inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Describe the Mid 1990s

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 11:13 pm

It always fascinates me hearing about what a time period was like at a time that I don't remember, specifically the era I was born in. This is the period before I started forming memories in the late 1990s. Someone please describe to me what it was like being a kid in the mid '90s. What was popular around 1995? Was it different from the late 1990s? Was it different from the early 1990s too? What were the popular trends of the mid 1990s? Thanks!

Subject: Re: Describe the Mid 1990s

Written By: mc98 on 01/10/19 at 11:37 pm

Gangsta Rap

Written By: John Titor on 01/11/19 at 12:20 pm

It always fascinates me hearing about what a time period was like at a time that I don't remember, specifically the era I was born in. This is the period before I started forming memories in the late 1990s. Someone please describe to me what it was like being a kid in the mid '90s. What was popular around 1995? Was it different from the late 1990s? Was it different from the early 1990s too? What were the popular trends of the mid 1990s? Thanks!

Kindergarden 1st,second grade, summer before 3rd grade. I have vivid memories of this time period so I will chime in.

Everything had sheeshty worn out look to it (think Beavis & Buttheads house) Grunge music, Gangsta rap, the teens older than me were depressed for no reason. Popular video game systems were SNES, Sega Genesis, Game boy, games that were popular, Sonic 3, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Madden, Mortal Kombat 3, Megaman X, Kirbys Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land 2. Fox kids was in it's prime. Most kids watched Power Rangers & X-Men. Nickelodeon was in it's prime. Seinfeld was in it's prime as well as Married with Children. Simpsons again was also in it's prime. Movie theatres did not have stadium seating at the time (everything was flat) TGIF on abc was popular for kids.

I might end up doing an atmosphere thread for 95 to illustrate the vibe

Written By: JackSepton on 01/21/19 at 5:13 am

The most boring and forgettable part of the 90s for sure

Written By: robby76 on 01/21/19 at 5:55 am

The mid 90s were a bit dire and grungy. I mean obviously that's a huge generalisation, but they were very safe years. Think of the first few seasons of Friends. Lots of flannel, women wore bright red lipstick and looked very pale. Indie music was big and gangster rap was big. Both those genres of music aren't exactly feelgood.

Saying all that, my favourite 90s movies "Clueless" and "While You Were Sleeping" came out in 1995, so it wasn't all bad.

Written By: fgbn on 01/23/19 at 7:00 am

i always associate it with eurodance

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/31/19 at 10:35 am

Mid 90's can be summed up in 2 words:  Madonna, Evita

Written By: robby76 on 01/31/19 at 7:30 pm

Mid 90's can be summed up in 2 words:  Madonna, Evita

I remember going to see that at the cinema. Soundtrack was great... "Another Suitcase", "I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You" and "You Must Love Me".

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/31/19 at 8:26 pm

Bipolar or Half bright half dark

Written By: John Titor on 01/31/19 at 11:03 pm

Bipolar or Half bright half dark

mid 90s were not bright really at all, that was more early 90s

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/01/19 at 8:29 am

mid 90s were not bright really at all, that was more early 90s

But what about Gangsta Rap and Alanis Morissette? The girl bands like TLC tried to make the mid 90s bright as possible, and you had Windows 95 enter the mainstream especially the internet, and Space Jam, who could forget? Hehe, there were fun shows like Friends and Fresh Prince of Bel Air that tried to make the mid 90s happy as possible

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/19 at 10:40 am

But what about Gangsta Rap and Alanis Morissette? The girl bands like TLC tried to make the mid 90s bright as possible, and you had Windows 95 enter the mainstream especially the internet, and Space Jam, who could forget? Hehe, there were fun shows like Friends and Fresh Prince of Bel Air that tried to make the mid 90s happy as possible

Gangsta rap was not colorful, most rappers wore Flannels or shirts with Gunstraps vests on them like Tupac, TLC is the only really exception with their video for Waterfalls (where their outfit is shiny)  I think you are confusing early 90s episodes of Prince of Bel Air which the fashion then was Campy and neon  Vs  94 95 96 episodes where the color was more muted for clothing. Space Jam was not really neon, also that was a movie with cartoons in it so you can't really count it.

Biggest Example of this is Boy Meets World a show that started in 1993 and ended in 2000

Early 90's Episodes

https://thatsavvy.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/11001.jpg

Mid 90's

http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/mprc6w1X5ceSfPssKs9enQ5ILM6.jpg

Late 90's/Early 2000's

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5gx8Aothq8k/maxresdefault.jpg

It all depends on what section of the 90's you are looking at wether it will be colorful, muted or bright, as
Alannis & TLC all have videos spanning different sections of the 90's. A song like Red Light District from TLC in 95
is going to look different than NO scrubs which came out in 99. All 3 sections of the 90s felt VERY different't living in
them, It is kind of you kind had to be alive to really have it sink in.

Check for new replies or respond here...