inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Moloko

Written By: humaeast on 03/26/19 at 3:16 pm

Anybody remember Moloko? They were part of the electronica hype of the late 90s. Most of you know them for their 1999 hit "Sing it Back"...Y-ixLOQ3lXE

but they had two more songs out in America before that! The first was "Fun for Me" in 1997, which some of you know as being featured in the movie Batman & Robin...
V1qF2Af_bZs

It reached 4 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart on July 3rd, 1997 and prompted Moloko to start their US invasion, which saw them release their first album, Do You Like My Tight Sweater?, in the US.

A year later, in 1998, a second single was released from the album as a follow-up. This song was "Day for Night."

GKs7IkLr_j4

It charted 37 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart and peaked on May 23rd, 1998. But the thing is, we don't know if "Day for Night" was the original song or Blakdoktor's Afterglow Mix, released as a promotional single in 1997. The failure of this song is probably why we didn't get any other singles from Do You Like My Tight Sweater?

But come summer 1999, when Boris D's unsolicited musical mix of Moloko's song "Sing it Back" on their second, non-US album I Am Not a Doctor is being played in clubs in Miami, Warner Bros. Records (still the US publishers of Moloko) decides to make it official and release it under their label! Thus Moloko reaches 1 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart that August and their legacy was cemented, sorting them with the French house artists like Modjo and other dance groups, when they STARTED OUT DOING TRIP-HOP. (Minus Blakdoktor's Afterglow Mix of "Day for Night," which is currently not online but will soon be, because I bought the promotional single off Amazon.)

Now how about you? Aside from "Sing it Back," which all of you probably remember, do you remember Moloko's first album Do You Like My Tight Sweater? and songs "Fun for Me" and "Day for Night" (Blakdoktor's Afterglow Mix or not)? Let me know in the replies. Cheers! ;)

Subject: Re: Moloko

Written By: violet_shy on 03/26/19 at 3:34 pm

Vaguely.

I don't think they had much radio play here in the north east usa.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/19 at 11:08 am

Remember yes, also liked their name, for they named themselves after the milk alcoholic drink in "A Clockwork Orange".

Written By: humaeast on 04/26/19 at 6:24 pm

Remember yes, also liked their name, for they named themselves after the milk alcoholic drink in "A Clockwork Orange".

Yes. What songs of theirs do you remember? The three I listed? I have the Day for Night remix...

iYGrU8NYrio

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 8:26 am

Yes. What songs of theirs do you remember? The three I listed? I have the Day for Night remix...
"Sing It Back" is the one I remember the most. It was released as a single on 15 March 1999, reaching number 45 on the UK Singles Chart. The song experienced chart success after it was remixed by DJ Boris Dlugosch, peaking at number four in the UK in August 1999.

Written By: humaeast on 05/01/19 at 2:22 pm

"Sing It Back" is the one I remember the most. It was released as a single on 15 March 1999, reaching number 45 on the UK Singles Chart. The song experienced chart success after it was remixed by DJ Boris Dlugosch, peaking at number four in the UK in August 1999.

Of COURSE everybody remembers "Sing It Back." It's almost as if "Fun For Me" never happened. And the album "Sing It Back" was on never got released in the US because of the failure of that remix I posted above!

Check for new replies or respond here...