inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pokemon's 1997 Infamous USA debut

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/19 at 2:41 pm

Hard to believe it, but way back in 1997 we got our first taste of what Pokemon was due to
a controversy surrounding a Japan episode that induced seizures.

For those who don't remember, Pokemon made headlines in 1997 in the United States and was all over the news.
Even the Simpsons spoofed it a year later. This would be MANY first peoples taste of who Pikachu was a FULL year
before Red & blue debuted in the United states.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bVVvRL04--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/o19f09fksxjbc0her3lm.jpg

Subject: Re: Pokemon's 1997 Infamous USA debut

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 10:52 am

guess there is no pokemon fans here

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/02/19 at 11:12 am

guess there is no pokemon fans here

Bruh, you would have got way more responses if this was a general Pokémon thread. Haha No Pokémon fan legitimately remembers it because the episode is almost non existed and the topic its self is difficult to comment on.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 11:15 am

Bruh, you would have got way more responses if this was a general Pokémon thread. Haha No Pokémon fan legitimately remembers it because the episode is almost non existed and the topic its self is difficult to comment on.

I mean not really if you have memories of 1997 ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/02/19 at 11:52 am

I mean not really if you have memories of 1997 ;)
Nah. He's right. Since the episode gave tons of kids seizures due to the strobe lights, it was banned everywhere and therefore was not aired ever again. Besides, in 1997 Pokemon wasn't much a thing yet and it was still the Power Ranger era.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/19 at 12:47 pm

I remember this incident clearly. It was covered all over the news at the time. If I recall, it was initially being reported as a "strange" or "bizarre" incident. But certain strobe or flashing lights, or even IMAX type movies, can induce seizures, especially in people with pre-existing conditions like epilepsy. I had never heard of Pokemon at the time, and I'm not sure I even knew of anime as a thing, though I had seen a "Galaxy Express 999" movie on HBO as early as 1984 or so. Something with a transparent female folksinger singing something about "my love is light years away". 

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 12:56 pm

Nah. He's right. Since the episode gave tons of kids seizures due to the strobe lights, it was banned everywhere and therefore was not aired ever again. Besides, in 1997 Pokemon wasn't much a thing yet and it was still the Power Ranger era.

Ugh no lol  Power Rangers started declining in season 3 after the movie, by the time TURBO aired in 1997 the show was almost canceled.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 12:58 pm

I remember this incident clearly. It was covered all over the news at the time. If I recall, it was initially being reported as a "strange" or "bizarre" incident. But certain strobe or flashing lights, or even IMAX type movies, can induce seizures, especially in people with pre-existing conditions like epilepsy. I had never heard of Pokemon at the time, and I'm not sure I even knew of anime as a thing, though I had seen a "Galaxy Express 999" movie on HBO as early as 1984 or so. Something with a transparent female folksinger singing something about "my love is light years away".

MHM !  It was everywhere on the news, It just wasn't called Pokemon at the time, it was all over the internet as well, I remember there was AOL chatrooms that were linking the clip via Real Player. I will try to find the news clips on CNN that aired.

Shortly after this broke the news, some video games included newer refined Seizure warnings in the instruction booklets.
I am glad you remember this because it actually was a huge conversation piece at school.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/19 at 1:09 pm

MHM !  It was everywhere on the news, It just wasn't called Pokemon at the time, it was all over the internet as well, I remember there was AOL chatrooms that were linking the clip via Real Player. I will try to find the news clips on CNN that aired.

Shortly after this broke the news, some video games included newer refined Seizure warnings in the instruction booklets.
I am glad you remember this because it actually was a huge conversation piece at school.

It was also reported at the time as a possible case of mass hysteria.

Check for new replies or respond here...