inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pokemon's 1997 Infamous USA debut

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/19 at 2:41 pm

Hard to believe it, but way back in 1997 we got our first taste of what Pokemon was due to
a controversy surrounding a Japan episode that induced seizures.

For those who don't remember, Pokemon made headlines in 1997 in the United States and was all over the news.
Even the Simpsons spoofed it a year later. This would be MANY first peoples taste of who Pikachu was a FULL year
before Red & blue debuted in the United states.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bVVvRL04--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/o19f09fksxjbc0her3lm.jpg

Subject: Re: Pokemon's 1997 Infamous USA debut

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 10:52 am

guess there is no pokemon fans here

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/02/19 at 11:12 am

guess there is no pokemon fans here

Bruh, you would have got way more responses if this was a general Pokémon thread. Haha No Pokémon fan legitimately remembers it because the episode is almost non existed and the topic its self is difficult to comment on.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 11:15 am

Bruh, you would have got way more responses if this was a general Pokémon thread. Haha No Pokémon fan legitimately remembers it because the episode is almost non existed and the topic its self is difficult to comment on.

I mean not really if you have memories of 1997 ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/02/19 at 11:52 am

I mean not really if you have memories of 1997 ;)
Nah. He's right. Since the episode gave tons of kids seizures due to the strobe lights, it was banned everywhere and therefore was not aired ever again. Besides, in 1997 Pokemon wasn't much a thing yet and it was still the Power Ranger era.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/19 at 12:47 pm

I remember this incident clearly. It was covered all over the news at the time. If I recall, it was initially being reported as a "strange" or "bizarre" incident. But certain strobe or flashing lights, or even IMAX type movies, can induce seizures, especially in people with pre-existing conditions like epilepsy. I had never heard of Pokemon at the time, and I'm not sure I even knew of anime as a thing, though I had seen a "Galaxy Express 999" movie on HBO as early as 1984 or so. Something with a transparent female folksinger singing something about "my love is light years away". 

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 12:56 pm

Nah. He's right. Since the episode gave tons of kids seizures due to the strobe lights, it was banned everywhere and therefore was not aired ever again. Besides, in 1997 Pokemon wasn't much a thing yet and it was still the Power Ranger era.

Ugh no lol  Power Rangers started declining in season 3 after the movie, by the time TURBO aired in 1997 the show was almost canceled.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/19 at 12:58 pm

I remember this incident clearly. It was covered all over the news at the time. If I recall, it was initially being reported as a "strange" or "bizarre" incident. But certain strobe or flashing lights, or even IMAX type movies, can induce seizures, especially in people with pre-existing conditions like epilepsy. I had never heard of Pokemon at the time, and I'm not sure I even knew of anime as a thing, though I had seen a "Galaxy Express 999" movie on HBO as early as 1984 or so. Something with a transparent female folksinger singing something about "my love is light years away".

MHM !  It was everywhere on the news, It just wasn't called Pokemon at the time, it was all over the internet as well, I remember there was AOL chatrooms that were linking the clip via Real Player. I will try to find the news clips on CNN that aired.

Shortly after this broke the news, some video games included newer refined Seizure warnings in the instruction booklets.
I am glad you remember this because it actually was a huge conversation piece at school.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/19 at 1:09 pm

MHM !  It was everywhere on the news, It just wasn't called Pokemon at the time, it was all over the internet as well, I remember there was AOL chatrooms that were linking the clip via Real Player. I will try to find the news clips on CNN that aired.

Shortly after this broke the news, some video games included newer refined Seizure warnings in the instruction booklets.
I am glad you remember this because it actually was a huge conversation piece at school.

It was also reported at the time as a possible case of mass hysteria.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/03/19 at 10:54 pm

Nah. He's right. Since the episode gave tons of kids seizures due to the strobe lights, it was banned everywhere and therefore was not aired ever again. Besides, in 1997 Pokemon wasn't such a thing yet and it was still the Power Ranger era.
i agree, while Pokemon was huge in Japan it was pretty unknown in the West in 97. You would've had to really watch the news at the time to really known about it back then. Most Americans weren't aware of Pokemon existence until about mid 98. One of the first big Pokemon controversies that hit America was when a pastor was preaching on how demonic it is which gave Pokemon the stigma of being "evil" by evangelicals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/19 at 3:55 am

Yes, huge in Japan, but when the first film was released in 1999, it only received 15% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was dire...

Written By: DVD on 02/04/19 at 10:41 am

I do remember this being on the news and being talked about it magazines

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/19 at 10:41 am

Whoa, that's really creepy!  :o  :o  :o

Probably a case of me not paying attention, but I don't see Pokemon as a thing until like 1998, or 1999.

Written By: THE Y2K ERA on 02/04/19 at 10:58 am

yikes

Check for new replies or respond here...