inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you listen to Nirvana in the 90s?

Written By: temaichi on 02/14/19 at 6:46 pm

I wasn`t around back then so i have no clue about how big they really were or how often they were being played in the radio.
If you were around during the 90s and you were a Nirvana fan or atleast a listener. Tell me how that experience was like. Did anyone in your age group at the time listen to them? How big were they anyways? Did you ever own a record from the band? What else can you remember from Nirvana? Let me know!

I started listening to Nirvana properly in December of 2017 and i`ve been a fan ever since!
My fav album is "Nevermind" and my fav song is "Come As You Are." :)

Subject: Did you listen to Nirvana in the 90s?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/15/19 at 1:03 pm

No I havent really ever liked them........ At Woodstock 94 I have almost all of thier concert on VHS....... Its Ok i suppose

Subject: Re: Did you listen to Nirvana in the 90s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/15/19 at 1:29 pm

I wasn`t around back then so i have no clue about how big they really were or how often they were being played in the radio.
If you were around during the 90s and you were a Nirvana fan or atleast a listener. Tell me how that experience was like. Did anyone in your age group at the time listen to them? How big were they anyways? Did you ever own a record from the band? What else can you remember from Nirvana? Let me know!

I started listening to Nirvana properly in December of 2017 and i`ve been a fan ever since!

They were huge. Although I was never a fan and could not see what the fuss was about. I thought Kurt Cobain was kind of a whiny little bitch, but people worshiped him, and, of course, he was elevated to Godlike status after his untimely death. It was the final period of the MTV monoculture era and what really put Nirvana into the stratosphere was the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. And then their "MTV Unplugged" appearance which was a major big deal.  As history played itself out, it turns out that, like him or not, Kurt Cobain was the last rock star.  Growing up in the 60s and 70s as I did, I never thought rock would end per se. "Rock and roll is here to stay" was our cry, along with the "sex drugs and rock and roll!" maxim, a creed that many lived-and died-by.  But it did end and Cobain, short though his career was, was the last of the big ones.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/15/19 at 2:01 pm

yes i did, and noone born after 1985 could possibly remember that as they were just little kids with no memory of the early 90s of the time

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/15/19 at 5:34 pm

They were huge. Although I was never a fan and could not see what the fuss was about. I thought Kurt Cobain was kind of a whiny little bitch, but people worshiped him, and, of course, he was elevated to Godlike status after his untimely death. It was the final period of the MTV monoculture era and what really put Nirvana into the stratosphere was the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. And then their "MTV Unplugged" appearance which was a major big deal.  As history played itself out, it turns out that, like him or not, Kurt Cobain was the last rock star.  Growing up in the 60s and 70s as I did, I never thought rock would end per se. "Rock and roll is here to stay" was our cry, along with the "sex drugs and rock and roll!" maxim, a creed that many lived-and died-by.  But it did end and Cobain, short though his career was, was the last of the big ones.
A lot of people say Rock peak around that time then faltered towards the 2nd half of the 90s with nu-metal and pop-punk replacing grunge.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/15/19 at 6:36 pm

A lot of people say Rock peak around that time then faltered towards the 2nd half of the 90s with nu-metal and pop-punk replacing grunge.

Rock peaked from 1965-1975, an absolute Golden Age of music. Music drove the culture during that era.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/15/19 at 7:47 pm

I like them. Yes, Kurt comes off whiny, sometimes.  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

As for rock, imo it peaked from 1964 to 1984!

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/15/19 at 10:08 pm

I was too young to be a fan or an active listener during their heyday but I distinctly remember the world before, during, and after Nirvana. Before Nirvana, pop culture had this kind narrative going on like..."THIS IS THE 90s!" There was definitely a particular feel to it but Nirvana really did propel a kinda of energy into the 90s that was previously dormant. Before Nirvana, music was all Mariah Carey, Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Aerosmithy. Sometimes I actually kind of miss that era but I'm sure if I went back and experienced it, I would have hated it. Nirvana came on the scene and suddenly rock went from being all ballad-y and last days of hair metal-y to grungey. Rap went from Vanilla Ice and Mc Hammer to Dr Dre, Tupac, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. Things just kind of became more serious and angsty suddenly...at least from my point of view.

I remember there was this feeling in the air like MTV, rock, and much of pop culture didn't know what to do with itself again after Cobain offed himself. So much energy was put into Cobain. He was like some kind of figurehead. I can't put my finger on it but grunge culture really lived on borrowed time after he died. Same with gangsta rap with Tupac and Biggie. By 1997, both of those genres were transforming or on their way out.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/15/19 at 10:15 pm

I was too young to be a fan or an active listener during their heyday but I distinctly remember the world before, during, and after Nirvana. Before Nirvana, pop culture had this kind narrative going on like..."THIS IS THE 90s!" There was definitely a particular feel to it but Nirvana really did propel a kinda of energy into the 90s that was previously dormant. Before Nirvana, music was all Mariah Carey, Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Aerosmithy. Sometimes I actually kind of miss that era but I'm sure if I went back and experienced it, I would have hated it. Nirvana came on the scene and suddenly rock went from being all ballad-y and last days of hair metal-y to grungey. Rap went from Vanilla Ice and Mc Hammer to Dr Dre, Tupac, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. Things just kind of became more serious and angsty suddenly...at least from my point of view.

I remember there was this feeling in the air like MTV, rock, and much of pop culture didn't know what to do with itself again after Cobain offed himself. So much energy was put into Cobain. He was like some kind of figurehead. I can't put my finger on it but grunge culture really lived on borrowed time after he died. Same with gangsta rap with Tupac and Biggie. By 1997, both of those genres were transforming or on their way out.

you were just a little 4/5 year old kid when nirvana came on the scene, no way do you remember anything before 1993

get outta here.....

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/15/19 at 10:17 pm

you were just a little 4/5 year old kid when nirvana came on the scene, no way do you remember anything before 1993

get outta here.....

Um. I remember the commercials for the Rugrats pilot quite vividly.

Just because your memory is shotty doesn't mean everyone else's is. You get outta here.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/19 at 8:33 am

I can't put my finger on it but grunge culture really lived on borrowed time after he died. 

You hit on something kind of interesting there. Grunge would have been on borrowed time even if Cobain had lived. Though, as I said previously, I was not a fan, if Cobain had lived and was even half the artist his many followers gave him credit for, at some point--probably sooner than later--he would have grown and evolved into some other style of music, just as all true artists do from Dylan to the Beatles and beyond. Grunge would have been left in the dust, with may of it's lesser lights no doubt following Cobain's lead into whatever direction he went in next, just as people did with Dylan, Beatles, etc, two and a half decades before. Then, of course, you always have the stick-in-the-mud fans who say "I only like their old stuff", or 'whats this? he's doing a COUNTRY album???" or "he's doing an album of LUTE music??" or some such. Such fans lack vision and fail to grow along with the artist they claim to love.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/16/19 at 12:13 pm

Um. I remember the commercials for the Rugrats pilot quite vividly.

hahaha, we were talking about the music scene of the early 90s not kiddy shows lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/16/19 at 1:04 pm

hahaha, we were talking about the music scene of the early 90s not kiddy shows lol

The whole point is that my memory from somewhere in 1990 and onward is good enough for me to contribute.

My parents partied all the time when I was younger. There was constantly music and partying around me when I was young and I surrounded by music lovers constantly trying to get me to listen to what they thought was "real music".

I didn't participate in the scenes but I knew people who did.

Btw. Do you have anything to contribute to this thread or are you here just to fight with anyone born after 85? Sure seems like it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/16/19 at 1:18 pm

You hit on something kind of interesting there. Grunge would have been on borrowed time even if Cobain had lived. Though, as I said previously, I was not a fan, if Cobain had lived and was even half the artist his many followers gave him credit for, at some point--probably sooner than later--he would have grown and evolved into some other style of music, just as all true artists do from Dylan to the Beatles and beyond. Grunge would have been left in the dust, with may of it's lesser lights no doubt following Cobain's lead into whatever direction he went in next, just as people did with Dylan, Beatles, etc, two and a half decades before. Then, of course, you always have the stick-in-the-mud fans who say "I only like their old stuff", or 'whats this? he's doing a COUNTRY album???" or "he's doing an album of LUTE music??" or some such. Such fans lack vision and fail to grow along with the artist they claim to love.

Definitely, Cobain was open-minded and wasn't as big of a stick in the mud as many of his fans. He was very interested in other kinds of music. Many of his fans disliked rap music but Cobain really appreciated rap music. Call Cobain whiny all you like but he really stuck to his guns when it came to what he believed in.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/16/19 at 2:12 pm

Definitely, Cobain was open-minded and wasn't as big of a stick in the mud as many of his fans. He was very interested in other kinds of music. Many of his fans disliked rap music but Cobain really liked appreciated rap music. Call Cobain whiny all you like but he really stuck to his guns when it came to what he believed in.
The fanbase of an artist are more close-minded than the artist themselves.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/19 at 4:12 pm

The fanbase of an artist are more close-minded than the artist themselves.

Correction: SOME of the fanbase of an artist are more close-minded than the artist themselves.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/16/19 at 5:06 pm

Another thing...I remember there being a lot of hate for Courtney Love during the mid and late 90s. To this day I remember walking around middle school with my gothy friends and them ranting about how Courtney Love murdered Cobain.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/16/19 at 7:26 pm

Of course, I loved listening to them as a 9-month-old baby.  ::)

Jokes aside, I was obviously way too young to have listened to Nirvana (or any non-Wiggles band) during the '90s, but my Gen-X parents listened to them. My Dad can actually remember the moment he listened to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the very first time.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/16/19 at 8:52 pm

Of course, I loved listening to them as a 9-month-old baby.  ::)

Jokes aside, I was obviously way too young to have listened to Nirvana (or any non-Wiggles band) during the '90s, but my Gen-X parents listened to them. My Dad can actually remember the moment he listened to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the very first time.
By the time you were born Korn and Limp Bizkit had already token over the alt rock scene. I bet Miss Al can say that since she was born in 94 when grunge was still mainstream.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/16/19 at 9:58 pm

By the time you were born Korn and Limp Bizkit had already token over the alt rock scene. I bet Miss Al can say that since she was born in 94 when grunge was still mainstream.

This was definitely my scene during high school but I was way more of a Deftones, Glassjaw, Mars Volta guy

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/16/19 at 10:58 pm

More about the topic.

I knew nothing about Nirvana and then suddenly Smells Like Teen Spirit was on MTV after every other song it felt like. I noticed more of an adoption of dressed down "grunge" fashion. It's kinda funny because you really didn't need much to dress grunge back then. Now, whenever people dress grunge, they look like super fashionistas when they do it. It's a huge contradiction. Real grungers back then didn't look the least bit modelesque.

I remember seeing the video for Heart Shaped Box a few times. By this time, Nirvana was definitely not the hot new thing in 93 or 94 but they were still a big deal in a symbolic or figurative sense.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/17/19 at 12:32 pm

More about the topic.

I knew nothing about Nirvana and then suddenly Smells Like Teen Spirit was on MTV after every other song it felt like. I noticed more of an adoption of dressed down "grunge" fashion. It's kinda funny because you really didn't need much to dress grunge back then. Now, whenever people dress grunge, they look like super fashionistas when they do it. It's a huge contradiction. Real grungers back then didn't look the least bit modelesque.

I remember seeing the video for Heart Shaped Box a few times. By this time, Nirvana was definitely not the hot new thing in 93 or 94 but they were still a big deal in a symbolic or figurative sense.

you knew about fashion eventhough you were what 5?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/17/19 at 2:18 pm

you knew about fashion eventhough you were what 5?

I'm remembering what I saw when I was 5 and making my interpretation.

BTW, 3 is the average age when people start having lucid memories. And you should ask a 5 year old what kind of clothes they like to wear. They aren't complete idiots. They are perfectly capable of interpreting fashion.

Written By: 90s Bastard on 02/17/19 at 3:57 pm

JackSepton = John Titor trying to get around its ban

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/17/19 at 10:40 pm

Maybe. I just want them to add something real and substantial.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/18/19 at 7:34 pm

This was definitely my scene during high school but I was way more of a Deftones, Glassjaw, Mars Volta guy
I'm just getting into defnotes, I heard great things about the band. Since I like nu-metal I think I'll enjoy them. I know that forum of metal gets a mixed reception from core metalheads but as a hip-hop fan I can vibe with nu-metal easily.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/19 at 7:48 pm

They keep derailing threads by asking people what age they are and then telling them they're not a x0s decade kid. One trick pony.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/18/19 at 10:47 pm

I'm just getting into defnotes, I heard great things about the band. Since I like nu-metal I think I'll enjoy them. I know that forum of metal gets a mixed reception from core metalheads but as a hip-hop fan I can vibe with nu-metal easily.

That's kind of the thing about Deftones, they're kinda also not a nu-metal band and they've made obvious distancing moves from nu-metal so I definitely wouldn't approach them with a nu-metal frame of mind. At least not completely.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/19/19 at 1:34 am

That's kind of the thing about Deftones, they're kinda also not a nu-metal band and they've made obvious distancing moves from nu-metal so I definitely wouldn't approach them with a nu-metal frame of mind. At least not completely.
Sounds kinda similar to P.O.D.  I just listened to one of their hits songs sharks and it doesn't sound quite nu-metal but still a great song. I will check more out of more of their songs. Getting back on topic would you say Deftones were influence by the grunge sound in anyway shape or form since they came out right when grunge was declining. Nirvana was known for having melo but still a hard sound, defnotes earlier records obviously had more of a groove to it but still felt more melo and less ampy than lets say a limp bizkit

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/19/19 at 11:14 am

Sounds kinda similar to P.O.D.  I just listened to one of their hits songs sharks and it doesn't sound quite nu-metal but still a great song. I will check more out of more of their songs. Getting back on topic would you say Deftones were influence by the grunge sound in anyway shape or form since they came out right when grunge was declining. Nirvana was known for having melo but still a hard sound, defnotes earlier records obviously had more of a groove to it but still felt more melo and less ampy than lets say a limp bizkit

I found this interview:

Z90FOz1ILiE

They didn't have much to say but that clip definitely let us know they listened to Nirvana. I think Deftones' "mello", atmospheric vibe comes from their love for 80s new wave. They are heavily influenced by Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and The Cure, and I think those inspirations are what gives their metal sound the unique vibe Deftones has.

I definitely think nu-metal, which Deftones totally were during the Adrenaline era probably wouldn't have been as big as it was at the turn of the millennium without the popularity of grunge. So yeah, all in all, I definitely think Deftones and nu-metal, in general, drew at least some inspiration from grunge and possibly Nirvana.

I was also really big into Incubus' music back then. Not that that matters that much, I'm just now remembering. lol

Written By: temaichi on 02/19/19 at 7:57 pm

I found this interview:

Z90FOz1ILiE

They didn't have much to say but that clip definitely let us know they listened to Nirvana. I think Deftones' "mello", atmospheric vibe comes from their love for 80s new wave. They are heavily influenced by Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and The Cure, and I think those inspirations are what gives their metal sound the unique vibe Deftones has.

I definitely think nu-metal, which Deftones totally were during the Adrenaline era probably wouldn't have been as big as it was at the turn of the millennium without the popularity of grunge. So yeah, all in all, I definitely think Deftones and nu-metal, in general, drew at least some inspiration from grunge and possibly Nirvana.

I was also really big into Incubus' music back then. Not that that matters that much, I'm just now remembering. lol

Incubus are brilliant. I love "Drive" and "Dig." What are your favs?
Discovered them in September of 17` through a reaction video from the Fine Bros.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/19/19 at 8:35 pm

Incubus are brilliant. I love "Drive" and "Dig." What are your favs?
Discovered them in September of 17` through a reaction video from the Fine Bros.

Top 5 Incubus Songs (subject to change :) )
1. Stellar
2. Dig
3. Nebula
4. When It Comes
5. New Skin

I like Drive but I'm kinda over the song at the same time. lol. It was overplayed to the nth degree. Dig, however, I feel is a good enough song that couldn't be overplayed no matter how many times I listen to it (so far). I just think Drive was my least favorite song on Make Yourself.
I discovered Incubus when Pardon Me hit TRL back in 1999 but I fell headfirst in love with Stellar. I think Incubus was the first rock band I truly got into. I liked rock songs here and there throughout my life but I never really got into a band before Incubus. Man, I remember spending a week at a beach house my family rented August of 2000. I would run back to the house from wherever I was to catch Stellar on TRL. Oddly enough, S.C.I.E.N.C.E was my first Incubus album. That album is them at their most alternative 90s. DO NOT sleep on that album. Sure, its Incubus before Incubus really found their sound but I think that album is slept on way too hard.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/20/19 at 12:09 am

I found this interview:

Z90FOz1ILiE

Trash metal bands like Pantera, Rage Against the Machine and Anthrex also influenced nu-metal with Pantera adding a grove sound, Rage against the machine adding a turn-tables and Anthrax doing a song with Public Enemy. Trash metal and gunmetal are pretty simliar in a way that both are gateway drugs to metal since they don't rely to heavily on loud screams like Death Metal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/19 at 9:40 am

I gave them a miss even back then.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/19 at 2:47 am

And...

why?

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/02/19 at 2:16 pm

Here is a funny video of Bill Burr explaining his dissatisfaction with the Nirvana era when he was early 20s to mid 29s hair metal guy.

ZX5KwUNgaCI

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/19 at 5:57 pm

And...

why?

I was listening to music that was (and now) pleasant to the ear.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/08/19 at 3:29 am

Growing up with all the stuff in the 80s when I first heard Nirvana it was groundbreaking. They were awesome. I saw them play a show in 93, he started singing It’s the End of the World- by Rem. Hilarious.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/09/19 at 1:49 am

The closet big rockstar we had post Kurt Cobian was Korn but they were big as a collrctive rather than just the lead singer.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/19/19 at 7:03 am

I got really into them in 1996.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 4:47 pm

No, I never listened to Nirvana in the 90s. My first exposure to them was probably on MTV from Beavis and Butthead or hearing of Kurt Cobain passing away on MTV News.

Check for new replies or respond here...