck
xphmqW_5zvA

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/31/18 at 9:15 pm

I really, really see where you are going with this but I think, all in all, it's not worth making the assertion although the question isn't entirely erroneous.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/04/19 at 4:53 pm

Nope. Not even close. They try to make it sound New Jack Swing-y lol but it sounds nothing like it.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/10/19 at 3:58 pm

God god! New jack swing and trap are about as opposite as you can get. New jack swing brought a ferocious intensity to urban music, full of elaborate, fist-pumping hooks, richly complex and bouncy beats, and lots of harmonies. It was not only the dominant sound of the Bush '41 presidency, but also clearly influenced the Max Martin-style pop of the late '90s and early 2000s.

Trap, by concept, isn't necessarily a bad genre, but it's never employed in any way that feels like it has any pulse. The rattling snares are just applied spontaneously and don't build into anything, the tone is almost always "meh" as a rule, the flow is one-dimensional, and everything just seems limp and minimalist. If new jack swing took you on a funky ride, trap music is just throbbing filler.

Well stated! 

Written By: rapplepop on 06/14/19 at 6:10 am

In the sense of being the dominant urban genre yes. Other than that nope lol.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/14/19 at 1:58 pm

Why'd y'all bump this cringe thread LOL  ;D

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 4:37 pm

No. New Jack Swing was more underground in the 80s and very start of 1990. Lean on Me by Club Nouveau was the biggest early New Jack Swing hit in the 80s. Other new R&B artists tried riding on the success of that song. I know there was a remake of My Girl in the late 80s. No one really referred to it as New Jack Swing then.

I was watching some commercial two weeks ago and trap rap was mentioned. The only time I ever heard “New Jack Swing” in any thing was in the Wreckx-N-Effect song.

Check for new replies or respond here...